Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elleandsuch
    • By elleandsuch 3rd Aug 17, 12:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    elleandsuch
    Certified identification (not post office)
    • 3rd Aug 17, 12:50 PM
    Certified identification (not post office) 3rd Aug 17 at 12:50 PM
    Delete please
    Last edited by elleandsuch; 03-08-2017 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Edit
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 3rd Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    • 8,223 Posts
    • 8,581 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 3rd Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    Why does your surveyor want your ID? Do you mean solicitor?
    Whichever you mean, if they're local why can't you go in to see them? Or just post ID to them?
    • elleandsuch
    • By elleandsuch 3rd Aug 17, 12:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elleandsuch
    • 3rd Aug 17, 12:57 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 12:57 PM
    Delete please
    Last edited by elleandsuch; 03-08-2017 at 1:15 PM.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 3rd Aug 17, 1:03 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 23,982 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:03 PM
    Hmmmm you sure the surveyor requires this ID? You'd expect solicitors and banks etc to require such. To be honest... as above... if they're local see if they'll accept you taking original proofs.. and check what will precisely be acceptable to them...otherwise I'd be tempted to go elsewhere unless others here suggest this is common practice. If you shop around then should be able to get a solicitor certify documents for 20 or less... possibly even by just dropping in to a solicitor's office in town... I got one certified for 5 by a solicitor at Newcastle Law Centre... I wonder if you have similar options where you live.

Strongly advise people hold onto paper bills or statements for a year in case they're asked for ID... water.. council tax often come for free along with some bank statements.

ETA. You've posted while I was writing. So to add.. hmm... odd... not least because they do not require certified documents.. the best form of ID is originals supplied in person by the person who is verifying their name and address and they can take photocopies for their records.... bad practice IMO that ignores the whole point of AML legislation. I don't understand really how a company that does surveying (unless they do other things like conveyancing work) could be realistically vulnerable to ML as you're talking about a small value purchase for a product that cannot realistically be sold on. To be honest I'd go elsewhere.... often these such checks are done electronically anyway by companies and only resort to manual checks where people cannot be verified electronically because they have little trace of their name and address through things like financial products and electoral register. Comically in this case they suggest you can scan and send via email which sounds again risky in terms of the very thing regulations are there to prevent.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 03-08-2017 at 1:09 PM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 3rd Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 8,223 Posts
    • 8,581 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    I have no idea why a surveyor would want to comply with the rules of the Law Society or care about money-laundering regulations. Sounds most odd. Are you sure you haven't got this mixed up?

But given you'll be instructing a solicitor anyway, find one and see if they can give you certified copies at the same time as they check your ID for their own purposes.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 3rd Aug 17, 1:08 PM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:08 PM
    The estate agent I'm buying through has asked for the same and has said that my estate agent (or solicitor) can email them copies of what I've already provided to each of them.

No idea why a surveyor would need to see them. I think they're all panicking as some of the Money Laundering regs are slightly grey areas and they're covering their own @rses.

If you purposely chose 'local', can't you just pop in? Does it have to go via a third party? Can't they just copy the originals?

Jx
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    • 45,010 Posts
    • 53,638 Thanks
    G_M
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    No, the surveyor want my ID. There's no point going in and seeing them, as they themselves don't certify documents

The email says:
    In order to comply with the current Money Laundering Regulations, and the rules of the Law Society, we are required to ask all new clients to provide appropriate identification before we commence acting.

We would, therefore, be grateful if you would provide us with the following:

1. A photo ID such as your driving licence or passport, and

2. A proof of address, dated within the last three months, showing your name, such as a utility bill (Gas, Electricity, Water), current Council Tax bill, Bank/Building Society/Credit Card statement, or Mortgage statement.

Please do not send any originals, but supply copies of the original certified by a Solicitor, we confirm we do not accept ID certified by the post office. Please either send it by post or scanned by email.
    Originally posted by elleandsuch
    I do not believe this email came from a surveyor.

This is from your solicitor.

And yes, a solicior acting for you in the purchase of a property must confirm your ID.

Take the original documents to their office - they will photocopy them (free as they are acting for you) and give tthem back. Sorted.

If you are using a (cheap?) online conveyancing outfit, well, ths is one of the downsides of not using a local solicitor.
    Last edited by G_M; 03-08-2017 at 1:42 PM.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 3rd Aug 17, 1:21 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:21 PM
    Cached...

I'm buying my first house, and purposely chose a local surveyor with a good reputation as I thought that'd be the simplest and quickest... I thought wrong

Whereas I found some online surveyor companies who do the document/identification certification either for free or for a very small additional free (7-13), my surveyor doesn't - and also doesn't accept ID certified by the post office.

I'm pretty sure my only option is to go to a solicitor and get this does, which I heard is about 40-80. I just thought I'd post here first and see if there's an alternative Thank you!

Edit: also, can a PRINTED bank statement be certified? I don't want to wait 5-7 working days for an ordered paper statement to come!
    ..and
    No, the surveyor want my ID. There's no point going in and seeing them, as they themselves don't certify documents

The email says:
    In order to comply with the current Money Laundering Regulations, and the rules of the Law Society, we are required to ask all new clients to provide appropriate identification before we commence acting.

We would, therefore, be grateful if you would provide us with the following:

1. A photo ID such as your driving licence or passport, and

2. A proof of address, dated within the last three months, showing your name, such as a utility bill (Gas, Electricity, Water), current Council Tax bill, Bank/Building Society/Credit Card statement, or Mortgage statement.

Please do not send any originals, but supply copies of the original certified by a Solicitor, we confirm we do not accept ID certified by the post office. Please either send it by post or scanned by email.
    Why delete a post, when it's a perfectly sensible question? I suspect toys thrown out of pram because the OP muddled up surveyor & solicitor...

Edit.. Curse you G_M... back to your gin and digestives with you!
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 03-08-2017 at 1:23 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 3rd Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    Cached...

..and

Why delete a post, when it's a perfectly sensible question? I suspect toys thrown out of pram because the OP muddled up surveyor & solicitor...

Edit.. Curse you G_M... back to your gin and digestives with you!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I suspect they're more likely to be confusing surveyors with estate agents. Very annoying to delete though as you say.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Aug 17, 1:44 PM
    • 45,010 Posts
    • 53,638 Thanks
    G_M
    I suspect they're more likely to be confusing surveyors with estate agents. Very annoying to delete though as you say.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Estate agents
    a) don't need to verify ID and

b) don't need to comply with the Law Society rules
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 3rd Aug 17, 1:47 PM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Estate agents
    a) don't need to verify ID and

b) don't need to comply with the Law Society rules
    Originally posted by G_M
    Didn't think so either, but, on googling last night, there appears to be grey areas and many are taking a blanket approach of just ID-ing everyone. Utterly pointless, but I couldn't be @rsed to argue with them.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 3rd Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Also, some estate agents/surveyors are also solicitors' offices as well, and I can well believe it's easier for them to ensure any process is covered before it spreads into other areas of the business unnoticed.

But, the OP has flounced..... so I doubt we will discover the actualite!
    • peonypinky
    • By peonypinky 10th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peonypinky
    I had to get copies of original documents certified, and I went to a high street solicitor who offered the service, and sent certified copies to several banks, all of whom would not accept the certified copies that I had paid the solicitor for. I had to go back to the solicitor and request specific wording on the copy, name of person, job title, official stamp of the company, and date. This had to be on every page of the document that was copied.

Never send an original document or certificate through the post, as recorded delivery or special delivery post can go missing, and there are cases where people have received someone else's original document back, there will always be human error in any organisation. So you have to get the certified copies exactly right for the organisation you are providing them to, or take the original documents in person for the organisation to copy them and give you back there and then, if they will do that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,824Posts Today

8,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin