Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,594Posts
    • 9,481Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 59
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,037 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done. That looks beautifully prepped
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Wow you have been busy! And what a lovely, stone wall!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 15/04/2018: £568.60
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Wow good work Redo, no wonder you're tired! And I agree about the stone wall SSG.

Keeping Faith is BRILLIANT, DH and I were riveted and my mum and sister loved it too. Prepare to binge watch as it's so exciting!
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    I watched the entire thing over the weekend HHoD Can you recommend anymore? Obviously I should be getting work done, but I'm prepared to multi-task
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    There aren't that many things as good as that Greenbee, the last thing I watched that kept me that riveted was Broadchurch. Although Dr Foster is very good, they did a second series of that recently .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Not a huge TV fan at the best of times, I'd far rather be reading. I ended up watching half of Singing in the Rain so at least the ironing is now done.

Very wet here today so an enforced rest day, probably a good thing as I am aching from all the garden stuff. I might head off out shortly and see if I can get some seed potatoes now that I actyually have a planting space ready.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'd rather be reading too, but TV works when you're doing something else and can't read. Like ironing (not that I do that) or fiddling about with graphics on slides for work.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The shopping didn't start off well, very little choice in potatoes in Wilkos and over priced soft fruit. Was tempted by a fig tree at £2.50. I have the perfect full sun stone house wall spot but the rules are 'clear the space first'. The £shop did have raspberries (and blueberries) but I am going to see if I can salvage any raspberry canes from the old plot first. All the strawberries I have seen are dry roots and I have never had much success with dry root plants. The seed potatoes are sending out major spindle shoots and are tiny. Meh says I, and promptly fitter £2.50 on a book ('How to live more with Less') on the way back to the car.

First big chain garden centre sells very expensive seed potatoes, and expensive lunches and expensive jumpers. Not many actual plants.

The tiny independent nursery round the corner from it made me happy. Loose seed potatoes, lots of varieties in proper hessian sacks. Loose peas and beans too. A total spend of £2.32 got me 8 x (perfect hen egg sized) salad potatoes, 8 x earlies, and enough broad beans, runner bean and peas seeds to get me through the season. Lots of nice veg seedlings too, so if mine don't germinate I know where to go. Strawberry plants at £1.25 which I may yet be tempted by. And a lovely friendly ginger cat who decided to be my new best friend all the way round. Happy days. Now I just need the garden to dry out enough to do something with them - fog and flooding round these parts today.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    Soggy here too. Water levels in the stream are high and it's too wet to mow.

I should probably go and chop a few logs and some kindling and go for a walk as I've barely moved all day and need a break before trying to finish my many slide decks.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope you can salvage your raspberry canes redo. The little independent nursery sounds spot on! And a free furry shopping companion as well!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Still raining so no chance to check for strawberry plants, raspberry canes or even think about putting the potatoes in.

Low fuel light came on half way to school, should have spotted that when I was out and about yesterday. I could fill up at the services down the road and pay £5 more or I could nip to the outskirts of the big city and fill up at the cheap stupidmarket pumps but potentially get suckered into buying things. It's never easy is it? The price of poor planning on my part.

Beef cubes out defrosting ready for a beef and mushroom casserole later. It is that kind of weather today.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Decided to go and get fuel but couldn't find my purse anywhere, cue much panic. Thought over where I had been yesterday and remembered calling into the co-op on the way back. Dashed to the co-op and some lovely person had handed it in, with the contents intact - there are some very nice people out there.

Nipped over to the edge of the city to the big MrT petrol (10p per litre cheaper), and bought some ok black jogging pants in Mat'lan. Why when they do not fit in my 'love' category? Because I am ruining my lovely (and sadly discontinued) jeans in the garden, so a £6 investment in practicality.

I also frittered another £3.50 on a vegan cookbook, Beautifully Real Food by Sam Murphy. Need to stop the frittering now but one of those where you see multiple things you want to try and the same price as a magazine, (she says trying to self justify non essential spends, and a slippery slope into excess).

The green waste bin stickers finally arrived, as did the gardening book - both took over a fortnight to arrive! They wouldn't collect the bins on Friday without the stickers so that is one stress less, as long as it stops raining long enough to apply them.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    So pleased you got your purse back - yes there are lovely people out there as I found out from my own wallet fiasco the other day.

The Joggers are a sensible, worthwhile buy. It's a crime to ruin well loved clothes that you feel good in - like your jeans!

Hope the weather improves tomorrow so you can get back in the garden.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I wear scruffy trackies to do gardening in as I don't want to ruin my best or even my second best jeans. £6 well spent I would say.

We were lucky with our weather today so hopefully the sunshine willhead your way soon.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Fog and mist and a short but intense headache of suitably thunderous proportions late morning have pretty much stopped play again today. The jogging pants remain unsullied. I went back to bed (which I never do), and the worst of the headache is gone but I still feel sick and dizzy so no plans to do anything constructive other than collect the boys from school.

HHOD, hope the severe weather warning doesn't impact on you?

Was looking at these Red lentil wraps here and really want to try making them but not today. I've managed to get the DW on but today will be ping tea from the freezer.

Went to MrM first thing, and was a little irritated to see that although the signs for the wonky veg are still there, the shelves are now empty, or worse still have been filled with expensive alternatives. The tray of Wonky cauliflowers at 60 odd pence actually contained similarly packaged organic ones at £2 a pop for example.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 22,448 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Booo to the bad head Redo, hope you're feeling better soon xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,037 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sounds like migraine. I hope you feel better soon.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Booo to both migraine and disguised veg. Hope you are feeling better.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Fog and mist and a short but intense headache of suitably thunderous proportions late morning have pretty much stopped play again today. The jogging pants remain unsullied. I went back to bed (which I never do), and the worst of the headache is gone but I still feel sick and dizzy so no plans to do anything constructive other than collect the boys from school.

HHOD, hope the severe weather warning doesn't impact on you?

Was looking at these Red lentil wraps here and really want to try making them but not today. I've managed to get the DW on but today will be ping tea from the freezer.

Went to MrM first thing, and was a little irritated to see that although the signs for the wonky veg are still there, the shelves are now empty, or worse still have been filled with expensive alternatives. The tray of Wonky cauliflowers at 60 odd pence actually contained similarly packaged organic ones at £2 a pop for example.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Your headache does sound like a migraine. Hope you feel better soon.

It's been warm and sunny all day Redo . Maybe severe weather will hit us overnight.

Wonky veg is clearly very popular. It makes you wonder who can afford organic . Do they disguise the expensive veg as cheap veg deliberately do you think? Or is it inept staff?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks DIA and mummytogirls - it is indeed migraine. Luckily I rarely have them these days.

INOD made a great point on DIAs thread about the projection of coping, and the way that can make others feel which really struck a cord with me. On that basis I have to confess that the boys had tinned hot dogs in reduced finger rolls for dinner which they ate at their computers. They were delighted. I did make them have (RTC wonky) strawberries and raspberries for pudding so not entirely without nutritional value.

The house is a tip, the dogs have run mud everywhere and I haven't hoovered for days. I would be mortified if the meter reader came (which is why we have smart meters). My joints hurt and I haven't wet washed my hair for days either and certainly couldn't manage today. My jeans have mud on them and I CBA to get changed. My point is that I am ok with that, and I would hate anyone reading to think I have everything under control and that my shiny clean children sit at a table every night and eat lovely food lovingly presented by their elegant mother, and measure themselves against that projection.

Sometimes its ok to be a bit rubbish at things. Today was one of those days for me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin