Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,374Posts
    • 15,207Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 6:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, 840 left at 94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, 2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks 200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 100
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th May 19, 9:28 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 26,253 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm quite looking forward to automatic cars so when I am old and doddery and they want to withdraw my licence I can just have an automatic car instead
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Hmmm, I might mean driverless
    We might already have automatic cars...not that I do...

The way you did the courgettes sounds nice. I love courgettes.
    Target by end of Aug goal: 1150/4000
    Car costs savings: 400
    Xmas savings 20
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th May 19, 8:24 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 15,207 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Last night we had some rather lovely oven roasted asparagus, drizzled with oil and with a little grated Parmesan style hard cheese. Nice thick stems so tried ten minutes at 200, still some bite to them which is much nicer than soggy over cooked. I also oven roasted some huge flat mushrooms at same time and they were lovely, have another pack of those to think of something to do with tonight.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 7:50 PM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 73,786 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That does sound extremely yummy .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 66
    PREMIUM BONDS = 50
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 15,207 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks HHOD, definitely one to do again.

Not tonight though, OH is away and I've pottered outside and done too much. Really bored of being ill, three months now since the first infection.

I'm going to lie on the sofa, read trash and eat junk.

DS1 has just tidied his room without being asked. Has the end of the world been announced without me noticing?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th May 19, 4:39 PM
    • 13,260 Posts
    • 225,935 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think DS1's tidying is probably displacement activity. Should he be revising for exams or doing homework?

I've done some weeding and feeding outside, washed the kitchen floor and washed and dried a couple of loads of laundry and am giving up despite the ironing lurking reproachfully in the corner. I got dehydrated yesterday and as a result have a headache I can't shift.

Hope you start to recover soon, but it might take some actual rest, rather than carrying on despite being so unwell.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 73,786 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Lying on the sofa, reading trash and eating junk sounds like just what you need right now Redo. Hope you feel better soon.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 66
    PREMIUM BONDS = 50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

503Posts Today

4,299Users online

Martin's Twitter