Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,015Posts
    • 44,023Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 15
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 24th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you lovely

Going to put 2 in the tin as DD's hurt herself again playing sport and so won't be going to her netball match but that I save money on the 30 mile round trip to the match and 2 match fees.....

However, I did buy vino, a mother's day card, some yummy stuff (all YS ) and filled the car up with petrol before the fumes ran out, so am still a fortune down!

KW is now getting very excited about moving - in 3 months' time, but we know it'll fly by. I've brought back 2 huge bags of books I'm going to try and sell for him, and once I can muster the energy, am going to have another trawl through the mess of my life's belongings.
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings 52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Happy trawling! It is gorgeous outside - well it looks bright but it's flipping freezing so I am not even venturing outside to put my recycling away. lol.

Have a good day.
    Chiistmas Fund 80 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 25th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Managed to scrape together 12.22 selling some more of our books and CDs and going to refer KW to another site and we'll both get 5 when he sells a few more through them

Went to a lovely church this morning, great songs and very friendly people. Hoping to go back again soon, DD netball matches dependent.
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on sales and on finding the new church.

Good luck tomorrow.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 26th Feb 18, 11:03 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    School was good today, the children are just so awesome DD is happy

NSD - yippee!!
    We are moments away from exchanging on the house....solicitors and estate agent sent lots of emails, and we're just waiting on one thing from the other side - hoorah!!
    Another job has come up - at a school very local to where we're moving
    I've applied for a job at a school I visited a while back
    My scary meeting is going to be rescheduled because......

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW at a lovely school!!!
    Rather excited, and happily nervous rather than stressed, lol. Makes a change!
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 27th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    atrixa
    My scary meeting is going to be rescheduled because......

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW at a lovely school!!!
    Rather excited, and happily nervous rather than stressed, lol. Makes a change!
    Originally posted by Kittikins
    Well done!!! Best of luck
    I work in Pensions and I'm currently saving for my first house deposit
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurray this is fabulous. Really well done.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 28th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you - and here's hoping for a snow day tomorrow or Friday as well!!

Although I did have a small observation today, not with the demon headteacher, but her side kick who supposedly doesn't know what's going on, and she said it was "really good" and I WILL stand up for myself when I get the inevitable chat from the DHead that there were "issues" with it....

Bit of a spendy day....bought some chocolate and crap, yay, and then have bought an ecoegg and some other eco-friendly house bits for when we move using a 25% discount code. Oh and a poster and t-shirt for DD's birthday, linked to a musical she currently LURVES!!

But, I did 'save' 8.60 when I picked up my prescription, as although I have 2 items, they're both the same, just different strengths, which I didn't realise meant it counts as one prescription. Yay!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Mar 18, 5:30 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Snow day! Have done very little

I'm a bit annoyed (ok, quite annoyed), as our exchange is going to happen soon.....but completion has been pushed back a month, to the end of June!! When I queried this, the reply from the other side's solicitor, was that it had always been the end of June....errr, not my or KW's recollection, as the plan was to move in during the May school bank holiday! Anyway, there's naff all we can do, so we'll suck it up! Give us more time to save, plan, whatever I guess.

I've planned my lesson for Monday's interview, it's only 15 minutes long, so hoping I've pitched it right...
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'm ready for the day tomorrow and have had a lovely day with KW, who came over to the town we're moving to so we could try out the church I went to last week.

It was a bit "modern" for him, so in a fortnight, we're trying the CofE one in the town centre - and we've found the linked church by the river we would hypothetically want to get married in as and when he formally asks me!! *swoon *

We went for a veggie roast lunch and a good mooch around the town. KW is getting even more excited about moving there, as there's so much to see, and it's a chilled out place to be. Yay!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 5th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    WE'VE EXCHANGED!!!!!!

(And, I'm hoping to find out about the job I interviewed for (really liked the school) tomorrow morning.....)

However, I'm just squealing with excitement that after all this time, the house is OURS, bar the shouting lol.
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 6th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    WE'VE EXCHANGED!!!!!!

(And, I'm hoping to find out about the job I interviewed for (really liked the school) tomorrow morning.....)

However, I'm just squealing with excitement that after all this time, the house is OURS, bar the shouting lol.
    Originally posted by Kittikins
    Congratlations!
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Mar 18, 6:42 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks RL, I'm counting down the days (and wondering how I'll manage to PROPERLY get rid of tat - I'm such a hoarder!!)

I didn't get the job I went for on Monday but I have an interview at the Junior School where DD goes to next Monday!

The demon head has called off the hounds for a while and so I have until 31st May to find another job as I'm sure she'll reset the HR meeting if I don't resign by then....It proves that she just wants rid of me, but hey ho, I want rid of her too....
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck for next week. At least you are applying. You've done all you can. Try to have a nice weekend away from all the rubbish at work.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks SW - I'm quite excited now, I have another interview on Wednesday But would LOVE to get the job at DD's school, so keeping my fingers more tightly crossed for that one!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I don't think today went well......but I know I'm my harshest critic, so who knows?!?

I won't find out until tomorrow night or Wednesday as they have other candidates coming in tomorrow. Eeeek....

Trying (and failing) to not over-analyse everything I said or did!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fingers crossed. Take it easy tonight.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I didn't get the job at DD's school Not hugely surprised, but still disappointed.

I think I may not have got the job at the other school either - I missed a call from the Head earlier this evening, the message said she'd call me back sometime tomorrow, which doesn't sound promising.

Sob.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 13,288 Posts
    • 46,808 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am keeping fingers crossed. please try to rest now as you did all you could. Keep applying and think of the summer.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 44,023 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'm feeling really despondent, which I know is daft as I've only been on 3 interviews, but of course I'm "expensive" now on M4 and all the shiny NQTs are hunting down jobs as well.

Fingers are still crossed that the Head didn't mean to sound so off-hand when I missed her call, and that she'll have good news for me.

In the meantime, I need to wrap DD's presents as it's her big 13th birthday tomorrow!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin