Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,678Posts
    • 10,073Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 47
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 3rd Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Tomorrow we will need to make a test flan in the new tin. Must give that some thought. Also plan to roast the squashes and make some soup. I'd have less of an excuse to eat things I shouldn't if there was something nice to eat.

Visitors today so I baked.
    Coconut macaroons: 3oz sugar and one egg. Mix together till fluffy. Add in 5oz desecrated coconut. Drop teaspoons onto a greased/lined tray. 12 minutes at 180. Let them cool a little or they stick. Works well with ground almonds instead. Gluten free so useful.

Apple and Blackberry slice
    6oz plain flour, 1oz sugar, 4oz butter whizzed to breadcrumbs in the food processor. Line a small tray - mine is 18cm x 15cm. Tip two thirds of the breadcrumbs into the lined tin. Spread them out and then squash down with a fish slice to make a nice thin compacted shortbread style base. Save the other third for the crumble topping. If you haven't got enough to fill your tin use it all and make another small batch for the topping. Put the base in at 180 for 12 minutes. Let it cool.
    Peel, core and chop some cooking apples (4 here as I wanted a good wodge of apple), sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice. Add nutmeg and cinnamon to the crumble topping and to the apples. Stew the apples with a spoonful of water and a knob of butter while the base cooks/cools. Taste test for sweetness and add more sugar if you think it needs it. You want stewed but holding shape apples.
    Once the base has cooled spread on a layer of blackberry jam. Add the stewed apples and spread them out. Sprinkle the remains of the spiced crumble mix on top. Back into the oven for 20 minutes at 180.
    Let it cool in the pan, then lift it out using the lining paper. I cut it into inch cubes as they are quite sweet.

I made these the other day as a coconut jam slice, using the base, damson jam and then the coconut macaroon mix spread on top. That worked well too, 15 minutes at 180.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Reading you diary from the beginning. Really enjoying it. These recipes sound so easy and so good. Thank you for sharing
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 3rd Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Your food sounds amazing. I love reading diaries about becoming debt free or paying mortgages off that also mention food and recipes. Total winner for me
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    ....... and me
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hi mydmp and thanks. Oddly enough I used that slice recipe today. I have a few limes knocking about in the fridge (super 6 I think) so I made lime curd and used that in the middle instead of the jam, and added lots of coconut to the top crumble to make lime and coconut slice as I couldn't find quite what I wanted recipe wise. It worked really well but next time I would double the curd quantities. It would be nice with basic/value lemon curd too I think.

Trying to use up what we have and keeping food balanced is quite entertaining. Fruit toast and juice for breakfast both days so that was ok. Carrot sticks with bread and stuff for lunches. Yesterdays dinner had lentils, peas, carrots, peppers, onions, sultanas and tomatoes so that was ok. I am saving the last couple of potatoes, cabbage, carrots and frozen parsnips to go with pot roast beef tomorrow so I had to be a little more inventive for dinner tonight. The freezer is full of multiples of the same things but there are a few bits of salmon so I did this chilli ginger salmon served on a bed of this lemon and onion couscous which used up the last few tomatoes, mint off the window ledge, a couple of the (pre-christmas) shallots, a soggy orange from OHs work bag and one of the lemons. I used the home made stem ginger and syrup which worked really well. Nice strong flavours, and on reflection I could have sneaked some diced peppers in with the shallots for some extra colour. Clean plates all round, and of course the coconut lime thing for pudding. DS1 likes it so that's good.

Breakfast tomorrow will include the mushrooms, and baked beans so we are ok there. I could get some soup out for lunch which would add another portion.

Not sure how many potatoes there are, but we have had the tinned ones roasted before, if you add oil and some flavouring they are quite edible.

ETA also have remembered dried apricots in baking box so can do stuffed apricots with some of the Gorgonzola for snacking. Yum
    Last edited by redofromstart; 03-03-2018 at 7:16 PM.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hello creditcardjunkie
    mummytogirls, I found a pack of mozarella lurking in the freezer too. We wouldn't want to run out after all.
    cumbria/INOD its been a lot warmer today fortunately, hope it was for you too
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your food always sounds so good. You utilise what you have in stores so well

Have a relaxing evening.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 219,860 Thanks
    greenbee
    Did you eat any of it?
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi redo - I’ve made a note of that lovely lentil loaf recipe of yours and am going to give it a try this week as it sounds delicious. Will also have a look at the budget cookbook.

I had to wander up to the little Co-op this afternoon - got my favourite lighter Lurpak spreadable on offer and some mince for my chili tonight - and managed to nab the last wholemeal loaf! My friend went to the little local Tesco yesterday and said there was no meat and hardly any veg!

I do hope the little pile of snow has disappeared from the inside of your kitchen door! It is definitely is less cold at our end today and the snow seems to be melting thank goodness.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 1:10 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Have spent all afternoon and evening reading your diary from the beginning. Really good read and lots of delicious sounding recipes. Definitely going to be giving some of them a go. We tend to hoard food items so have lots of stores to use up.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks DIA
    Seaside the air vent for the boiler is in the back door, so its always cold there. I cleared the snow away in the end. Much warmer today, I'm actually taking layers off this morning.
    Greenbee - some of it
    mydmp I do like a spot of useful food hoarding if it makes good economic sense. I do try not to have more than three months worth of anything unless it was unmissable (pennies or free).

Busy maximising return on 'free' electricity Sunday with the plug in heaters, dehumidifier, DW, WM and TD on. No excuse to be cold this side of 5.

Breakfast made - scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. The co-op mixed weight value eggs are huge this time which is a result. Sometimes they are tiny.

Beef defrosted for later, need to see if it looks ok for pot roasting otherwise I need to rethink the menu. Will make another lentil loaf - with cumin seed, turmeric, peppers and mushrooms this time.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I like the look of that lentil loaf, will have a go at it. I used to make the nut loaf from one of the threads on here (Weezl???) and it was delicious.

You're encouraging me to use up my stocks
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the look of that lentil loaf, will have a go at it. I used to make the nut loaf from one of the threads on here (Weezl???) and it was delicious.

You're encouraging me to use up my stocks
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    This one from cheap family recipes?

You can still see the whole site here: http://cheap-family-recipes.org/

I'm still trying to remember where the cheese and lentil one came from It might be this one actually. Or this one

Good job I bought more lentils
    Last edited by redofromstart; 04-03-2018 at 8:06 PM.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks DIA
    Seaside the air vent for the boiler is in the back door, so its always cold there. I cleared the snow away in the end. Much warmer today, I'm actually taking layers off this morning.
    Greenbee - some of it
    mydmp I do like a spot of useful food hoarding if it makes good economic sense. I do try not to have more than three months worth of anything unless it was unmissable (pennies or free).

Busy maximising return on 'free' electricity Sunday with the plug in heaters, dehumidifier, DW, WM and TD on. No excuse to be cold this side of 5.

Breakfast made - scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. The co-op mixed weight value eggs are huge this time which is a result. Sometimes they are tiny.

Beef defrosted for later, need to see if it looks ok for pot roasting otherwise I need to rethink the menu. Will make another lentil loaf - with cumin seed, turmeric, peppers and mushrooms this time.
    Agree about the Co-op eggs - they certainly vary - almost quail like sometimes!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That was it - cheap family recipes

Loving lentils even more now they're point free on WW (loved them anyway)
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,481 Thanks
    sashybo
    Oh I remember Weezl & cheap family recipes too, I still use the onion tart tatin recipe. Will need to check the rest of them out again.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,362 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £50,880
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1200, Car loans £22,591.72

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the onion tart tartin too sashybo

Good timing to re-find it actually as I have had to part with £122 in the vets Poor ginger fluff pants and that blasted tom again.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 219,860 Thanks
    greenbee
    Does he have a loyalty card?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Greenbee he is the only one who gets a Christmas card from the vets

Food shopping this morning, few bits I couldn't get but overall the shelves seemed to have been restocked.

MrM have their excellent 'best' Mariola potatoes on offer at £1 per 2kg. These are really lovely tasting so I got two bags. I'd have bought them at full price too, well worth it for them to taste of something unlike nectar, estima, melody, etc. No 'wonky' stuff on the shelves other than parsnips and I still have some of those in the freezer. Got orange juice, sultanas, lentils, leeks (DS1 soup school), broccoli, carrots, red onions, bananas, plums, tomatoes, peppers and cucumber so plenty of F&V to be going on with.

Need to work out the numbers as I bought over three budgets but it wasn't too bad.

£10 SB voucher ordered, and prolific had a little flurry which generated £4 worth this afternoon,

Jacket potatoes, sausage and peas (swirled in the empty butter tub) this evening, easy but popular.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Where does the time go?

Some years ago now I had a tiny cluttered house in urgent need of redecoration before we sold it, two toddlers, and an OH who was never there because of work. I only worked two days myself at that point, and the boys went to nursery so I was never on my own to get on with things. Nursery did an offer that allowed me to book an 8 week block of one extra morning to use some funding for not that much which bought me some free time. I used that time so productively that at the end of the 8 weeks the house was clean, tidy, decluttered, painted and ready to sell. I did that in the 4.5 hours of nursery time each week, and once it was done I could stay on top of it.

I know you can transform a house from a tip to presentable in a few hours a week. I have done it before. So I can't see why I can't make myself do it on this one. It just isn't happening. No 'mojo' whatsoever.

Meh!

Looking back what was different?

I was younger, had more energy and didn't have the delights of fibro to contend with - and I can't do anything about that other than eating properly and actually looking after myself, to which end I have made a doctors appointment this afternoon instead of just ignoring the problem.

Nobody helps, everybody hinders. Last time the boys were little and I didn't mind so much. OH still works long hours. SS trails through leaving a mess everywhere. None of them mind about the mess, they can't even see it. There are politics to all of that that I don't propose to attempt to address again but what I can do it stop putting negative energy into being upset about it, and use that energy to drive the changes that I want. Previous experience says when I start doing stuff OH and DS1 will eventually, slowly join in. Be happy about what is done, rather than angry about having to do things seems fairly key.

There was a sense of urgency. Nursery was costing, and we wanted to move so I had to use the time productively. I dropped them off at 8am and by ten past I was working on the house and I didn't stop until ten minutes before I had to pick them up. No cups of teas, no five minute sit down, or spending longer choosing a CD than I did doing some work. Now I come back, make a cup of tea, have a quick look at t'internet and before you know it oh look its lunchtime. I justify this to myself by 'not watching TV' or I am doing surveys/SBs but actually that generates very nominal amounts. Its nice to do, not a replacement for income or effort into the house. There is a huge opportunity cost to me being at home and I need to use the time productively. I am procrastinating, even now writing this, when I could be doing an hour before I have to go out.

Right, WM is on and I need to do the DW. It didn't get in this mess overnight and it isn't going to change overnight, but every hour should be made to count.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Where does the time go?

Some years ago now I had a tiny cluttered house in urgent need of redecoration before we sold it, two toddlers, and an OH who was never there because of work. I only worked two days myself at that point, and the boys went to nursery so I was never on my own to get on with things. Nursery did an offer that allowed me to book an 8 week block of one extra morning to use some funding for not that much which bought me some free time. I used that time so productively that at the end of the 8 weeks the house was clean, tidy, decluttered, painted and ready to sell. I did that in the 4.5 hours of nursery time each week, and once it was done I could stay on top of it.

I know you can transform a house from a tip to presentable in a few hours a week. I have done it before.

I was younger, had more energy and didn't have the delights of fibro to contend with - and I can't do anything about that other than eating properly and actually looking after myself, to which end I have made a doctors appointment this afternoon instead of just ignoring the problem.

There was a sense of urgency. Nursery was costing, and we wanted to move so I had to use the time productively. I dropped them off at 8am and by ten past I was working on the house There is a huge opportunity cost to me being at home and I need to use the time productively. I am procrastinating, even now writing this, when I could be doing an hour before I have to go out.

Right, WM is on and I need to do the DW. It didn't get in this mess overnight and it isn't going to change overnight, but every hour should be made to count.
    Glad you have made a GP appointment.
    This post is so inspiring to me. The good news is you have done it once so you can do it again. As you say you may have to allow a bit of give because you have less energy but if anyone can find a way. You can.
    The highlighted sections spoke to me personally and are motivating to my situation.
    Go Redo, Go
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Not a great day to start in terms of time, but the time I had free got used. Sock mountain matched, and put away and some general cleaning done before I sat on my bum for hours in the hairdressers and doctors. Now I have to do some work for tomorrow, and then at least I can de-clutter the dining table (and my head) of project related stuff ready to drop off tomorrow.

Dinner involves chicken in some form. Might do the hairy bikers fast curry rice thing again as that would use the curry paste and every little actual effort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin