Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 1st Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,563Posts
    • 2,994Thanks
    chelseablue
    Journey to 0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way
    • 1st Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    Journey to 0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way 1st Aug 17 at 3:31 PM
    Hi everyone!

Just been reading some diaries on here and thought I need to add my own. Hopefully I will get some encouragement or just stop myself going insane

A bit about me; I'm 34 and live in Berkshire with my partner and our 3 year old son.

We are getting married next year so am saving towards that, plus we have a lease car that goes back in April so need to get another car. So am saving for that.

Oh and we are going on holiday next December to Australia so need to save for that too!

2018 is looking to be expensive

Onto the reason I'm here: DEBT

We owe the following:

Lloyds credit card: 3,219
    Sainsbury's credit card 1,392

Oh and a mortgage of 221,000 (!)

The credit cards are 0% until 2020 so everything I send to those comes off the total.

Currently the DD to Sainsbury's is 40, which will clear it by 2020 so I just leave that for now.
    The DD to Lloyds is also 40 so I need to concentrate my efforts here otherwise the balance will still be about 2,000 when the 0% ends.
    Determined not to have to transfer it on to another 0% deal!

We earn 63,000 between us so am sure we can do it.

Hopefully I've just paid the last 850 a month childcare invoice as our son is 3 now so is eligible for the Government funded hours from September.

Will post our SOA shortly

If you've read this far well done and thank you!!
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
Page 6
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 28th Jun 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Good decision on getting rid of credit card and paying in full for insurance. The less monthly outgoings you have the better as it is often cheaper to pay upfront.

Congrats on your marriage and glad all went well.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you!

Just paid for husbands car insurance (feels weird saying husband!)
    Was 648 so that's more of our savings gone

Cant wait until his is 200 quid a year like mine

So what with that and the Sainsburys card I've spent over 1,000 today just sat at work
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 12th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Right, back again!

Sainsbury's card balance is now down to 436. I WILL pay it off next week, and the day after when the balance shows as 0 I WILL phone them and close the account.

That will leave me with 2 cards to pay off; Barclaycard and Lloyds.
    Lloyds is 0% so I have rejigged the direct debit to just do the minimum each month (43) and will concentrate on Barclaycard first

When Lloyds is paid off I will close the account.

I've also been contemplating closing my account with NEXT (balance currently 0). That will force us to buy clothes with money we actually have in the bank!

My only dilemma is I like NEXT for work clothes but I cant see an option on their website for being able to order things and just pay on a bank card, it seems you have to have an account with them to order?
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I've set up the direct debit to Barclaycard for 1,000 a month

This will mean its paid off in November, then will move on to Lloyds.

Hoping we will be ok paying off a grand a month.
    Things will improve again in September as son starts school so no more nursery fees! Will be about 230 a month better off
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 17th Jul 18, 3:21 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Just paid off the Sainsbury's credit card 436

When the balance shows as 0 tomorrow I will phone them and close the account.

That leaves 2 cards to go
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 23,935 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi Chelsea,

Just caught up on your diary.

Congratulations on your wedding, I'm glad it went well.

Well done on the payments, you're doing great and will be debt free before you know it xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5960.00 BC: 349.99 Cap One: GONE Lloyds: 10,300.00
    OD 0/500 LC 0/1500 Washer 0/309.99
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 7219.86/7000
    Savings for Christmas 314.24/400
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 17th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Hi Chelsea,

Just caught up on your diary.

Congratulations on your wedding, I'm glad it went well.

Well done on the payments, you're doing great and will be debt free before you know it xx
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thank you! I've always hated debt, its only in the last couple of years that I've owed money on credit cards (I'm 35)

I really would not recommend getting married, buying a car and going to Australia in the one year!

When I've paid off the 2 cards I'll start on my car loan. Might not be as aggressive with that one, thinking of sending 500 a month to it (on top of the 136 standard payment)

Then when all unsecured debt is gone I'll start on the 218,000 mortgage............! xx
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 18th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Lovely to see a card with a zero balance at last! Will close the account today.

Had the water bill through today, payments will be going from 17 to 22 a month from September.

Husbands birthday on Saturday and he wants to do a bbq.
    I've got 45 worth of Nectar points to use so might get the food from Sainsbury's.
    If that's not enough I've also got 30 on a M&S gift card.

Husband gets paid next Wednesday and I've already got a list going of stuff I need to buy:

School Uniform (son starts Reception in September)
    Tyre for my car
    Breakdown cover

Would love a month where we only have to pay the usual bills and nothing else but there always seems to be something else that's needed!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 18th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Sainsbury's credit card now closed
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 25th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Husband got paid today so its the start of a brand new month!

Already spent quite a bit and its only just gone lunchtime

92 on school uniform (son starts Reception in September so had to buy everything)
    74 on a golf club for husband (I don't understand golf but apparently he needs this particular club. 74 quid for just one!)
    20 on diesel for husbands car.
    45 on petrol for my car (this fills the tank and should last me a month)

Feeling deflated all ready I must admit.

1,000 DD to Barclaycard comes out on the 31st and I'm determined not to change it.

Would also like to try and put 300 in savings as currently have 1,700 and would like to get it to 2,000 but we'll see

Looking forward to September when we'll be a bit better off.
    Current nursery bill is 460 a month. I pay them 243 in childcare vouchers and I then send them 217 from the bank.

From September he'll be going to after school club every day, which is 170 a month.
    I'll still be getting 243 vouchers so I'll pay for it out of those and will have 73 of vouchers left a month to save up for any holiday club I need

How people afford more than one child I'll never know
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 2nd Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Had my diary a year now and in that 12 months the debt has increased

But last week I was accepted for a Virgin Money card that is 0% for 30 months on balance transfers and money transfers so have managed to shift most of our debt onto it.

I did a money transfer from it of 5,000 to pay off the car loan I had with Nationwide.
    I have paid this off today so this frees up the 136 a month I used to pay off it.

So now all debt is split over 2 cards as follows (both 0%)

Lloyds: 3,928
    Virgin: 10,579

Direct debit is set up at 370 to Virgin which will mean its clear before the 30 months end.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 9th Aug 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I moved 500 to savings this month so now have 2,200 saved in a easy access account.

Plus my S&S ISA hit 6,000 this week.

Husband wants to meet me at Sports Direct after work as he 'needs' a golf jacket.
    He saw one on their website he liked for 32 which isn't too bad I don't think??
    Hopefully its in store!

2 weeks until payday and there's 566 in the bank, but there's still a couple of bills to come out.
    Child benefit gets paid on Monday so that'll be 82 coming in
    Last edited by chelseablue; 09-08-2018 at 4:51 PM.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Pay day next Friday (24th) and there's 455 in the bank.

One more bill to come out this Wednesday for the internet, 38

I need to order my son the next size up car seat which is 140 (Mothercare have it on sale at the moment, down from 180). It's the one that lasts from 4 years old until 12, so will be the last one I need to buy.

Had a letter about husbands car tax renewal, 66 for 6 months or 120 for the year. Its not due until 1st September so can wait until pay day.

I do need a new tyre and wiper blades for my old banger, might just do them this week and get it over with. Tyre will be about 35 so not too bad really.

Every month there seems to be something that crops up that needs replacing, fixing or buying!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 21st Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Pay day on Friday and there's 156 in the bank.

Phoned the place where I usually get my tyres done and a new one for my car is 38 so getting that done in my lunch hour today.

Plus there's a problem with husbands car so that's booked into the garage tomorrow really hoping its just a new battery that's needed. But his car has a start/stop button and apparently batteries for those are more expensive
    So will either have to pay on my credit card and (hopefully!) pay off on Friday or use savings (but they're meant to be for Australia)

Already got loads of planned spends for Friday:

66 on car tax for husbands car
    83 to Next (this clears the balance in full)
    79 to Barclaycard (this will clear the balance in full)

DEPRESSED!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 21st Aug 18, 10:40 AM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 15,243 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I am not sure anyone "needs" a golf jacket. Won't an ordinary coat do? My brother plays golf all the time and just wears an ordinary rainproof coat which normally comes off quite quickly regardless of weather. Expensive cars and hobbies sound like they need budgeting for ideally out of fixed spending money monthly so it is your DH who needs to think about that rather than you constantly juggling money around. My DH has a fairly expensive hobby and we both have the same personal spends each month (goes up and down with money available). I always have plenty and DH always running short but he admits that he could spend with no limits if we did not do this. He got through his mums inheritance with very little to show for it.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 21st Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I am not sure anyone "needs" a golf jacket. Won't an ordinary coat do? My brother plays golf all the time and just wears an ordinary rainproof coat which normally comes off quite quickly regardless of weather. Expensive cars and hobbies sound like they need budgeting for ideally out of fixed spending money monthly so it is your DH who needs to think about that rather than you constantly juggling money around. My DH has a fairly expensive hobby and we both have the same personal spends each month (goes up and down with money available). I always have plenty and DH always running short but he admits that he could spend with no limits if we did not do this. He got through his mums inheritance with very little to show for it.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I think the jacket he wanted could be used whenever really, not just for golf.

I've been thinking it would be a good idea to have a separate savings account that is just for car stuff?
    Would just be for MOT, parts, tyres.

Maybe 50 a month?
    • stay_at_home_mum
    • By stay_at_home_mum 21st Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    stay_at_home_mum
    just discovered your diary chelseablue. love reading it as you sound very similar to me. I have just got rid of my next card and promise myself if i need anything that i cannot afford outright i will only use a 0% purchase card. answer to your question. you can buy with other cards / paypal not just store card.
    my son starts reception too this September. i am lucky in the fact my daughter is already there so he will get all the hand me downs but i still need to buy shoes and trousers. i know uniform is expensive but ive found that they dont really need too many casual clothes as they are at school for most of the day and when they get home i put them in pjs if we arnt doing anything. plus, once you start the school, most schools will have a second hand uniform shop.
    good luck on your journey - i will be following with interest
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 22nd Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    just discovered your diary chelseablue. love reading it as you sound very similar to me. I have just got rid of my next card and promise myself if i need anything that i cannot afford outright i will only use a 0% purchase card. answer to your question. you can buy with other cards / paypal not just store card.
    my son starts reception too this September. i am lucky in the fact my daughter is already there so he will get all the hand me downs but i still need to buy shoes and trousers. i know uniform is expensive but ive found that they dont really need too many casual clothes as they are at school for most of the day and when they get home i put them in pjs if we arnt doing anything. plus, once you start the school, most schools will have a second hand uniform shop.
    good luck on your journey - i will be following with interest
    Originally posted by stay_at_home_mum
    Thank you! Do you have a diary on here?
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 22nd Aug 18, 4:17 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Well, husbands car went into day and unfortunately it wasn't a new battery that was needed

It needed a new crank shaft pully and a fan belt (whatever those are!).....310 including the labour.

Out of interest I called the local BMW garage to find out how much they would of charged and they said 580
    So glad I found a good garage that doesn't charge the earth

I've opened a new savings account that is just for car stuff, going to put 100 in each month on pay day so that in the future if (when?) this happens again they'll be a pot of money there to use
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 15,243 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    BMWs are money pits. Parts cost a small fortune.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dot.007
    • By Dot.007 22nd Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Dot.007
    I can't agree more
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,785Posts Today

8,313Users online

Martin's Twitter