Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moto007
    • By moto007 23rd Aug 17, 4:16 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    moto007
    ESA Travel Abroad(holiday)
    • 23rd Aug 17, 4:16 AM
    ESA Travel Abroad(holiday) 23rd Aug 17 at 4:16 AM
    Hello All,
    I checked at ESA website it is mentioned, if you are in ESA you can travel outside UK for more than 4 weeks. I am confuse, does it means in a year I can only travel(holiday) out side UK for 4 weeks ? or Does it means one trip outside UK cannot be more than 4 weeks ? Any input is highly appreciated.
Page 2
    • neontetra
    • By neontetra 1st Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    neontetra
    I am so glad that people who need esa can afford holidays, i work 12 hour shifts and can't afford a holiday.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 1st Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    bspm1
    I am so glad that people who need esa can afford holidays, i work 12 hour shifts and can't afford a holiday.
    Originally posted by neontetra
    Hello new user by the way, did you make a new name to post on here?

Anyway, it isn't what you got coming in matey, it's how you spend it.

• TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 1st Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    In defence of the poor sods in the contact centres they do not have the training to answer the questions they are now expected to answer. When I started on ESA we had 6 or 7 weeks training and then sat in groups with mentors until we had successfully processed a defined number of claims correctly. Only then were we let loose on our own. I believe Contact Centre staff are now expected to answer over 70% of questions at first contact, not pass them on the processing staff who should have a more in depth understanding. The result is the sort of chaos described in this thread.
    • Momosalim
    • By Momosalim 9th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momosalim
    You do not have to inform that you are going out of the Uk
    you said '' You do not have to inform that you are going out of the UK, if it is your intention to return to UK within 28 days.''

according to .GOV.UK
    Benefit fraud
    ''Youíre committing benefit fraud if you:
    do not tell the office that pays your benefit youíre going abroad, even if itís just for a visit''

IF what you say is not correct, could implicate hundres if not thousands of innocent ESA claimant having there benefit stopped?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    you said '' You do not have to inform that you are going out of the UK, if it is your intention to return to UK within 28 days.''

according to .GOV.UK
    Benefit fraud
    ''Youíre committing benefit fraud if you:
    do not tell the office that pays your benefit youíre going abroad, even if itís just for a visit''

IF what you say is not correct, could implicate hundres if not thousands of innocent ESA claimant having there benefit stopped?
    Originally posted by Momosalim

What you have found is sadly typical of examples of conflicting information on different areas of government websites. To avoid accusations of benefit fraud it's best to inform them of any period abroad. The downside is that there is a very real chance that the person you deal with won't know the rules properly and take the wrong action.
    • Momosalim
    • By Momosalim 9th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momosalim
    YES, I agree with that many of government website are ambiguous, in fact it does not state that it is ' mandatory' to inform the job centre.

it would seem odd, in a democratic country like ours, UK, that even a PIP with ESA claims will have to tell mumy and daddy(jobcentre) , would that be ok if I go for a 2 weeks holiday because you are paying me my disability and ESA. these rules if they do officially exist, have not even been applied in colonised countries. and Britain is already on the watch for these infringement of human rights in Europe, which is really bad for a country as civilised as Britain to be possibly influenced by US laws.
    • Wilhelmina Kondom
    • By Wilhelmina Kondom 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Wilhelmina Kondom
    i have a fluctuating mental health condition called borderline perosnaily disorder which is very serious. I am on anysychotics to manage my moods which are very unpredictable and my 3rd husband left me recently to be with my support worker, she resigned her job, went with my husband and joined a new care company and my care manager company don't care because she says its not a conflict of intrest even though my support worker was sleeping with my husband in our martictul bed while i was attend the day centre.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Aug 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    venison
    The rule is that you can go abroad for upto 28 days and therefore permission imho is not needed, as you are complying with the law by limiting your trip to less than 28 days.
    The first time I informed the JCP that I was going abroad they sent me forms and suspended my payment BEFORE I went, I spoke there and then to a DM who re-enstated the payment that day and told me in no uncertain terms that for a 7 day holiday in europe I didn't need to tell anyone.
    Former Board Guide
    • Momosalim
    • By Momosalim 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momosalim
    7 day holiday in europe I didn't need to tell anyone
    The rule is that you can go abroad for upto 28 days and therefore permission imho is not needed, as you are complying with the law by limiting your trip to less than 28 days.
    The first time I informed the JCP that I was going abroad they sent me forms and suspended my payment BEFORE I went, I spoke there and then to a DM who re-enstated the payment that day and told me in no uncertain terms that for a 7 day holiday in europe I didn't need to tell anyone.
    Originally posted by venison
    It makes moral sense that one is not obliged to tell JCP about one's brief holiday trip. The JCP training including what it says on Gov website need to be constant and consistent with Parliamentary legislation. the average person now does his and her research online and JCP sometimes get intimidated when a claimant asks for a reference ACT xyz, and more than often, they don't know, they work on assumptions because half of the claimant population either they are uneducated about current legislation and or are too frail to challenge it. we see vast numbers of vulnerable claimants, lonely, have nobody to support their claim, and don't have the energy to provide evidence that are not yet fit for work, are dragged into the JCP to start job search.... I saw many claimants crying, breaking down hopelessly at the job centre because they were told after the Incapacity for work assessment they can do some work.. even at the age of 57 to 60 years olds, !! democracy .. this is not the fault of parliaments legislators, the problems caused to these vulnerable claimants by the untrained JCP team who quite often, upon observation, they carry a hidden agendas and or hungry for power and destruction of human rights/ABUSE..
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 9th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    bspm1
    i have a fluctuating mental health condition called borderline perosnaily disorder which is very serious. I am on anysychotics to manage my moods which are very unpredictable and my 3rd husband left me recently to be with my support worker, she resigned her job, went with my husband and joined a new care company and my care manager company don't care because she says its not a conflict of intrest even though my support worker was sleeping with my husband in our martictul bed while i was attend the day centre.
    Originally posted by Wilhelmina Kondom
    Im sorry, did you have a question?
    Marriage Guidance thread maybe.
    You couldn't make it up, or maybe you could.
    Last edited by bspm1; 09-08-2018 at 9:34 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Aug 18, 10:16 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Originally posted by venison

The rule is either that you can go abroad for less than 28 days and don't have to inform anybody OR the rule is that going abroad without informing the relevant body may be treated as benefit fraud. They are both stated in different areas of government websites and they can't both be correct.

I can believe that payment was suspended when it shouldn't have been because the same thing happened to a friend of mine who called enquiring about Permitted Work. He didn't have anything lined up and certainly hadn't started work but that didn't prevent his claim being suspended.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 9th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    calcotti
    I can!!!8217;t see anything in the Regulations themselves that requires a claimant to report an absence in advance. It therefore follows that if you intend to be absent for less than 28 days, which is within the rules, not telling the DWP in advance cannot be an attempt to commit fraud.

Of course if the absence gets extended beyond 28 days, for whatever reason, a failure to report that to the DWP could be treated as fraud.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Aug 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    venison
    I suppose the big question must be if you are on benefits and you go abroad (europe as an example) who would know anyway? I'm pretty certain that the border authorities don't have time to tell anyone, and they don't stamp your passport nowadays.
    Former Board Guide
    • Momosalim
    • By Momosalim 9th Aug 18, 11:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momosalim
    dont inform JCP
    thanks for your comment, the issue is not so much about how to get away without the knowledge of JCP. it is about

1) to aleviate the anxieties of the many innocent and vulnerable claimants who has never been abroad, and deserve a little get away from it all without the worry of having their benefits suspended wrongly as it happens all the time

2) to exercise one's human rights, and do what is ' officially ' and ' mandatory ' that can be assessed as ' justifiable' to feel that you are in a free country, not a colonial or dictatorship system.

note: even in those dictatorship countries, many of them, if they do claim benefits, being abroad doesn't bother the government at all since if they go abroad for a year, their country of origin don't have to spent any extra money on NHS, Optician, Dentist, vouchers, freedom pass, bleud badges, carers, medical team etc.. all of which cost money to the government if they threaten claimants to suspend their benefits, claimants decide not to go abroad for life, and this in itself costly to the government. is it not?
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 10th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    benidorm59
    If you have gone out of UK for less than 28 days and it changes to be longer than 28 days, you must make efforts to tell DWP that you will be outside more than 28 days. by asking someone in UK to phone the ESA, or send them a letter, or worse case scenario, tell them on your return you were out for more than 28 days... in which case, you will have to pay back all the ESA over the 28 days that you were paid. Or even worse case scenario, don't tell them you were over 28 days, hope that they don't notice, and get charged with benefit fraud

My friend travelled abroad stayed five weeks, ESA IR had an overpayment from the day of travel, she asked for a Review, not changed this was appealed the decision the overpayment is from the date she left the UK. It was recoverable and a civil penalty was applied
    • Momosalim
    • By Momosalim 11th Aug 18, 3:26 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momosalim
    incapacity assessment anxieties and distress
    Dear Sir / Madam

I write this on behalf of a lonely vulnerable adult with the help of his support worker.

I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder back in 2005

I relapsed back in 2015, I claimed ESA in 2015 and was fine until I applied for PIP in October 2017 I received ESA50 form and after completing it and sent off, I was sent a letter from Health Assessment Advisory Services Team asking to attend assessment for work capacity.

My support worker did all the work on my behalf as I struggle on day to day living getting basic things done.

sorry, not making myself clear. I wanted them to visit me, since I can't leave home, have developed fear of going outside and my limited mobility.. the health advisory services team declined my first request for home visit, wanting more medical letters

I recently, yesterday, sent,
    osteopath letter saying patient has limited mobitity and the fact I visit him home and has a carer means he can't come to face to face.

letter from psychologist was sent too explaining my difficulties and that can't leave home for xyz

form that optician gave me saying ' I visited the patient in his own home because he has fear of going outside and limited mobility

3 pages letter from my own community helper care coordinator

letter from my barber saying he visits me home

could the HAAS still decline my request for home visit ? is there a lawyer here, trainee solicitor who can advise... please people, help me
    He rung the HAAS in Woodgreen, London N22 to inform them that I need domiciliary medical assessment. They have told my care coordinator that I must ask my Doctor to send them a letter explaining why I canít attend a 1 to 1 assessment.

My care coordinator/ support worker, told them that must be present and that he has a holiday, so not available for face to face assessment on 16 August 2018, so they immediately after couple of days, sent another letter for 1 to 1 assessment for the 14th August 2018

My support worker contacted my private Doctor, and Osteopath to fax a letter to HAAS.

Letters done and faxed and posted registered on Friday 3rd August.

We are still awaiting to hear from HAAS.

To say how this has affected my health is an understatement, however, I need your support to continue to justify my incapacity for work. I have blurred vision, and had many glasses done through NHS but I still struggle with reading normal prints, gets blurry, and painful, disorienting.

I don't go out much since 2015
    my care coordinator does everthing for me and has assigned a carer to cut my hair monthly, and help me undress /dress the lower body pants and socks

my question is as follow

the Doctor letter and osteopath letter and care coordinator letter are enough to offer me home visit or could they even better decide that home visit is unecessary since all three medical professional describe my daily struggles to get hings done ?

I am just so anxious and worried that could be wrongly assessed and have to go through revision, complaints and its hard time.. as well as I am worried, can't sleep at night fearing I lose my forthnightly ESA payment and sink into poverty again leading to decline in my health, and increse of possible further damage.
    Last edited by Momosalim; 05-09-2018 at 1:29 AM. Reason: unclear
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    _shel
    Dear Sir / Madam

I write this on behalf of a lonely vulnerable adult with the help of his support worker.

I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder back in 2005

I relapsed back in 2015, I claimed ESA in 2015 and was fine until I applied for PIP in October 2017 I received ESA50 form and after completing it and sent off, I was sent a letter from Health Assessment Advisory Services Team asking to attend assessment for work capacity.

My support worker did all the work on my behalf as I struggle on day to day living getting basic things done.

He rung the HAAS in Woodgreen, London N22 to inform them that I need domiciliary medical assessment. They have told my care coordinator that I must ask my Doctor to send them a letter explaining why I canít attend a 1 to 1 assessment.

My care coordinator/ support worker, told them that must be present and that he has a holiday, so not available for face to face assessment on 16 August 2018, so they immediately after couple of days, sent another letter for 1 to 1 assessment for the 14th August 2018

My support worker contacted my private Doctor, and Osteopath to fax a letter to HAAS.

Letters done and faxed and posted registered on Friday 3rd August.

We are still awaiting to hear from HAAS.

To say how this has affected my health is an understatement, however, I need your support to continue to justify my incapacity for work. I have blurred vision, and had many glasses done through NHS but I still struggle with reading normal prints, gets blurry, and painful, disorienting.

I don't go out much since 2015
    my care coordinator does everthing for me and has assigned a carer to cut my hair monthly, and help me undress /dress the lower body pants and socks

my question is as follow

the Doctor letter and osteopath letter and care coordinator letter are enough to offer me home visit or could they even better decide that home visit is unecessary since all three medical professional describe my daily struggles to get hings done ?

I am just so anxious and worried that could be wrongly assessed and have to go through revision, complaints and its hard time.. as well as I am worried, can't sleep at night fearing I lose my forthnightly ESA payment and sink into poverty again leading to decline in my health, and increse of possible further damage.
    Originally posted by Momosalim
    Not a clue what you are asking here or what it has to do with this thread!
    • baza52
    • By baza52 5th Sep 18, 12:54 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    baza52
    Originally posted by neontetra
    yet your second post says you have broken your back paying for one....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,800Posts Today

8,087Users online

Martin's Twitter