Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 7:57 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    Corrupt landlord
    • 17th Aug 17, 7:57 PM
    Corrupt landlord 17th Aug 17 at 7:57 PM
    Good afternoon I need some urgent advise. Changing lives has theft a bbq of me which was in the garden I reckon out of spite. They claimed they have taken it for heath and safety and disposed of it without warning.

however I have pointed out that they thrown tennabrs stuff out on the streets and left it there theys stuff on the roof of a old backdoor toilet and right at the back.of the garden theres old boilers broken wood paint which is a heath and safety issue they aint addressed. There also rats in the house they aint addressed and I fell builled and intimated by them. They enter my room and seached through papperwork.

Upon asking flatmates ive have been made aware one was overheard saying we keep that that looks nice

what advise do you give
Page 1
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 17th Aug 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    mrginge
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:15 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:15 PM
    Anyone got a clue on what this means?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 51,224 Posts
    • 64,285 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    Your post is not very clear. However

1) if someone (maybe your landlord?) has taken property from you (eg a BBQ) without your permission, that is theft. Contact the police

2) if the property needs repairs, write to the landlord with a list of repairs needed. Read:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

3) it would also help us if we understood your contract:
    * do you rent a whole property? Or share?
    * do you share with your landlord? Or other tenants?
    * do you have an individual contract in your sole name? Or are you on the same contract with other people (ie it says "The Tenant:...." and then a list of names)?
    * how long have you been there? Does you contract have a start and end date?
    * did you pay a deposit? Is it registered?

4) Rats. Report this to Environmental Health at the council. Look at your local council website: either pest control eg
    http://www.bedford.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/env_health__trading_standards/pest_control.aspx

or private housing eg
    http://www.bedford.gov.uk/housing/private_rented_housing.aspx

Last edited by G_M; 17-08-2017 at 8:20 PM.
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 8:24 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 8:24 PM
    Basically I explain

I live in a hostel ran by changing lives. The hostel is in poor condition with rats and in the garden there is old boiler broken wood and basically looks like a tip. Landlord refuses to deal with it. However last week the landlord kicked someone out and threw all of this stuff in the front garden and just left it there. Its been there for two weeks and blocks a window.

However I went.out tuesday and I have a.brand new bbq in the garden. All covered up doing no harm. This is when the events turn as im leaving.monday I was packing up wedensday and the bbq was missing I rang them up and they laughed down the phone and said we dont have the bbq so I called the police and reported the theft. I then get a call from police saying they took it and destroyed it for heath and safety. However I said so you dont deal with the rats you dont deal with the rubbish and tripping hazards but you get rid of a bbq. Today I been made aware that someone from the landlords office come up and they overheard that they took it and said we take that

Police claim it a civil matter I claim its theft.

I have taken pictures of the garden front and back to prove it was not a heath and safety matter it was a matter of spite. I only have 5 arrears but they own me 50 on monday when I leave
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 17th Aug 17, 9:11 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:11 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:11 PM
    Where is this?
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 9:12 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:12 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:12 PM
    London area greenwich
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Aug 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6,973 Posts
    • 11,239 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:21 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:21 PM
    Did you ask changing lives if you could leave a bbq in their garden? If you didn't then you can't accuse them of moving it from their garden.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 17th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 13,955 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    Get back on to the police and ask to speak to a more senior officer about the way you report of theft has been mis-handled. Your property has been taken by someone else with the intention of permanently depriving you of that property - this is an offence under section 1 of the Theft Act 1968.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 17th Aug 17, 9:29 PM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 13,955 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:29 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 9:29 PM
    Did you ask changing lives if you could leave a bbq in their garden? If you didn't then you can't accuse them of moving it from their garden.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    They have to give it back to the OP - otherwise it is theft.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    • 51,224 Posts
    • 64,285 Thanks
    G_M
    You could return to the police and insist it is either theft and/or criminal damage. Ask to see a more senior officer, and ask for a Crime Number.

You could complain to one of the Changing Lives board. They run CLs:

http://www.changing-lives.org.uk/about-us/the-board/

For example, the Chair of the Board is Baroness Armstrogn of Hilltop. Email:

armstrongh@parliament.uk
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 17th Aug 17, 9:32 PM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 13,955 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Have you followed Changing Lives formal complaint procedure? :

http://www.changing-lives.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Complaint-Leaflet.pdf
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 9:34 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    http://www.changingliveshousingtrust.org

Its not that changing lives
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 9:47 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    They have told me they have disposed of it its only two months old. But police have said its a civil matter
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Aug 17, 9:52 PM
    • 51,224 Posts
    • 64,285 Thanks
    G_M
    They have told me they have disposed of it its only two months old. But police have said its a civil matter
    Originally posted by Chrisw030290
    Yes you've already said that and been given further advice.

What more do you want from us?
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 10:04 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    Well what are my rights. How do I claim for the cost
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 17th Aug 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    jimbog
    As an aside, if I was living in a hostel the purchasing of a bbq in the first place would have been a low priority.
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 10:24 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    I had it in.my old property so brought it was me
    • patman99
    • By patman99 17th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 8,323 Posts
    • 9,945 Thanks
    patman99
    Ah, so you arrived at the hostel from another address for a short-term stay whilst awaiting a new more permanent home then?.

The BBQ was purchased whilst you lived at the previous address and you brought it to the hostel along with your other possessions. As they had knowledge of the BBQ from the time you arrived, and have not contacted you about it previously to give you a chance to deal with it, it is worth pushing the theft claim further.

As you are leaving on Monday, wait until you are on your new home and then contact the local press. Nothing like bad publicity to force a landlord to deal with all the issues at the hostel.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 13.74/ 1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF 0/3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Chrisw030290
    • By Chrisw030290 17th Aug 17, 10:51 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisw030290
    I called the press they wont deal with it unless my photo is the papper which I refused
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Aug 17, 11:12 PM
    • 6,973 Posts
    • 11,239 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    They are not going to let anyone leave a bbq outside in the garden where anyone can put something on it and set it alight. Health and safety can include having potential for someone to burn things. You couldn't watch the bbq the whole time when it was in the garden. Also I assume that the garden is shared with other residents of the hostel so it isn't your garden exclusively?

If you had wanted to keep the bbq you should have put it into storage. It wasn't safe in the garden anyway anyone could have stolen it. You are not going to get it back. You will just have to accept that you will not have a bbq in your next property and that will be a good thing because it will be one less thing for you to have to move and you won't have to find somewhere to leave in in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,062Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter