Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 2nd Aug 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,069Posts
    • 16,586Thanks
    Dorastar
    Starting over 2017
    • 2nd Aug 17, 6:03 PM
    Starting over 2017 2nd Aug 17 at 6:03 PM
    Just as the title suggests really, starting over after the ugliest of years ever. Family illness, my own illness and now losing my job means it's time to start over.
    Need to do my SoA so that's the plan over the next few days and then tackle everything head on, interest only mortgage, negative equity, credit card, bank loan, Tesco loan and get a new job/career. It ain't gonna be pretty but we will get there. Wish us luck
Page 26
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 14th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    Dorastar
    Aargh kind of day today, hubby talked to a different boss at work today about using up his holidays before his op and she told him to hang on to them as he will only get statutory sick pay. Other boss he spoke to weeks ago told him he'd get full pay. He has no contract, don't think he's ever signed one tbh, and so quite possibly going to be bringing home very little once he's off sick. He has to go and see them tomorrow to get it all sorted out and I've told him to get it all put down in writing. Obviously we will cope with whatever it ends up being but am trying to save up asy contract ends at end of August and job uncertain after that. Feel very meh as a result ��
    Mr T 9450 Mortgage 160,732 going down slowly
    Emergency Fund 1000 Blanket squares 33/60
    6monthfund 912/6816
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 10:35 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,653 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your hubby needs to speak to ACAS for advice.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 15th Jan 20, 7:05 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    Dorastar
    Your hubby needs to speak to ACAS for advice.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Can they help if he's not in a union though? No-one in the company is allowed to be in a union and people who stir up difficulties are very often out of a job.
    He's going to speak to HR person today, but he hates having these kind of conversations.
    6monthfund 912/6816
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,653 Thanks
    beanielou
    Does not need to be in a union.

https://www.acas.org.uk/contact

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,448 Thanks
    redofromstart
    He needs to ask HR for a written copy of his terms of conditions, by law should be provided within 8 weeks of starting, but asking for a copy generally triggers a response.

He can be on stat sick pay, 3 waiting days and then SSP, that is the legal minimum. I would go back and speak to the first boss. Some companies say SSP then pay company sick pay at managers discretion.
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 15th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    Dorastar
    He's spoken to someone today and seems more confident, but still has nothing in writing so he needs to get that sorted tomorrow. He loves his job but they really are shoddy with workers pay and conditions tbh.

In more positive news I've been popping into M&S to see if a lovely thick woollen wrap has gone down in price, and today it was down to 5.99 from 25 so bought it for the teen and got 9 million mum points as a result (she loved the bargain price too, have taught her well!). This week's money seems to be lasting much better than most weeks and my 'salad in a jar' is really keeping me fed well for lunches - one jam jar sized salad with some protein each day - this week has been sweet potato falafels and feta cheese - has been absolutely yum and so easy to do and have been out running twice so far and not died!
    Have also popped on to internet banking and shuffled spare pounds and pence a couple of times this month now so that's another 17.13 shuffled over to the 6monthfund this month without really having to try hard, be interesting to see how much of a difference that will make over time too.
    Last edited by Dorastar; 15-01-2020 at 8:16 PM.
    6monthfund 912/6816
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 16th Jan 20, 9:44 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    Dorastar
    Not much happening today, 1.70 shuffled over to 6monthfund and went for a run after work. Going to check up on the grand savings total tomorrow.
    6monthfund 912/6816
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 22nd Jan 20, 6:58 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    Dorastar
    Better news today, hubby definitely gets a month off on full pay after his op, and the taxman has decided to return a few hundred pounds he nicked off me for back pay in October. Bit mean of him to sit on it for a few months while he thought about paying it back! Gets paid in tomorrow so it's getting squirrelled across to the 6 month fund. Have had to re-jig the figures on it as hubby used the wrong account for a car repair just before Christmas and forgot to tell me, but will refill it tomorrow.
    Also just cashed out my massive 1.40 topcashback hummingbird win money so that can shuffle across once it is paid it, every penny counts.
    Last edited by Dorastar; Today at 7:02 PM.
    6monthfund 912/6816
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Jan 20, 8:33 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,653 Thanks
    beanielou
    That's great news on the sick pay & on your tax rebate

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter