Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,585Posts
    • 9,435Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 41
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Up since 3am with insomnia, school run and food shopping makes for a very weary day. Is it bedtime yet? I am rubbish at napping. I admired the inside of my eye lids for ten minutes till one of the dogs had a good woof and then I gave up. Its too cold to stay still anyway.

If anybody else is after paint our B&M home store had various tins of dulux reduced to £9, including (sadly) an empty space for 'muddy puddle'.

No frittering but lots of F&V bought in Aldee, including a turnip. Haven't seen a real turnip for years, was disproportionately excited by this. Just need to decide what to do with it.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 5th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 7,177 Thanks
    117pauline
    I am sure when I was young, muddy puddle was a drink!

It's rather nice to give pets a character. My squirrels are mummy, daddy and baby although I have no idea if they are. I can identify them from the way they come into garden. Daddy is a bit of a daring type who prefers to eat upside down, swaying in the wind. The baby chases around the garden having fun.

I can sympathise about lack of sleep. It really does colour the rest of the day, doesn't it?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I love turnips. i think the slight purple tinge is beautiful and they taste gorgeous too.
    Muddle puddle is a great name
    Sorry you had difficulty sleeping
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 5th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 8,410 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Sympathise with Insomnia Redo - a frequent visitor here really wish I could catnap like some people can.
    What's a real turnip as compared to one that is only pretending to be one?
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 11,204 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope you manage some sleep tonight redo.

Turnips - always remind me of Baldrick from Blackadder. But you’re right - we don’t often see them sold now. Into the stew you go......!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 15/04/2018: £568.60
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry you had insomnia Redo, everything seems much more of a chore when you're lacking sleep.

Your house sounds beautiful and hopefully you'll be able to do it up one day and restore it to glory.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    redofromstart
    NOA - those nasty yellow swede things often get described as turnips the further north you go, I like white turnips but yellow swede should only be fed to cattle. Apologies to anyone who adores swede

Sleep thing is a pain Pauline, but at least it wasn't a working day.

Thanks DIA

I've mostly flopped about today and made little progress beyond putting the food shopping away. I did one of those looks like you made an effort but didn't really dinners of beef stew. DS1 made some dumplings, and sorted the mash as my hands go a bit wonky when I am tired so all I really did was tip some beef cubes and stock into a casserole dish mid afternoon and left it to work its magic.

Need to iron a couple of things, herd the animals in and out, and poke the boys to do whatever needs doing, and then drag myself up for a bath. .
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 9,037 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I think I'm only just figuring out how much sleep matters after years of cramming in study on top of full time job. Trying to prep for a job interview in just over a week and have got nothing done yesterday or today after sleeping very badly when I stayed at a friend's over the weekend. Always forget about the traffic noise at theirs.

Would earplugs help with the nap thing?

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 5th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Fingers crossed that tonight is better for you. I have a feeling that this week is going to be like treacle and I'll be dragging myself across the finish line come Friday.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Love Blackadder seaside
    I need inner dialogue earplugs mostly Rosa and probably to take the hated painkillers which numb all brain function
    HHoD it just knocks away the get up and go doesn't it?
    Mrs C is it your half term next week?

Better night for me luckily - good job as it was a half day in the office trying to look human. Struggling to respond politely to 'oh you are limping' and 'you don't look well' which is well meant but frustrating.

On the way in I called into the city B&M and got myself the last £7 tin of 'muddy puddle'. I was open to any taupe (mud) kind of colour so that was a good result. The green/blue of the other day will do the feature wall in the bathroom, living room and our bedroom, and the mud one will do the back hall nicely for a start. I've got enough washable white to put a freshen up coat on everywhere else. I just need some energy.

Need to think of something for dinner, sort packed lunches and finish the ironing. Or keep my fingers crossed for lots more snow overnight.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Dinner turned into a trip to the chippy. The head was willing but the body has given up

The current project has taken twice as long as it was supposed to, and involves a lot of driving which I usually avoid. I am shattered as a result. Go live currently scheduled for the end of the month and I am hoping for no more delays but out of my hands. Can't walk away halfway through the process and still have a reputation, nor would I do that to the humans concerned so I just have to keep plodding on.

DIA has made me think about my pricing going forward. I'd be better winning less work at a higher rate and not making myself ill actually. Need to think this through, but hopefully not at 3am.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 6th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Glad you had a better night. It is, and not a moment too soon. Everyone is flagging, which is quite unusual with such a short half-term.

Apart from stacking the DW and playing with laundry, I'm writing an application for OH and looking at an essay for a tutee I'll be working with tomorrow. If I can stay awake long enough to do any of the above.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It sounds like your present project has been a bit stressful for you. Projects can overrun and turn into a bit of a nightmare sometimes. I expect you'll be glad when it's finished.

