Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,065Posts
    • 12,840Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 60
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's nice to know other people have 'real' lives and not perfect ones Redo. Hot dog rolls and berries sound like a lovely meal to me . I hope you feel less unwell tomorrow.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Cross posted - thanks HHOD and Rosa

HHOD its fairly standard in our Morrisons veg bit for things to be in the wrong place or not be priced at all so I keep a careful eye on what I am buying, it does make you wonder how many people actually notice though. £2 for a cauliflower
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 20,961 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hotdogs in buns and berries would have probably come with an American flag stuck in the bun and a bill for £25 in Shoreditch

Glad the migraine has passed

It's funny I aim for perfection but objectively I think it is boring. I like the lyric from Leonard Cohen 'there's a crack in everything. That's how the light get's in.'
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-04-2018 at 9:16 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,658 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I never think that you are rubbish at things! Far from it! You seem to get things loads done, dish up inventive, cheap and delicious meals for your family and basically keep everything running. Nobody's perfect and we all have our off days.

Hope your migraine disappears - Could be something to do with this heavy oppressive weather. Take it easy redo.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    You made me giggle with your '£25 in shoreditch' comment DIA. The boys thought it was a treat!

Seaside we just have solid fog and drizzle, everything crossed for next weeks alleged sunshine.

Lamb cubes out defrosting for curry later. Not cheap but far less than a takeaway, and if I still feel rough then its a simple one pot for dinner.

Green waste bins are empty and ready to be re-filled
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 13th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Starmummy
    oh Redo, sorry you are suffering with headaches and rubbish weather.

I do love popping into your diary though, it's so real. It's like sitting down for a chat with an old friend.

Perfection is boring, crazy cats and muddy jeans and hot dogs for tea all the way.

Take care

SM
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,658 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Got to agree with Starmummy!

Hope your're feeling a lot better today redo.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 21,069 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hope you're feeling better, the weather is rubbish here too, feels like Spring will never come.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £11,430 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £55,420
    Loan £1087.20, CC 0% BT £340, Car loans £20,025.59

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks - much better now.

Dinner was ok - lamb and lentil curry, the inevitable carrot biryani and I made the lentil wraps that I linked too yesterday. They were good and will be a regular fixture for me as they are just lentils which don't cause me problems. I added cumin seed but next time I will experiment with chilli and coriander I think.

The forecast looks a lot better from tomorrow so heres hoping it is right. I need to get the potatoes in asap.

Todays income £10 SB voucher ordered, and a whole pile of PA done. Never seen so many tasks on there so lots of short ones done.

Spending, nothing frivolous. Milk and bread in MrA - 50p standard price for a 400g 50/50 loaf which I thought was good. I pay more than that for it reduced in the co-op!
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 14th Apr 18, 12:24 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Anti-scurvy cake

Cover a whole orange (needs to be carried around in lunch bag for days to be authentic) in water and cook for 20 minutes. Let it cool, cut in half and remove any pips. Blitz the whole orange in a blender.

Mix together 140ml veg oil, 2 eggs, 1 manky banana (see orange comment), and 6oz sugar (mix brown and white for me). Add some grated carrot (5oz) a big handful of sultanas (4oz) and the whizzed orange. Add 6oz SR flour, teaspoon of cinnamon and as much freshly grated nutmeg as you like. I like nutmeg. Tip the batter into a lined brownie tin for 40 minutes at fan 160 until the middle is firm/springy. Let it cool and then ice it if you like icing. Its nice enough without but I did vanilla cream cheese topping as we had some to use up but this works well with nutmeg buttercream.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Sounds really good
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 6,338 Posts
    • 23,989 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    So glad you're feeling better Redo.

Hope the weather has picked up for you xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds really good
    Originally posted by Mydmp
    It was, must make again. There is a squishy packed lunch orange on the worktop actually.

Hope the weather has picked up for you xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    It finally did thanks - sunshine all day yesterday

The sun was shining so I spent the day outside. The poly tunnel was scorching, evil ex stray was toasty hot and fast asleep upside down in one of the raised beds, tempting you to tickle her tummy. The key thing to remember when they are upside down like that is that five of the six ends are sharp The plug plants are doing nicely, far better than last years for no obvious reason.

OH chopped lots of wood for me which got sorted into wood burner or green waste and sorted a pile of stuff into junk or sculpture metal so at least some of it can go, DS1 did the lawns and DS2 ran the shredder. One green waste bin is full, the other is nearly which is great but not in terms of getting much more done. The patio looks far better for the joint efforts. The boys have to do jobs for their pocket money so they were pleased with the extra cash.

I had a poke about in the old fruit plot, its choked with ivy and creeping thistle that comes in from next door but I have found six strawberry plants and enough raspberry canes to transplant. Once that is done then I think the most sensible option is to cut it all down to a few inches and then use weedkiller. The creeping thistle is a nightmare as it spreads via white fleshy roots, and every inch of root is a new plant and its really easy to miss some. I've been fighting it for a couple of years now but its slowly moving across the garden and will cross the path into the veg plot next so its time to reluctantly use the chemicals and then leave that bit empty till next year.

WM x 2, TD on, DW about to go on, and the dehumidifier running. yes, its free electricity Sunday
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 12,899 Posts
    • 222,662 Thanks
    greenbee
    I seem to remember that last year's plug plants weren't in great condition when they arrived (at least mine weren't). Mine then suffered from neglect when I was away for work, so only a small proportion survived.

Well done on getting so much done in the garden. I'm halfway through doing the second cut on the lawn today although it's overcast and damp out there - I didn't have the energy for a second go yesterday. I've lowered the mower blades, and at this level the grass is thick, still damp and full of moss, so it's slow going as the mower keeps clogging. Still once it's done, I should be able to keep it under control.

No free electricity here today, but washing being done so I can drop my ironing off later. I need to remember to pack. ANd book a taxi to the station for tomorrow morning... and learn my presentation script!
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 10,052 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It was, must make again. There is a squishy packed lunch orange on the worktop actually.
    If this is like the Nigella clementine recipe, you can also microwave the citrus fruit which I find a bit less faff than boiling them. I stick them with a knife a couple of times and put them in on full power til they smell cooked - think less than 5 mins usually does it.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor

The poly tunnel was scorching, evil ex stray was toasty hot and fast asleep upside down in one of the raised beds, tempting you to tickle her tummy. The key thing to remember when they are upside down like that is that five of the six ends are sharp The plug plants are doing nicely, far better than last years for no obvious reason.

OH chopped lots of wood for me which got sorted into wood burner or green waste and sorted a pile of stuff into junk or sculpture metal so at least some of it can go, DS1 did the lawns and DS2 ran the shredder. One green waste bin is full, the other is nearly which is great but not in terms of getting much more done. The patio looks far better for the joint efforts. The boys have to do jobs for their pocket money so they were pleased with the extra cash.
    to the cat with five sharp ends. Well done on the joint gardening effort, it's lovely seeing progress made .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 44,825 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Just catching up with you and it sounds like you've made some great progress on the garden - you put me to shame, not started mine yet.

Have a lovely day and here's to a fantastic week ahead!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £21.63
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,658 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    about the cat with the sharp ends!

The gardening planning is coming on and hooray to free leccy Sunday!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    to the cat with five sharp ends..
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    about the cat with the sharp ends! !
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Stolen from this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon years ago, its a standard line between me and my siblings.

No garden progress today as it has gone cold and then wet again, lots of housework done instead. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers so the ironing all got done
    Last edited by redofromstart; 15-04-2018 at 8:26 PM.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,573 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Very busy you have been Redo , glad you got in the garden again. Would be great to see photos when it's all done.

Sorry to hear you had a migraine, not nice I am sure.

I love your meals, just what I would eat.

Have a good week, hopefully in the better weather .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    If this is like the Nigella clementine recipe, you can also microwave the citrus fruit which I find a bit less faff than boiling them. I stick them with a knife a couple of times and put them in on full power til they smell cooked - think less than 5 mins usually does it.
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa, that's useful to know.
    I made a Ginger Crunch instead which is ginger shortbread with ginger fudge icing. There was a version in the vegan book I bought the other day and the idea appealed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,512Users online

Martin's Twitter