Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Difference of Opinion
    • By Difference of Opinion 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Difference of Opinion
    0 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England 25th Aug 17 at 9:47 AM
    Can you still join the Scottish National Trust and use it at English properties. Does this loophole still exist, as it is significantly cheaper to join the Scottish National Trust then the English National Trust. Annually joint membership is 63 compared to 108
Page 4
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 22nd Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    Many thanks for that !!!55357;!!!56898;
    Originally posted by SARAHSW19
    What's with the numbers? Seen several posts recently with numbers in them. I don't understand what they are. .....or am I missing something here?
    • awindup
    • By awindup 2nd Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    awindup
    I don't like this thread
    Although I'm all for saving money. Isn't the whole point of the National Trust is that it is funded by its members and it's donations. If you want to visit these beautiful places keep them running and keep them owned by the National Trust surely the whole point is to make sure you give them your money. Joining the Scottish National Trust I'm quite happy with because it's still a National Trust bank account it goes into but joining overseas the National Trust does not benefit in any way whatsoever. Therefore all you're doing is trampling all over the property causing it to deteriorate and not contributing to its repair. You may benefit today but your children will lose out tomorrow #justsaying
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 2nd Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Obviously we're all fully entitled to share our views and opinions, as is the case here - and, of course, no-one would argue that that's anything other than absolutely fine. But I wish the detractors would come up with an original or, at least, slightly different, argument coz those here who have chosen to subscribe to alternative (legitimate) means of entry (alternative to the English National Trust, that is) have heard it all before.... so many, many times.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 2nd Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 6,622 Posts
    • 19,491 Thanks
    Doc N
    Obviously we're all fully entitled to share our views and opinions, as is the case here - and, of course, no-one would argue that that's anything other than absolutely fine. But I wish the detractors would come up with an original or, at least, slightly different, argument coz those here who have chosen to subscribe to alternative (legitimate) means of entry (alternative to the English National Trust, that is) have heard it all before.... so many, many times.
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    Why the need for an 'original, or slightly different argument'?

There is only the one argument really - by manipulating the generous reciprocal arrangements which the National Trust has with certain other bodies you're depriving the National Trust of the money it needs to maintain the properties you're so keen to visit but don't want to pay for.

Those other bodies, as you well know, have reciprocal arrangements to benefit their members living in the relevant locations (Scotland and New Zealand, for example). The National Trust did not intend to extend cost-free membership rights to people living in England who just prefer not to give it any money.

The fact that you can - for now - get away with it doesn't make it right, any more than forging an entrance ticket is right. You may try to justify it, with the usual trite arguments about spending in the shop etc, but you can apply that to any situation where you just don't want to pay for something that requires payment.

If you're happy about cheating the NT out of money - fine. But the sooner they introduce the requirement to produce proof of residence in the relevant country, as well as the membership card, the better.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 2nd Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    fred246
    I always imagine that if you are that obsessed with seeing properties without paying that you could just refuse to pay and just barge past the poor volunteer manning the door. They could only phone the police and I couldn't imagine them being too impressed rushing to a National Trust Property because someone had refused to pay.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 2nd Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Great to get replies so quickly ... much obliged.

However, in the same way I said it would be good to get a fresh approach to your disapproval, I must concede I can't offer anything in the way of a novel response that hasn't been covered in this particular thread, and in similar, concurrent, threads.

So I guess you good people are going to have to continue wishing ill upon me and my ilk until such time as the ENT realise what thorough bounders we all are, and do something about it. But, strangely enough, they've had long enough to do it and seem a trifle reluctant.

By the way, I recently won an auction for a 2018 Handbook and windscreen sticker ... all for the price of a pint. You'd better start lobbying Ebay and complaining to them for their part in the conspiracy.

Finally, I see the pen-name ""awindup" above. Maybe that's the key to the whole affair?

#justsaying
    • lenht1951
    • By lenht1951 11th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lenht1951
    If the National Trust were less blinkered, and more business like, they would be able to see that if they reduced membership costs they would increase footfall, which in return would also increase sales at their locations. 114 per annum membership per couple for a few visits every year is hardly worthwhile. Even senior citizens are only offered reduced rate if they have been a member for 5 years. If the fees were less I wold have no hesitation at joining.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 11th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Well said, but regrettably the English National Trust aren't listening and the sheeple on forums such as this one don't want to hear such blasphemy. They hold the view that we should all cough up the sort of subs that you mention and be grateful that they allow us to enter the holy soil within.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 11th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    beefturnmail

There is only the one argument really - by manipulating the generous reciprocal arrangements which the National Trust has with certain other bodies you're depriving the National Trust of the money it needs to maintain the properties you're so keen to visit but don't want to pay for.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    By not manipulating those arrangements you are depriving those certain other bodies of the money they need to maintain their properties
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,941 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's too pricey for most. For some it's worth it because they happen to live close to 2-3 great places where they can benefit by using it as a "place to go when it's wet" ... or for their car parks, which might be handy for a few others. Some venues have "free events" and stuff going on (especially for families), so it can work out a reasonable cost.

For me, the nearest NT property of any use whatsoever is a 10 of fuel round trip.... and it's not even got an "indoors bit" when it's cold/wet/windy. It's 30 miles away.

I could just go there once (seen it then) and it's 9.50, plus 10 to get there/back, plus parking fees of course.... bit of a pricey day out to stand and look at a ruin for an hour or so. A family with 3 kids could be in the next car to me and get the same for 24 between them all, so it looks like better value to groups/families.

To join the NT would cost me 69. That's a lot of money .... couples only pay 57 each and families pay 120/year for up to 5 of them.

It's pricey, there's not a lot round here, it's of no benefit to me.

If it were, say, 25/year and there were 2-3 within 20 miles, with stuff going on sometimes, I'd think about it.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-04-2018 at 3:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,656Users online

Martin's Twitter