Hope you sleep better again tonight. I suffer from over active mind syndrome at night sometimes .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your project sounds tough.

Wishing you a good night's sleep
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 12,497 Posts
    • 218,849 Thanks
    greenbee
    Definitely charge more. You know you're in demand, so charge consultancy rates, tell them what they should be doing and how to do it, provide some oversight, but make them do the work themselves.

I'm shattered, but my brain has got into writing mode. I'm torn between trying to shut it up and going to bed, and finding a bottle of wine and staying up until I've written everything I can!

No work meetings tomorrow - but I do have a 9am pilates class and a 4.30pm singing lesson. And MUST go for a run at some point. Thursday I need to get up early and try to get into the office before rush hour starts now I know the way as I have a 10am meeting with my boss and need to see HR, IT and various other people before I go out to see clients in the afternoon.

And the sewage treatment plant is playing up. We noticed yesterday, and thought we'd fixed it, but today it won't play ball... so neighbours have been informed to minimise what goes down the drains until the engineer arrives - it appears to be an electrical fault. Must get non-return valves fitted to my drains!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,378 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Insomnia is vile - I've never suffered until a few years ago when the anaemia kicked in and apparently this is a really common side effect - now that's fixed thank goodness I'm back to dropping off fairly easily most of the time - I'd not realised until it stopped how bad it was!

As for the work thing you need to strike a balance between charging what you know you're worth an finding a level you're comfortable with charging - but it certainly sounds like the balance is wrong at the moment.

Greenbee hope your sewage behaves itself!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 7th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 12,497 Posts
    • 218,849 Thanks
    greenbee
    Insomnia is a very common symptom of anaemia, along with restless legs, tinnitus, sores at the corners of your mouth, difficulty swallowing, reflux and headaches.

Thinking about it... I think I might need another blood test. Insomnia, restless legs and swallowing are all making themselves felt. No tinnitus thankfully!

Engineer has been and apparently everything is working. No idea what the fault was (which isn't helpful). Fingers crossed it keeps working as I want to go for a run then have a shower and do some laundry.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Great to see some of the lost diaries are back, hope they sort them all.

Cold and tired and sore so very little movement done. Twitchy left eyelid although the headache has finally gone away, hurrah.

Done:
    • rang current car insurers who promptly beat the price I'd found elsewhere so that saves having to prove no claims etc.
    • raised a formal complaint with B of T as they still haven't refunded the charges. I'd move elsewhere during cancellation period but am not risking no broadband again.
    • Chased Vf who still haven't responded to the complaint, Revolver says give them 14 days
    • Searched everywhere for missing V5, someone has been rummaging as there are a few things not in the right place in the key documents box. v annoying. Filled in a printed form instead as you can't SORN without renewal reminder (haven't had) or V5.
    • Filled in DS2s options form which he kindly told me had to be in by today on the way to school so I need to go early and drop that off
    • Re-arranged tomorrows driving meeting to next week which should help with the tiredness

ETA also established that our library does the 'press reader'app which gives access to all sorts of wonderful publications for free. I've flicked through some virtual magazines on the sofa and established that I am right not to waste money on them in the future. Must take ipad on school run to see if I can read the downloaded ones off line.
    Last edited by redofromstart; 07-02-2018 at 2:26 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great to see some of the lost diaries are back, hope they sort them all.
    [*]Filled in DS2s options form which he kindly told me had to be in by today on the way to school so I need to go early and drop that off
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    It's great about the diaries reappearing

Kids

I hope you feel a bit better soon Redo.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,378 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Insomnia is a very common symptom of anaemia, along with restless legs, tinnitus, sores at the corners of your mouth, difficulty swallowing, reflux and headaches.

Thinking about it... I think I might need another blood test. Insomnia, restless legs and swallowing are all making themselves felt. No tinnitus thankfully!

Engineer has been and apparently everything is working. No idea what the fault was (which isn't helpful). Fingers crossed it keeps working as I want to go for a run then have a shower and do some laundry.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Get yourself tested Greenbee! RLS is something I've had for years but yes, was also at an all time high pre my visit to the vampires stores.

Good work on your list of "done" stuff Redo - but pah to twitchy eyelids - such a horrible feeling isn't it! As for DS2 - bless him. Or something...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,905Posts Today

6,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mattallwright: I don?t think life is fair. I think we have to work to impose our idea of fairness on life. It doesn?t come pre-justiced?

• 3 tips to succeed if you want to start your own business, from me, an accidental entrepreneur... https://t.co/leamX59TY1

• My advice for budding entrepreneurs... why a good idea is a nightmare... https://t.co/eJaF2HPXxu

• Follow Martin