Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Eve2928
    • By Eve2928 6th Aug 17, 5:34 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 29Thanks
    Can boyfriends ex take money from my wage as child matinence?
    • #1
    • 6th Aug 17, 5:34 PM
    Can boyfriends ex take money from my wage as child matinence? 6th Aug 17 at 5:34 PM

    I'm really confused at the moment. Boyfriend currently works, but is getting made redundant.

    He will be able to claim contributions based job seekers for 6 months, by then our baby will have been born and he is becoming a stay at home dad.

    I work in a school as a teaching assistant, very low wage, don't even come out with 1000 a month. He is going to look for part time work, but finding one around my hours is going to prove difficult when we have stepson every weekend and his ex won't change that! So if he worked weekends, we wouldn't see stepson. That's another issue altogether.

    Anyways, stepsons mum has said I will have to pay child matience out of my wage. I said no way! I have no legal duty towards stepson. And if the government say boyfriend is only entitled to 6 months benefits, he's going to have no wage.

    I only get 6 weeks at 90% pay, we struggle enough so I can't take anymore maternity and I will be retuning to work after these 6 weeks. Boyfriend will be looking after baby. He can't claim income support because I work too many hours.

    Anyways, legally, can the child matience count my wage and will I be made to pay for stepson out of my wage??

    i have no legal duty towards stepson, how could they possibly take my wage?

    Apparently stepsons mum has looked into this and it's possible. Not sure if she's just saying that to make me pay, but it doesn't seem right to me..

Page 4
    • moomoomama27
    • By moomoomama27 27th Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 7,865 Thanks
    Firstly no your wages cannot be touched, but any income coming into the household in the form of CTC can be used as income, and as you are on roughly 11000 pa I would imagine you would be entitled to a fair bit on WTC and CTC.

    I understand you don't want to give up your job, but a school job is very flexible, leaving evenings (well 5pm onwards) and weekends open for your partner to work. Shift work such as caring, shop work or factory work, dependent on where you live can fit in well - that way your partner can still be a SAHP for your child together and provide a level of financial contribution to his first child and your family.
    • Makalu
    • By Makalu 29th Nov 17, 1:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Hi there, I have read your question and had a very brief browse of the responses so I apologise in advance if I am repeating anything. I live with my partner and have a stepson. My partner paid child maintainance until he was made redundant. I have a well paid job but I wasn't legally expected to pay my step sons mother, however I did make a regular monthly payment to her as a gesture until he found a job. If I couldn't have afforded it I wouldn't have been made to. (to answer your question) I also paid school dinners but she didn't receive as much as before until he was employed again so don't worry too much about it. Hope this helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,113Posts Today

6,588Users online

Martin's Twitter