Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tbay07
    • By tbay07 7th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 3Thanks
    tbay07
    Vehicle Control Services County Court Claim - Am I stuffed?
    • 7th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    Vehicle Control Services County Court Claim - Am I stuffed? 7th Aug 17 at 8:29 PM
    Hi,

I realise there are a number of threads posted about this issue on here but most of the advice says to start a new thread with the particulars so here goes:

I got a private parking ticket back in November 2015 for not displaying my pass at work. My pass is just literally a piece of paper with my company's name on, not very 'official'. It amounted to 100 pounds, which I thought was excessive for a space I'm entitled to park in and just not showing my pass clearly. I appealed to the private company and never heard back.

That was until a year later, when I got two more parking charges on two consecutive days in November 2016 when I had a scarf on my chair that covered up my pass. I know this is my own fault and I should have had this pass displayed, however I then appealed these two charges together, explaining what had happened and I wrote this from my company email address, which I asked them to use as proof of my employment and therefore entitlement to park in that space. It's also worth noting I took a picture of signs up in the car park that contradict each other. One is from the parking fine company which says you must have a permit and another sign right next to it says the spaces are reserved for staff and visitors of my company. I'm not sure how visitors would have a valid permit.

I never heard back from my appeal, only to then receive (in February this year) a 'notice to take legal action' letter which I responded to informing the company I had an appeal in place and had not heard back. The next correspondence I got was another 'notice to take legal action' letter in May, by this point I was quite fed up and ignored it.

Until today, when I received a County Court Claim Form for the 300 pounds in charges as well as interest on top and court fees.

I know at least 5 other people in my office who have forgotten their passes, and my manager is currently in talks with someone to tr and put a stop to these fines being issued to employees.

I know I've made some basic errors (in hindsight) but things are tight financially at the moment and I really can't afford to pay what they're asking.

I suppose I'm looking to get advice on what to do next really.

1) Should I attend court and fight VCS
    2) Should I get a solicitor
    3) Should I attempt a settlement.

I'm so rubbish at this sort of thing. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Tanya
Page 2
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 8th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yes it!!!8217;s of course different

Defence is a series of legal arguments
    Ws is a statement of facts.

You should have seen the many examples on just this page alone in your research
    • tbay07
    • By tbay07 9th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tbay07
    Witness Statement
    Thanks for the push in the right direction, I found the relevant posts and managed to put together a witness statement.

Again, any advice or corrections are welcome.

Thanks,

BETWEEN:
    Vehicle Control Services LTD (Claimant)

-and-

____ (Defendant)

I, ______ of ________ am the defendant in this case.
    1. I deny that I am liable for the amount set out by the claimant and I submit this witness statement in support of my defence.

2. I assert that I was the registered keeper of the vehicle in question in this case, a red corsa with registration ______, and I was the driver at the time the parking tickets were issued. On three separate occasions I parked my car on private premises that are leased to the office I worked for, _____. There is a contract between the landlord and _______ clearly stating the terms of parking. I have included this for your consideration.

3. I have been issued with three fines from Vehicle Control Services, while parking in my allotted space at my previous workplace for ‘breach of contract’. These were issued 19/11/2015, 18/10/2016, 07/11/2016. Each fine was for £100 amounting to £300 in total. I emailed the company directly to appeal the first two charges before the third charge was issued, however I did not receive a response from them, instead I received final reminders to make payment and then a county court claim form.

4. On the days in question I did have a piece of paper noting that I worked for ______ that had been created to make any parking officers aware that I was eligible to park in the allotted spaces. Though I had displayed this, by the time I had arrived back to my car I found the pass was not visible, either it had fallen on the floor or was partly covered by another object, therefore I had been issued with a fine on each of the three occasions.

5. I am asking the court to dismiss the fines and amounts payable to Vehicle Control Services. The key reason is that I deny that I entered into a contract with Vehicle Control Services as contract already stood between employees of ______, which I was at the time, and The landlord; therefore I don’t believe it is feasible to impose another contract with different terms that were not clearly set out.

6. I would also like the court to consider the poor signage prominent at the parking spaces in question. I have included pictures of the signs which clearly shows three different terms of parking, one of which states ‘These 3 bays are reserved for staff and visitors of ______’ without mention of any permits required. Next to this, the Vehicle Control Services sign is very confusing in itself; the picture I have submitted with this statement shows the small print is not readable compared to the other signs.

I believe the facts stated in this statement are true.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 7,656 Posts
    • 7,350 Thanks
    KeithP
    Time for you to read post #3 again.

Please stop using the word 'fine'.

Have you got a witness statement from your employer... again suggested in post #3?

Back to your witness statement...

Your point 4. could be better worded.
    How about:
    4. On the days in question I did have a piece of paper noting that I worked for ______ that had been created to make any parking officers aware that I was eligible to park in the allotted spaces. I displayed this. For some reason the parking officer did not see this, so I had been issued with a speculative invoice on each of the three occasions.
    Perhaps your point 6 should state why you think 'the Vehicle Control Services sign is very confusing in itself'.
    • tbay07
    • By tbay07 9th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tbay07
    Ah, of course, old habits die hard as they say. I've changed all mention of 'fines' to 'invoices' now and rephrased paragraph 4 as you suggested.

I've also changed the wording on paragraph six about the signage:

6. I would also like the court to consider the poor signage prominent at the parking spaces in question. I have included pictures of the signs which clearly shows three different terms of parking, one of which states !!!8216;These 3 bays are reserved for staff and visitors of ______!!!8217; without mention of any permits required. Next to this, the Vehicle Control Services sign has very small print and as such, the terms are not clearly visible; the picture I have submitted with this statement shows the small print is not readable compared to the other signs.

I can't get a witness statement as I don't work for the company anymore. It was like pulling teeth trying to get the contract for the parking spaces initially and the landlords go through a letting agency who were very unhelpful when I called up as well. I still have quite a bit of evidence and (with all of your help) I'm hoping I have a compelling argument to take to court.

Thanks again for all of your help so far, I really appreciate you all taking the time
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 6th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    How did this go?
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,954Posts Today

8,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin