Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnnyboy5
    • By Johnnyboy5 21st Aug 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Johnnyboy5
    Huge Gas Bill
    • 21st Aug 17, 7:28 PM
    Huge Gas Bill 21st Aug 17 at 7:28 PM
    Hi all, wondering if anyone can advise on this...

I received a bill of over £2000 from Eon for gas usage a few weeks ago with them wanting to increase my DD to £500 odd per month, which I assumed was a billing error, however Eon are standing by the charge and my account is now in deadlock with my only option being to write to the Ombudsman.

I've submitted regular meter readings and have gone back over these. In summary my units used has gone from 700 in all of 2016 to 5000 so far in 2017. The huge increase looks to have started at the beginning of this year and continues to increase at a ridiculous rate. I was away from home last Monday to Friday, took a reading before and after and it shows 30 units used despite not being at home and clearly no appliances used. I have a combi boiler, heating hasn't been on since Mar/Apr this year, cooker is gas hob, electric oven and I have a gas fire which hasn't been used in years. Oven (not hob) was replaced in Jan which ties in with the increase.

I can think of 3 possible causes

- Dodgy boiler drawing too much gas
    - Gas leak (surely I would've smelled something)
    - Faulty meter, which I understand is highly unlikely

Does anyone have a view on what is the likely cause of this? It's stressing me out and I'm in the process of getting a gas engineer out to take a look but wondering if anyone has experience of this.

Thanks!
Page 2
    • Johnnyboy5
    • By Johnnyboy5 29th Aug 17, 1:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Johnnyboy5
    Check the serial number on your meter. If it starts E6 then these meters are prone to incrementing i.e. continuing to advance when no gas is being used.
    Originally posted by stewie_griffin
    The serial number does begin E6. I've given Eon the go ahead to do a meter test.

Mods - would appreciate if this thread could remain open until I can update on the outcome.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 29th Aug 17, 1:20 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @Johnnyboy5

Threads never close here so no need to ask for any special treatment.
    • Johnnyboy5
    • By Johnnyboy5 9th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Johnnyboy5
    Returning to this thread to update on results....

After 2 missed appointments, Eon's meter test contractors finally turned up in early November to take my meter away for test. Results received in December to confirm that the meter was indeed faulty, so faulty that a reasonable estimate couldn't be put on its inaccuracy.

The Ombudsman ruled that Eon should recalculate my bill based on 2016 usage, credit me £75 for the no show appointments and refund my £170 meter test fee, which Eon accepted. In summary, £3600 has been removed from my 2017 gas bill, leaving me £300 in credit.

Thanks to eveyone who contributed to this thread and especially stewie_griffin who pointed out that Siemens (Landis & Gyr) meters with serial numbers starting E6 were prone to faults.

What a relief and hopefully someone will find this thread useful, should they find themselves in a similar predicament in future.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    matelodave
    Thanks for keeping us all up to date - so many people ask for assistance and then disappear into the ether.

Glad you've got it all sorted out
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

577Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter