Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 1st Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,444Posts
    • 2,909Thanks
    chelseablue
    Journey to 0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way
    • 1st Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    Journey to 0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way 1st Aug 17 at 3:31 PM
    Hi everyone!

Just been reading some diaries on here and thought I need to add my own. Hopefully I will get some encouragement or just stop myself going insane

A bit about me; I'm 34 and live in Berkshire with my partner and our 3 year old son.

We are getting married next year so am saving towards that, plus we have a lease car that goes back in April so need to get another car. So am saving for that.

Oh and we are going on holiday next December to Australia so need to save for that too!

2018 is looking to be expensive

Onto the reason I'm here: DEBT

We owe the following:

Lloyds credit card: 3,219
    Sainsbury's credit card 1,392

Oh and a mortgage of 221,000 (!)

The credit cards are 0% until 2020 so everything I send to those comes off the total.

Currently the DD to Sainsbury's is 40, which will clear it by 2020 so I just leave that for now.
    The DD to Lloyds is also 40 so I need to concentrate my efforts here otherwise the balance will still be about 2,000 when the 0% ends.
    Determined not to have to transfer it on to another 0% deal!

We earn 63,000 between us so am sure we can do it.

Hopefully I've just paid the last 850 a month childcare invoice as our son is 3 now so is eligible for the Government funded hours from September.

Will post our SOA shortly

If you've read this far well done and thank you!!
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
Page 6
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 28th Jun 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Good decision on getting rid of credit card and paying in full for insurance. The less monthly outgoings you have the better as it is often cheaper to pay upfront.

Congrats on your marriage and glad all went well.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you!

Just paid for husbands car insurance (feels weird saying husband!)
    Was 648 so that's more of our savings gone

Cant wait until his is 200 quid a year like mine

So what with that and the Sainsburys card I've spent over 1,000 today just sat at work
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 12th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Right, back again!

Sainsbury's card balance is now down to 436. I WILL pay it off next week, and the day after when the balance shows as 0 I WILL phone them and close the account.

That will leave me with 2 cards to pay off; Barclaycard and Lloyds.
    Lloyds is 0% so I have rejigged the direct debit to just do the minimum each month (43) and will concentrate on Barclaycard first

When Lloyds is paid off I will close the account.

I've also been contemplating closing my account with NEXT (balance currently 0). That will force us to buy clothes with money we actually have in the bank!

My only dilemma is I like NEXT for work clothes but I cant see an option on their website for being able to order things and just pay on a bank card, it seems you have to have an account with them to order?
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I've set up the direct debit to Barclaycard for 1,000 a month

This will mean its paid off in November, then will move on to Lloyds.

Hoping we will be ok paying off a grand a month.
    Things will improve again in September as son starts school so no more nursery fees! Will be about 230 a month better off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,066Posts Today

7,538Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin