Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MMEHTA2204
    • By MMEHTA2204 5th Aug 17, 6:42 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MMEHTA2204
    DWP Office Interview Letter, Incredibly Scared!
    • 5th Aug 17, 6:42 PM
    DWP Office Interview Letter, Incredibly Scared! 5th Aug 17 at 6:42 PM
    Okay this might be a long read but I will keep this as short as possible.

This issue is relating to my Parents. Basically My Mother has been called in for an office interview, the letter reads

"We're reviewing your benefits and Circumstances"

So first after receiving this letter in the post, I called the number on the letter and I got through Miss Ali from the Fraud and Error Service. On hearing that I absolutely got frightened if my Mother is in trouble. I should note the letter does not say "Interview Under Caution"

Now a summary of my parents benefits, so my parents are on ESA, they have been since March, before that my Parents were on JSA since 2014 on and off. Since getting on benefits my father worked zero hour contracts most weeks he did not work but the weeks he did were simply under 16hrs, on might have been over 16hrs. But he did get one continuous job in 2015-2016 which we did stop the benefits and during this time my mother was registered Self emp as we tried to help her launch a catering business. It did not work we just spent 30 on leaflets and then left it as there was no demand. During this time we did claim working tax.

No coming to the present since my parents have claimed ESA. My dad has worked odd days under 16hrs and maybe there was a week where he worked few hours more. My mother did have an medical appointment, which went fine and that was over a month ago, since then we have not got a response to that and their money is still being paid.

When looking online, I have found we have to notify DWP if a working 16hrs. The issue is it refers to the claimant but it is a joint claim but on my mothers name.

Now they have requested The latest bank statement which is fine but it does show pay from my father agency but obviously its low. Just this week he received 408 he worked under 16hrs but the rest of the payments were for over taxing which he got a refund for, so we will provide payslip for that as proof.

I am just incredibly scared my mother or father will get in trouble for this. Has anyone else received a letter of such??
Page 2
    • MMEHTA2204
    • By MMEHTA2204 5th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MMEHTA2204
    I have received this letter, Its not nice, But on the other hand its reassuring to know that it makes people think about their benefit.

From what is posted, its most likely the DWP has received information to the fact that someone claiming state benefit that otherwise shouldn't have. And its seems in this case that's claiming whilst working.

The issues here is you do not know how much information the DWP/JCP has or what evidence they have, They have to give you this evidence and the reasons as to why they have brought you in and what has been said about your parents. You will be allowed into the interview room as a "witness" to the proceedings, how much involvement in the process you'll be allowed is another matter entirely as legally your nothing to do with your parents claim.

My honest advice would be to be honest and as open as possible with the interviewer.
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Thanks, and I will bring my statement along with me to prove the transfers.
    • MMEHTA2204
    • By MMEHTA2204 5th Aug 17, 9:45 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MMEHTA2204
    Yes I would just be up front about all circumstances... also I note it sounds like they pay the mortgage but you send the money to their account... be prepared to be open and explanative about that too... it may look to an outsider like they have a regular income from you.
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    I do understand that, I will bring my statements along with me.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 5th Aug 17, 10:37 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    bspm
    I might be wrong here but shouldn't the work under 16 hours be permitted work? If you are claiming ESA is it normally because you are too ill to work. I wasn't aware that it was a simple rule of working under 16 hours......

If you are considering starting permitted work you must tell the DWP or Jobcentre Plus and get their approval. The general rule is that these benefits are paid because you are not fit for work and will stop if you do some work.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Aug 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I might be wrong here but shouldn't the work under 16 hours be permitted work? If you are claiming ESA is it normally because you are too ill to work. I wasn't aware that it was a simple rule of working under 16 hours......

If you are considering starting permitted work you must tell the DWP or Jobcentre Plus and get their approval. The general rule is that these benefits are paid because you are not fit for work and will stop if you do some work.
    Originally posted by bspm
    Yes with permission of course but in this case it's the mother who's the main claimant. The father is the one who's been working so permitted work isn't allowed in this case.
    • MMEHTA2204
    • By MMEHTA2204 5th Aug 17, 10:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MMEHTA2204
    SORT OF AN UPDATE:

I have checked online and have found this:

www. turn2us . org. uk/Benefit-guides/Working-hours-benefits-rules/How-are-benefits-affected-by-hours-worked

On the ESA section it says the claimants partner (my father) can work 24hrs a week, though his earnings can affect the claim.

I am still confused on why they are calling my mother in. Could it be the medical appointment?
    • MMEHTA2204
    • By MMEHTA2204 5th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MMEHTA2204

Originally posted by bspm
    Sort of an update. I have found that my mother has to get permission from the job center for permitted work but my father can work 24hrs although it may affect the entitlement to the claim. So I am not too sure why they are calling my mother in. It is still confusing although a lot less scary.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 6th Aug 17, 12:25 AM
    • 11,724 Posts
    • 22,130 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    I am still confused on why they are calling my mother in. Could it be the medical appointment?
    Originally posted by MMEHTA2204
    Shouldn't be for that.. they're not there to assess disabilities.. although I note recent assessment elsewhere. Maybe she is considered the (lead) claimant and therefore responsibility for declaring changes of circumstances may fall on her head.

Worth saying a couple of years ago I got a similar invite... made me sick with worry to the point I had to make some preparations for the fact I was struggling to eat or sleep. My anxiety and paranoia went through roof even though I couldn't think of anything I'd done wrong. However I was in the process of bringing my foreign fiancee to the UK and had made some detailed enquiries with the DWP regarding my benefits when my circumstances change (entirely legitimate since the Home Office required the information). Given that one of the biggest areas of fraud is people claiming as single people when living together as a couple I calculated the high probability they suspected I was living with my partner. I turned out to be completely wrong... they believed I had a savings account with vast money in it... data from years previous... nothing new... but their details were completely inaccurate and I was able to comprehensively demonstrate that with entire account statements... and like most of these such enquiries it never went anywhere. I made my statement and signed it and never heard from them again... no apologies or anything like that for taking me to the brink of death at one of the already most complex points in my life. They didn't even answer the enquiries I made just as a final kick in the teeth... oh and they couldn't find the forms to reimburse my travel expenses... I did smile at that one.. if I had as much money as they thought I had then I could have just called in the chopper to the car park.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 06-08-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 6th Aug 17, 1:54 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    WillowCat
    Yes you're correct that your dad is allowed to work up to 24 hours per week and they can still claim esa. However his earning should have been declared so that the money (except a 20 weekly disregard )could be deducted from the esa. I expect that this will need to be repaid , but I am not sure about penalties or prosecution.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 17, 6:38 AM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Sort of an update. I have found that my mother has to get permission from the job center for permitted work but my father can work 24hrs although it may affect the entitlement to the claim. So I am not too sure why they are calling my mother in. It is still confusing although a lot less scary.
    Yes he can work but he's only allowed to keep 20 per week and he needs to tell them. Anything over this that he earned is an over payment. The appointment wouldn't be for medical reasons.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Aug 17, 9:48 AM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 5,133 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    They are calling your mother in because the claim is in her name. Your father is the partner and additional money is paid for him. The investigation will be into any earnings he had which weren't declared by your mother. Most likely outcome will be having to pay back any overpayment along with a fine of up to 50% of that overpayment. For example overpayment of 200 would have to be repaid along with an additional 100.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 6th Aug 17, 11:29 PM
    • 1,813 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    dippy3103
    They are calling your mother in because the claim is in her name. Your father is the partner and additional money is paid for him. The investigation will be into any earnings he had which weren't declared by your mother. Most likely outcome will be having to pay back any overpayment along with a fine of up to 50% of that overpayment. For example overpayment of 200 would have to be repaid along with an additional 100.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    The 50 % Ad Pen is only payable if there is an IUC & it's an alternative to prosecution. Assuming this is why the compliance officer has called the Mum in, then it's highly likely that they will get a 50 penalty instead.
    • Ballboy
    • By Ballboy 5th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ballboy
    My father has just received one of these letters and he's about to turn 80 !
    He's not in the best of health and it's causing much anxiety - would it have been sent to him by mistake ?
    The only 'benefit' paid to him by the DWP is his old age pension and surely they can't stop that for ANY reason ?
    He does receive Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, but these arrangements are administered by the "Revenues & Benefits Dept" of his local council and periodically he is asked to provide them with details to maintain his entitlement.
    Any thoughts on this - does he REALLY have to attend and provide details of his finances ?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    My father has just received one of these letters and he's about to turn 80 !
    He's not in the best of health and it's causing much anxiety - would it have been sent to him by mistake ?
    The only 'benefit' paid to him by the DWP is his old age pension and surely they can't stop that for ANY reason ?
    He does receive Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, but these arrangements are administered by the "Revenues & Benefits Dept" of his local council and periodically he is asked to provide them with details to maintain his entitlement.
    Any thoughts on this - does he REALLY have to attend and provide details of his finances ?
    Originally posted by Ballboy
    The DWP undertake investigations for local authorities also.

Give them a call for further information, but if it cannot be resolved by phone he should certainly attend. If not, his benefits will be suspended until the investigation is completed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,696Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This week's MSE emails out inc Why I'm suing Facebook, TSB help, Big energy switch ends, free eye test, cheap Easy? https://t.co/cHaLs25dUD

• It's an ad. I don't do ads. Its not legit. No ads with me in are legit. That is another scam. https://t.co/uEgbuhJzxy

• RT @Ofcom: Can you tell the difference between an official website and a third-party call connection service site from search results? @PSA?

• Follow Martin