Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices (Part 3)

Comments

• ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2017 at 9:02AM
    You can hope it is Merkel, if Schultz replaces her he is looking at the hardest possible Brexit (possibly satisfying the hard core Brexiteers till the day after)
    its not in Germanys or UK interest to have a very hard brexit and I'm sure a settlement will be reached. The vote has been taken and we are leaving so both sides will have to come to terms with it. I voted remain and am very disapointed in the way the EU is behaving and I believe it shows them in a very bad light.

I have the impression that for some reason you want the worse outcome for the UK.
  • ukcarper
    There will be a settling of accounts. But you seem to believe that the EU27 are willing to jeopardise the whole European Union because of the UK contribution is no longer there.

Yes, the UK will no longer contribute, yes, Brexit is happening and the UK is leaving but to think that the whole EU will collapse or bend backwards is silly.
    It has been made clear that the UK had the best deal was inside the EU.

Didn't Cameron came back empty handed despite the threat of Brexit?
    Do you believe they're going to bake an even better deal to plug the UK contribution?
    Do really believe the EU don't know about the fact current UK contribution won't be there in the future?

Folks in the UK keep spinning the "UK contribution" as the leverage that will make everything turn but there is not much to spin really.
    You make it sounds as if the EU27 are poor countries needing some sort of donations from the UK to keep afloat but don't forget that these countries are buying 44% of your products and services totalling £240B and your net contribution is less than 4% of that amount.

And yes, 50% of UK imports are from the EU, the UK can switch and import from somewhere else, but so can the EU. Things change, budgets get adjusted, Que sera, sera, I don't know what you are reading but there is no much panic in the EU. The UK is not to centre of the universe...
    I don't think the lose of our contributions will cause the EU to fail, but it will make it change, it could fail due to other reasons but that would be the case if we hadn't voted to leave.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    ukcarper wrote: »
    I voted remain and am very disapointed in the way the EU is behaving and I believe it shows them in a very bad light.

I have the impression that for some reason you want the worse outcome for the UK.

What exactly disappoints you about the EU behaviour? Be specific.
    I don't want a bad outcome for the UK but I don't think it is in the EU27 best interest to bend backwards and accommodate the UK.
    (i.e. trading as if the UK is in the EU, minus contribution and FoM)
    EU expat working in London
  • ukcarper
    What exactly disappoints you about the EU behaviour? Be specific.
    I don't want a bad outcome for the UK but I don't think it is in the EU27 best interest to bend backwards and accommodate the UK.
    (i.e. trading as if the UK is in the EU, minus contribution and FoM)
    I don't expect them to bend over backwards and I fully expect not to get many of the things that we are asking for but the EU are not being flexible at all, perhaps it because of the they way the EU negotiating team is set up. There is a big difference between bending over backwards and compromising.
  • always_sunny
    I don't expect them to bend over backwards and I fully expect not to get many of the things that we are asking for but the EU are not being flexible at all, perhaps it because of the they way the EU negotiating team is set up. There is a big difference between bending over backwards and compromising.

What is the compromise the UK wishes to seek that you believe it is not being accommodated?
    Be as specific as possible.
  • ukcarper
    What is the compromise the UK wishes to seek that you believe it is not being accommodated?
    Be as specific as possible.
    I'm not part of the negotiating team so I have no idea what they are prepared to accept, but I feel the EU are asking to much for a leaving fee, I accept we there are things we have committed to but the if the EU want such a high figure they should present it in detail I mean put figures to individual items, also if we are pulling out of the European court they cannot reasonably expect it to have sway over our courts.
  • always_sunny
    I'm not part of the negotiating team so I have no idea what they are prepared to accept, but I feel the EU are asking to much for a leaving fee, I accept we there are things we have committed to but the if the EU want such a high figure they should present it in detail I mean put figures to individual items, also if we are pulling out of the European court they cannot reasonably expect it to have sway over our courts.

So it is based on a 'feeling' rather than actual inflexibility?

How much have the EU asked? Official figure.
    The EU does not want to have any sway over British courts,after Brexit, however there will need to be arbitration between the EU member states and the UK. What is the UK suggestion that you feel the EU hasn't taken into consideration?

ECJ is again one of those things folks in the UK are obsessed with, last year 23 cases were referred to it from the UK. Like the bendy bananas, storm in a teacup.
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    So it is based on a 'feeling' rather than actual inflexibility?

How much have the EU asked? Official figure.
    The EU does not want to have any sway over British courts,after Brexit, however there will need to be arbitration between the EU member states and the UK. What is the UK suggestion that you feel the EU hasn't taken into consideration?

ECJ is again one of those things folks in the UK are obsessed with, last year 23 cases were referred to it from the UK. Like the bendy bananas, storm in a teacup.

The EU has not moved one millimeter from its position papers. In your eyes, we can assume that they are demonstrating flexibility. And if you really believe that insisting on ECJ having jurisdiction over people living in the UK is not wanting to have any sway over UK courts then you are seriously deluded.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why would they if the UK haven't offered them anything worthwhile?

It's a total fallacy to assume both sides must meet in the middle, especially with such imbalanced parties.
  • always_sunny
    cogito wrote: »
    The EU has not moved one millimeter from its position papers. In your eyes, we can assume that they are demonstrating flexibility. And if you really believe that insisting on ECJ having jurisdiction over people living in the UK is not wanting to have any sway over UK courts then you are seriously deluded.

Give me an example of this jurisdiction that affects your daily life. Be specific.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport