Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,122Posts
    • 44,200Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 18
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    KW and I had a lovely morning - we went to a bed shop and tried mattresses, mooched around some other shops and ended up paying 15.30 on a clock for the kitchen that we both fell in love with

I love that we have such similar tastes, and that the clock was reduced from 32!

Lunch was rather scrummy but quite pricy, good job DD and I had bought bread and cheese yesterday for a picnic. Need to start getting ready for my night out - eeek! All this gadding about is so unusual to me these days!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Shopping for the house is great. I love it.

Have a fab night out.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Apr 18, 12:35 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Just got back, it was really fun; she had gone really all out to make sure we had a great evening. Lovely group of people, some of whom I knew a little, some were new to me; delicious home-made (vegan for me and another lady) curries and ended up playing Cards Against Humanity!!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    No spending and no petrol today It's gone really quickly, not sure how....especially as I wasn't hungover, due to driving last night (and didn't have my now-traditional nap after waking up, lol)

I've finally written my resignation letter, just need to print it and hand it over to the witch in the morning.....bleugh.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Apr 18, 1:11 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done. You are almost witch free and also in your new home. Hope the first day back was ok.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks SW, it was an Inset day, well more of a morning, then we got stuff done in our classrooms, so apart from a brief chat about something dull, and me handing over my notice (finally!), I managed to avoid having to have too much to do with her
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Apr 18, 4:35 AM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 19,005 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hey Kittikins well done on handing in your notice. I have been lurking and reading of your new home and job progress and cheering you on in the background ! Really well done on turning your life around I wish you, KW and DD every happiness, you deserve it !! X
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Apr 18, 5:49 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you Skinty xx I'm not out of the woods yet, but am definitely on the path
    • ethanscott
    • By ethanscott 17th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ethanscott
    That is nice
    These small things are we can actually save. By avoiding things that are uneccessary like the necklace that you talked about.
    I hope you do achieve what you are aiming for.
    • ethanscott
    • By ethanscott 17th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ethanscott
    I know, it feels amazing
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 19th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well.....a lot has happened since I last updated: my mummykins has had a fall and broken her leg (we're awaiting her return from hospital imminently)

I had a mental health appointment today, which was good, until the counsellor said that the follow ups will all be done by phone I HATE using the phone, I rarely talk to KW, always WhatsApp him, and avoid taking phone calls as much as humanly possible. Going to have to just pull myself together though, as I want to feel happier.

Sodding head has pigged me off with her lack of communication skills yet again, meaning I had to spend an hour of my PPA today sorting out messes that she should have put things in place for, which involved my children. I've sent her an email politely if slightly tersely pointing out the mess that has been caused. Wonder if she'll bother (a) replying or (b) apologising! I'll try to not hold my breath.....

In better news, though, apart from buying wine (for me) and flowers (for my mummykins) and putting petrol in the car, I haven't spent anything recently.

I thought I was feeling like I only had 130 to last me to the end of the month, but I remembered this morning that I put 500 into savings on payday, so I'm actually pretty loaded! Trying to not worry about how much more expensive life will be once KW, DD and I are ensconced in our little house! I WILL be able to do it (somehow!)
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm sorry about your mum. I hope she makes a good recovery.

Well done on having the appointment. I hope the phone calls help maybe you can ask for physical appointments? is it worth trying?

Well done on having so much till payday. You have much more than me. I'm living off my credit card. lol. Enjoy the wine. It's nearly Friday. Hurrah.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Mummykins is home and bed-bound She'll find out on Thursday if she needs an operation, fingers crossed no!!!

I'm on cooking duty (yay ) and caring duties. Today, we took bottles to the recycling *hic*, did dusting and I have cooked some blimming lovely meals, even if I say so myself! Have been acquainting myself with mummykins' Instant Pot, it's fab - cooked black eyed beans from scratch in 25 minutes pressure cooking Nomnomnom.....

Had an abortive trip to a netball match with DD - her shoulders are now the latest part of her body to be causing her pain, so we had to leave without her being able to play. I need to try and call the doctor's surgery tomorrow morning before the children come into class to see if I can get her in to see someone soon.

Ordered a few more bits for the house and am now finishing off planning for the week.

60p into the pot - have been putting quite a bit in there, can't wait to open it!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 19,005 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    KK glad to hear your mummykins is well enough to recover at home, I hope she doesn't need an op. Don't let the doc fob you off with "growing pains" for DD and there must be a face to face alternative counsellor for phone phobia sufferers surely !
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope that work was ok and that you, dear daughter and your mum are feeling well.

Just keep counting the seconds till the next holiday as I am.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 23rd Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    What a day! A no spend day at least....

Mummykins is in a lot more pain so I fear that the op will need to happen.
    DD is possibly turning her stress and worry over her granny into headaches and feeling like none of her friends like her any more

School was great However, early this evening I got a horrible muscle spasm in my back and was tucked up in bed before 7pm! Nearly time for another painkiller, but I'm sure by the morning I'll be bouncing around!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sounds like all this stress is affecting you. I hope your mum get's better soon and dear daughter realises that her friends like her. Is there a nice friend she can meet and go to the cinema with this weekend to take her mind off things?

I hope it get's better.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 24th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Today was a better day, mainly, for DD. I emailed her head of year, who had already had a little chat with her about Grandmakins' injury and was also keeping an eye on her (her head of year is AWESOME, just like last year's) and saw her at pickup.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 47,065 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good hopefully this will ease some of the pressure on you. It is nearly Friday and payday is v soon. Roll on the weekend.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 25th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I'm so glad your daughter has her head of year looking out for her. It's so easy to vanish amoungst the other kids in school I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for your mum. What operation is it they'll be looking at doing? A hip replacement? My dad needed one (though his was elective rather than due to a fall) and it's made a world of difference to his life so hopefully it will for your mum too!

And mega congratulations on handing in your notice! You'll make the extra cost of living in your new place work, and if you're anything like my husband and I you'll quickly get used to it. In fact, we got so used to it that despite Friday being my third payday since starting my job, it still feels like we've won the lottery having TWO salaries hitting the current account each month! I'm sure in time it'll get less exciting, but it is so nice being able to finally put money back into savings rather than taking it out each month.
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE
    Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18) | 16.9% (1st Sep '18)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,343Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter