Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,512Posts
    • 4,821Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mrs S, family life and debt
    • 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    Mrs S, family life and debt 30th Jul 17 at 7:22 AM
    This is my 4th diary. I'll link the others in case anyone has absolutely nothing to do and fancies a read!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

So, who is Mrs S?

I'm in my mid early 30's and a mum to 2 lovely little boys. My second maternity leave is just coming to an end (sob). I'm a teacher but looking for a career change. I mentioned this career change back in diary 1, but I'm finally doing something about it. I have 2 job interviews next week and I'm still searching and applying for others.

Debt

I guess I wouldn't be starting a new diary if I didn't have any debts. Maternity leave and retraining has meant that the debt we had beforehand has increased. Significantly. I'm gutted, but from the retraining side, I just had to do it. Today, our debts stand at:

Loan: 9,906.30
    Credit Card: 6,480.60

We also have a mortgage of 92,720.52

Excluding the mortgage, our current debt figure is 16,386.90. That's massive.

So what are we doing about it?

Not adding to it any more, that's to start! The problem is that a lot depends on whether I find work quickly. In an ideal world I will be working by September (even if it's something unrelated to what I actually want to do, as we need a second income).

Using YNAB. I've used YNAB for a few years now, and love it. It's so clear in showing how much money we actually have, and splitting it between different pots.

Paying 266.40 towards the loan every month, and around 65-70 towards the card. The card is a very recent balance transfer, so not 100% sure on exact figures yet, but 1% is the minimum balance. I'm not sure whether to stick with the minimum, or a set amount each month. The set amount won't be much higher than the minimum, but obviously won't decrease every month. Possibly 65 per month. That means we will be paying 331.40 towards our debt each month. At this rate it would take 50 months to clear. 4 years, 2 months.

Budgeting and treats

I allow treats. They're budgeted for. I would fall flat on my face if we weren't allowed our treats. We do have little breaks away sometimes (not abroad, we haven't been abroad since our honeymoon). We save for them, though and pay with the money we have and not add to the debt. We have the odd takeaway and meal out, we have days out. I treat the boys on their birthdays and Christmas. I have this year started paying into Park for Vouchers in time for Christmas. I've budgeted for that every month.

We put money into our car pot each month for the MOT and any extras it needs. Our car is 12 years old, and up until recently hasn't needed anything doing to it. A couple of little things are starting to need changing now so I'm hoping we'll have a few more years before the car get sorted too expensive. I do love my car! It's nothing special, not fancy and was cheap to buy with low mileage (we've had the car about 5 years).

Right, I've probably bored anyone who's reading this enough for a first 'All about me' post.
    Mortgage Overpayment (May): 1.14/20
    Finally debt free (other than the mortgage) - 05/02/18
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S.....life after debt' below:
Page 28
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th May 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I can't believe it's been almost a month

Food shop update - I've totted up April and it comes to 319.46, which works out at 63.89 a week (5 week month). Over the 60 a week budget but my biggest problem is the top up shops. I pick up more fruit mid week and usually end up with a few unnecessary bits as well. My May target is 200 (I'm away for a week so won't need a shop). I usually shop at Aldi mainly now and do the top up at Tesco, but I've booked a click and collect at a Tesco tomorrow morning because it's the bank holiday weekend and basically I can't be bothered

Money otherwise............life's flipping expensive. I've lost 13.5lbs (so frustrating not to have reached the stone yet!! I have lost 6 inches from my waist though and have dropped a dress size. This means I've been buying some new clothes. I have a pile of old clothes to put on eBay, I just need to get around to doing it now!! I figured that whatever I make will go towards new clothes.

I've got 2 wedding to go to, one next weekend and one next month. I have a dress here that fits for the one next weekend, but not sure about next month's one yet. At least it means I don't need to fork out on a new dress!! Need to think about gifts though

The boys have seemed to be expensive the last few weeks as well. They've needed a few new Summer bits, as well as new swimming things each, wellies for ds1, hats, etc. It's amazing how fast it all adds up.

Mr S and I..........that's still up and down, but the ups seem to happen more frequently and the downs are fewer and further in between. We've decided to give counselling a go (45 a session ). We're starting next week. We have so many issues to work through, from the issues that we had initially to the ones that have been created by his oh so lovely family. We did go out last night though, just the 2 of us, for a meal. It was lovely. We talked and we laughed. We never did that when we were together so I think it's one thing we're going to try and work on. I think the aim is to go out once a month for food or something together. We'll see how things go but at the moment we're both trying.

Right, I'm going to have a catch up of some diaries here!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Just adding to this, the car went in for an MOT a few weeks ago The bill was just short of 500 My car is now 11 years old so I'm worried it will start to be one thing after another. I'm hoping it will be good this year and will see how the next MOT turns out. If it's another bad one I'm going to have to consider changing it

Ds1's birthday will be this Summer and he mentioned earlier about a party. I'd already spoken with Mr S about this one and we'd decided he had the choice of a big party (like last year........around a million kids ) or we could go away for a couple of nights and to Legoland as he's asked quite a few times recently about it. So, we spoke with ds1 and gave him those options and he quickly forgot about the party and is so excited about Legoland and staying in a hotel (it'll be something along the lines of a Premier Inn but he loves it!!). I did mention a couple more times that this would mean no big party and he is totally fine with it. Last year all his friends had parties, and I've noticed this year far fewer are so I don't feel mean. I have said we'll either have a tea here with his grandparents or go out for a bar meal with them to celebrate as well as the trip away.

We had a BBQ tonight, but managed it with food that was in the freezer leftover from the last BBQ so cost was very low (popped to the shop for a couple of nibbles!!). It's also made a little extra room in the freezer which was much needed
    Last edited by MrsSave; 06-05-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 6th May 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I picked up my food shop from Tesco this morning, and that came to 47.61. I also popped into Asda to pick up some shorts for the boys, and them treated them to a tshirt each as ds2 saw an Avengers one and he is totally crazy about the Superheroes at the moment. He's too young for the films, etc. But it's the thought of those superheroes. It was in the 2 for 7 section so I picked up a tshirt for ds2 as well. I ended up spending just over 41 in Asda, but that included a pair of sandals and a hat for me, as we as 2 pair of shorts each and the 2 t shirts.

We took a picnic out today, so used what was in the house and just ordered a multipack of crisps with the food shop to go with it so not too expensive. We did then eat out afterwards, but this was planned and I'd budgeted 40 for it. I spent 37.93 out of the 40.

I've decided to re evaluate my soa. I have almost 2000 coming in each month, and still struggle. Today has been an expensive day, and it's a bank holiday weekend so probably not the time to say it but every month I'm struggling to save anything and have nothing left over from the spending account.

I see so many people around here who earn similar to me and they seem to be have nice cars, eat takeaways, go on holiday and wear nice clothes. I know I shouldn't judge others and it's probably jealousy, but I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong!!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi MrsSave,

Just wanted to touch on your last point about having a good amount of money coming in but still struggling to save...

I'm probably in a similar situation to you - on paper, the amount of money that my husband and I bring in every month is fantastic and we should be living a fairly carefree spending lifestyle but we don't! For me, it's a combination of paying off debts, having really high childcare bills and getting caught out with things that we need/ parties that we're going to where we need to buy a gift that I haven't budgeted for etc. Also, a lot of our bills are high compared to some (e.g. council tax alone is 247p/m) so that's a massive chunk compared to my sister, for example, who's council tax is 90p/m.

I know I could be better with savings pots and just generally saying no, but we genuinely don't eat out often so if we're invited out once or twice per month I just don't want to say no!

Have you taken a look at a month as an example and break down every penny that was spent? That might give you a good idea of where your money is going and how you can free up more income for luxuries/ savings?

Also, i think it's easy to see on the surface of things how well people seem to be doing and be envious of their holidays/ clothes etc, but how do you know that they're not sitting there with debt to pay for these things? Or, for example, a friend of mine inherited his house so doesn't have a mortgage to pay...that's why he has a brand new BMW every other year! It's all relative.

But I totally get where you're coming from - I do often have the same thoughts.
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 8th May 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you for taking the time to write that post JoJoC. Everything you say is correct, and I was actually sweeping the kitchen floor earlier thinking about this and I wondered whether the people I think like this of, whether they're actually thinking similar thoughts about me. No one knows the full story of our debts, how hard we budget each month, how I shop around. They see us heading off on holidays/days out (UK, not abroad) and are probably wondering how we can afford it. Our days out are usually based around where Tesco vouchers can take us, eating out is usually in cheaper places with money off offers, and breaks away usually meal staying in something like a Premier Inn so that we can spend a little more out.

As you said it is all relative.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 8th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mr S and I had our first counselling session today (and it was 30 as the first session is cheaper!!). The lady seemed lovely and we both left thinking we would like to continue with it, so have our next session in a fortnight.

Other than that it has been a nsd I've eaten awfully over the weekend so have tried to be far healthier today. I'd love to lose a couple more pounds before we head away on Sunday.

We seem to have a blocked toilet, and I cannot fix it!!! Mr S was here for ages earlier and couldn't sort it. I am a little worried that ds2 may have put something down there It's take 2 tomorrow and thankfully we have another toilet

Other than that I have done loads of laundry today (though the ironing basket is full once again!!) and took the empty bottles to the bottle bank.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    No problem - it's nice to know that you're not alone MrsS. You're probably right - I guarantee there's someone in your circle that thinks the exact same about you. It's so easy to assume everyone else has it easy but not many people know what goes on under the surface.

I'm pretty sure that my sister thinks I'm loaded because she knows what we earn but if she were to look at our finances in detail, I'm sure she'd feel a lot different! We have potential to lead a really comfortable lifestyle...just need to get shot of these debts and prioritise going forward! haha

Glad the counselling session went well today, it's lovely to see that you're both trying
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 10th May 18, 6:35 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Yesterday was a nsd. I went to work and then spent the evening ironing. How fun We're going away for a few nights from Sunday so trying to make sure all clothes are washed, dried and ironed. We're off to Center Parcs so will stay nearby in a Premier Inn the night before and then will pick up a food shop from the local Asda on the way to save a few pennies. We have booked a couple of meals out, but this has all been budgeted for. I'm hoping we manage to bring some money back, which will then go towards ds1's birthday trip.

I usually do a top up shop on a Thursday, but I think I can get away without this week. I've got 10 budgeted for the top up shop, so that will be used to put towards the money we're giving as a gift for the wedding we're going to this weekend. I figured 20 between us should be fine as we're not close to the couple at all. We will need a little drinks money as well, but that will come from the Spends pot.

The toilet is sorted (still not 100% sure what was wrong!). At least I didn't need to ask for help from someone who was going to charge money One less thing to worry about now!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th May 18, 7:21 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Weekend!! And holiday starts tomorrow Premier Inn tomorrow night followed by Center Parcs on Monday. Sooo excited. First things first, though.....I'm off in less than an hour to slimming club to weigh. Fingers crossed I've lost something Weight loss has been slow over the past month, but at least I haven't gained anything (until I get back from the holiday!!). I must start losing again once I'm back!

I'm off to a wedding party with Mr S tonight. I had said initially I wasn't going, but decided to go along a couple of weeks ago as things were improving between us (and a lot of people still doesn't know that we've separated!). I'm wearing a dress I already had in the wardrobe and shoes that I already had so no money spent on clothes. I do next to take cash out for my part of the gift, and for drinks. It won't be a late night though so should be too bad!!

I can hear ds2 stirring (not bad for a Saturday morning - ds1 is still fast asleep) so I'd better get moving!! Happy Saturday!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 14th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Holiday time!! We stayed at a Premier Inn last night, and ate at the Brewers Faye attached. I have a Brewers Faye bonus card (I think it's fab.....points build up pretty quickly!) so we had a voucher for 2 free children's meals. We're at the state where the 1 year old is eating more than the 4 years old (I remember ds1 eating everything in sight at the same age), so both have children's meals now. That saved 8 from the bill. 2 adults and 2 child meals, 2 sides and drinks came to less than 34. We do have a lunch booked at one of the Center Parcs restaurants today and I'm pretty sure that it will cost a lot more

Anyway, I've updated YNAB this morning so that we know exactly where we are. We're picking up a food shop from Asda later as we'll eat in most of the time. We're stopping at a Wetherspoons for breakfast this morning. I find the Brewers Fayre breakfasts over priced and not all that tasty!!

I've checked the accounts this morning, and our mortgage has just fallen under 90,000. It's finally in the 80,000s. I haven't managed to over pay on it this month frustratingly, but I'm hoping to next month.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 16th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Over half way through our holiday now. I have 2 totally shattered children They're having such a fantastic time, though. Money wise we're not doing too bad!! We ate breakfast out on Monday, and that came to just over 15 for the 4 of us. Lunch was expensive as it was at one of the CP restaurants, but at 47 ish for 4 I don't think it was too bad. We also ate out Tuesday night, which came to around 57. Other than that we've eaten in (we picked up an Asda food shop Monday). We picked up a big box of variety ice lollies with the Asda shop which was around 3 for 30. That's saving loads on the cost of ice creams here (especially with the lovely weather we have been having!).

Ynab is up to date with all our holiday spends. I'm hoping we'll have a little left over from our budget which will go towards ds1's birthday treat which is a trip to Legoland.

I've been thinking about a way to save a little more as that's where I'm struggling at the moment. I'm thinking of tweaking the penny a day challenge (as I'm almost half way through the year!) to even figures only. I should have saved over 300 by the end of November. Will look into it once I'm back home.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 16th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Sounds like you're having a lovely time. How long are you away for?
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc 49,987- family 37,561: total debt 87549

Current debt: Cc 44,810 , Family 39,417 total debt 84,227

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th May 18, 6:54 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Sounds like you're having a lovely time. How long are you away for?
    Originally posted by debtaghh
    Thank you, we are. We are going home tomorrow
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Ds2 is super tired today, so I brought him back to our lodge around 11 for him to have a sleep. He is still fast asleep and I've had lots of quiet time, and spent a lot of it reading diaries here and thinking of my own financial situation.

I am debt free, but not managing to save each month and generally still over spend. I'm trying to eat far better, but this does increase the cost. I am buying too much though and end up freezing/throwing far too much. That's definitely one area I need to evaluate. I've also been spending too much on the boys and on clothes for me. I'm losing weight so do need a few new bits from time to time, but there are more wants than needs creeping in. The boys clothes I mainly buy from the supermarkets.

It's definitely the general Spends, food and personal money spends I need to work on. Going to have a good look at my budget to see if savings can be made elsewhere or what my options are.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 18th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    We're off home today Swimming first (after I drag myself out of bed, make breakfast and pack everything up ) and then we'll be eating lunch and dinner out. We do have around 150 of our holiday budget left so will have some left over at the end (unless we go totally overboard!!). That will head to the 'Legoland' break category in August. We've decided to totally splash out and pay for the VIP bits which will mean no queuing as I'm guessing August will be super busy there and have been warned hours can be spent standing!!!

We will need to stop for bread, milk and a little fruit on the way home but will make do with what we have in the house otherwise to last until Monday.

Right, I really do need to get moving!!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 18th May 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    We're home and I'm now tucked up in bed working through YNAB and doing other financial bits. I've been making a plan to start from now. I have decided that:
    • I will overpay the mortgage by a minimum of 20 a month. It may be 'only' 20 but that would shave 11 months off the mortgage, and save almost 1,000 in interest,
    • I will try my hardest to stick to a food budget of 50 per week for the main shop and 10 per week for the top up. That means a 4 week month will be 240,
    • I will complete my own version of the 'save a penny a day' challenge. As we're almost half way through the year already I will stick to the odd numbers! I'll do this by skimming the accounts on a Sunday and ticking 7 boxes from my sheet which add up to that amount (I know, sounds complicated.....it's not!!). I did a mini skim whilst away for 2.39, and have already worked out this weekend's skim, which will be 13.22. The aim is to be done by November 5th with 334.89 put to one side. I'm going to show this on YNAB as money taken out, and putting the money in an unused account so that I'll be less tempted to dip in if I want something. Not sure what I'll do with this money yet, but it will be just before Christmas, and it's ds2's birthday in December so will come in very handy.
    • Try and make extra money each month. All extra money will be split between the following (once the 20 mortgage overpayment has been reached).......50% towards the mortgage overpayment, 20% towards saving for a new shed, 10% towards saving for a new iPad, 10% towards my emergency fund (already have some here so will be building up to a 6 month cushion eventually) and 10% towards our spending money.

I'm hoping that by putting all this in place I will be able to see the savings accounts increase a little, and will feel motivated to try and earn the extra bits.

My jobs for this weekend are.....
    • Reconcile YNAB on the laptop. I haven't done this for ages!!
    • Cancel breakdown cover from renewal date,
    • Find new breakdown cover. Pay it in full, and then put money aside each month for next year. Hopefully find a cashback deal for it,
    • Input gas and electricity readings to the App,
    • Pay next bill in full,
    • Sort weekly accounts skim,
    • Transfer all money spent from the holiday pot to the current account (this is where the money sits waiting to pay off the credit card),
    • Only buy milk and fruit at the supermarket tomorrow (didn't pick them up on the way home). No other spends needed - will be doing a full shop (for under 50) on Monday.
    • Sort all the laundry that is sitting in a suitcase by the washing machine from our holiday,
    • Weigh so I know what I've gained on holiday, and start working to lose it again!!

I think that's enough to keep me going
    Last edited by MrsSave; 19-05-2018 at 4:15 PM.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 19th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Today has been relatively successful. I've almost finished my weekend list. The third load of washing is in the machine, there should only be one more to do until I reach the end of the holiday wash!

My jobs for this weekend are.....
    1. Reconcile YNAB on the laptop. I haven't done this for ages!! Done. Figured there was no time like the present, and as I'd been keeping it up to date on the app it was all correct!
    2. Cancel breakdown cover from renewal date, Done.
    Find new breakdown cover. Pay it in full, and then put money aside each month for next year. Hopefully find a cashback deal for it, Done. 38.99 for the year and should be receiving 11 cashback!

3. Input gas and electricity readings to the App, Done.
    4. Pay next bill in full, Done.
    5. Sort weekly accounts skim, Done. 13.23 transferred
    6. Transfer all money spent from the holiday pot to the current account (this is where the money sits waiting to pay off the credit card), Done. The holiday pot is looking rather empty now!
    7. Only buy milk and fruit at the supermarket tomorrow (didn't pick them up on the way home). No other spends needed - will be doing a full shop (for under 50) on Monday.Done. Well, kind of. I decided to do the big shop today instead of Monday. It did come to 53.16 which is over the 50 budget, but I needed toilet paper, nappies, bin bags and washing tablets today so that quickly added up. I also bought frozen fish instead of fresh which in theory is cheaper but was on offer so spent more but have lots more than I was going to buy. I'll take the 3.16 from the top up shop so will need to be careful mid week!
    8. Sort all the laundry that is sitting in a suitcase by the washing machine from our holiday,
    9. Weigh so I know what I've gained on holiday, and start working to lose it again!! Done. It's a 5lb gain, but I feel so bloated that a couple of those pounds should drop off as soon as I'm eating normally again so will just work on the rest!
    Last edited by MrsSave; 19-05-2018 at 4:17 PM.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 19th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    MrsSave
    As my goals and struggles have changed (I'm now struggling with budgeting and making sure I don't go back into debt) I have decided to start a new diary. Here is the link if anyone fancies a read/subscribing:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844966
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin