Life's a climb. But the view is great.

Comments

• Hi Narola76,
    Thanks for your kind comment on my diary! It makes a difference and keeps me going on the journey. I’ve been reading yours and now I’ve subscribed. I totally relate to your comment about being impatient for pay day. Once you have done all the budgetting etc it can feel like a waiting game! Last month I joined the take your lunch to work challenge over on the Challenge board. I find I need some way to keep the daily focus. You are doing great with the regular posting, I think that is the key. Look forward to cheering you when the loan is gone! :beer:
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • I will pop back on in a while to respond....but I just need to say how furious I am with my OH...I was planning to touch up in this lovely weather the kitchen cupboard paint as it has chipped badly in places...only to find he sold the paint!:mad:

Now I will have to replace the paint at £25! This has not been planned for in the budget....I just want to scream!
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • Narola1976 wrote: »
    I will pop back on in a while to respond....but I just need to say how furious I am with my OH...I was planning to touch up in this lovely weather the kitchen cupboard paint as it has chipped badly in places...only to find he sold the paint!:mad:

Now I will have to replace the paint at £25! This has not been planned for in the budget....I just want to scream!

You are soooo close to getting your loan paid now. How about, you just set aside a bit and save for the paint. So you can keep within your plan then and just think of that little dance you will do, when it's paid off.......it's annoying I know. Hope you're OK.
    Aim to be debt free....
    Snowballing since August 2017
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • Narola1976
    Narola1976 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks Lancashirelass and Glass Hall Full for your replies....I have tried to multi quote but don't know how to do it properly....maybe there is a maximum amount of post you can quote...

Anyway, just a update, I have added the paint to next month's budget, although the budget is not quite finalised. I would be happy to save up for it over the next couple of months...I suppose my only worry is if the colour is discontinued, we originally bought the paint last summer. So will see whether I buy it next month or not.

OH is a make do and mend kind of guy, as a consequence though, my house looks like a patch work quilt, he will take whatever he can find regardless of the final cosmetic effect . It drives me bonkers but since we have no money I just have to accept it. The house needs so much work and I don't just mean cosmetically.

So its been very quiet on the financial front, just 2 more sleeps to pay day and then the fun can begin. Looking forward to it.

Its been a quiet weekend too, stayed home thus ensuring I don't spend any money I don't have. On the survey front I have been doing really well especially with PA. Within the space of a week, I am up to £9! Most survey sites take forever to build a balance because half the time they screen you out, but with PA it looks like they only offer you a survey when you are eligible. My only worry is someone said that when they made a withdrawal they did not get much survey's after that. Oh well its a risk I will have to take. So will cash in £10 as soon as possible. You can cash in from a £5 but I though I would wait. I have decided that where I get cash from a survey I will add to the debt payments, but where I get a voucher I will get a supermarket one and use that towards groceries. The budget for groceries is very small at the moment, probably too small £70 for the month! But we have plenty of veg in the freezer, and loads of chicken and a good few pork chops so we are not doing too bad. Its more the perishables we need to get like salad, milk, fruit and bread.

Right that's it for now, nothing more to say really, back to work today, but already looking forward to my week off at half term.

• Narola1976
    Morning! Absolutely nothing to say but really want to post LOL. I just want to keep as much of a presence here as possible - the last time I had a diary it fizzled out and I believe that contributed to me going back to my old ways and significantly increasing the debt.

Reading the posts of others on this forum really helps you to think as I realise that while it is not relevant for me now, it will become so at some point. For example, there was a post from a someone re university maintenance fees and how because of their income the son was not going to get the full amount leaving a large sum they have to come up with. And I realised, in 3 years that will be me if I don't get myself sorted. I earn a lot on paper and so there is every chance we are going to have to find the rest of the money and with this debt that would be a problem.

DD is entering her GCSE year and then 2 years of A levels, which gives me 3 years to get my fiances into a better shape. I may not be fully debt free but near as... if all goes to plan. So this is another reason to stay focused.

Enough of my rambling, tomorrow is pay day, so will hopefully have more to report.

• Hi there,
    You are so right about the regular posting. It's so easy to go off track, I've done it even in a few days!
    Regarding the maintenance fees, our son is going to Uni in a couple of weeks. The maintenance loan is means tested and he has been able to borrow £3,900 per annum. But the living costs in most UK University towns/cities is estimated at £9,000 so there is a big shortfall. The Government (of all types) have brought this in a bit stealthily, so now someone (parents, grandparents, the student themselves) has to find this from somewhere. As you say, its good to have some time to plan for this
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
    Thanks Lancashirelass and Glass Hall Full for your replies....I have tried to multi quote but don't know how to do it properly....maybe there is a maximum amount of post you can quote...

Anyway, just a update, I have added the paint to next month's budget, although the budget is not quite finalised. I would be happy to save up for it over the next couple of months...I suppose my only worry is if the colour is discontinued, we originally bought the paint last summer. So will see whether I buy it next month or not.

OH is a make do and mend kind of guy, as a consequence though, my house looks like a patch work quilt, he will take whatever he can find regardless of the final cosmetic effect . It drives me bonkers but since we have no money I just have to accept it. The house needs so much work and I don't just mean cosmetically.

So its been very quiet on the financial front, just 2 more sleeps to pay day and then the fun can begin. Looking forward to it.

Its been a quiet weekend too, stayed home thus ensuring I don't spend any money I don't have. On the survey front I have been doing really well especially with PA. Within the space of a week, I am up to £9! Most survey sites take forever to build a balance because half the time they screen you out, but with PA it looks like they only offer you a survey when you are eligible. My only worry is someone said that when they made a withdrawal they did not get much survey's after that. Oh well its a risk I will have to take. So will cash in £10 as soon as possible. You can cash in from a £5 but I though I would wait. I have decided that where I get cash from a survey I will add to the debt payments, but where I get a voucher I will get a supermarket one and use that towards groceries. The budget for groceries is very small at the moment, probably too small £70 for the month! But we have plenty of veg in the freezer, and loads of chicken and a good few pork chops so we are not doing too bad. Its more the perishables we need to get like salad, milk, fruit and bread.

Right that's it for now, nothing more to say really, back to work today, but already looking forward to my week off at half term.

HI there
    sorry for late reply, I have been really busy as my daughter is getting ready for her first year in secondary....which is a bit weird for me at the moment seeing my little girl going to 'big' school...

I dont know about your house, but it sounds just like mine, but I am using this time of debt paying now for plans.
    I will just share with you, that my kitchen is very very old, I bought the house 10 years ago off an old lady, and its still her old kitchen, which for some, would love it, and its about 30 years old, it is brown, it is very dated and its awful - I am not bothered though, it is clean and it serves its purpose right now. I never got around to doing it because I had plans of getting an extension, because its small at the moment.
    The house had very old everything really, so have had to go around it room by room and bring it to this century standard, honestly it was so bad....my dad is a builder and we had some plans together to get things done, and sadly, this didn't get finished as he is now terminally ill.
    The extension is now not happening, my dads illness has brought my life and what is important into perspective and now, I am just creating mood boards via pinterest and looking at what will work and now have a cad drawing of my new kitchen at its current size and its quite nice. This is pinned on my fridge and its my dream and my next project after the debt is paid off!
    This will not happen until I can pay for this in cash only and if I can live with it for this long, then I can do it for another because I want my debts paid off.
    The painting of the doors is a brilliant idea, and one I have actually thought about doing from the very old brown to maybe a lovely cream colour, but one day I might do that. I am just trying to say, that one day, you will get what you want and will appreciate it so much that you have worked so hard for it.

Your goal is very clear on your threads of you being debt free, and you really are working very hard for this goal to be achieved, you are doing really well actually.
    It really inspires me on here, at how honest and supportive the site is, I have never, until now, been strong enough to sort out my debts before, but now that I am doing it, I am literally wishing my life away to the next pay day and to get to my goals...do you do that?!!.... I must learn to slow down....but I am extremely impatient (hence the debts) and I want it done now, but I have got the goal set, and I am achieving it......I will one day get a new kitchen just not yet...but i might get it painted actually now that you have me thinking about it!
    I did my first snowball this month, I have never felt such happiness, like I am hitting my targets that i am setting. The one thing I am doing is my spending diary which is looking very very slim these days and I love this site too.
    In terms of your food, chicken, veg is probably the best food you can eat!! its all I eat in fact I have chicken, bacon and feta cheese today for my tea.... Its gorgeous!!
    Hope you kissed and made up with the paint argument too.......you are smashing your goals and its soon pay day and you can do that dance!!! :rotfl: x
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
    Morning! Absolutely nothing to say but really want to post LOL. I just want to keep as much of a presence here as possible - the last time I had a diary it fizzled out and I believe that contributed to me going back to my old ways and significantly increasing the debt.

Reading the posts of others on this forum really helps you to think as I realise that while it is not relevant for me now, it will become so at some point. For example, there was a post from a someone re university maintenance fees and how because of their income the son was not going to get the full amount leaving a large sum they have to come up with. And I realised, in 3 years that will be me if I don't get myself sorted. I earn a lot on paper and so there is every chance we are going to have to find the rest of the money and with this debt that would be a problem.

DD is entering her GCSE year and then 2 years of A levels, which gives me 3 years to get my fiances into a better shape. I may not be fully debt free but near as... if all goes to plan. So this is another reason to stay focused.

Enough of my rambling, tomorrow is pay day, so will hopefully have more to report.

and keep your posts up, it is obviously keeping you going!!!!! Its hard isnt it, you set goals and then get a bit deflated so keep it up - they are interesting and you might one day help someone you know with what you post....
    I have now learned how to subscribe now, so I am subscribed to your thread...I am such a tech idiot..I find it hard to see things on my phone...
    x
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • Narola1976
    edited 30 August 2017 at 6:49PM
    Hi there,
    You are so right about the regular posting. It's so easy to go off track, I've done it even in a few days!
    Regarding the maintenance fees, our son is going to Uni in a couple of weeks. The maintenance loan is means tested and he has been able to borrow £3,900 per annum. But the living costs in most UK University towns/cities is estimated at £9,000 so there is a big shortfall. The Government (of all types) have brought this in a bit stealthily, so now someone (parents, grandparents, the student themselves) has to find this from somewhere. As you say, its good to have some time to plan for this

Thanks GHF for your comment - yes its really hit home I need to plan, annoyed with myself that instead of saving I first have to get rid of debt! Oh well, at least I am doing it
    HI there
    sorry for late reply, I have been really busy as my daughter is getting ready for her first year in secondary....which is a bit weird for me at the moment seeing my little girl going to 'big' school...

Oh I know that feeling well, and the thing that really gets you is just how fast she changes and matures...really scary!

The house had very old everything really, so have had to go around it room by room and bring it to this century standard, honestly it was so bad....my dad is a builder and we had some plans together to get things done, and sadly, this didn't get finished as he is now terminally ill. The extension is now not happening, my dads illness has brought my life and what is important into perspective and now, I am just creating mood boards via pinterest and looking at what will work and now have a cad drawing of my new kitchen at its current size and its quite nice. This is pinned on my fridge and its my dream and my next project after the debt is paid off! This will not happen until I can pay for this in cash only and if I can live with it for this long, then I can do it for another because I want my debts paid off. The painting of the doors is a brilliant idea, and one I have actually thought about doing from the very old brown to maybe a lovely cream colour, but one day I might do that. I am just trying to say, that one day, you will get what you want and will appreciate it so much that you have worked so hard for it.

I get you ....my house is also very old and well we never had any money to do anything to it and it really needs help. But great ideas re mood boards. At a time like this though you also realise what is important, really hope you get to spend lots of quality time with Dad as that is what matters most

Your goal is very clear on your threads of you being debt free, and you really are working very hard for this goal to be achieved, you are doing really well actually. It really inspires me on here, at how honest and supportive the site is, I have never, until now, been strong enough to sort out my debts before, but now that I am doing it, I am literally wishing my life away to the next pay day and to get to my goals...do you do that?!!.... I must learn to slow down....but I am extremely impatient (hence the debts) and I want it done now, but I have got the goal set, and I am achieving it......I will one day get a new kitchen just not yet...but i might get it painted actually now that you have me thinking about it!

It took 12 years for us to get around to painting the cupboards...when we moved in they were a nasty petrol blue, previous owners having painted them from nasty brown. why I waited so long to paint them I will never know because actually the cost wasn't too bad - about £75 or so, excluding some decent brushes and only took a couple of days. I bought quality kitchen paint which gave off no smell and also a good undercoat. I bought gorgeous diamante knobs from the Wellesbourne market at £1.5 each and honestly the cupboards looked quite good. A new kitchen blind as we had none on for years and cheap Moroccan style battery operated lights (think fairy light style) from amazon and it was quite nice. I will recommend this a cheap option if the kitchen refit is years away and you just can't stand it any more LOL.

Yes, I am loving the site, there is just so much to learn. I agree, I keep wishing the months would go faster - I want to be debt free asap. But it didn't happen overnight (although it feels that way sometimes and it won’t go away overnight. I suppose it’s about trying to enjoy life as best we can and find our joy in friends and family and things that nurture our soul. I need to get back to doing that

I did my first snowball this month, I have never felt such happiness, like I am hitting my targets that i am setting. The one thing I am doing is my spending diary which is looking very very slim these days and I love this site too.

That's awesome!! Wonderful feeling - hold onto it for the rest of the month! I can't wait to snowball but the stupid MBNA payment allocation has scuppered that plan for a while

In terms of your food, chicken, veg is probably the best food you can eat!! its all I eat in fact I have chicken, bacon and feta cheese today for my tea....Its gorgeous!!

Sounds gorgeous. To be honest I have been very bad with my diet (which as a diabetic is not good, but I am trying to be MSE by eating what we have as I don't want it to waste. I am hoping to get back on plan but it will be a little at a time I think. I have the GP calling me tomorrow so fingers crossed she inspires me with news of my blood tests

Hope you kissed and made up with the paint argument too.......you are smashing your goals and its soon pay day and you can do that dance!!! :rotfl: x

Yes, all OK now, until the next time he does something to annoy me of course LOL
    and keep your posts up, it is obviously keeping you going!!!!! Its hard isnt it, you set goals and then get a bit deflated so keep it up - they are interesting and you might one day help someone you know with what you post....
    I have now learned how to subscribe now, so I am subscribed to your thread...I am such a tech idiot..I find it hard to see things on my phone...
    x

Oh I will certainly be keeping up with my posts, need to keep the momentum going no matter what. So cashed out £4 from Crowdology and within a couple of days it is in my Pay Pal account. So will pay that off a debt as soon as it is in my bank account. I was going to withdraw £10 from Prolific but then I saw that they use something called Circle which is like Paypal only cheaper in terms of fees. I was a bit worried whether Circle was legit as I had never heard of them but a quick check here on MSE showed that people have used them successfully so I have signed up. But it does mean waiting until I have a £20 balance before cashing out to avoid any fees.

I also have my first mystery shopping job coming up! Obviously I cannot say anything about it but I chose it carefully, as I wanted something not too complex for my first time. Fingers crossed I don't mess it up. I have decided to be very selective in these jobs, as better to do a few well than over commit myself. This job won't cost me anything in an initial outlay too so that is all good as well. Otherwise I might have to make a mystery shopper category in YNAB to account for this because its like work expenses you still have to pay upfront for certain things even if you get it back later.

Thanks you guys for responding to my posts, lovely to have some interaction and will return the favour with your diaries as soon as I have filled my tummy LOL:rotfl:...back in a jiff

• Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 1:42PM
    Hi Narola1976

I've just read through your diary and I think you are doing so well, and it great that you are tackling it now in time for your daughter going to Uni, even if you aren't quite fully debt free, you will be in a much better place.

I'm also T2 Diabetic and recently diagnosed, I got it back under control with diet, so now all I have to do it to stick to it, easier said than done. I'm using a hypnosis app at the moment which is helping.

I've not heard of Prolific surveys so have just signed up so thanks for sharing that. Have you heard of YouGov surveys ? you can only cash out when you get to £50 but I usually get one lot of £50 per year and it all helps.

Like you I'm also a new old user of MSE, started well last time and lost focus so looking to keep really focused and succeed this time, it can be done :-)

I'm going to subscribe, as I think yours is going to be a really good diary.

Reb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport