IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones / Millennium claim form

Comments

• wi3347
    wi3347 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Where is Metropole Chambers? Is that where their offices are? The same guy who owns Millennium owns Fancy a Rum? and I think this might be the same area, and so you may find they ARE the landowner. It may be worth doing a Land Registry search, it only costs £3 for the title information (and another £3 if you want a plan). Phone Land Reg, they are very helpful and will talk you through how to apply.

Its a little side street next to the vue cinema in Swansea. Yes, It is where they have their offices! Im not sure if its the same guy that owns it. Fancy a rum is just around the corner from metropole Chambers. There are some other business listed on the sign next to the door so im not sure if millennium are the land owners. If they were the only business there maybe, but there is some kind of beauty salon type deal and something else as well in the same building as them.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Consensus here is throw the kitchen sink at them. It seems to work, but I am sure that a single point defence, if unassailable, would produce the same result.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • wi3347
    im trying to post a first attempt of my defence but it keeps saying "you must wait 30 seconds between posts" any advice?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    log out , log back in to get a new cookie
  • wi3347
    Ok, lets give this a go posting this today, im going to have to post it in 2 posts it seems because i cant do it in one. first attempt so anything that is wrong and needs changing, any suggestions of things to add / take away are all most welcome! I have researched it and looked at other treads on this forum plus advice from this thread so hopefully it should be in the ball park.

1. It is acknowledged that the defendant is the registered keeper of the vehicle. The defendant was not, however, the driver of the vehicle on the alleged contravention date.

2. It is denied that any "parking charges or indemnity costs" (whatever they might be) as stated on the Particulars of claim are owed and any debt is denied in its entirety.

3. The claim form itself is vague and lacks pertinent information as to the grounds for the claimant’s case. The particulars of claim fail to meet CPR16.4 and PD16 7.3-7.5 and merely provide a date and an "amount" consisting of a completely unsubstantiated and inflated three-figure sum, vaguely and incoherently adduced by the claimant's solicitors. The claim also states "parking charges and indemnity costs if applicable" which gives no indication of on what basis the claim is brought, for example whether this charge is founded upon an allegation of trespass or 'breach of contract' or contractual 'unpaid fees'. Because of this, I have had to cover all eventualities in defending such a 'cut & paste' claim which has caused significant distress and has denied me a fair chance to defend this claim in an informed way. Therefore, as an unrepresented litigant-in-person I respectfully ask that I be permitted to amend and or supplement this interim defence as may be required following a fuller disclosure of the Claimant's case.

a) It is unclear from the Particulars of claim if the claimant seeks to claim from the driver, or rely on the Protection of freedoms act 2012 (POFA 2012) to transfer liability to the keeper.
    b) If the claimant seeks to claim from the driver, the defendant puts them to strict proof of who was driving as the defendant denies being the driver and will provide further clarification into this, including the defendant’s whereabouts on the date of the alleged contravention. PATAS and POPLA Lead Adjudicator and barrister, Henry Michael Greenslade, clarified that with regards to keeper liability, "There is no ‘reasonable presumption’ in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver and operators should never suggest anything of the sort" (POPLA report 2015).
    c) If the claimant seeks to rely on the POFA 2012, it states within the act that the claimants cannot claim for more than is stated in the original notice to keeper, in this case £100. Both the claimant and their solicitors blatantly know this as this is there field of expertise. The fact they are trying to claim for monies they know they are not legally entitled to claim puts them out of compliance with the act as it clearly states they may only claim £100 in this case. The claimant is required under schedule 4 of the POFA 2012, to adhere strictly to the requirements set out within that act in order to transfer liability to the registered keeper and has failed to do so as outlined above. Therefore the defendant is not liable in this matter either way, as he was not the driver and POFA 2012 has not been complied with. This is also an attempt to further abuse the small claims process.

5. The Claimant’s solicitors are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one, with no due diligence, no scrutiny of details nor even checking for a true cause of action. HMCTS have identified over 1000 similar poorly produced claims. I believe the term for such conduct is ‘robo-claims’ which is against the public interest, demonstrates a disregard for the dignity of the court and is unfair on unrepresented consumers. Practice Direction 3A which references Civil Procedure Rule 3.4 illustrates this point:

1.4 The following are examples of cases where the court may conclude that particulars of claim (whether contained in a claim form or filed separately) fall within rule 3.4(2)(a):
    1. those which set out no facts indicating what the claim is about, for example ‘Money owed £5000’,
    2. those which are incoherent and make no sense,
    3. those which contain a coherent set of facts but those facts, even if true, do not
    disclose any legally recognisable claim against the defendant.
    I have reason to believe that this is a claim that will proceed without any facts or evidence supplied until the last possible minute, to my significant detriment as an unrepresented Defendant. I suggest that parking companies using the small claims track as a form of aggressive, automated debt collection is not something the courts should be seen to support.

6. I am yet to have knowledge of any documents provided to the court in support of the application, accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. The proper Claimant (if any debt exists, which is denied) would be the landowner. Strict proof is required that there is a chain of contracts leading from the landowner to Millennium Door and Event Security, and no proof has been provided.

7. In the pre court stage the Claimant’s solicitor did not provide me with the necessary information to defend myself against the alleged debt. They did not send me a Letter before Action that complied with the Practice direction on pre-action conduct. The Letter before Action can be seen to miss the following information
    a) A clear summary of facts on which the claim is based.
    b) A list of the relevant documents on which your client intends to rely.
    c) How the “charge amount” of £243.35 has been calculated and justified.
    d) Any form of possible negotiation or ADR offered.
  • wi3347
    8. The alleged debt as described in the claim are unenforceable penalties, being just the sort of unconscionable charges exposed as offending against the penalty rule, in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis.

9. This case can be easily distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis which the Judges held was 'entirely different' from most ordinary economic contract disputes. Charges cannot exist merely to punish drivers. This claimant has failed to show any comparable 'legitimate interest' to save their charge from Lord Dunedin's four tests for a penalty, which the Supreme Court Judges found was still adequate in less complex cases, such as this allegation.

10. It is submitted that (apart from properly incurred court fees) any added legal fees/costs are simply numbers made up out of thin air, and are an attempt at double recovery by the Claimant, which would not be recoverable in the small claims court.

11. It is denied that the signs used by this claimant can have created a fair or transparent contract with a driver in any event. There are no entrance barriers or any kind or parking signs at the entrance to the location. It is still unclear to the defendant after visiting the site, what area is covered by Millennium door and event security LTD and what it not. There are only 2 small signs at the location, the font of which is impossible to read from even a few feet away. The original notice to driver was issued during hours of darkness and there is virtually no street lighting at the location. So much so that the enforcement officer issuing the ticket had to use the flash facility to even see the vehicle.
    The signs were insufficient in terms of their distribution, wording and lighting hence incapable of binding the driver, which distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    a) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) site/entrance signage - breach of the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.
    c) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    d) Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no breach of contract.

12. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons. It is submitted that the conduct of the Claimant is wholly unreasonable and vexatious.

13. The Defendant has little understanding of the Claim he must meet, given the Claimant's failure to comply with paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c) of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct and its failure to file sufficiently detailed Particulars of Claim pursuant to CPR Rule 16.4. The Defendant has tried his best in this Defence to defend the claim as he understands it, but must in the circumstances reserve his right to add to or amend it should the Claimant later particularise it in more appropriate detail.

14. I request the court strike out this claim for the reasons stated above, and for similar reasons cited by District Judge Cross of St Albans County Court on 20/09/16 where a similar claim was struck out without a hearing, due to Gladstones' template particulars for a private parking firm being 'incoherent', failing to comply with CPR16.4, and ''providing no facts that could give rise to any apparent claim in law''.

Statement of Truth: I confirm that the contents of this statement are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, that was me. Following advice I got from CAG i went to court and got an absolute hammering
    OP - you were asked a number of times which case your other case was heard at? I've even PM'd you... Is there any reason you won't share this information with us?

So we can give the best advice to others, it's important we have an idea which courts might be best avoided.
  • wi3347
    Lamilad wrote: »
    OP - you were asked a number of times which case your other case was heard at? I've even PM'd you... Is there any reason you won't share this information with us?

So we can give the best advice to others, it's important we have an idea which courts might be best avoided.

Sorry, ive replied on the other thread now, didnt have any email notifications from it so didnt know anyone was asking those questions. Info happily shared on the other thread.
  • wi3347
    Unless there is some advice to the contrary by the end of the day I will be using the above as my defence. The time deadline is drawing ever closer and I have work over the next week days and then im off abroad for a long weekend so I dont want to leave it till the last minute!

I will print, sign and scan it. Im assuming i then email it to the county court at Northampton?
  • wi3347
    defence scanned and sent. Will update when i receive a response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure