Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,674Posts
    • 10,007Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 49
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Mar 18, 2:52 AM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 219,805 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done. On both eating real food and getting some clearing done.

I'm staying with friends, and as usual food is carb-heavy and veg light, but we haven't been snacking or drinking much. Not much walking but at 45 minute spin class this morning and booked for the same tomorrow and Sunday. I'm contemplating buying some cheap leggings if I see any to take to San Francisco as there's a spinning studio not far from the conference. Sadly there isn't one of the same chain near the office in Texas so I'll stick with running there - I can't be doing with setting up yet more apps and accounts.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Mar 18, 8:10 AM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 37,309 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm another one who needs to get back into a regular cleaning/decluttering routine. I start the week well then it all goes downhill. I love the idea of flylady and have tried it several times. It's hard for me to keep on top of the housework when I work full time, have Mr SA crashing about the house all day, a dog that throws all the cushions off the sofa and a cat constantly in and out of the house leaving muddy paw prints everywhere.

Your cat stories make me laugh, I'm down to just one cat now plus a small dog. I bought the cat a comfy bed but she prefers to stretch out in the dog's much larger bed.

I'm having a go at the lentil loaf this weekend so thanks for the recipe. I think it's brilliant how you take the time to post your recipes.

Have a fab weekend
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just catching up with your diary. Agree with SA on how well you do to write down your recipes for us on top of all you do. If you ever, ever get the time I think a redo blog would be in order!

Great news on the de-cluttering! It makes so much of a difference doesn't it when you have nice clear spaces to live with. It just makes you feel so much more peaceful. I know it can then make you look at your home and think hmm now we need to redecorate etc, but that can all be taken care of in time. I do hope your OH and the boys follow your lead in keeping things up to scratch.

Re the felines - you're right - they hate having their little hidey-holes removed. DD and I were looking through some of the photos she has taken of her cats over the years. Sadly one has gone to the big cardboard box heaven for cats in the sky but the other one still makes good by lying over keyboards, etc. We did laugh at one photo where dear little ginger feline decided to stick her head inside a plastic bag - she lay there for about twenty minutes not moving. Obviously thinking, ha ha nobody can see me, but forgetting that 85% of her was still visible.....
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    [CONOR=red]MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 36!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    [/COLOR]
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    One of those busy days where you move constantly but nothing much actually gets done. Visitors which killed the afternoon, but it was lovely to not have to crisis clean this morning.

A rare sighting of our other young ginger, he was catnapped by elderly chap last year and we very rarely see him. Hope elderly chap is ok, but the rest of the cats had hysterics at the stranger in our midst and I ended up with an accidental scratched lip rescuing him from the situation. We had a nice purr and a fuss outside instead. I don't know how we will re-integrate him as he was the dominant male and is much better at thumping than his fluffy brother. Fluffy ginger arrived with his abscess burst so that was pleasant. One of those days when you wish you hadn't given in to quite so many kittens.

I did bake this morning for our visitors, coconut macaroons and peanut butter cookies - both gluten free.

Sun Addict I have good intentions with cleaning and tidying but then give up when work gets busy, so just do the minimum for hygiene and then it all slides again. Current plan is to have at least the next few weeks off but it may all slide again as my work is usually urgent start.
    Seaside I thought about a blog when I took VR, but I think for a good blog you really have to post regularly, and make 'pretty' food (not my skill set at all). It was just too complicated, and very few of them seem to last beyond a few years. I'd also be paranoid about having no followers, I minded less the idea of an unread diary on here if that makes sense.

The dishes are all in the DW, and the WM is loaded ready for the 'free' electricity in the morning. I've dashed around making sure the ground floor is at least as clean as it was when I went to bed last night, and OH/boys have gathered empty plates from around the house without being asked

Couple of pounds of cashback cleared, a small payout requested from PA and a short study done for them. Birthday cash, chocolate, wine and bath stuff arrived with my visitors which was lovely.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I like this free electricity Sunday. You seem to be on top of the cleaning and organising right now.
    Loving the new instalment of the cat chronicles
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 10th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam

Happy Birthday :-)

Emergency Fund Challenge
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks, mine was two weeks ago, but this was the bi-annual visit when the parentals drop things off and try not to comment on the state of the garden.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Happy Mother's Day redo! Heres to an excellent day with the family.

Hope poor fluffy is on the mend after the nasty abscess burst - and that his long lost bruv is getting on a bit better today with his other cat compatriots!

[/COLOR]
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 22,538 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy Mothers Day redo xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Happy Mother's Day redo. X
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks - its a very low key event round here as it lands bang in the middle of an expensive run of birthdays.

Poor DS1 still has his nasty cold - worst one I have known him have actually, I don't think he has been out of bed for more than half an hour since Thursday.

Salad for lunch, and pot roast beef for dinner. Salad worked very well - rocket and cucumber drizzled with lemon/oil dressing, potato salad with horseradish mayo, and then flaked oven poached salon and prawns on top. Served in big white pasta bowls, rare pretty food.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Your salad sounds completely delicious Redo
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    It was nice, apart from all that nasty green stuff starmummy

DIA - just looked at the BG website and I average 5 pounds of free on 'free' sundays. It'll be a shame when the tariff ends as it has worked out well for us, I don't think they do it anymore.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It was nice, apart from all that nasty green stuff starmummy

DIA - just looked at the BG website and I average 5 pounds of free on 'free' sundays. It'll be a shame when the tariff ends as it has worked out well for us, I don't think they do it anymore.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    What a shame. I would have loved it. Such a good idea and something to organise around. I would have have made sure I got my money's worth as you seemed to!
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    DIA, too right, I save power intensive things till Sunday and its the only time I am actually warm. Its why I usually batch bake, pot roast etc on Sundays.

Today I can not cook at all, all skill gone. V annoying. Needed to make some bits for OH to take to work tomorrow, but the jam slice had gone to toffee (although I salvaged the middle) and the date thing just needs binning as it is inedible. Should have been eating out but DS1 is still ill, so we had steak from the freezer and even that wasn't great. Such a waste of ingredients
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 37,309 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Boo to culinary crisis - a temporary glitch I'm sure.

Made the lentil loaf yesterday - very nice it was too
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I do not believe that YOU cannot cook!

[/COLOR]
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks sunaddict and seaside, it happens sometimes and I will just avoid baking for a little bit.

Tidied the freezer this morning, really scarily empty for me. Its a huge (ancient) chest freezer and it is used to be a giant tetris game fitting anything new in but the lack of reductions in the co-op/MrL combined with some very poor quality stuff from MrM and MrT means I just haven't been buying meat lately. There are a few one meal tubs (lunches usually) but only 13 meal building units (eg pack of sausages) which has to be the lowest it has ever been, including when we ran out of credit card limit at the height of the famine. On the positive side at least there isn't a huge amount of cash in the freezer, and I found another bag of chopped peppers lurking.

There is some cheese in the freezer (grated and 1 mozarella) which is good as we only have feta and halloumi left in the fridge.

Chicken thighs and a small bit of chorizo out to defrost with the intention of making hairy dieters spanish chicken

DS2 has to make something mince based at school on Friday. I haven't got any, and he doesn't like handling meat at all. I am tempted to get him to make a lentil based thing instead, unless the village co-op has veggie mince.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I love the Hairy Dieters Spanish Chicken! Yum - got me thinking now of making it for the weekend!

The school shouldn't expect their pupils to create meat dishes if they are veggie or have an aversion to meat. I think the lentil dish would suffice - less expensive to make than buying the veggie mince I would think.

[/COLOR]
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 10,007 Thanks
    redofromstart
    DS2 isn't keen on cooking (or eating) anything tbh seaside, it took him two hours to prep one pepper and five cherry toms for salsa last time. They were mathematically neat slices though

I've managed a whole tub trug of weeds out of the front garden before the cold got to me. Former stray followed me round chatting, and when I looked back at the house three furry sentinels were sat in a row on the dining room window ledge anxiously watching my progress. They do like to keep an eye on me. Hope its a little warmer tomorrow as the green waste bins get emptied on Friday. We pay enough for the service so I need to maximise the return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin