Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,832Posts
    • 11,217Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 73
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Sounds like it's been all guns blazing! Progress sounds great though I'm generally very clumsy too... I've been known to fall over my own feet on a number of occassions and am currently sporting a scabbed knee from when I took a tumble in the woods. I dread to think what I'll be like when I get older!
    Total Debt: 900 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 250 - Virgin CC 650
    Weight Loss: 14.9kg/ 45kg
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,838 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're getting loads done Redo . Your shennanigans are inspiring me to sort out my own cluttered, untidy and dirty house.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jul 18, 8:54 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 39,181 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounding very productive on the decluttering front. I also fell over in the week at work, tripped over nothing. You wouldn't believe how many forms my manager and I have had to fill in - crazy!!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2300
    Weight loss 1/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 20,627 Thanks
    sashybo
    Well done on the decluttering redo. I love tidying somewhere & then going back just to look at it because it's all lovely & clean and tidy.

Thanks for mentioning the kindle unlimited offer, I took advantage of it after you said about it. I've had it before on a free offer as good to have but wouldn't pay for it.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,622 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,690
    Loan £2094.25, CC 0% BT £980, Car loans £22,048.31

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 12,531 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi redo - just catching up with your diary - I hope all is well in the redo household after Raspberrygate and the furry pair have calmed down!

The decluttering is going well too - you're very brave to tackle teenage boys' bedrooms!

How is the style challenge going? Was part of the challenge to recycle what you already had in your wardrobe?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/07/2018: £776.27
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 34!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    You are doing great with house stuff
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Sounds like it's been all guns blazing! Progress sounds great though !
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    You're getting loads done Redo . Your shennanigans are inspiring me to sort out my own cluttered, untidy and dirty house.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you - its an epic task but the cleaning fairy isn't going to do it for me sadly.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounding very productive on the decluttering front. I also fell over in the week at work, tripped over nothing. You wouldn't believe how many forms my manager and I have had to fill in - crazy!!
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Hope you didn't hurt yourself?
    Thanks for mentioning the kindle unlimited offer, I took advantage of it after you said about it. I've had it before on a free offer as good to have but wouldn't pay for it.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    Glad it helped, I wouldn't pay the £8 a month either but they do free or low cost trials regularly.
    Hi redo - just catching up with your diary - I hope all is well in the redo household after Raspberrygate and the furry pair have calmed down!

The decluttering is going well too - you're very brave to tackle teenage boys' bedrooms!

How is the style challenge going? Was part of the challenge to recycle what you already had in your wardrobe?
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    All fine, had a swollen ankle for a few days but its just a healing scratch now. The style thing has been interesting , very thought provoking. I now have a mental list of things to buy when I see them/have funds but no 'it'll do' purchases again. It has helped focus the exit of a few more bits which helps.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Busy couple of days getting things done before the boys break up for summer. Expensive things like hair cut and colour, new uniforms (Ds2 goes up a year and the uniform changes to blazer/shirt/tie from fleece and polos which is expensive, wasteful and generally annoying) and end of year school trips.

Food wise the freezer needs defrosting so i'm trying to run it down a bit. Made a meatloaf as a use it up (beef mince, random sausages, bacon scraps) which was ok, and has formed the basis of packed lunches at least. We had the first new potatoes from the garden which were just so tasty, even better cold. Hope I wrote the variety down! Peas in the pod are being picked daily and gobbled raw by the boys which is quite satisfying, and we have had a few more bowls of raspberries without personal injury. I bet there are courgettes ready too

I've cleared the excess junk from the bathroom and it looks so much better. I'm slowly prepping for the re-paint as I hate doing that. Re-homed the tired stainless steel stand to the garage and nothing is to go back in that doesn't fit in the new cupboard. Looks so much better clear and of course will be easier to clean.

Two sessions done on DS1s room, and probably another couple of hours to do. That needs to be done by Friday.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jul 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've just worked out that I have 17 week days left to make in impression on this revolting hovel. Really need to focus if I am not to be embarrassed when house sitters arrive. Seriously, I should book them to visit every few months.

I'm avoiding DS1s bedroom. Can you tell?
    • BelleOfBilboa
    • By BelleOfBilboa 11th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    BelleOfBilboa
    To do lists are your friend, one step at a time! May the odds be ever in your favour!!
    Next £362.91/£324.91; Natwest OD £2000/£2000; Natwest Loan £1692.50/£1692.50; CDL £4000/£3790; Bank of M&D £2165.35/£2015.35 DFD 31/12/19

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 12,666 Posts
    • 220,625 Thanks
    greenbee
    Just go in there with a binbag and then head straight out to get rid of it all before going back in with the bleach.

Make sure you have a mask and gloves
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hello belle. I make lists, and then, in my head, things have exited the building so to speak and I never actually go back and do them. I'm the same with emails. I read them, and often thought about the answer, therefore I have responded. Even if the sender doesn't actually get a response

greenbee I did some outside bits first as it isn't too hot yet but about to kit up and get on with it.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I'm the same with emails. I read them, and often thought about the answer, therefore I have responded. Even if the sender doesn't actually get a response
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    This is exactly me I spend a while thinking about responses/ drafting them in my head then feel like I've done it. No responses ever do get sent...

Good luck with the room!
    Total Debt: 900 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 250 - Virgin CC 650
    Weight Loss: 14.9kg/ 45kg
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    FlyLady crisis clean??
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Good luck with the room!
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Thanks
    FlyLady crisis clean??
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    It is vaguely what I am doing, in one hour blocks.

Quite a bit done on it this afternoon and another section cleared. Another two sessions should see it finished.

ETA it is so NOT the weather for rubber gloves.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,131 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm tempted to book house sitters myself as an incentive to sort the house even if I have no pets and I am not going anywhere. Might still be worth it if your activity is anything to go by
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,838 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm tempted to book house sitters myself as an incentive to sort the house even if I have no pets and I am not going anywhere. Might still be worth it if your activity is anything to go by
    Having people around always boots me into action. It's when I see everything through their eyes that the full horror of it strikes me
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Jul 18, 9:35 PM
    • 12,666 Posts
    • 220,625 Thanks
    greenbee
    *Wonders whether now is the time to ask for a bed for the night on Saturday and then thinks better of it*
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Yes, its certainly working for me. They have stayed before but not for a few years.
    Having people around always boots me into action. It's when I see everything through their eyes that the full horror of it strikes me
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sometimes I have to take photos so that I can see it.
    *Wonders whether now is the time to ask for a bed for the night on Saturday and then thinks better of it*
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Given the current mess and my energy levels today then really, no.

The internet wasn't working this morning. Great opportunity to get on surely, but no I had to go out and do some time bound jobs. Its back on now, hope it stays on or the boys will be unhappy.

Need to make myself go and do an hour on his bedroom but I had a bad night and am very tired and sore. Really need to do it so I can wash his carpet tomorrow. What I really want to do is go back to bed.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The decluttering/tidying of his room is done. It'll need another hour of wall and carpet washing tomorrow though. I hate cats, and teenagers, and spiders.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

600Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin