Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 23rd Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,908Posts
    • 2,416Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Replace Microsoft Money?
    • 23rd Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    Replace Microsoft Money? 23rd Aug 17 at 2:39 PM
    My laptop switched itself off this morning possibly terminally. I've used Microsoft Money for about 20 years, but without a laptop it's gone - what's best?

Personal finance, multiple current, saving and credit card accounts, numerous direct debits and standing orders, utility accounts, mortgage and possibly some other stuff - pretty standard, I think!

So what's fab out there at the moment? Any apps good enough and don't break the bank?

Thank you!
    Mortgage Free in Three T4; target to clear (or offset) mortgage by 25 Jan 19
    £17,800 for a target Mortgage balance of £NOTHING
    £61,000 of a £20,000 target Cash ISAs
    £2,000 of a £6,000 target Savings
Page 2
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 24th Aug 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    The biggest problem in switching away from MS Money for me is that there doesn't seem to be a way to extract the decades of data to use in something else.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot
    That's not true, 5 years ago I switched to MacBook and so needed to find an alternative to MS Money. I plumped for iBank (now Banktivity) and had no problems exporting the 10+ years of data from MS Money and importing it into the new app.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 24th Aug 17, 1:46 PM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The main reason MSmoney was dropped it had every feature you needed for personal finance so people were not upgrading.

Nothing comes close.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 25th Aug 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    That's not true, 5 years ago I switched to MacBook and so needed to find an alternative to MS Money. I plumped for iBank (now Banktivity) and had no problems exporting the 10+ years of data from MS Money and importing it into the new app.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    You're absolutely correct. I can't think how I never noticed the "Export" menu option before. Thanks.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 25th Aug 17, 1:09 PM
    • 9,381 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    Linton
    The biggest problem in switching away from MS Money for me is that there doesn't seem to be a way to extract the decades of data to use in something else.

Generate a report and export to Excel? I use that to analyse investment data in more complex ways than Money provides.

Or you can export as a QIF file if your target application understands QIF. From memory I tried that some time ago and it more or less worked.
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 25th Aug 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    The good news is the new, genuine, £16.99 charger from ebay has enabled my laptop to be happy again :-)

I still think I need to future proof from MM, though, so will take a look (and keep a very up-to-date back-up)!
    Mortgage Free in Three T4; target to clear (or offset) mortgage by 25 Jan 19
    £17,800 for a target Mortgage balance of £NOTHING
    £61,000 of a £20,000 target Cash ISAs
    £2,000 of a £6,000 target Savings
    • mike6265
    • By mike6265 28th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mike6265
    Banktivity
    Hi,
    So can you just export from MS Money to the Banktivity all bank accounts, stocks and shares etc?
    Does it then have the ability to update share prices?

Mike
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 13th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    money manager ex -
    Free, can handle multiple accounts, can sync acroos multiple devices ( i use android and Windows 10)

http://www.moneymanagerex.org/
    Originally posted by Syman
    Hi. It is probably me! I have used M'soft Money for years but have now got a new (to me!) PC. I have installed this program on to it, and created a new database called 'money' (!) and got as far as trying to insert the Base Currency Selection (£) etc., and fill in the appropriate fields. Everytime it comes up with a message 'Money Management Software has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'.

Okay, what am I doing wrong? All I want is a simple database of my accounts, showing income and payments, regular standing orders / direct debits.

I see some sites are offering links to the old M'soft Money 2005. a) are they safe, b) do they work? If the answers are 'yes' then I would rather go for that as something I know.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by I-LOV-MONEY; 13-01-2018 at 4:27 PM. Reason: update
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 14th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Thanks, reply via iPad Pro
    Iíll download ms money via Asus atom laptop today!
    Very helpful though Iím currently re trying YNAB for home finances.
    I shall re try MS Money as itís been quite some time.
    sc dmp 2012 13k
    Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 6,144 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    Farway
    I see some sites are offering links to the old M'soft Money 2005. a) are they safe, b) do they work? If the answers are 'yes' then I would rather go for that as something I know.
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    Not sure about the 2005 sites, but I'm still using 2004, with Windows 7, no problems
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 21st May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 19,536 Thanks
    Doc N
    Another scare after the recent major Windows 10 upgrade (Version 1803) - Microsoft Money refused to load.

Restarting the PC resolved that (huge sigh of relief) but at some point the end of the line's going to be reached and MM's going to finally die. I dread that day because I've got 20+ years of invaluable data and it's still an incredibly simple and effective program to use.

I suppose one option is to buy a cheap laptop and keep it just for MM - making sure it's kept offline and away from updates.

Any other ideas, though, that people have come up with?
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 22nd May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Run a copy of Windows XP inside a virtual machine?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 19,536 Thanks
    Doc N
    Run a copy of Windows XP inside a virtual machine?
    That sounds like a good idea - I'll have a dig round to see if it's feasible.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 22nd May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    giraffe69
    There is no need for virtual machines etc using XP or anything else. Microsoft Money will work with Windows 10.

Try this page https://techjourney.net/microsoft-money-requires-internet-explorer-6-to-function-properly-error-in-Windows-10 for explanation.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd May 18, 12:49 PM
    • 5,036 Posts
    • 30,325 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    No need runs perfect in Windows 10
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd May 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 19,536 Thanks
    Doc N
    No need runs perfect in Windows 10
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    There is no need for virtual machines etc using XP or anything else. Microsoft Money will work with Windows 10.

Try this page https://techjourney.net/microsoft-money-requires-internet-explorer-6-to-function-properly-error-in-Windows-10 for explanation.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    No problems after the recent major Windows 10 features update (Version 1803) either?

Mine refused to load initially and I still have a sneaking suspicion it's going to do the same thing again. I also have two more PCs running Win10 on which MM steadfastly refuses to load, no matter what tweaks I try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin