Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 22nd Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    • 366Posts
    • 1,271Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility
    • 22nd Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility 22nd Aug 17 at 4:30 PM
    Hi everyone!

DFW newbie here! Been a lurker for a while but have been so inspired by reading others' DFW diaries - it's literally all I've done this weekend! - that I decided to take the plunge and join in the fun. Now's the time. Had my LBM a few weeks ago and can't wait to get started

So, a little about me before I state my financial situation and my goals:
    - a happy, healthy and engaged homeowner
    - settled in my career with a fairly well paid job & annual increment
    - looking at starting a family soon as time is ticking!
    - enjoys sports and the outdoors and a healthy approach to life
    - has just started using YNAB
    - has a 'secret' unsecured debt of just over £10k (2 x cc's)

About DF
    DF is debt free but doesn't actively save. He seems to spend what he earns which isn't great since we have a tiny mortgage and lowish bills. He had family money passed on to him a few years ago on the advice of his mother's accountants - she would NEVER give it away otherwise. This dosh acts as a financial cushion for him .....and, admittedly, me gosh, it really has meant I've been a wee bit lacking in the old saving malarkey Time to banish this false sense of security!

About DF and I's financials
    DF and I don't have a joint account. All bills / mortgage come out of his current account except car insurance and broadband/phone which I'm responsible for paying. I give him £465 every month towards bills (includes a deduction for car insurance) and he gives me half of whatever the broadband phone bill is. This arrangement is, on reflection, part of my problem as I have too much 'distance' from the reality of bill payments and direct debits etc etc etc I'm sure you all know the score....

DF knows I have some debts but isn't really aware of the current status of my 'net worth' He's one of life's worriers so I am taking this DFW journey alone for now. I'm completely settled and happy with this idea and I have been managing it all on my own thus far, so no need to change. I got myself into this situation so I'll be getting myself out of it.

Why the DFW diary?
    Well, we're thinking of moving home since we could take a few leaps up the ladder. Its time for our dream home. This has caused my LBM. I want my dream home and the only thing stopping me is my poor money management skills! Its also time to move. We've been here a while and have never fully settled.

My interim goal?
    To clear £4K of debt by January so when we put the house on the market, my debt levels are lower. I obviously also want to make sure we can maximise our borrowing, so I want to demonstrate good money management skills and a good pattern of spending and saving.

My overall aim
    But, more than this interim goal, I just want to be in control of my money and no longer feel guilty for spending it. I want to save up for things and have that lovely 'I deserve this because I saved for it' feeling when I buy something. I want to be responsible. And, I am here to become accountable.

My plan of action!
    So....this diary is my way of sharing my story, being accountable for my actions, taking responsibility and doing all this whilst my other half is oblivious!

I hope you join me on my journey and I look forward to joining you on yours.

My current financials
    I'll post my current financial situation later today - got some work things to get done before close of play. Its been one of those 'working at home' days which have largely comprised of obsessing over YNAB and lurking on DFW diaries, oh deary me A hint of my procrastinating / self sabotaging ways......

DSL
    Last edited by DrSpendLittle; 30-09-2017 at 9:20 AM. Reason: I'm a formatting perfectionist :)
Page 14
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 4th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    The 180 Day Countdown Begins
    There are 180 days to go until my planned debt free date of 30th September.

And £7,225.80 to clear.

That's roughly £40:14 per day.

Or £1,204.30 per month.

And I have £13,828.14 of salary payments (6 x net £2,304.69) to use.

Can it be done..? You bet!!

It will be tight in September, but I will have my Emergency Fund to cover any unforeseen expenses and will have just come back from a 3 week holiday so hopefully I will be refreshed and driven for Scorched Earth September.

In other news, today has been a WFH day and we've had homemade soup for lunch. Going to cook from the cupboards and fridge with things we already have, which in think will result in a chicken curry. DF not feeling well so going to have a cosy night in watching some Sherlock with homemade popcorn.

Tomorrow is a WFH day again with more soup for lunch! I'm WFH all this week and most of next week, so it's good to be saving on fuel and parking costs. I need to buy a book of parking scratch cards at some point, which is £40. I've assigned some money in this month's budget to cover it, but I do have enough scratch cards left until May. Gives me some flexibility to cover a possible groceries overspend as £219 normally isn't enough for my contribution (yes, we spend Quite A Bit on food as its our 'thing' )
    Since 1st September 2017
    CC1: £paid off/£1,253.73 | CC2: £4,274.16/£9,124.15 | CC3: £paid off/£312.34 | Car Finance: £paid off/£1,894.92| Total Debt Repayments: £7,735.15/£12,585.14 (61.46%) | Outstanding Debt: £4,849.99 | House Move Fund: £0 / £4,000
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 4th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    I've just remembered that I get paid a £500 fee at the end of September for work I do for another organisation in my sector. That will act as a nice financial cushion should my EF get used up in July or August.

I've also got about £180 in outstanding expenses due to be credited to my account over the next couple of months, which aren't in my budget, so that will be put into my 'household miscellaneous' pot cover Things I Always Forget, like the window cleaner. It will most likely be used for new brakes for the car, which I have forgotten about but must be coming up at some point in the next 6 months.

Fingers crossed I can stick to this!!
    Since 1st September 2017
    CC1: £paid off/£1,253.73 | CC2: £4,274.16/£9,124.15 | CC3: £paid off/£312.34 | Car Finance: £paid off/£1,894.92| Total Debt Repayments: £7,735.15/£12,585.14 (61.46%) | Outstanding Debt: £4,849.99 | House Move Fund: £0 / £4,000
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 5th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    179 Days to Go
    Today is a working from home day which basically entails sitting at a computer, reading and writing. I've a few deadlines coming up towards the middle and end of the month that I need to meet.

I need to head into the local town at some point to collect my parcel from Boots that contains my mascara and serum. It's been sat there for a week! I also need to return a t-shirt I picked up in the sale that doesn't fit properly. It was a bit of an impulse purchase anyway. So, £7 back in my bank and I'll park and walk rather than pay for the closer car park.

On clothing, I've decided to hold off any further clothing purchases (where possible, I may need a couple of new summer dresses for my holiday) until my debt free date and then start purchasing a smaller amount of better quality pieces that will stand the test of time. I think I remember Redo mentioning that she does this. The price per wear will be much better over the long term. If I think back over the past 5-10 years, buying poorer quality stuff from cheaper end high street retailers has turned out to be false economy. Most of those cheaper products, in my experience, have just ended up bobbling or losing shape after 1-2 washes or looking tatty at the end of the season. I recently saw a documentary on Fast Fashion where it was revealed that Zara clothes are designed to be washed only 6 times! I don't normally shop there anyway, but I did pick up a couple of things in their January sales (to see me though to my debt free date) and I have been really disappointed by the quality. And I wasn't expecting much in the first place! It's been the same with the 'outlet' versions of most high street stores - that same documentary revealed that these clothes are lower quality products that are made specifically for outlet and would never be sold in the main stores. It's a complete scam the way they imply items are heavily discounted end of line items sold previously in their high street stores!

Anyway, back to today! DF has an early evening appointment and then we plan to go out for dinner (he likes to call it date night ) but we're keeping it frugal, so one main course and 1 glass of wine each. Will cost about £15 each and my half will come from my Fun Fund. That should be the only spend today.
    Last edited by DrSpendLittle; 05-04-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 5th Apr 18, 4:47 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Successful trip into town to collect my parcel. DF asked me to get some medicine for him and some bacon / bread from Waitr0se for his lunch. Also picked up some flowers for brightening up the place over the weekend for my family visitors. Total spends £17.62 of which DF owes me £5, so not too bad. Will come out of groceries budget.

Have £5 in my purse so will withdraw £10 and that will cover my dinner tonight.

Have about £13 sitting in PA but will keep it there and wait for £20 to cash out towards the end of the month.

OnePoll sitting at £15.50 so over the 50% mark for cashing out at £30. Will take time as OnePoll is fairly slow but I like to see the ££s mounting up.

Stil have £73 pending in TCB. I don't think it'll clear for another 3 months so that will be a nice windfall when it finally arrives.
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 6th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    178 Days and Counting
    Another WFH day today with a similar level of computer screen, reading and writing to do. I need to get back into sport to stop the sedentary lifestyle I seem to have adopted these past few months.

About to head into town to pick up some groceries and a new mop from Arg0s for the weekend. I'm armed with a list and will be visiting Al8i for basics and Waitr0se for some nicer bits and bobs as usual.

PA is now up to £15.62. Will wait for £20 to cash out.

Meal out last night was nice but I spent a little more than planned. However, all within the 'big' budget so no significant financial hardships expected this month as a result
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 9th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    175 Days to Go
    Morning Peeps!

Well, a busy weekend all around. Had family to say and we all had a lovely time. Kept all spends to plan, with a few small household and holiday purchases made on a visit to a local town. Budget looking healthy. Had a NSD yesterday.

This week is mainly WFH but I do have a couple of meetings in town later in the week that I need to drive to. No work expenses needed for that though as it'll be a normal working day.

Need to do some meal planning and an Oc4do order. We've some meat in the freezer that will do for a couple of meals but we're back into our old habits of reactive dinners rather than being proactive with meal plans and shopping.

Can't see the need for any significant spends this week. Hopefully a quiet one working at home and keeping spends to a minimum.

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 10th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    174 dtg
    A successful NSD yesterday. I also managed a few short studies on PA so my balance is around £16. Going to cash out at the end month so hopefully I'll be over £20 by then.

Today is also hopefully going to be a NSD. I'm working from home again and have a couple of telephone meetings so it should be fairly quiet. I've no other plans. I may do some sport tonight, but still undecided. It would be free either way.

DF keeps talking about getting a new kitchen knife as the one we have and use the most is over 14 years old (I guess that's not too old in 'good knife' lives is it...?) and it's been sharpened so much (DF is a habitual sharpener ) that he says it's beginning to shatter. I personally think he is just over sharpening it, but it is looking quite 'narrow' shall we say! I reckon we can hold out until October when I'm debt free but I have a sneaky suspicion that DF may just go ahead and buy one himself sooner. He often gets things in his head and can't settle until the problem is 'fixed'. He's very much a completist and a bit of a perfectionist. But, he's also reasonably good with money and is a natural 'saver'. I'm the natural spender in our relationship!

Weather is fairly miserable today but it doesn't bother me. I quite like the seasons and before we know it, we'll be moaning about the heat!

Last night I watched some episodes of a bankruptcy tv series on nexflix, can't remember the name of it, and it's made me even more determined to 'own' my possessions and provide myself with a comfortable and secure future. I'm even tempted to pay off my car loan earlier than August. The balance on May 4th will be £431, so I could pay it off in full on 30th May, which would be 2 months earlier than planned. I'm not sure just yet. Maybe I'm just getting angsty!!

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 10th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Day 174 was a NSD. I wonder if I can achieve one tomorrow as well! I'm not so sure it will be possible as I think we'll need some stuff for dinner but lets see! DF cooking some sort of Swedish concoction for dinner which will be late as he was out for the afternoon, late back and the had to nip out again for forgot ingredients. Doh.
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 11th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    173 Days to Go
    Today is pretty much a carbon copy of yesterday! I'm working from home, we have dinner out of the freezer defrosting. DF has nipped out as he is off work this week and will likely pick up some bits and bobs he thinks are necessary additions to dinner. I'm sat in my home study working away at a task with a deadline for tomorrow. I've also done my work to do list for this month and it's got a few big deadlines on it so I need to be on my A game for the remainder of the month...

... Job rant ... I like some parts of my job but there are other parts that I'm struggling with motivation for. Without wanting to divulge too much about my life, my job / career is largely entrepreneurial, which gives me great discretion for how I plan and manage my time and what I choose to work on. That would normally be a good thing for most, but my problem is that I'm completely lacking in motivation at the moment, which makes entrepreneurial tasks much more difficult. I'm not sure why I'm struggling, as things are going reasonably well for me, but this lack of motivation has compounded over the past few years and I'm now in a situation where I have lost the knack of self-discipline. My spark and motivation to succeed are really poor right now. My career spark plugs are damp!! I used to be so conscientious as a child and young adult but lately, I seem to have lost that desire to achieve. The particular tasks at work that I'm 'drifting' on are, surprise surprise, the most challenging part of the role. I think I'm just self-sabotaging and avoiding them. I wonder if my new found motivation for financial peace is contributing to this? Whenever I consider a career change, I arrive back at the same conclusion - I'm in a fairly well paid and flexible job that has scope for career progression (it's there if I want it) and these positives more than make up for some of the deficiencies that I feel about the particular aspects of the role that are frustrating me. However, I'm in a bit of a pickle because my work time is discretionary and I don't have a line manager breathing down my neck - it allows me to procrastinate to my hearts content and this is bad bad bad for someone prone to self-sabotage. Ugh. I feel stuck in a rut and I need a good dose of reality and accountability to get me back on my A game. I know if I continue as I do, the reality of this compounding self sabotage will eventually catch up with me and affect my career progression so I need to get a grip on it sooner rather than later and figure out precisely what is driving my self-sabotage and avoidance. Maybe I need a life routine and a clearer work routine? Hmm, one to ponder over the coming months. Thinking out loud, I feel I've become really lazy in other parts of my life as well and I seem to be wasting an inordinate amount of time surfing the web. I'm not at all depressed or addicted to the internet (!!!!). I love life and feel very grateful and privileged to have what I have. But, I guess I am avoiding something. I need to figure out what that is!!

Bit deep and meaningful!

Right, back to MSE stuff I'm on track with my YNAB categories. This month I've been cheeky and put a few extra pennies in each category so that they are still green after I've spent up I thought it would be a good psychological boost. By this time in the month, most of my immediate obligations and bills have been paid and my YNAB is a sea of 0's and grey. It's actually very nice to see every category still green, even if there are only a few pennies in them Does anyone else do this????

Right, back to work!

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 11th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Forgot to add, today will most likely be a NSD as I can't think of anything I need to spend on and I probably won't even leave the house!
    Since 1st September 2017
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 11th Apr 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 9,008 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like lots of thoughts going on in your head. Maybe take some time doing some mentoring task and see if you can suss it out.

With regards ynab, I have my ynab broken down into sections:
    Monthly bills, the aim is to get to 0 - so that doesn't bother me if the are 0,
    Then there are the categories I can spend, groceries etc, the idea behind these Categories is to see how much I am 'save' by doing tilly tidies etc.

The. There are my savings categories that I need to get as high
    As possible each month. I know it's games, but it keeps
    Me motivated.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 11th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Hi Wish, I have similar categories set up for you but I don't Tilly tidy - I keep leftovers in them and they automatically roll over to the next month. I like to see the green!!
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 11th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Debt is 0% Interest - wonderings
    My credit card debt (CC2) is 0% until June 2019, which means it's not costing me any money.

I'm currently going through a phase of wanting to save, save, save. I'm very much a phase person, as my diary probably indicates

My short term plan (do-able within the next 14 months) is to pay off all my consumer debt and have a fully funded emergency fund. The latter would be comprised of: 1) Emergency Fund (£500); 2) A Month Ahead Salary Buffer (£2300); 3) 3-6 Months Expenses Fund (£5000).

I've played around with my YNAB budgets (creating two parallel ones) and have produced two options to achieve this:

Option 1: Pay off CC2 as soon as possible, clearing it by 30th September 2018 and then save the EF's by June 2019

Option 2: Pay £225 per month off CC2 to clear by June 2019 and save the remaining spare ££s into my Emergency Funds, by June 2019. The break even point (where savings equal debt), would still be 30th September 2018.

The above is based on an add hoc monthly budget until Dec 2018 and, from January 2019, a proper budget that allocates a set amount every month to all categories (e.g. £50 clothes, £50 household misc., £30 health; £200 holidays, £50 car maintenance etc etc etc).

Since starting my diary, I've been really driven to pay off the CC debt as soon as possible, largely for mortgage and secrecy purposes. But, these have recently changed as we've recently decided to delay moving until later in the year and DF now knows about my debts.

Over the last few days, I've been reading other people's diaries and encountering tales of people taking the scenic route to debt repayment (especially where their debt is 0%) and at the same time, building up a decent EF.

I'm going to think through this over the next couple of days. If I took Option 2, my countdown would still stand, though it would be a countdown to Break Even.

I'd be keen to hear your views on this. Does the above Option 2 sound sensible given the changing circumstances and interest free debt?
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 12th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    172 Days to Go!
    I like seeing the numbers go down on my debt free (...or debt 'neutral') countdown!

Today is a day of meetings in town and there will be some spends as I need to pay for parking (all expense-able) and possibly a bit of public transport / taxi. I'm unsure just now as it all depends on the weather. I don't want to be walking half way across town in the rain to a meeting in the middle of nowhere. Also not sure if I have a working dinner or not. I can't remember what the plans were.

£2.47 cleaned in my account from TCB. Still got about £8 pending from PA. Their website seems to be having problems at the moment, well for me anyway, and my studies are taking aaaaages to clear.

Also still waiting on £70.70 to clear in TCB from insurance purchases from December. I think it'll be another 3 months!

Have a great day!

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 13th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    171 Days and Counting!
    To my delight, yesterday turned out to be a NSD. I parked for free in the town near my first meeting where I had free lunch. I then walked across town to another meeting with colleagues, where we all had a free evening meal. I then shared a cab back to the original meeting place with 4 other colleagues, one of whom paid to claim expenses! I now have £50 in my purse burning a hole I've decided to use it as my fuel spends.

Had a good moan about work to my colleagues last night (see my earlier post) and I was surprised to learn about a growing air of discontent in my team, largely the result of a newish line manager. I think perhaps, subconsciously, I've been picking up on this at work. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Today is WFH. We have an Ocad0 shop coming shortly and hopefully something in for dinner though we haven't quite thought about what that will be. I may even bag another NSD today!

A quiet weekend of catching up on house work, perhaps doing some sport and / or going for a walk.

Have a great Friday 13th!

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 13th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    PA balance now at £17.97 and will cash out at £20. PA seems to be being really slow with approving studies. I've more pending than cleared!

I reckon I can make today a NSD. That would be 5 days in a row. Oh, wait, I did an Ocad0 order on Wednesday. Does that count? Probably does. Darn it.

I think I've decided to take the scenic route to paying down my CC2 and using the spare ££s to build my emergency funds (Option 2 in the posts earlier in my diary). I'm still mulling it over but I think I would feel more secure knowing that I have a £500 EF, a £2300 salary buffer and a £5000 emergency expenses fund. Anyway, I will mull over it some more and decide in the next day or two and them amend my signature.

Right, got a wee bit of work to get done and then its the weekend. Yay!!!
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 14th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    T-minus 170 Days
    So yesterday involved a £7 spend in the end. DF and I had a naughty takeaway as the meat we ordered from Ocad0 that we planned to use for dinner was simply dreadful. We'd ordered diced lamb to use in a curry and what arrived was so gristly and fatty. It had been pre cut into such small cubes that it was impossible to trim. Very disappointing. Anyway, I've emailed Ocad0 and I'm hoping for a refund (which will cover my part of the cost of the takeaway it turns out!). Will stick to the local butchers for cuts of meat like this in the future.

Today is Operation Sort Out The House. DF is the messy one and I'm the tidy one, so I try to keep on top of tidiness and I'm normally the one putting everything back in its place. Its got a bit untidy over the past few days and I have a busy week ahead, so I want it to be nice and organised for that. The weather is nice so I'm thinking of throwing DF out to enjoy a short walk or something whilst I sort stuff out. As a kid, my mum always used to throw us out when she tidied up on Saturday mornings!

DF and I had a brief chat about buying a new car as our main car is getting a bit old now and will soon start to cost us money. Our plan is to buy a 2 year old one and pay cash. I need to see how that works for my financial plans over the coming 12-18 months. DF initially seemed anxious about his ability to save up that amount of money from his salary. I told him I manage to set aside at least £800 per month (okay, it's on debt repayments) and if I can do it, he certainly can since he has no debt or payments and makes £8K a year more than I do (without a student loan deduction). I think he had a mini LBM

I'm in the office for most of next week so I need to plan evening meals and office lunches to make the week smooth and easy. And outfits!! I find the more prepared I am, the easier the 6am get ups are.

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 18th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    166 Days and Counting
    Radio silence for the past few days. I was feeling rather under the weather but I'm now back in the game!

Worked from home / felt poorly on Monday and had a NSD. Tuesday I was in the office and I was deeply unorganised so bought lunch locally I know, I know!! Today I'm in the office too but I have got lunchy stuff with me. I'm out for dinner this evening but I'm hoping to keep spends down.

PA now at around £20.70 ish. I can't remember off the top of my head the precise balance, but I'm ready to cash out soonish. I'll pop it into the eating out pot, as most other categories are doing okay and it could do with a boost.

My only spends over the past four days besides lunch buying naughtiness have been £25 fuel for my commute and £2.25 on coffee to keep me going between work meetings. I never normally buy coffee at work, since we have all those facilities to hand in the office, but I was hanging around for an hour between meetings and decided to take a break in a local cafe. Felt guilty about coffee cup waste. Must think of how to get around that - I try to keep my use of plastic (water bottles, food containers etc etc) to a minimum as I'm concerned about hormone disruption (oestrogen dominance). Too much Dr Google. Anyhow, I digress. The point is I don't want to start using plastic-based refill mugs on a regular basis, but I do want to do my part in reducing the billions of coffee cups that are thrown away on daily basis. Will scour the forums here for inspiration.

What else? I'm in the office quite a bit over the next few weeks so I need to watch my fuel spends. My fuel budget might running on fumes itself by the time April 30th appears. On that note, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new tax year brings. If my calculations are correct, my net take home pay will go up by £12.38 per month. It'll do!

Have a lovely warm day!

DSL
    Since 1st September 2017
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 19th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    165 Days Remaining!
    The countdown is making my debt free / debt neutral date more exciting that it should be!

Bit of a dilemma... a few months ago I switched up my skin care routine. Well, it is completely, 100%, absolutely NOT working out well for my skin. I've never known my skin so shiny and spotty or my makeup so unable to stay put. At first I thought my skin just needed some time to get used to the products and routine. But, after 10 weeks, I am now Fed Up. The products are 'natural' (Liz 3arle) and use a range of natural oils (avocado etc) as a base for the moisturiser. The combination skin moisturiser that I first tried about 5 weeks ago was way too heavy for my skin - my face would be super shiny by midday and my makeup practically dissolving by 3pm - so I switched to the light moisturiser for day time and used the combination moisturiser for evenings on the recommendation of the counter lady. However, I still have the same shiny-slipping-sliding problem, albeit to a slightly less, though still unacceptable, extent. Primers and setting sprays didn't help either. To top it all off, I've been getting lots of spots, particularly in places I'd never before got them. I initially wondered if the spots had been caused by some of the new herbal teas I'd been drinking (in the hope the natural skincare was not the culprit) but I excluded the tea over the past two weeks and I still have the spots! The excessive oil production caused by the moisturiser must be irritating my skin and blocking my pores. So, the moisturiser just doesn't suit my skin.

So on my hunt for a new moisturiser, I did some fairly extensive research on different types of moisturisers, slipping makeup, skin irritation, oil production, causes of adult acne etc etc. Well, it turns out that to prevent you foundation slipping, you need to match the base of your moisturiser (oil, water or silicone) with the base of your foundation because oil and water simply just don't mix and that is the main cause of foundation slippage!! Oil based-moisturisers should be used under oil-based foundations. I actually use a powder foundation and I've not quite figured out what the best moisturiser is for that, but I suspect its NOT oil-based!!! I think my previous moisturiser had been water based and obviously the LE one is oil-based. "That has to be the reason for the shine, spots and slipping foundation" I yelled to myself in delight!

So, armed with my newly acquired wisdom, I've been a bit non-MSE friendly and invested in a gel-based moisturiser, alcohol free toner and mild cleanser from Clini8ue, which I will use for the next month or so to see how my skin reacts I reeeeeeally hope it works as I am so fed up of spots and sliding makeup and this heat is not helping! I'll use some of my unassigned expenses due back shortly to cover the cost. I will probably give my other oil-based products to my friend who I know loves that range. It's a shame as I wanted to support the LE brand as I had heard so may good things about it, but it just mustn't work with my skin type.

Right, back to work. I'm glad I'm working at home today in this heat. I've got the curtains in all unoccupied rooms closed to keep the house cool (a Spanish trick, though they use shutters) and it's working a treat! In fact, I may have to put the heating on... only joking!!!
    Since 1st September 2017
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 16th May 18, 12:05 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    pidge04
    Hi
    I just went back to the beginning of my diary where you had posted and decided to look at your diary again.
    How are you doing? Looks like it has been a month since you posted unless I have missed some posts.
    I am very impressed by your number of no spend days and the money you are bringing in from (I think) surveys. I imagine they are a good way of feeling like you have done something. I struggle on the days when I feel like I have not done anything to reduce the amount I owe.
    Ok, just checking in. Hope you are ok and feeling motivated etc!
    CC1 £2400/£267 CC2 £3000/£2269 LOAN £13,000/£4871
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

726Posts Today

5,380Users online

Martin's Twitter