Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,829Posts
    • 11,193Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, 840 left at 94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, 2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks 200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 65
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 14th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Starmummy
    loving the recipes redo. I love settling in for a catch up on your diary. it's like snuggling up with a good book
    Debt at LBM (01/01/18) 17,937.19
    current Debt (02/07/18) 12,307.50
    31.4% gone forever
    DFD 12/09/19
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 3,131 Posts
    • 16,339 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on the F&V eating. I can't wait to have an oven so I can make peanut butter cookies too
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Washed the carpet
    Weeds hoed off the veg plot
    Watered the polytunnel
    Planted out courgette and broad beans
    Removed various old plants and weeds from front garden in the sunshine - a green waste bins worth
    Weed killer sprayed the paths
    Lobelias planted into the drive tubs
    Made (and ate) butterbean, chicken and chorizo stew

Collapsed into a gibbering heap. My hands hurt from the secateurs.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 31,787 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Gardening is exhausting but well done for achieving so much.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th May 18, 6:44 AM
    • 12,666 Posts
    • 220,620 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done... particularly on the eating

I need to spray the drive tonight...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Great achieving all round there! I feel your pain on the secateurs - I can't use shears for too long as a time as they put my neck into spasm!

Another vote for bicarb for getting read of unsavoury whiffs - sprinkle onto dry carpet in good quantity, leave sitting for a couple of hours, brush in to the pile with a stiff brush and leave for another couple of hours, hoover up. With Greenbee on buying it in 5kg bags too - chinese supermarkets sell it like that.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/1035.63 (09/07/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 15th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Washed the carpet
    Weeds hoed off the veg plot
    Watered the polytunnel
    Planted out courgette and broad beans
    Removed various old plants and weeds from front garden in the sunshine - a green waste bins worth
    Weed killer sprayed the paths
    Lobelias planted into the drive tubs
    Made (and ate) butterbean, chicken and chorizo stew

Collapsed into a gibbering heap. My hands hurt from the secateurs.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I'd have collapsed in a gibbering heap 1/3 of the way through that lot
    Out of curiosity what did you use on the carpet and did it work??
    GC. Oct.17 = 261.18/ 300 = + 38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = 354.89/300 = - 54.39

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I did far too much as usual and my hands and knees are broken today. Have pottered and went out so I resisted temptation to make it worse in the garden although I did do just a little raking but gave up very quickly. Bought lots of reduced cheese in M&S and nice F&V in the big stupidmarket. Dinner will be wine, cheese, wine, salad, wine, crusty bread and variations thereof.

Crystal I used a rug doctor pet stain one which has helped but not removed, with warm water in my elderly vax carpet washer. the Vax branded pet one wasn't much use either. The best saturate and then wash the carpet one was 'simple solution stain remover for dogs' (18/4 litres) from Amzn - only we had the cat one for mr. feline dementia. I agree with the bicarb suggestions from Greenbee and EH but carpet needs to dry out first - and its stained not just smelly. I suspect its right through to the underlay hence the saturate, soak and wash approach. It does look tons better but I haven't been able to give it another wash today as I can't squeeze the handle on the vax.

Speaking of old cats, we had a very rare visit from deaf old man cat who was stolen by the neighbours. He looks terrible, thin and neglected which is probably his age (16) but he should be checked by a vet. I put some flea drops on him and fed him but its difficult when I see the animal once every few months at most. The others wont tolerate him being in the house now. People just don't think of the harm they do, fuss them by all means but don't feed them. I'll have to keep an eye out for next door which will be a tricky conversation.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 39,153 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like you've had a very busy (but productive) few days.

Hope you get your old cat/neighbours situation sorted. Do you think they haven't been feeding him? They do get scrawny as they get older though.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2300
    Weight loss 1/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 31,787 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It must be very annoying having cat stealing neighbours.

I don't blame you for having several courses of wine with your meal .
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    It was just wine and cheese in the end as I can't have bread and I don't really like salad. Was lovely to over indulge.

This morning I went into the big bad city and finally got myself properly measured. New completely different sized underwear fitted and a much improved profile. I used to chuckle at Jilly Cooper /Katie fforde books when the middle aged heroine would go and get herself fitted for new bras and take on a whole new lease of life. Lets hope its true

Tonight was that gourmet delight of sausage, egg, chips and beans and variations thereof.

I'm to buy DS2 some more cheese straws which is a good result. Any variety in his diet is a bonus.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th May 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Age relate scrawniness I think SA, hard to judge when you don't see them regularly so no idea if he drinks a lot, etc.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 31,787 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Age relate scrawniness I think SA, hard to judge when you don't see them regularly so no idea if he drinks a lot, etc.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Are you talking about your cat or your neighbour? .

A better fitting bra can make you look and feel a lot better. I've always been too embarassed to get measured though . The bra fitters always seem young and glamorous and then there's middle aged saggy me .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 39,153 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Last time I had a bra fitting the assistant kindly told me not to buy balcony bras any more as I'd lost the fullness at the top
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2300
    Weight loss 1/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 31,787 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Last time I had a bra fitting the assistant kindly told me not to buy balcony bras any more as I'd lost the fullness at the top
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    That's exactly why I don't want to be measured .
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I know it's not the "correct" approach but having been measured at numerous different sizes over the years in numerous different shops, I have now taken the view that I know how a bra is supposed to fit so I just check that they do and do't get too hung up on size or being measured. The biggest thing for me I found was learning a bit more about the relationship between how cup & band sizes interact. My purchases last time round were a drop in band size but not in cup, while this current lot of replacements have been the opposite - band size was OK as it was but the cup needed to drop a size. (The exception here is sports bras which are a funny one and I do usually ask an assistant to just check the fit, prior to performing my own "bounce test!")

As for not buying balcony styles- all well and good but some of us just fall out of a plunge at the least movement!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/1035.63 (09/07/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Are you talking about your cat or your neighbour? .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Me - scrawny neck. Can't see the rest of me past the newly perky chest
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Bra fitting - there is a good guide here which told me I was very much in the wrong size

This was suggested to me by the lovely lady who runs the 'wardrobe wobbles' Facebook group here

SA how very rude. They don't think what that is going to cost them going forward either. A few years ago the shop assistant on the Estee Lauder counter said I was too old to be wearing 'daywear'. Haven't bought moisturiser from them since.

It has been a spendy month on me actually,:
    • powder foundation compact in clinique (I'm blaming Seaside and Cumbria for that one)
    • new underwear (needed but expensive, had to buy smaller knickers too ), need more bras (know what I need and can save amzn/SB vouchers)
    • Need a swimming costume that fits by half term - figleaves have one for 16 delivered that I like
    • 15 on feel unique, on huge TIGI shampoo and conditioner set and some 'The Ordinary Salicylic Acid; (blaming GeorgianaCavendish). It is doing wonders for my slow to heal face
    • commitments next week for my hair, eyebrows and nails which makes me sound all glamourpuss, but the reality couldn't be much further from the truth

OH has had motorcycle bits so I don't feel too bad. The SB vouchers paid for most of his stuff as well so he was happy.

I picked up a RTC duck this morning for 3 so need to think about what to make with it. Haven't cooked whole duck for years and my head is saying roast, peas and baby new potatoes but may find something more interesting. I have some wonky asparagus to use (1 pack MrM, although I notice its cheaper in Asdar) as a nice starter too. All those lovely vegetables. Anyone would think I had spent yesterday in an allergy inducing, my that is a lovely rash and oh dear stomach ache inducing grain frenzy. (Hoping Greenbee is too busy to read this and make told you so noises)

On the positive side I earthed up the potatoes, potted out the courgettes, planted more beans, peas and his beloved kohl rhabi and did some gentle weeding. And washed the blasted carpet again. Indeed, that is my next job now, wash the carpet again and then set the dehumidifier running.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 12,666 Posts
    • 220,620 Thanks
    greenbee
    Don't worry, I've not exactly been covering myself in glory diet-wise. ANd I'm more likely to need bigger knickers than smaller ones at the rate I'm going...
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 31,787 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That was a useful link to bra fitting Redo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin