Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 2nd Aug 17, 1:58 PM
    • 639Posts
    • 1,312Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Taxing a car as new keeper
    • 2nd Aug 17, 1:58 PM
    Taxing a car as new keeper 2nd Aug 17 at 1:58 PM
    Does anyone else notice how difficult it is to actually legally drive away in a car you have just purchased.

Unlike GB, we can't tax a car online as a new keeper, and have to go to the post office with a cover note/certificate of insurance. This creates 2 problems:

1. Finding a post office that is open that does vehicle tax -

I tried 2 different post offices that according to the royal mail website do vehicle tax,
    Post Office Number 1 - they have a big post office at the back of the shop that does the vehicle tax, and a small counter at the front of the shop that doesn't - however the website doesn't specify this, and states opening hours up to 8pm, but the big counter is only open to 5.30pm and it was after this I was there.
    Post Office Number 2 - Despite Royal mail website saying they do vehicle tax, the post office say they don't

2. Getting a certificate of insurance, a lot of car purchases are trade in's the old car needs to be insured until you take it to the garage, and then the new car needs insured to drive it away, so phone the insurance company and get the insurance cover changed over - but then need to get the actual certificate to show the post office to get it taxed.

Thankfully, this time I was simply transferring a car to a family member, so we could easily keep it off the road until we got the tax sorted - but I think this time this process was simplified or an official grace period is granted after purchasing a car, giving time to tax it!
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    • 17,854 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    motorguy
    Yes I did not a problem at all the v5 was also with me In 3 days
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    Thank you - that is WHOLLY in line with my understanding of the issue being with the old ID system and this now being corrected with new references numbers when new V5Cs are issued.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    • 17,854 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    motorguy
    That's my point - buy a new car on a Saturday, and you can't actually use it to the Monday in NI.

I admit to haven driven a new car from the garage or seller to home or an open post office - but this is the only journey I will do without tax, and is actually illegal - but very hard to avoid here.

The only legal way to do it is to leave your new car with the seller or garage while someone else drives you to the post office to tax it.
    Originally posted by Tammykitty
    You're over thinking it and over engineering a solution.

There is not a mission if you buy a car on a Saturday evening, drive it home, drive it over the weekend and then tax it on the Monday you're going to get a fine.

IF by some fluke you did, you would simply write a return letter saying car bought saturday eve, (demonstrable by the previous owner having sent in the V5C dated for change of ownership for that day) and demonstrable that you taxed it at the first opportunity to cover the full period of ownership. End of story.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 3rd Aug 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    When I bought The Car I have I went and got Insurance the same day I tried to tax the car with The green New owner online and could not do it I rang swansea who said the previous Keeper had told them via a phone call he had sold the car and That was why I could not Tax it so I had to wait for the new v5 which was out within 3 days I still had my old car at this time .
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • samanthani
    • By samanthani 3rd Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    samanthani
    I know this post is nearly a year old, but the issue doesn't seem to have been resolved. My daughter has just bought a car and is now having problems trying to tax it at a post office after 5.30pm.

Incidently, I bought a vehicle a in 2016 from a private seller. I drove it home, parked it on the drive and taxed it when I could - for the whole month, which covered the day I bought it. The camera on Saintfield Road spotted me driving home, and a couple of weeks later I got a letter from DVA saying I'd driven without tax and I owed a fine. I contacted them and explained what had happened, but they insisted that I should have taxed the car before driving home, and I did have to pay the fine. I can't remember how much it was - think it was around the 60 to 80 mark - annoying but not going to break the bank (I'm not rich btw!), just clarifying that it was nowhere near the maximum (1000).
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 4th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    No It Is a Nightmare Since that last post I changed my car well I have half price tax you cant tax Disabled at any Post Office In NI only If Its totally free Enhanced I ended up paying for 6 Months as My tax is Expensive PO told me they Have no way of doing It even though It says on The DVLA you can .The whole Taxing System needs looked at again

• spo2
    • By spo2 4th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    spo2
    I bought a new car recently, asked the garage i bought it from to tax it for me and i phoned my insurance company the day before to let them know the date to switch insurance. Absolutely hassle free
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 4th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    I bought a new car recently, asked the garage i bought it from to tax it for me and i phoned my insurance company the day before to let them know the date to switch insurance. Absolutely hassle free
    Originally posted by spo2
    How ?
    as Tax no longer comes on cars the new Owner needs to tax It

• spo2
    • By spo2 17th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    spo2
    How ?
    as Tax no longer comes on cars the new Owner needs to tax It
    Originally posted by Cherryscone

I didn't ask but I did check online that it was taxed OK, and it was
    • ooo000ooo
    • By ooo000ooo 19th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    ooo000ooo
    If you're buying a brand new car, most dealers/manufacturers automatically give you a couple of days free insurance which allows the dealers to tax the car ready for you to drive off the forecourt. Wife has bought a couple of new Toyotas from Charles Hurst over the last couple of years and this is how Toyota deal with it.
    • spo2
    • By spo2 19th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    spo2
    If you're buying a brand new car, most dealers/manufacturers automatically give you a couple of days free insurance which allows the dealers to tax the car ready for you to drive off the forecourt. Wife has bought a couple of new Toyotas from Charles Hurst over the last couple of years and this is how Toyota deal with it.
    Originally posted by ooo000ooo

This sounds familiar actually, I think they did use their own insurance for a day or two to cover something
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin