Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices (Part 3)

Comments

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    That will be down to future UK governments of the day to decide which regulations to bin but one I would like binned soon after we leave this m afia led political cartel is below.

Currently there are thousands and I mean thousands of legally owned deactivated weapons owned by historical re-enactors which (since the new EU rules came into force) which cannot be sold legally unless they are sent away to have extra deactivation work carried out which will cost upwards of £120-00 per weapon and then they need to be sent off to the London/Birmingham proof house to be re certified ,also at an additional cost of around £120-00 per weapon. So its quite possible to own a weapon which you cannot legally sell and is now worthless. Currently the UK system allows the deacts to be field stripped and dry fired which for education purposes is great but the new EU regs butcher the weapons so they can't do either.

When the EU decided to change rules on deacts they could have taken on board the UK certification process which is excellent by the way but they were too arogant to do they so they took on board the advice from a couple of liberal lefty EU MEP's who carried out a report rather than just taking on a system that worked (UK ). Now the weapons are basically butchered so they are completely welded up, can't be field stripped etc.

So we have a problem with too many uncontrolled firearms lurking around the UK and EU that have the potential to be used for organised crime across national borders. So there is a need for guns in private ownership to either be properly controlled or permanently deactivated.

You favour "deactivation" to allow them to be field stripped and deactivated. Personally it makes sense to me to make deactivation "irreversible" and if that means welding then I do not see any problem. Cannot education be provided using other means?

Is it illegal to 3D print a firearm for educational purposes?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Private_Church
    Private_Church Posts: 532 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 9:49PM
    BobQ wrote: »
    So we have a problem with too many uncontrolled firearms lurking around the UK and EU that have the potential to be used for organised crime across national borders. So there is a need for guns in private ownership to either be properly controlled or permanently deactivated.

Live firing Weapons

Freedom of movement across the EU has resulted in the whole continent being flooded with semi and fully automatic weapons mainly from Eastern Europe and its a shame the EU chose to ignore the blindingly obvious consequences of an Open border policy. But hey lets now shut the gate after the horse has bolted..........Same old story penalise the legal responsible gun owners knowing the naughty bys will continue to stick 2 fingers up at the EU.
    You favour "deactivation" to allow them to be field stripped and deactivated. Personally it makes sense to me to make deactivation "irreversible" and if that means welding then I do not see any problem. Cannot education be provided using other means?
    Deactivated Weapons

The issue is Bob the UK certification has proved to be successful in that when each gun is deactivated under UK spec its impossible to re activate. The problem arose ,and most remain voters won't like the fact but it is true that other countries carried out token effort deactivation work like the Czech Republic who basically certified guns as deacts having had a metal rod hammered up the barrel. This ,obviously isn't acceptable because its easy to just pull the rod/bar out and hey presto you have a live firing machine gun. This was in no way the fault of the UK but rather than take the Czech Republic etc to task the EU chose to show its muscles and penalise the whole of the EU.

I reiterate the UK method of deactivation works well but allows the guns to dry fire and be field stripped but never re activated. When you block up the barrel, drill a hole in the top of the barrel, grind the firing pin at 45 degrees etc the gun is useless as a live firing firearm.

The question needs to be asked why did the EU choose not to adopt the UK specification when its been proved to work. It smacks of the EU making legislation for the sake of legislation.

Education wise I think much is lost if you can't dry fire or field strip. For instance the Russian DP28 machine gun when dry fired has enormous recoil so school children and adults can see for themselves what it was like to pull the trigger and feel the bolt slam back even without a live bullet. The British sten gun was a very agricutural piece of engineering so field stipping it can show just how basic it was and this was true for many WW2 weapons. Its also worth noting that re-enactors like to be true to the hobby so bushcraft, weapons training,weapons stripping ,marching ,daily duties are carried exactly as they would have been done during WW1 or 2.

My son belongs to a group of around 80 members who do WW2 Russian but there are thousands and thousands of Re-enactors across the UK and mainland Europe. We go to various shows each year including Military Odyssey down in Kent where thousands of re-enactors meet each year. You can see re-enactors doing Japanese Shogun,Saxons,17th & 18th Century British Army, Spanish Catalans who come over and do 18th Century Spanish to French or Polish Re-enactors doing Russian,Free French, American Civil war (Union and Confederates) and German re-enactors coming over to do German WW1.
    Is it illegal to 3D print a firearm for educational purposes?
    Good question and I have no idea. I think if it is legal it may work for educational purposes but you also need to consider people like to own weapons,clothing,medals etc etc etc that are contemporary to the historic era they re-enact. Its no different in that respect to a collector who has 17th Century English silver, they wouldn't want a 20th century copy .
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    Interesting reply Private C, thank you.

