Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,776Posts
    • 10,739Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 33
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The infamous cure all of switching it off and on again worked. Should have tried that first obviously. The cat is doing elaborate sulking as I tidied her boiler cupboard. She is too fat fluffy to fit on the keyboard with her back to me but she tries very hard.

The boiler cupboard also houses the cleaning stuff, quite pleased to have found lots of DW tablets and packs of cleaning wipes but sadly no hidden stash of sweets. I have also done a thorough clean of the bathroom so I am in a virtuous glow of cleanliness, at least until a boy uses the facilities

10k steps of cleaning and food shopping. I did moisturise and I did have a plated meal.

New broadband starts tomorrow, who knows how that will go. I don't seem to have had any instructions on what to do which is worrying me.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I haven't the foggiest what the cat has stood on now to make the pound sign into a hash sign but I can see it is going to be very annoying. Windows 10 if anybody knows the magic answer.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Off to the techie board with you!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 8th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Thank you for the links. I made the bread and mincemeat pudd tonight and very much enjoyed it. Leftovers will come to work with me tomorrow, as it's a long day.

Little cat frequently walks over my keyboard, but so far nothing serious has happened.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed today. When I'm off work everything seems so much easier.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,694 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    DH says it sounds like possibly you (or the cat ) have switched to the US keyboard, so try going into Settings and change it back tò UK.

UPDATE: just seen you've fixed it . Do you ever watch the IT Crowd, reminded me of that .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,694 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on 10k of cleaning and food shopping .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,836 Posts
    • 38,553 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Everything is fixed by switching it off and back on again. Pity it doesn't work on humans
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 15,829 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Everything is fixed by switching it off and back on again. Pity it doesn't work on humans
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    It sort of does. That's what holidays are for
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I wish I had a 'revert to factory settings' button!

Hideously busy, work is derailing at alarming speed but I can't talk about that publicly. Suffice to say its a bit stressy and I seem to have a perpetual headache. It'll be like that till half term so I need to find a coping technique. Wasn't supposed to be working today, but I have had to to avert potential crisis.

Adding to the stress was a complete failure to move the broadband. One of the two providers is telling porkies, and magically we now have a 'fault on line' with old providers, and a fortnight delay to the move. New people have given me huge amount of data on phone so I can hot spot and work but the teenagers are very, very unhappy. That wasted hours of today.

All in all, nothing of what I had planned to done, still need to prep for tomorrows critical meeting. And be a supportive person who strokes cats, feeds animals, cooks dinner, does the ironing, shouts about homework and sorts packed lunches

I frittered £7 on a couple of chickens in the co-op (choosing the biggest ones, obviously) and chucked one in to roast while I was trying to sort the other issues so there is at least chicken for dinner, and cold for lunches tomorrow.

Yesterday we had a variation on this curry, adding mushrooms and chickpeas with the coconut milk. It was very nice indeed but next time I would pick out the spices before I added the coconut.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 15,829 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry work is stressful and will continue to be for a bit. Maybe find something to do just for you tonight, even if it is just a lovely bath and a face pack.

The curry sounds nice.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I hope the stressful work situation doesn’t get you down too much. The IT problems today must have driven you up the wall!

Try to have a relaxing evening tonight and wind down.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 10th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Sounds like you're having a tough half-term and it would have been easy to revert to coffee and toast, so you've done well to sort the chicken. I wouldn't count that as frittering money because it may just save your sanity. The things in your freezer are still going to be used eventually, so there's no waste.

The curry sounds interesting. I think I'll spend Friday evening copying out some recipes (including the Florentines), so I'm not constantly searching.

Hope your family don't make huge extra demands on you for the time being.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    redofromstart
    8000 steps, 21 floors and 77 minutes of exercise, that'll be the 10 times I went upstairs to check the blasted wireless box and the pacing I do when I am on hold on my mobile....

The work thing is what it is, it'll soon be over and then I might have a few weeks off to do some gardening before I look for the next interim.

MrsC - toast and coffee? you know me so well. I didn't actually suggest that I had eaten the chicken did I
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 12,633 Posts
    • 220,295 Thanks
    greenbee
    MrsC - toast and coffee? you know me so well. I didn't actually suggest that I had eaten the chicken did I
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I knew it... please eat food

I went for a LONG walk today, and for the second time (last time was about this time last year) got to the pub as it closed, so had to walk nearly all the way back for lunch... 20k steps.

Builders have started. I have done some work (practising...) and painted my toenails purple with purple glitter.

Cooking is a challenge - fridge is almost empty, cooker still plugged in, but have to walk round the outside to get to it and it's got cold today. So scrambled egg, toasted muffin and a lot of wine for supper. As WM is still plumbed in I need to put my washing on before bedtime in case it is removed tomorrow....
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,694 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry work is stressful at the moment and there's nothing worse than broadband problems . I hope they sort it out between them soon.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 11th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    I knew it... please eat food
    Originally posted by greenbee
    What she said!

Although I'm scraping the barrel, too. Too tired to cook the planned cottage pie for the second night in a row. Fortunately there are enough things in the house to make quick meals with. DS2 is still happy to eat quesadillas, fortunately.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 15,829 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hope work was manageable today.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,713 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Every cloud and all that with the steps and exercise Redo!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Black coffee for breakfast, crisps for lunch, carrot biryani for dinner and an orange today.

I survived key meeting but internet is down until at least tomorrow.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 12,633 Posts
    • 220,295 Thanks
    greenbee
    I guess at least you ate a vegetable. even if it was the same colour as the fruit. Can you eat something green tomorrow please?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Peas in the biryani, and coriander.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin