Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,060Posts
    • 12,800Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 80
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 44,720 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I've never seen those boxes in our Mr L - what amazing value!

Glad the invoices have been paid
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £13.14
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Oct 18, 7:45 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 20,878 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad the business account is looking good.
    Great value F&V Redo
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Oct 18, 10:50 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Glad things are getting there

You could try hoovering the PC fan - I had a laptop that needed that regularly otherwise it clunked and overheated and conked out. Apparently the heat sink stuff just fails eventually.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Oct 18, 8:10 AM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 46,660 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    My DH uses compressed air to squirt into pc fans to de-clog them. They can overheat if clogged with dust so worth a go.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,800 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks - his PC did die, despite cleaning out a kittens worth of dust. The error codes all related to hard drive failure so not a surprise. It was 3.5 years old so not done too badly.

Nasty weather here, feel for those taking the brunt of it. Definitely a night for wrapping up warm. I might even crack and test the heating out.

Star mummy has written some interesting and inspiring stuff about wardrobe purges and her shopping ban rules on her diary. Well worth a read. It reminded me that I still haven't read my copy of the Art of Simplicty, or the one on procrastination
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,570 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Weather is windy here , hope it calms down in the night. Glad to hear your invoices have been paid.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Must have a look at Starmummy's diary re wardrobe purges. I've decided to get rid of a small black Dune bag with a chain handle. I've had it for ages and bought it originally as a more smartish bag to attend a funeral but I've come to the conclusion that it's really too small for all my bits. Also getting rid of a fur headband (why did I ever buy that!!!!!!} and also a fur hat which makes me look more like Ivan the Terrible than Anna Karenina!

Hope the weather improves up there. I put my heating on low last week!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 18, 10:23 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I'll also need to go have a nosey at Starmummy's diary - I can feel a wardrobe purge may be necessary for me.

Sorry to hear you have all been under the weather... A cold really knocks me out so well done on keeping on carrying on. Good news on the client paying their invoices Hope you are feeling a bit better and hope the fluffer is ok as well!
    Total Debt : 1600.00 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 20 kg / 45kg
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Oct 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 46,660 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Read the procrastination book first and after that you'll be able to do everything else .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 19th Oct 18, 9:34 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,800 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've been reading the procrastination book since 2002 HHOD!
    The fluffster is a bit off colour Lonelyrat, I'm just waiting for the next abscess. There's a new long haired black cat down the road, equally rubbish at fighting. They spend a lot of time pulling each other's fur while the rest of my herd snigger.

Such a busy work week, lots of travel including a rare trip to London. I do not like cities any more, so many people.

Anyway, I'm focusing on the business balance, every week I do is another months wages and it is now likely to run till Christmas instead of the end of this month. Not sure if I will still be functioning by then though, I'm so very tired now and all the fibro bits are sore. Need to do nothing tomorrow, and absolutely under no circumstances go near the Groundhog Day carpark that is the M6.

I haven't cooked all week, couldn't even tell you if I have eaten most days although we did sneak out for pub lunch today as OH and the boys were off and I was wfh.

DIAs description of good quality food appealed. Might do the expensive but appetising option of a recipe box for next week as I'm mostly going to be in the car again. DS1 enjoys helping to make them too, and OH can follow the instructions if I am late back.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 20th Oct 18, 7:38 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,570 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hi Redo,

Hope life quietens down for you eventually, but as you say the money is why we work. Love your description of the M6 , it is a car park most days , I worry if it is clear when I go on it.

You can get some discount codes for the recipe boxes so my work colleagues tell me, one has tried a few recently.

Have a good weekend.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 20th Oct 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,800 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks Cumbria, I've just had a quick google and they all do 50% off your first box. I've done HF before, and quite liked them but they are very expensive without the discount so I will look at the others. What I found difficult last time was picking three meals that we would actually choose to eat, I'm bad enough at eating without starting off from my pathetic and annoying child like reaction of yuck I'm not eating that.

Today I need to tidy out the fridge, and get the kitchen back to tidy which would be a start!
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th Oct 18, 10:41 AM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 21,063 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, hope you manage to get some rest this weekend as well as some cleaning done.

We tried the simply cook recipe boxes on an offer a few months ago & found most of the recipes really good. We're actually thinking of doing it again for a bit as stuck in a rut with food/recipes just now. I'm sure there will be offers/discount vouchers to be had.

Have to laugh at the rubbish cat street fighters. My two don't get out as old cat would be bullied & big cat would be fighting the whole street.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £11,420 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £55,410
    Loan £1087.20, CC 0% BT £350, Car loans £20,025.59

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 20th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,800 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'll have a look at those too, thanks Sashybo. My sister really rated them too, and she is just as odd as me.

HF publish their recipe cards on their website too, quite good for inspiration as it is whole meals rather than having to think about side dishes.

I just got round to downloading the MrM app, 500 points for doing so and then it gave me some new offers including 3000 points on a £30 spend which might stack with the paper vouchers. I doubt I will have time to go in before it expires though, another busy week coming up.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 21st Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,800 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I actually cooked yesterday

Lamb balti with a small bit of (reduced) neck fillet. It went nice and tender far faster than leg or shoulder cubes so I will keep an eye out for it in the future.
    Chicken curry
    Lentil dhal
    And the new obsession of the month, oven baked rice with bits in. Variations on this recipe, I reduce the butter and added peas and turmeric this time.

Lots of leftovers frozen into meals.

I also made some roasted chickpeas for snacking but the boy ate all of them
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Oct 18, 9:59 AM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 20,878 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh neck fillet is a lovely cut and also excellent for lamb and veggie skewers with halloumi and red peppers maybe? All your meals sound lovely.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 22nd Oct 18, 3:58 AM
    • 12,892 Posts
    • 222,574 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done on all the cooking. Can you teach the boy to make roasted chickpeas so he can restock your snacks?
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 22nd Oct 18, 8:26 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 44,720 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oven baked rice is fab Keep meaning to try roast chickpeas now they're free on WW, I love chickpeas.

I've never tried the recipe boxes, have often been tempted though.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £13.14
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 22nd Oct 18, 9:09 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Poor fluffster I like the idea of a recipe box a lot! Let us know which one you used and if it was any good! I worry that I'd end up being too picky and/ or getting home and not being bothered to cook and wasting it.

I'm with you on not liking cities so much anymore. I never minded until I moved away and now I find the people and the noise quite overwhelming sometimes.
    Total Debt : 1600.00 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 20 kg / 45kg
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 23rd Oct 18, 11:44 AM
    • 7,501 Posts
    • 9,799 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Oven baked rice is fab Keep meaning to try roast chickpeas now they're free on WW, I love chickpeas.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    If you use tinned chickpeas keep the water to make meringue - I tried it because my Mum is allergic to eggs and hasn't had meringue for c50years!!! (She cried happy tears.) It was good enough that my OH had 2 helpings! Clearly the sugar content is not WW friendly really but almost free desserts can't be all bad?

Also, one of my friends made pancakes with the chickpea water and her OH couldn't tell they weren't made with egg. There's a load of recipes online for using aqua faba instead of eggs.
    Last edited by Lucifa73; 23-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Tesco CC 020718: £3502.86/240918: £3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys 2018 cashed £14.84/cleared £21.45/pending £0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    2018 challenges: 50ps challenge:£19.00 5ps challenge: £4.10
    SPC 2019 #073

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,866Posts Today

6,703Users online

Martin's Twitter