I can see that there may be a case for retaining the UK law for internal use. I wonder how that would square the "open border" ideas for Ireland.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • mrginge wrote: »
    Struggling with the concept of how a general election works now are we?

Mayhem made the GM all about supporting her vision of a hard Brexit.

She said it was vital for Brexit to give her an increased majority.

And instead of that she lost her majority as the British Public punished her for such extremist thinking.

Forcing the Tories to bribe the DUP with £1.5 BILLION in taxpayer money in a shameless attempt to stay in power.

What a mess...
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    cogito wrote: »
    My thoughts too but Cameron asked for that and didn't get it. In any case it would require revocation of European Citizens Rights Directive 2004/38/EC for that to happen and it won't because it requires unanimous consent of all members.

Yes, but it wouldn't be a weakening of FoM according to EU law, just the way the law itself is applied in the UK.

Other EU countries can (and do) remove EU citizens who don't play by the rules, where the UK has previously decided not to do so.

We could do more, just not as much as the racists and fantasists leading Conservatives now would like.
    💙💛 💔
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 7:10AM
    The very nature of our democracy is at stake. The Tories behaving in a most recalcitrant way with a lust for power that would have made Stalin green with envy. This from a party led by a leader who called a general election to avoid parliamentary scrutiny and after being rejected by the voter in that she lost the numerical majority which she held now seeks to avoid the same parliamentary scrutiny by usurping the time and tested practices of parliament. The Tories led by Theresa May are usurping democracy for their own ends. Parliament is set to become a rubber stamp and that cannot be countenanced. The argument is no longer about leave or remain it is about the very foundations of the democratic institution of Parliament. Shameful!
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    Yet another opinion piece from a neo-liberal author preparing his next book?
    :rotfl:
    Are you really so desperate?
    *sigh*
    Okay, since you seem to like opinion pieces see this:
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/brexit-media-coverage-ignores-good-news-theres-lots/

The majority of your sources are pretty obscure to be frank. If you scrape the barrel hard enough you'll always find something on the Internet to back up your position. My sources are quality mainstream views.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Good question and I have no idea. I think if it is legal it may work for educational purposes but you also need to consider people like to own weapons,clothing,medals etc etc etc that are contemporary to the historic era they re-enact. Its no different in that respect to a collector who has 17th Century English silver, they wouldn't want a 20th century copy .

That's true.

Is there any way that the UK regulations are more stringent than the EU ones meaning there will be no required change in the law?

I seem to remember you saying no before however I honestly can't remember and therefore would like you to reply (as you know more about firearms than I do) before I can pass comment on what I think.
    BobQ wrote: »
    Interesting reply Private C, thank you.

I can see that there may be a case for retaining the UK law for internal use. I wonder how that would square the "open border" ideas for Ireland.

Possibly, depending on what Private C replies to our comments above :)
    💙💛 💔
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    More on the latest Z/Yen report on the world's strongest financial centres. London has moved further ahead of New York, with Brexit effects still to be felt. Meanwhile Frankfurt has risen quite rapidly up the table off the back of Brexit and is now ranked 11th. Dublin has also risen up the charts:

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-london-rating/london-stays-worlds-top-finance-centre-despite-brexit-idUSL8N1LP4GM
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • BobQ wrote: »
    I think Blair was silent because he realised that adding his voice would just have added to the Leave vote.

No party has had an immigration strategy for decades. Even now we do not have one. The fact is that our economy at present needs immigration for both skilled and unskilled work. The level of unemployment is low, so it follows we need to import people of working age. The indigenous workforce has a low birthrate meaning we need economic migration to fund pensions and services.

Of course if the electorate is to set the policy we must all accept unpicked fruit and vegetables, growing vacancies in hospitals, and other labour shortages. Obviously economic decline is an option and if that what people want so be it. Just because Blair says it does not make him wrong.

I like to think Blair was quiet because he knew he had already wrecked the country beyond recognition. Somehow I don't think he has such morals though.

The main aim of labour opening the immigration floodgates was to change the country, probably thought they would all vote labour too.

"The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and "rub the Right's nose in diversity", according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.
    He said Labour's relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to "open up the UK to mass migration" but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its "core working class vote".
    As a result, the public argument for immigration concentrated instead on the economic benefits and need for more migrants.
    Critics said the revelations showed a "conspiracy" within Government to impose mass immigration for "cynical" political reasons. "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport