Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,594Posts
    • 9,481Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 58
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 8th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    One bucket a day, and you might not be so sore.

Well done on the tip run!

Tipping down here, so nothing done in the garden (so glad I did the mowing yesterday, but it's going to grow faster than I can cut it if it keeps raining!), but have done laundry and some work instead. I have 4 slide decks to put together and I'm feeling uninspired by the available graphics. There are only so many combinations I can put them into...
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    One bucket a day, and you might not be so sore.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I know but the plot has to be cleared for the potatoes to go in, and the soft fruit or it'll be too late again. Its not far off now, and once the roots are out I can get the rotavator out.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 8th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    In that case, one bucket then a break. And enlist some child labour.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    In that case, one bucket then a break. And enlist some child labour.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Agree on the child labour!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 15/04/2018: £568.60
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on the tip trip, I love carting clutter to the tip . I'm fed up with having two guinea pig cages in my bedroom (don't ask) so I'm going to nag DH to go to the tip tomorrow.

Sometimes rain can be a blessing and not a curse. A bucket and then a longish rest is probably the way to go. Child labour is great in theory, but if they're anything like my lazy layabouts then they'll only do it at gun point and I don't own a gun .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Oooh You sound exceptionally busy and food and garden all sounding good.

Did you get a new microwave in the end - or are you living without for a bit?

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Mine only work for payment, and I'd rather the job was done well and I had the cash for plants.

The (soon to be) productive plot is maybe 10ft by 15ft now that I have trimmed the roses back. I've cleared 4ft x 10ft to lumpy soil stage, so that is ready for rotavating. Its fairly heavy/clay that has had a lot of manure added over the last ten years. It started to rain again so I had to stop. Another bucket of roots out though, hurrah.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart

Did you get a new microwave in the end - or are you living without for a bit?

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    I got one from Am-zn using my SB vouchers in the end. Hated making DS1s porridge in a pan, haven't got time to stand and stir in the morning.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I was doing the ironing with the iplayer ready to roll. Got ten minutes into 'ordeal by innocence' had to switch it off. So far off on the characters it was painful. Just utterly wrong. Meh!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I was doing the ironing with the iplayer ready to roll. Got ten minutes into 'ordeal by innocence' had to switch it off. So far off on the characters it was painful. Just utterly wrong. Meh!
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    It's one of the few Agatha Christie books that I haven't actually read. I've only seen the other TV version a few years ago when they inserted Miss Marple into the story as the bride to be's friend! It was the Geraldine McEwan Marple and not the wonderful Joan Hickson. And certainly the current version of the bride to be is nothing at all like the other TV version. I'll stick with it as I haven't read the book but must admit that the later adaptations of all her books tend to be 'sexed' up a bit for more modern times.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the book, but it gets very mixed reviews elsewhere. I love the Joan Hickson marples, they are my default ironing dvds. It probably helps that I watched them with my mum all those years ago, long before I read the books.

The beef worked well again, only a couple of bits left to use up now but clearly pot roasting is the answer to the tough beef problem.

More done outside than I expected despite the rain, and the little baby plants survived the night happily under the horticultural fleece in the tunnel.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I've got the Joan Hickson DVD's too as well as all the Poirots! I agree that they're great ironing watching.

I caught up with Classic Mary Berry this afternoon - am going to try her version of Irish Stew next weekend - it looked delish!

You're going great guns on the gardening!

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 22,448 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    You'll be feeling it tomorrow Redo with all the lugging about youve been doing! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,713 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I haven't watched it yet but that doesn't sound promising. It's one of my favourite books.

I watched a David Suchet Poirot once where they changed the identity of the murderer, I was really incensed .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I haven't watched it yet but that doesn't sound promising. It's one of my favourite books.

I watched a David Suchet Poirot once where they changed the identity of the murderer, I was really incensed .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I don't want to put anybody off, but Gwenda Vaughan is portrayed as an oversexed inappropriately dressed dominant bully in the first few minutes, Philip is perving at Hester, and then one of the male characters self harming then that was enough for me. More what I would expect of some rubbish soap than Agatha.

I still need to do the ironing

Predictably rather stiff this morning.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 218,878 Thanks
    greenbee
    I watched Keeping Faith & The City & The City on iplayer last night while working. Might be worth a try...
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    [IMG][/IMG]

Half of the veg plot ready for planting. Suitably shattered now, and its raining so I cant do any more.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 9th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Chrystal
    WOW! Wish my soil looked like that
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hello Chrystal. It was rough turned with a spade, and then a couple of passes with this. Its a miracle worker for me.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    hello Chrystal. It was rough turned with a spade, and then a couple of passes with this. Its a miracle worker for me.
    ooh, that looks a very handy thing to know about

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin