PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Low/zero alcohol 'wines'... any good?

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I was visiting a friend, she said do you want this wine, it's alcohol free, and we don't like it. (Doc says she has to cut down). I tried it, and said, no thanks, yuk, throw it down the sink. It's not very often I would turn down freebies, but it was horrible.

Drinking wine, or any alcohol is not on my 'needs' list.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    I've never seen the point in alcohol free, either drink or don't drink, if that is to hard then maybe there is an underlying issue.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Wookey wrote: »
    I've never seen the point in alcohol free, either drink or don't drink, if that is to hard then maybe there is an underlying issue.

Hmm.. not sure that's necessarily the case. I like a glass of wine for its taste. If I just wanted alcohol I'd drink meths. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the relaxation a glass of alcoholic wine gives but honestly if I could get the same complex, delicious and crucially not sweet flavours without the alcohol I'd happily go for that. Sadly non-alcoholic wine seems to all taste like pop and I'm not a fan of sweet drinks.
  • Wookey
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I like a glass of wine for its taste. If I just wanted alcohol I'd drink meths.

I think anyone reading this should avoid drinking meths unless they want to end up dead, not the most scientific of places but wiki suffices enough to get the message across https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Meths/methanol should not be confused with Ethanol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
  • Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Hmm.. not sure that's necessarily the case. I like a glass of wine for its taste. If I just wanted alcohol I'd drink meths. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the relaxation a glass of alcoholic wine gives but honestly if I could get the same complex, delicious and crucially not sweet flavours without the alcohol I'd happily go for that. Sadly non-alcoholic wine seems to all taste like pop and I'm not a fan of sweet drinks.

Thank you for that.

It's amazing how many peope seem to go out of their way to look for sinister or unstated motives behind really quite simple enquiries...
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just reduce the amount you pour into the glass, a 150ml measure is 5 glasses per bottle, less wine and more measures per bottle, a win win.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Wookey wrote: »
    I think anyone reading this should avoid drinking meths unless they want to end up dead, not the most scientific of places but wiki suffices enough to get the message across https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Meths/methanol should not be confused with Ethanol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Just to be clear - I was joking about the meths. I kind of assumed that would be understood. :-)
  • Ginmonster wrote: »
    Just to be clear - I was joking about the meths. I kind of assumed that would be understood. :-)

:rotfl:

I thought the purple stuff they add was supposed to make it undrinkable anyway.
  • Wookey

That is the problem with posting on forums, no one knows exactly how you intend something to sound and any uneducated person taking comments the wrong way can have serious consequences for them.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,219 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    AlisonW wrote: »
    :rotfl:

I thought the purple stuff they add was supposed to make it undrinkable anyway.

I think straining through bread removes the purple :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure