Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,767Posts
    • 10,611Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 34
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your carrot biryani sounds lovely. I want to try some cauliflower rice this weekend but will have to buy it as I don't have a food processor.

You must be very slim if that is all you eat Redo .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your carrot biryani sounds lovely. I want to try some cauliflower rice this weekend but will have to buy it as I don't have a food processor.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    It grates perfectly too
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Does it? Maybe I should try that instead. How long would you cook it for, twenty minutes?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'm the kind of idiot who always grates their fingers so I've never tried doing it that way. I grated some fingernail into the carrot last night

Engineer has been to sort the phone/internet issues out, master box had corroded. Interesting that it timed it for the changeover of services! No idea what or if we will be charged this time. It was £120 when the outside cable had perished so who knows. Anyway the boys are now glued to electronic devices instead of expecting me to entertain them. Like I have time for that. Youth of today

HHoD - you'd think so wouldn't you, but I drink to maintain my calories Actually I used to be quite chubby post babies but lost a lot of weight a few years ago so am usually a size 10 or 12. I used to live on toast and eventually realised it was the gluten and grains that caused the problems. I miss toast, but my joints are a lot better when I am not carrying a few stone too many around. If anything I don't eat enough now, and have a lot of nuts/dried fruit to keep my calories consistent. Like most of us I have a few Christmas pounds to shift again.

The carrot biryiani is my current favourite thing but I do have to be careful about eating rice. I might try and see if it works with the cauliflower.

Food shopping this morning, quacks for annual pill check (normal BP, and only overweight now according to BMI ) and then a dash round to tidy before the engineer came. Probably lots of steps but I forgot to put my watch on as usual. MrL obliged with hard wood logs for the wood burner and a toilet seat (snapped the hinge with over enthusiastic cleaning the other day) which amused me in a food shop but saved me a trip into town.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 13th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    If your stock of coffee beans is running low, I picked up a 1.2kg bag in Mr L this morning. Works out at around £7.50 per kg and there are two varieties available.

ETA Makro £6.99/kg and Costco £6.50/kg (roughly) for ground coffee. I've resisted buying more because these are the regular prices, so no rush (I hope).
    Last edited by MrsChaos; 14-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 38,485 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I always say I'd be a size zero if it wasn't for wine, but then I guess I'd eat snacks in front of the TV instead

I think all these vegetable alternatives to carbs are brilliant.

Enjoy the weekend
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,229 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I’d just be happy being a size 14 again. The fake carbs, i.e. cauli rice, spiralised veggie “pasta”, has really taken off in the last few years - certainly cuts down the calories!

Glad that you got the internet sorted out. I always though of myself as not particularly reliant too much on “techie” stuff too much but goodness me the last time my broadband went down I really felt it! All my financial and household matters are done through the net now!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,371 Thanks
    in need of direction
    My aspiration is to be a size 16 thereby accessing normal clothes sizes.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'd be a size zero if it wasn't for chocolate, wine and cider SA .

Not many of us are happy with the weight we are. It doesn't help if you are vertically challenged like me, as the pounds have nowhere to go . What I wouldn't give to be two inches taller .
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Evening all, a busy weekend for me but lots done. 14k of steps today without leaving the house!

I'll hopefully have a little time to catch up tomorrow night.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's a lot of steps
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    redofromstart
    3k so far today, the joys of meetings. Stiff and tried as a result, tons better on the days when I move more. I was at least too hot in the office. Hurrah for free warmth.

1 cup of tea before I left, 1 cup of coffee at work. Got home frantic for caffeine, machine on. Out of beans, water and the grinds tray needed emptying. You couldn't make it up!

MrsC, I'll have a look at those beans thanks, I have about 7kg left but it seems unlikely we will do France this year so a timely stock up would be good. The Makro £7 one in the posted leaflet is a standard price I think, have tried that and liked it. There is a costco in the city but I am put off by the fee to join.

The lIdl soft close toilet seat was nice quality and a simple fit by OH, so that is sorted. I also spent a couple of hours 'helping' DS1 to tidy his room yesterday so a few black bags out and his room looks a lot better.

It's really frustrating when the weight just sticks. I've never eaten huge volumes but grains/gluten really makes me pile the pounds on so living on toast made me huge even though I didn't have that many actual calories. I watch what I eat for the fibro, not for dieting, although like most of us I have a few pounds to shift from chocolate and alcohol consumption over the last few weeks.

Tiny quantity of lamb left over from yesterday, probably not enough to do anything with although I could try and stretch it to some sort of rice dish. Not enough potatoes to make even a sparse shepherds pie, although I do have cabbage. Bubble and squeak? Too tired to make decisions which is danger zone for takeaway, but remember:

Dentists bill
    Tax bill
    Crap news on pensions into Administration today

Right, I am off to inspect the fridge and see what I can cobble together. Could defrost sausages, and serve with bubble and squeak and a mountain of veg and gravy
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Readers, I am sure you are desperate to know what I did...

Sausages and mash with gravy.

Kept my pennies firmly in my moth filled pockets. Sometimes it takes a reminder of why we are not spending, and if I am frittering £20 I'd rather buy me something like books rather than tummy ache and lethargy tomorrow.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I find I'm ok with carbs if I have wholemeal bread, brown rice etc. It's more filling and much tastier.

to no coffee!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,927 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well this is timely - tried cauli rice for the first time at the weekend! Bought a small wobbleflower reduced from T's and blitzed it in the processor, threw it into a frying pan with a splash of rapeseed oil and added the chicken juices while it was cooking to add a bit more flavour along with some salt & pepper. Finished it off with a splash of lime juice and some chopped coriander - it was delish! I was deeply impressed - even more so that MrEH (Who'd caught on to the fact that it was a trendy "of the moment" type food so was determined to hate it!) agreed that it was lovely too! We'll be going there again!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£982.19 (04/06/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    redofromstart
    EH Timely indeed. I do like cauli rice, but in moderation. Prefer courgette ribbons to pasta but then I don't like pasta anyway.
    HHoD I was brought up on wholemeal and brown rice . My mother has always been a very healthy eater and she did try to pass it on to us as well.

I wasn't in the office today so I thought I would nip out and have a mooch around some shops before my conference call. A fatal error obviously, only I was actually quite good. I have £30 of one4all vouchers but couldn't find anything in Marks n Spensive that I really liked and really needed. Could have bought some stuff in the beauty bit but I am on my self imposed ban. Back in my purse they go until I find something that we do need rather than something that will do.

MrA has some very reduced bits in the sale, worth a scan to see as the SEL didn't show the reductions. £1.28 invested in 6 x pens/pads/ruler sets at 20p and 4 x folding rulers at 2p for the present drawer.

MrS had some 13.5 tog branded double duvets for £11.20 so replaced our very ancient one. Hopefully now I will stop waking up shivering in the night, I much prefer the hot flushes.

MrT had nothing left of the seasonal stuff, but they did have the needed next size up school trousers for DS2.

All of this trotting round shops generated 8k of steps, so not in SAs range, but a good start.

Came home and lost the will to live talking to outgoing and incoming broadband suppliers. Cancelled incoming as they have not kept me informed, and they still couldn't give me a date for the changeover that should have happened last week. Looking on the telecomms board this seems to be a common problem with changing to Vfne.

My car tax to do (all of £30), and a car insurance renewal to do some comparisons on. I always forget that it goes out in February and uses the no council tax money which in my head had been allocated to the dentists bill. Really need to work out the tax bill so I know just how much of a cash flow problem we have.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 16th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    I enjoy bargain hunting around the shops, but it takes up so much time that I can't always justify it. DS1 had new duvet/pillows/duvet set (Racing Green - his current favourite brand) for Christmas and is very happy. Your price was better, though.

Hope you get the finances sorted soon.

This is proving to be an 'interesting' week. DS2 misplaced his winter coat at school yesterday. Took the waterproof today with instructions to find the missing coat and ended up coming home minus either. If snow doesn't stop us from driving in the morning, we'll have to give him a lift to school.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,510 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    A very good idea not to spend your vouchers if you didn't fall in love with something. I admire your self discipline .

I hope the new duvet is cosy.

Our accountants have nesrly finished our tax returns, I hate this time of year .
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good mindful shopping there Redo
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,927 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Mrs Chaos - I bet if you make him walk, in the cold, he'll rapidly manage to track down at least one of the mislaid items AND be more careful where he leaves them in the future!

Redo massively impressed with your discipline with the vouchers - well done! Good to hear that someone else is on a self-imposed toiletry-type stuff ban too.

You've reminded me that MrEH's car tax will be due next month (I think) or the one after. It's also just £30 though so none so bad.

And can anyone explain to me why accountants seem to want to leave tax returns until this point when they can be done and submitted any time from April? I always used to do mine as soon as I could to avoid delaying the painful process, but this time of year is ALWAYS full of folk saying about needing to do them! SO pleased to not have to do one any more though - although it never took long it was always a bit of a faff.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£982.19 (04/06/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,964Posts Today

8,015Users online

Martin's Twitter