Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,570Posts
    • 16,460Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 109
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Dec 19, 9:36 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 21,847 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Nothing like looking at a reducing mortgage balance to cheer yourself up!

Good to hear that the GF is having a positive effect.

to the keyboard loving cat! What is it with felines and keyboards? DD found her Miss Princess draped over her (work) laptop keyboard today. Luckily she hasn't appeared to have deleted anything!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 17
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 21st Dec 19, 7:23 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    On the first day of cleaning, a retailer brought to me, new beds for teenagers and much work for me.

Fortnight off, how much can I do? I'm allowing 12 days because of family visits and my inevitable fall over at some point.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Dec 19, 7:29 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh dear doesn't sound good Hope you get some rest amongst all this, it is your time off work after all xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2020 £43.31
    Emergency Fund £3465/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 21st Dec 19, 7:38 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you manage to fit some relaxation into your fortnight off Redo. There is pressure to get the house looking tidy and clean for Christmas but I expect we place too much pressure on ourselves as others probably don't notice if the house isn't perfect. I'm guilty of wanting the house to look perfect too.

I presume the DSs have finished school now? How are your Christmas preparations going?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £2,450/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 21st Dec 19, 7:44 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh dear doesn't sound good Hope you get some rest amongst all this, it is your time off work after all xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    It is but if not now, then when?

How are your Christmas preparations going?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Not so much as a tree up currently, this may change tomorrow but don't hold your breath
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 21st Dec 19, 7:49 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    A lot can change in a day Redo . But don't wear yourself out. Some people don't put the tree up until Christmas eve.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 21st Dec 19, 9:36 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 21,847 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    That's right about the tree! It will probably last longer that way as well. No falling needles to annoy the felines!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Dec 19, 5:50 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Just popping in to say Happy Christmas .
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 25th Dec 19, 9:16 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks HHOD, same to you and to anyone else reading.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Dec 19, 10:49 AM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hope you're having a fab Christmas redo xx
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 27th Dec 19, 4:20 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 152,700 Thanks
    juliejim
    Hope you've had a lovely Christmas xx
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 31st Dec 19, 6:23 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 21,847 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Belated Christmas wishes redo. I hope you and your family had a wonderful time.

And here’s to a very prosperous and healthy 2020 to you - see you on the other side!
    X

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 31st Dec 19, 9:23 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy new year Redo
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Jan 20, 11:23 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 21,847 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Happy new year redo! Hope all's well.
    X

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jan 20, 10:59 AM
    • 9,896 Posts
    • 50,325 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Another HNY from here Redo - hope all is good in your world!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 20, 9:18 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thank you - and a Happy New Year to you all too. I haven't had time to read anyone elses diaries much so hope everything is ok.

I spent most of my fortnight off sleeping, or doing things that should help make my day to day work load easier. I feel a lot calmer for it, and the house looks better downstairs at least but between work, boys and household stuff I'm solidly busy which leaves little time for luxuries like fiddling about on the personal laptop. I'm still reading in the bath though.

Very small rounding OP on the mortgage this month, much needed new beds for the boys and a tax bill that I want to pay out of cash flow rather than use the actual tax savings mean very little cash available. I've bought a few 99p kindle daily deals but other than that they day to day spending has been groceries, which is how it should be. I bought a nice work laptop bag in the sales but that was using Christmas present money.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jan 20, 4:04 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad all is good
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 22nd Jan 20, 12:30 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Nearly payday

Midweek musings

I have been asking myself what value I put on my time, on the basis that I have very little of the precious stuff available. The co-op might be a few pence more but it also saves an hour and £5 in fuel. The hour is more precious to me at the moment.

I'm spending a little more on food, but focusing on having nice food that is fast and easy to prepare. Buying things that I actually like and might eat is always a bonus. I signed up for a delivery saver from a big stupidmarket, and they do most of the hard picking and carrying work which also saves time and fuel. I still don't like buying fresh produce that way but its a massive improvement on me spending several hours a week food shopping.

I am making sure the house is warm enough for me to work in. Traditionally I have sat and shivered in the cold because there is 'only me' in. Its a daft mentality, I need to look after me too. I can afford to run the little oil heater. Its not like I'm sat in a t shirt with the heating on full blast, but its hard to break the austerity mind set of the famine years.

11 and a half months on from the nasty infection I still have stomach issues. I don't think I have walked more than a few hundred yards since. This has to be the next change focus, not least because I have to appear in a public place in a swimming costume in 4 weeks

I need to make more of an effort to look after me, to spend time on the things that make me happy not just focus on the relentless hamster wheel grind that is keeping on top of the job/house/family.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 22nd Jan 20, 12:40 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    redofromstart
    As an aside, I was in the hairdressers yesterday, reading the trash magazine which had a diet menu. Took photos of a couple of things that sounded ok with the intention that eating in the morning might stop me from snacking between every work call and email. .I am also trying to reduce dairy to see if it is another trigger.

With this in mind, this morning I lovingly weighed out my 30g of GF oats. Added 125ml of apple juice, and heated for three minutes until it was 'thick and creamy'. Dry fried a sliced banana for 30 seconds each side to scatter over the top together with a spoon full of sliced almonds. It also suggested that you add a teaspoon of brown sugar on the top. As an appetite suppressant it was amazing. It was absolutely revolting and a terrible waste of a nice banana. I am still dry retching thinking about it.

It also amused me just how much sugar there was in the whole thing, and then a suggestion to sprinkle more on top. OH made the very valid point that I would have had less calories and sugar with a banana and one of my lovely (bought) GF stem ginger oat cookies.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 22nd Jan 20, 1:31 PM
    • 13,544 Posts
    • 228,297 Thanks
    greenbee
    The oat thing sounds grim. And I thought you did better on low carb anyway?

A couple of things to suggest - try doing the FODMAP diet to identify triggers (I've been through this with my mum recently and she's cut her dairy down and is avoiding onions, leeks and garlic), and read Megan Rossi's gut book and also the Michael Mosley Clever Guts book if you haven't already.

I got my head round the need to heat the house a couple of years ago. It's my workplace - and it probably costs less to heat it than it would for me to commute. Plus if my hands are cold I can't type!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

17Posts Today

4,807Users online

Martin's Twitter