Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,133Posts
    • 44,219Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 24
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Enjoy the lovely weather and have lots of fun. I hope DD is feeling better soon.
    Christmas Fund is all gone lol.
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 1st Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hi carolbee, did you see us waving as we went past a roundabout leading to your town???

We did indeed go to the Old Town this morning and I had a lovely coffee at the cupcake shop, where we also bought 2 scrumptious cupcakes for our picnic lunch later on.

We also meandered around the Turner gallery and went back to Broadstairs to try the other gelato place....verdict, Morelli's is superior!

It's lovely to be home, but I'd like to go back to the Kent coast again someday.....
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 1st Aug 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    carolbee
    Hi carolbee, did you see us waving as we went past a roundabout leading to your town???

We did indeed go to the Old Town this morning and I had a lovely coffee at the cupcake shop, where we also bought 2 scrumptious cupcakes for our picnic lunch later on.

We also meandered around the Turner gallery and went back to Broadstairs to try the other gelato place....verdict, Morelli's is superior!

It's lovely to be home, but I'd like to go back to the Kent coast again someday.....
    Originally posted by Kittikins
    I just saw you out of the corner of my eye! Glad you enjoyed our little corner of Kent, let me know if you come back, Iíll meet you for coffee and take you to our allotment, now if that doesnít entice you back .....
    Carolbee
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    It's a date! Love an allotment, even if I'm the laziest person alive and KW does it all He LOVES gardening, tidying, being busy....talk about opposites attract eh?!?

The house is lovely and tidy as KW has been a-organising whilst we've been away. There's still my teaching tat to go through and I've got plenty of work to be done, but the house is looking amazing.

Today I'm off to get the air con re-gassed, take more stuff to a charity shop and hopefully continue sorting out my school bits and pieces.

DD's got physio this afternoon and we're planning on going out to see an outdoor play tonight, but generally it's going to be a chilling out kind of day. Perfick!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in tins each day
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The play was fantastic, all about Sylvia Pankhurst. We're hoping to go and see their other production on Wednesday evening, at another pub further into deepest, darkest (well, hopefully sunniest!) Oxfordshire on Wednesday

DD and I tackled the boxes of my teaching stuff upstairs yesterday...it's looking better(ish) and I know where a lot more stuff is now, which is a relief! I need to finish it off.

KW and I went into a carpet shop to get a rough idea to re-carpet the stairs upstairs rooms. Gulp. We now have a new savings target!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Aug 18, 8:26 AM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on the great play. Yikes to cost of the carpet. Just think though you wont have to change it for ages. Well done on the tidying of your work too. I am falling behind in my work as I will be visiting many friends this week. I hope I can do some work in the evenings.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 05-08-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yes, I've got a busy week too with evenings out, but am multi-tasking right now by watching Agents of Shield and doing a bit of work!

Need to go and buy some raisins and eggs for cake making We're going to KW's parents for dinner tomorrow and taking cakies!
    Last edited by Kittikins; 06-08-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    We went to see a very British film last night, tickets bought ages ago so "free"

KW and I cooked a scrumptious curry and rice in our multi cooker nomnom. He was a bit bamboozled by my "chuck it in" approach to cooking, I didn't weigh anything...!!!8230;.but it all turned out delicious, phew!

I've now got keys to the new school and an ancient laptop to work on (think I'll stick with mine mostly but the school one has a programme that I don't have so will be useful from time to time). DD and I were very proud of ourselves, as we backed a board in my classroom! Never done that before....

DD's still snoozing and I've been procrastinating for England! Planning on taking DD to Cirencester tomorrow, as we've never been and it's only 50 miles away. KW's working and I feel like I've not done much with DD recently (OK, so I took her for our girls' trip last week, but....) It looks like a really nice place, so I'll get a huge picnic ready to help us save on buying snacks like we often do!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope the film was good. Yum to the curry. It's great that you have visited the school and feel comfortable there. Have fun in Cirencester.

It's rained here all day I hope it is ok by you.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hmmmmm, DD doesn't want to go out Never mind, I can get back to looking for some missing school stuff I guess! (And save the money I would have spent on the trip....)
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Right! I've had a couple of NSDs recently, yay, and my credit card is at £0 My bank balances are looking a little low, but then I guess that's to be expected now I'm a grown up again!

I need to keep myself on track with all the jobs I have to do so am going to do myself a boring list on here, in the hope that it'll spur me on and make me feel "accountable". As DD has turned into a teenage slug, I need to get her to help with all of this, as otherwise I'm going to start being a resentful mummykins!!!8230;..

* wash DD's bedding when she finally brings it down for me!
    * finish marking assessment stuff for old school and take it in
    * email old boss (shudder) or business manager (hmm, might be easier), and tell her I'm not taking the fish after all - the logistics are too much for me, and psychologically I might feel a continued link with somewhere I ended up being so unhappy
    * email my counsellor to rebook my appointment
    * clean kitchen
    *clean downstairs bathroom

* clean bathroom - let's see if DD has done this for me yet!
    *hoover downstairs
    * wash kitchen floor
    * continue laminating
    * cut up laminating
    * organise laminating to take to school! (a bigger job than it sounds)
    * dust sitting room
    * book tickets to Vindolanda
    * check with friends what food/booze they're taking on long weekend
    * take books back to library
    * work on MTP for Term 1
    * work on MTP for term 2
    * finish putting class folder together for T1/2
    * start planning English for T1
    * collate school visit info for Egyptian topic
    * find alternative ideas for adventure topic trip and send to Head/office - in progress

This seems to be helping, having a list! I've already done a few things on it...
    Last edited by Kittikins; 14-08-2018 at 2:32 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We are going back next week and I've hardly prepped at all. Well done you in being so organised. They want you to look after a fish!!!!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yes, it's a tank of the little beggars....I was the teacher in charge of a fishkeeping project during the year, and one of the TAs "kindly" asked the evil head if I could take them to my new school....without me knowing, I was quite happy for them to stay with the evil one, and take out a new project this year!

Anyway, it's all a bit much for me, I'm putting off going back into the school to give back the keys, but must do that soon (and finish off the sodding test marking that someone else should have done!)

wash DD's bedding when she finally brings it down for me!
    * email old boss (shudder) or business manager (hmm, might be easier), and tell her I'm not taking the fish after all - the logistics are too much for me, and psychologically I might feel a continued link with somewhere I ended up being so unhappy
    * email my counsellor to rebook my appointment
    * clean kitchen
    *clean downstairs bathroom

* clean bathroom - let's see if DD has done this for me yet!
    *hoover downstairs
    * wash kitchen floor
    * continue laminating
    * cut up laminating
    * organise laminating to take to school! (a bigger job than it sounds)

* dust sitting room
    * book tickets to Vindolanda
    * work on MTP for Term 1
    * work on MTP for term 2
    * find alternative ideas for adventure topic trip and send to Head/office - in progress
    Last edited by Kittikins; 15-08-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    A lovely day with a slightly stressful start, due to a flat tyre when I needed to get DD to a hospital appointment for a scan!! Thankfully, we called my daddykins, who leapt into action and drove us there, waited and brought us back, whilst KW got the tyre repaired.

Us ladies felt quite sick after the hospital - I was allowed to go into the room, having made sure I didn't have any metal on me, so I could sit outside the tube and blow kisses to DD whilst she was scanned. DD, poor thing, also has had a headache all day.

Once we felt a bit better, we went to a wolf sanctuary and had a really lovely time with KW and saw a lovely former colleague and her 2 children. We felt very lucky to be so close to such beautiful creatures.

A trip to Ikea followed (well, it would have been rude not to as we were not far away!) and we had a good look at desks, bookcases and storage for all my teaching stuff and KW's mahoosive book collection. Looks like we'll be getting it ordered soonish (I want to wait for next pay day as I'm feeling a tad brassic)
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Aug 18, 12:58 AM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I do hope your DD is feeling better. The shelving and furniture is an investment and a one off. Although it's scary now it will be worth it. It was good of your father to do the drive hope car is ok now.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Fingers crossed the tyre is fine, I think it must have just been slowly deflating and I hadn't noticed (as I'm a lazy beggar and don't keep a close eye on things, just jump in and drive)

Today, I want to print a few things out then drag DD to school with me to carry on with the great classroom set up. If I can't do either, then I'll drag KW with me next week and do some planning instead today whilst watching the rain fall steadily outside

I'm hoping today will be a NSD, as going away oop North for the weekend is going to be expensive, but worth it!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    To do list
    *hoover downstairs
    * dust sitting room
    * work on MTP for Term 1 - in progress....
    * work on MTP for term 2
    Today's to do:

* make a caramelised onion tart (KW and I will take it as picnic food tomorrow on our journey ) - onions done, pastry in fridge
    * call washing machine chap to make appointment - today?
    * call locksmith to get him to come out and look at door again - it's "crunchy" when you lock it, which was what it did last time, so the replacement part may not be in the right place or something
    * sort out printer, maybe reinstall it? - grrr, it seems as though the ink has failed (KW has a monthly subscription) even though it's a brand new cartridge. So no printing at all
    * print out last things for classroom walls
    * print out Vindolanda tickets
    * call union rep about getting a conference place at 12:30 (a free trip to Liverpool during Easter holidays, woohoo!)
    - hmmm, due to change of county worked in, I can't go with one 'shire, but may get a place with the other 'shire, my home and soon to be work one! Fingers crossed...
    * pack for our trip!
    * take library books back (grrr) - must drop them off on the way tomorrow
    *reserve 8 week blood sugar diet book at library, looks interesting, and as an obese carb-loving daughter of a Type I diabetic, might be perfect for me!
    * wash towels
    Last edited by Kittikins; 16-08-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3,407 Posts
    • 19,050 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on being organised, your lists seem to be helping. I may have to give that a try as I haven't got much done this week and I am back at work next week !
    Balance 0% credit card to pay £1360 £1310 £1210 £1160 £1110 £1060 £998
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oooh, you poor thing, back next week?!?
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 47,130 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    And me. Booooohooooooooo!

Your list is looking good. Enjoy the rest of the day. Our weather is going to improve tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,889Posts Today

7,917Users online

Martin's Twitter