Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    edited 5 September 2017 at 2:30PM
    That was pretty much one of the points of my query - why and how did MSE negotiate a collective deal with EDF that was dearer than the tariff EDF were already offering while MSE were actually negotiating the collective deal?

It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing MSE would let slip through it's money saving fingers ...... unless you know better? If MSE knew (I am not saying they did!) that it was a poorer deal than the non-collective EDF deal, did they not think anyone would notice? The question has to be asked whether MSE would have been wiser to not do the collective deal and let EDF leave the cheaper tariff on for us to switch to?

The other point I was asking about was why limit the switch to 25,000 when MSE CEC claim to have near 3 million members to dangle in front of EDF. Less than 1% ... something doesn't add up with this whole deal.

I'm too much of a newbie here to figure out what is going on!
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    I made my decision last week.

Switch to Bulb or the Collective Fix.

Now I know the details of the Collective Fix with EDF, I've just switched to Bulb.

No exit fees, therefore I can switch again if unhappy.

Job done! :beer:
  • hubb wrote: »
    Why go for the big names ? doesn't necessarily mean better.

Huge disappointment on the pants collective deal. Wish I had fixed it a few days ago now.
    As I've said before, I've gone with TogetherEnergy. I note now that they are coming out cheapest on Confused.com but still aren't appearing on the MSE Energy comparison site - strange?
  • We are also on the BGas collective switch, which ends early October,
    and have done the obligatory searches, so do we change to a 1yr fixed deal with breeze or oneselect with an approx. £400 saving or switch to OVO on a 2yr fixed tariff but only a saving of £327.
    Has anyone any ideas regarding these suppliers or suggestions regarding other suppliers.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So should we wait and get the most of the BG deal util the 3rd and then switch or is the gamble that prices will have risen even more thus cancelling out any gain from staying the full BG duration ?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 8:06PM
    hubb wrote: »
    Why go for the big names ? doesn't necessarily mean better.

I got bored scrolling down the full list trying to find the collective tariff !

No, seriously, I did this to try to shore up the comparison. When a duck is as dead as this one it only seems fair to cut it some slack. :rotfl:

EDIT: Also note Martin's own comments: "This one-year collective fixed deal from EDF is the cheapest big six deal on the market"
  • polymaff
    jmnathan wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see how many people actually sign up for it. I can't see anyone coming off the existing BG collective going for it over any of the other current offerings. Whilst there may be some newer customers, surely the people registered for the new collective are those savvy enough to switch regularly who would go for the cheapest available.

The only thing I can envisage is that when negotiations into a collective started EDF where the cheapest Big 6 supplier around so CEC attempted to negotiate something cheaper. Surely this sort of thing is only worthwhile by getting the cheapest supplier to be even cheaper?

Martin's switches have been various sorts of dead duck from the start - but even he, if you read his comment on this latest fiasco, seems to have lost the will to live.
  • polymaff wrote: »
    Martin's switches have been various sorts of dead duck from the start - but even he, if you read his comment on this latest fiasco, seems to have lost the will to live.

Tell me where I can find Martin's comments on this .... I'd love to read them!
  • polymaff
    edited 5 September 2017 at 8:17PM
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    Tell me where I can find Martin's comments on this .... I'd love to read them!

How about we start with:

"This one-year collective fixed deal from EDF is the cheapest big six deal on the market, "

Who was once championing challengers to the "big six" - and anyway in the Eastern Region - the most populous of the lot - nPower undercuts MSE Collective significantly on their one-year fixed.

"Not for you if you:
    • Just want the cheapest"
    100% true, 0% MSE.

The above collected from CEC website. Log in, do a comparison then expand the Collective's entry in the search results.

There are more comments - and I welcome even a slight degree of moderation in MSE's over-hyping of their collectives (Oh, we had to simplify what we wrote) - but "cheapest big six deal on the market" it is not.
  • Thanks Polymaff ... I see what you mean now.

Still no comment from any MSE staff despite my invite ..... better not hold my breath!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure