IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Admin Centre Notice to Keeper/Hirer

Comments

• Redx wrote: »
    having read this thread from page 1 at no time have you mentioned being issued with a popla code , even when your appeal was rejected

so the question is , have you received a popla code ? or not ?

ps:- if the alleged "overstay" was only 11 minutes, it falls under clause #13 of the BPA CoP which allows TWO grace periods , one before of say 5 to 10 minutes, plus one after of OVER 10 minutes

so you need a GRACE PERIOD appeal point included in the popla appeal

Thank you Redx. Yes they did send me a POPLA code. If I attach this text at the end is it OK?

7) Insufficient Grace Period

No period of grace was given for the driver to read the additional signs within the car park, or to exit the car park following the parking period.

This matter appears to flow from an allegation of 'overstay' of a mere 11 minutes, despite the fact this is not an overstay at all and is unsupported by the BPA.

The BPA Code of Practice (13.2) states that parking operators "should allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’ in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If the driver is on your land without permission, you should still allow them a grace period to read your signs and leave before you take enforcement action." As stated previously, the signs in this car park are insufficient to allow the driver to decide whether parking in the car park would breach any contract.

Kevin Reynolds, Head of Public Affairs and Policy at BPA states that:

‘There is a difference between ‘grace’ periods and ‘observation’ periods in parking and that good practice allows for this.

“An observation period is the time when an enforcement officer should be able to determine what the motorist intends to do once in the car park. The BPA’s guidance specifically says that there must be sufficient time for the motorist to park their car, observe the signs, decide whether they want to comply with the operator’s conditions and either drive away or pay for a ticket,” he explains.

“No time limit is specified. This is because it might take one person five minutes, but another person 10 minutes depending on various factors, not limited to disability.”

The BPA’s guidance defines the ‘grace period’ as the time allowed after permitted or paid-for parking has expired but before any kind of enforcement takes place.

Kelvin continues: “In the instance of a PCN being issued while a ticket is being purchased, the operator has clearly not given the motorist sufficient time to read the signs and comply as per the operator’s own rules. If a motorist decides they do not want to comply and leaves the car park, then a reasonable period of time should be provided also.”’

In addition, the BPA Code of Practice (13.4) states that the parking operators “should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action. If the location is one where parking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the end of the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes.”
    For the avoidance of doubt, the second 'grace' period of at least ten minutes (not a maximum, but a minimum) is in addition to the separate, first grace/observation period that must be allowed to allow the time taken to arrive, find a parking bay, lock the car and go over to any machine to read & observe the signage terms, before paying.

It is very clear from the evidence that PCN Admin Centre have failed to uphold the minimum grace periods set out in the BPA Code of Practice, as the total time in the car park exceeded the paid period by only 11 minutes.

By any stretch of the imagination, these few minutes are well within what an ordinary independent person assessing the facts would consider reasonable. In fact this case demonstrates significant unreasonableness on the part of this parking operator who appear to be ignoring their Trade Body rules from the BPA.
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I think the POPLA code was on an appeal rejection letter attached to the email admitting they were wrong.

Make sure you embed a scan of that email into your appeal word document before you save it as a PDF.

The BPA's reply is worthless and deserves to be forwarded to the DVLA with a specific complaint.

Say in a follow-up email to Steve Clark at the BPA and David Dunford at the DVLA, that:

Thank you Coupon-mad, I will do that this weekend. One question, I am using PCN Admin Centre throughout my appeal. Is that correct or should I be using the name of the client Key Parking Solutions?
  • The BPA's response is embarrassing and is further evidence that the private parking "industry" is incapable of regulating itself.

C-M - do you mean a follow up email to David Dunford at the DVLA? Could also copy in Steve Clark at the BPA just to highlight how incompetent his colleagues in the BPA Complaints Department really are.

Thanks Edna.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    DollyPeach wrote: »
    Just got a reply from BPA regarding my complaint that I was being denied the right to appeal as keeper and this is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Code of Practice sets out that the motorist has 28 days from the issue of the initial Parking Charge Notice to appeal. Based
    on the information you have attached, the Parking Charge Notice appears to have been issued on 12/06/2017. Once the 28 days have elapsed (which would have been on 10/07/2017) it is at the operators discretion as to whether they hear your appeal or continue to pursue you.

As we are a membership association, we are unable to become in individual disputes. We can, however, investigate any alleged breaches of our Code of Practice. Based on the information that you have provided, I have not identified a breach of our Code of Practice.

I am sorry that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion.

Yet another good reason why the BPA should be stripped
    of their ATA status
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    DollyPeach wrote: »
    Thank you Coupon-mad, I will do that this weekend. One question, I am using PCN Admin Centre throughout my appeal. Is that correct or should I be using the name of the client Key Parking Solutions?

Key Parking Solutions.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • POPLA appeal submitted.
    Email to David Dunford sent.
    Email to Steven Clark sent.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you all so much for your help and patience.
  • DollyPeach
    DollyPeach Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 2:02PM
    Well hopefully they are now taking my complaint seriously:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

I have been in dialogue with Steve Clark in regards to your complaint and upon further consideration, the decision to open an investigation has been made.

The case reference for this investigation is: BPA-XXXXX

I will now contact the operator for their comments and update you once I have received their response. Please kindly be advised that it can take the operator up to 14 days to investigate and respond to us.

Kind regards,"
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 3 October 2017 at 10:03PM
    Hahahaha!

The worst thing in all this (worse than the PPC, who admitted their error) was the email from the BPA that said, literally and unequivocally, as if it was TRUE, that an AOS member DID have 'discretion' to ignore a keeper appealing to a NTK!

NONONO. They do not. Some of us have long memories and we KNOW what happened in 2012.

Clearly the POFA schedule 4 effects for 'keeper liability' being initially withheld from PPCs to use the law in October 2012 (and they were NOT allowed to use it immediately, as I am sure I am not the only one who recalls) until an appeals system for keepers was in place, shows that AN APPEALS SYSTEM FOR KEEPERS MUST BE IN PLACE!

That's the truly rotten aspect, the BPA, for replying with utter crap excuses, that are not even true. And Steve Clark will know that, as he is one (he and Gemma) from 'back in the day' who used to answer complaints honestly and in good faith to consumers. They were reasonable, fair and they investigated thoroughly.

Now we see NOTHING but fob-offs and rudeness to consumers from 'Thomas' and 'Joanne' and frankly, it's unacceptable.

Just to remind everyone, this is what Haywards Heath's finest at the BPA had to say to this OP keeper:
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Code of Practice sets out that the motorist has 28 days from the issue of the initial Parking Charge Notice to appeal.

Based on the information you have attached, the Parking Charge Notice appears to have been issued on 12/06/2017. Once the 28 days have elapsed (which would have been on 10/07/2017) it is at the operators discretion as to whether they hear your appeal or continue to pursue you.

As we are a membership association, we are unable to become in individual disputes. We can, however, investigate any alleged breaches of our Code of Practice. Based on the information that you have provided, I have not identified a breach of our Code of Practice.

I am sorry that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion.

:wall::wall::wall:

More training needed, BPA.

These lies/this misinformation about a keeper's right to appeal, is simply not OK.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 3 October 2017 at 10:03PM
    She's a relative newbie then!

Why do these kids not get a proper job, believe me, there are plenty of options in West Sussex that do not involve working for parking firms/the BPA.
  • Well I was hoping for more but this is the response from Steve Clark via Emma-Louise:

"Thank you for your patience whilst this matter was investigated.

I have received a response from ZZPS who advised that they identified the error on their end and the appeal was considered and formally rejected on 23/08/2017. They advised that a POPLA code was provided to you within the rejection.

ZZPS have addressed the error with the agent concerned to ensure that they understand the Registered Keeper has 28 days from the Notice to Keeper in which to appeal. To ensure there is no confusion, the entire team within ZZPS have been reminded of the correct process and procedure.

I hope that the above information is of assistance to you.

Since the investigation has been concluded, I shall now proceed to close the case."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure