Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,991Posts
    • 43,996Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 17
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    We can highly recommend the BBC studio tour in Bristol - had a really interesting time, and as there were only 5 of us on the tour, we were taken into places that they don't usually visit.

Followed it with a visit to Ikea for cinnamon buns and dinner
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings 52,000
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Back home and counting down the days...KW informs me it's 84 til we move!

Have decided to clear one (!) of my wardrobes - I know, I'm a very pampered kitty, so that I can start packing and storing boxes in and in front of it. I've been shamed by KW's amazing efforts at packing so far!

Just found 2 mobiles that once I've charged them up to take off any photos or whatever, will sell - netting me a nice 10 (total, but better than them sitting in an old shoe box!)
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Nothing wrong with clothes my friend. I have so many too. I have given so many away but still have sooo many. It's a female thing. and I love them.

Well done on finding the mobiles and welcome back. Only 84 days. Great.
    Chiistmas Fund 80 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 7th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I did a major clearout of clothes a couple of weekends ago and took three large bin bags of them, plus a box of books to a charity shop. That was only my wardrobe (didn't even open my drawers), and I can barely see the difference when I look at it!!! Lol, the only difference I can tell is that now all the clothes seem to be the same colour (turns out I wear a LOT of greens and blues!)

Kitti, do you recommend Black Panther? I keep hearing about it, meaning to see it and then promptly forgetting about it again, d'oh! And at least you have thoughts of the new house, and your lovely class, to get you through to the summer holidays!
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018
    Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr)

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yes, DD and I really enjoyed it - it was a good, fun film (I'm not hugely into superhero films) and, at last, lots of strong female characters, which impressed us both

I would recommend it for sure! Definitely better than the superhero trash I saw with Benedict Cumberbatch a year or so back....

2 bin liners of clothes and 4 big bags of books out of the house. It's still at the looking worse before it'll look better stage, but it's less for me to clutter up the new house with
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 7th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    The whole "it looks a million times worse than it did before I started" is usually what stops me from even making an attempt. I swear, when people say they have a lazy bone - I think I have a lazy skeleton

You'll be grateful when it comes to packing though. I was really hoping that clearing out my clothes would make it quicker and easier to choose what to wear in the mornings but sadly that doesn't seem to have worked out!! Are you going to try selling them? I considered it, as it seems the logical thing to do as an MSE-er but I just knew if I kept them around, they'd hang around forever and probably wind up back in my wardrobe......
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018
    Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr)

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Nah, most of the clothes were quite 'loved' so they've gone, I don't think people would want to buy them, and I remember selling things a few years ago before we moved up here, and people were so picky! I'd put a very honest description, complete with size and I'd get emails asking how wide the hips were (see the sodding original company's website for their sizing?!?) or how much above the knee skirts went etc.

I've now done a box of kitchen stuff Need to put it in my now empty wardrobe - haven't dared look at the other wardrobe....but know it must be tackled as I won't have as much space at the house for all my tat!!

Nearly 83 days to go
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in decluttering. It is so satisfying and v tangible you see the benefits straight away. Blooming hard work though. I hope you all had a good day.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    My room still looks like a bomb's hit it! Still haven't found my missing tablet....but have packed one more box - so I'm now at 2 boxes, one suitcase and one soft bag with some of DD's baby and toddler clothes that I can't bring myself to part with. Might have to find someone to make a quilt out of bits of them, as a lot are 'well-loved'

Quite a boring day really! I had a massive lie-in, after not being able to sleep well in the night, so only got up at lunchtime!!

Will be getting up early tomorrow, as I'm taking my car to a garage for 8am (in the hope that they'll work on the headlights sooner for me), and am going to take my laptop and sit in a caf! somewhere.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    On the plus side, today has been a NSD and a NPD! Tomorrow's car repairs are budgeted for, so not really a spend - I put 100 to 150 aside each month for repairs, tax, insurance, MOT, and KW has given me 50 towards the headlights as my birthday present - yup, he's the perfect man, knows I'd appreciate something practical more than going out for a meal or whatever

Bit like when he planted flowers that started to grow by Valentine's Day as I prefer real plants to cut flowers *swoon*
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Morning, good luck with the car. Flowers that grow are better than cut flowers you are right.

What's a NPD? a no pay day?
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    No petrol day

Have annoyed my saintly father by paying to have the headlamps scrubbed when apparently he told me it was easy to do it myself with some fluid he has in the garage.....grrrr. The headlamps were absolutely awful but are now like new, which I KNOW I wouldn't have been able to do myself! He always has to be right.......
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It's ok you know for next time. Just over two months left Kittykins. You are nearly there.

I did some marking. Am currently roasting a chicken and waiting for it.......
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    DD and I popped over to my new school to FINALLY drop off the paperwork, then to my current school to pick up some marking (bleugh), before going for a swim

Found 2p on the floor, yay, and have put 70p into the sealed pot today. KW has found some more books that might be worth a few pennies in his cupboard of dooooooom. Here's hoping!

Actually, I'm hoping more that my car gets through the MoT tomorrow morning without needing any work.

I'm going to take a book to read whilst it's being sorted - read a whole book this morning whilst sitting in the Waitrose caf! (I read at kind of super-human speed when I'm interested in what I'm reading, so a novel takes about 90 minutes )
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Phew! My car passed it's MoT this morning, with no advisories Only cost 29.99, which is lovely, as I know it can be around 50!

Turns out my car aerial just needed to be unscrewed - picking up a new stick bit tomorrow, 22, much better than 50-60 that I originally thought. Might be a birthday present from my parents, but they have a habit of saying they'll reimburse me and never getting round to it...

Filled the car up as it was running on fumes, nearly 50 Also sort out car tax, which has gone up 10 on last year. Glad I put money aside each month for these things.

Paid off my credit card as per statement - but will have about 350 on it already for next month! (Am putting everything on card, to try and earn more Tesco points, every little helps and all that ).

Just discovered that my car insurance isn't due until mid-May, so that's a relief, gives me time to find a hopefully much cheaper policy than just auto-renewing, like I've shamefully done for the past couple of years....
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on the MOT.

Yikes to credit card bill. It'll be good for points though.

Well done on not renewing insurance. Shop around. You save loads.

Have a good day tomorrow.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I had a look at my credit card statement online and quite a bit of the money I've spent recently has been on bits for the house, so I don't feel too bad now.

On my way back from dropping KW at work before coming home, I stopped off in Sainsbury's and discovered they had A5 nice notebooks for a bargainous 12p each. So, I bought 30....to give to children with a cotton bag and (as yet unbought) a pen or pencil. I'll pop a nice sticker on, saying how lovely it might be to fill this book with their hopes, wishes and dreams, stories and the like

At 12p each, I just couldn't leave them in the shop. However, I resisted the temptation to put a couple of extras in my trolley, as I do have more notebooks than brain cells!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Am going to take a flame-thrower to my room I think, I just can't get motivated to sort it, but am really fed up with how messy it is

11 weeks and 1 day!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Do one small job at a time. Give yourself 5 mins of work and half hour break ie watch some telly after a task. This is the system I use.

Be ruthless.

Good luck it is hard work but so worth it.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Apr 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 43,996 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I like the sound of 5 minutes work Wonder if I can apply it to teaching Bet the children would enjoy it too!

I managed to get another small bag of clothes together for the charity shop and a couple of books that have been on my to read pile for ages, so I reckon I'm never actually going to read them.

Taking DD out today to go and lie on beds in John Lewis, to see what we fancy sleeping on for the foreseeable future! We're going to have a magical mystery tour, just head the car in the vague direction of the shop, but stop off if we see interesting places along the way.

Did my finances and have 103 left for the month - well, will do once sodding ex pays his maintenance, whenever his lordship deigns to do so. *breathe *

Over to KW's tonight, yay, and then got an expensive day tomorrow - lunch with a friend I've not seen in ages, 'shopping' and then need to get a present to take to a murder mystery dinner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin