Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,530Posts
    • 9,233Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 4:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    MFW Total £183,637.21 to clear by 2035
    DFW Total £35,420 to clear by 2024

    £2019 in 2019 0.00/2019
Page 256
    • Sunshine012
    • By Sunshine012 12th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sunshine012
    Full mortgage application
    Valuation 20/05Mortgage offer 30/05
    Authority to Proceed (Help to Buy)10/06
    Solicitor and Taylor Wimpey notified of Authority to Proceed 11/06

    Does anyone know how long until exchange of contracts?
    I am aware that solicitor will have to apply for Authority to Exchange from Help to buy and she is waiting for Taylor Wimpey to issue their contracts
    Anyone in similar situatio?
    • mpr87
    • By mpr87 12th Jun 19, 8:38 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mpr87
    Our Timeline


    FTB



    12/01/2019 - first viewing of the property

    19/01 - second viewing/ made our offer
    22/01 Offer accepted.

    26/01 met with mortgage broker and put in mortgage application

    31/01 mortgage valuation completed
    31/01 solicitor instructed

    04/02 mortgage offer received

    12/02 homebuyers survey completed

    06/03 all searches completed

    06/03 requested gas boiler to have gas safety inspection carried out due to lack of Gas Safe Certificate.



    after that point we had nearly 3 months of just being told our solicitor was awaiting responses to enquiries with no luck despite numerous changes



    30/05 I recieved a phonecall asking us to book in to sign with our solicitor urgently as a seller up the chain was putting pressure on our vendor to try and complete within the week. We explained we still hadn't had the boiler safety check documents, we will see our solicitor and "sign" but won't be instructing them to exchange until that was sorted.



    03/06 - saw our solicitor and signed documents etc, given bank details to transfer funds but told not to transfer yet . Solicitor explained that the sols the vendors are using are notoriously poor and not to send any money until we know things can actually progress. The Vendors solicitor couldn't even answer whether our property is freehold or leasehold and sent their own version of the property purchase questionaire which looked amateurish at best.



    04/06 - found out we can't complete yet as our vendor has an issue, |The mortgage company won't accept a term of the leasehold on the property they are purchasing and they are having to send of for a deed of variation - Who know's how long this will now take but they are "in the process"



    also received a copy of the boiler check, this was completed back in march but the vendors solicitor had never sent on .



    05/06 - explained to solicitor if not sorted by July our mortgage offer will be expiring and we will not be wasting any more time on this property having been originally told there was no chain to now discover there is a chain and it is the chain causing a hold up.



    06/06 solicitor advised that the vendors solicitor is still hoping to complete soon and gave a completion date of 21/06




    no progress since, still not sure when we are going to exchange. not been told to send funds yet and we are on holiday for the weekend starting the 21st which will make things difficult now.



    Very frustrated as FTB I feel the EA hoodwinked us into a false sense of security as far as the chain was concerned making us believe our vendor was moving into an empty property when this clearly isn't the case and here we are 6 months on still waiting with our mortgage offer not far from expiry and no solid idea of when things are going to move forward.
    • correll
    • By correll 12th Jun 19, 10:06 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    correll
    mpr87, I agree that the EA has misled you (although the vendors may have misled him) In this whole sorry process it is difficult to know who to blame for the shambolic handling of house buying/selling.You will be able to select a completion date before exchange - so you will be able to ask for a date after your weekend away. Good luck!!
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 13th Jun 19, 6:29 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    letitbe90
    Finally exchanged yesterday , completion for next week!

    Started process in February and got delayed due to probate delays!
    • harkessmd
    • By harkessmd 13th Jun 19, 6:38 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    harkessmd
    Finally exchanged yesterday , completion for next week!

    Started process in February and got delayed due to probate delays!
    Originally posted by letitbe90
    God i hope this means ours will come through soon @letitbe90 !
    We have been waiting since January and are trapped in the probate travesty!
    * Can i ask what area of country you are in?
    Good luck for moving day!
    Last edited by harkessmd; 13-06-2019 at 6:39 AM. Reason: updfates
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 13th Jun 19, 6:39 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    Finally exchanged yesterday , completion for next week!

    Started process in February and got delayed due to probate delays!
    Originally posted by letitbe90
    Fantastic news. Congrats.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 13th Jun 19, 12:31 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    letitbe90
    God i hope this means ours will come through soon @letitbe90 !
    We have been waiting since January and are trapped in the probate travesty!
    * Can i ask what area of country you are in?
    Good luck for moving day!
    Originally posted by harkessmd
    In the Greater London area. Honestly, we should have been moved in back in April, but I am just so glad it wasn't even further delayed at this point. I got the property at pre-March prices (where Brexit uncertainty was at it's peak so managed to get quite a bargain) and I was always worried the vendor might remarket it to get (imo) easily £50k+ more than what I offered.
    • letThemPlay
    • By letThemPlay 13th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    letThemPlay
    Haven't updated since my initial post, been so frustrated with the solicitors. The initial contracts went missing between them and they wouldn't start searches until they turned up, but didn't tell me this, so had a delay of 3 weeks.

    The searches themselves took 3 weeks to return, although the latest date stamp on the searches was from two weeks earlier; so it feels like they were being held onto by someone.

    I should've pushed more from the beginning and that initial delay wouldn't have happened, at least I know now for the future.

    Should be getting the final report and contracts today, so hopefully exchange is not too far away now.

    It will be worth it; it will be worth it; it will be worth it.
    # 047 'Save 12K in 2019' - £6,346.86 / £12,000 55.89%
    # 074 'Save 12K in 2015' - £4,379.25 / £4,000 109.48%
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 13th Jun 19, 2:18 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    ka7e
    After phoning my solicitors at 10am and being told exchange is today and to hold off for an hour for confirmation before booking removals for Fri 21st....still no news. Horrible feeling I will have lost the chance to book with my preferred firm as it only had 2 dates free in the next 2 weeks (spoke to them on Tues) and Fridays book quickly.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • correll
    • By correll 13th Jun 19, 3:56 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    correll
    Ka7e, sounds a bit ropey, hope they came through for you
    • correll
    • By correll 13th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    correll
    letThemPlay, it is a steep learning curve, but I will NEVER do it again!!
    I'm sure it will be worth it in the end
    • lumpyspaceprincess
    • By lumpyspaceprincess 13th Jun 19, 4:19 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    lumpyspaceprincess
    Congrats letitbe!

    We dropped the contract off today, spoke to the sols before we went over who confirmed there's 4 enquiries outstanding still, which is holding up the property report. I'd contacted the EA yesterday to propose a provisional completion date, and have followed up today to mention we've returned th pack and are just waiting for these responses. I hope it's soon! ��
    ¤ £25k paid off with Stepchange DMP ¤ Debt Free 01/09/17 ¤
    ¤ Saving for a house deposit by '19 ¤ Savs @ £20,000 ¤


    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 13th Jun 19, 4:27 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    ka7e
    Ka7e, sounds a bit ropey, hope they came through for you
    Originally posted by correll
    They didn't! Our buyers apparently cannot access their ISA in time for Friday. Now pencilled in for exchange on Mon 17th and complete Tues 25th - he only other free day my removers have. Feel like I've been through the wringer today and will again on Monday, no doubt!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • Sunshine012
    • By Sunshine012 13th Jun 19, 4:31 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sunshine012
    My solicitor is waiting for 3 days for my builder to issue the contract.
    How long is approximate timescale for it?
    I really would like to find out what the exchange deadline is as I want to pay for my extras at exchange of contract.If the building wil pass certain stage I won’t be able to choose any options and the house will come ready with classic specifications.
    Solicitor said he has to wait for the builder to help me with the date
    • correll
    • By correll 13th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    correll
    Ka7e, sorry to hear that, weekends are so depressing as nothing happens. Hope you get good news Monday. It is a very stressful time
    • MrsG2006
    • By MrsG2006 13th Jun 19, 5:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrsG2006
    We are selling in England and buying in Scotland. So cant start any of the Scottish paperwork until we have exchanged on the house down south

    15/2 offer accepted

    13/6 still waiting to exchange, been told today theres a problem at bottom of chain so don't have an exchange date

    Getting so frustrated. Am I being too hasty by getting so stressed out after 17 weeks and no exchange date?
    • correll
    • By correll 13th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    correll
    MrsG2006, I suppose it depends how long the chain is, I think we all feel that it doesn't move fast enough
    • harkessmd
    • By harkessmd 14th Jun 19, 6:34 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    harkessmd
    In the Greater London area. Honestly, we should have been moved in back in April, but I am just so glad it wasn't even further delayed at this point. I got the property at pre-March prices (where Brexit uncertainty was at it's peak so managed to get quite a bargain) and I was always worried the vendor might remarket it to get (imo) easily £50k+ more than what I offered.
    Originally posted by letitbe90
    Seems hopeful for us then!
    We are in the South West and i would assume London as more people would mean more delays? (hey i am being positive here!)
    Well congratulations i hope a bit of your luck has rubbed off! and glad you got a good deal! well worth the wait, i'm sure once you are in you will put the whole scenario to the back of your mind!
    • lumpyspaceprincess
    • By lumpyspaceprincess 14th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    lumpyspaceprincess
    Spoke to our sols today and the EA and they're sticking on there not being a certificate for the boiler installed last year, for a loft conversion done before the sellers moved in (which they're asking sellers about indemnity insurance for) and one other matter.
    Reading old threads here people seem to sire very heavily with the sellers on not doing indemnity insurance / making buyers pay for it, which worries me. Our solicitor is working for our lender also and said if these things can't be achieved it will need referring back to the lender, who then may decide not to lend on the property. Not stressful at all!

    (We're mortgaging with Kensington due to having a DMP a few years ago, didn't get to choose about them using our sols)
    ¤ £25k paid off with Stepchange DMP ¤ Debt Free 01/09/17 ¤
    ¤ Saving for a house deposit by '19 ¤ Savs @ £20,000 ¤


    • maryeta
    • By maryeta 14th Jun 19, 11:44 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    maryeta
    Updating timeline below with new developments:

    - 27/04: property's first viewing
    - 28/04: put an offer
    - 30/04: second viewing while "pseudo-rejecting" our offer
    - 30/04: final offer made
    - 01/05: offer accepted, house taken off the market, solicitors instructed and initial chat with mortgage broker
    - 02/05: memorandum of sale issued by EA
    - 03/05: full mortgage application submitted and valuation booked
    - 07/05:valuation takes place and we return initial forms and IDs to solicitors and pay initial fee
    - 07/05: independent full building survey instructed (booked for 21/05 due to vendor's access)
    - 09/05: mortgage broker confirms valuation has been received by lender and no issues reported.
    - 10/05: mortgage broker confirms mortgage application has been accepted and we are just in the "queue" for the official mortgage offer letter to be issued.
    - 10/05: email sent to EAs to give him an update on our mortgage offer and also trying to get an update on where the vendor is at since they have not returned any paperwork yet.
    ---
    - 16/05: title plan, fittings & contents form, property information form received
    - 17/05: confirmation to solicitor to go-ahead with searches
    - 20/05: environmental and drainage & water searches back
    - 21/05: full building survey takes place
    - 28/05: building survey report back, no major issues
    - 06/06: solicitor sends me a copy of outstanding enquiries so we know where we are at
    - 14/06: title deeds and a whole bunch of documents received back, including contract to exchange

    Currently waiting for the last 3 enquiries including a management company pack and building regulation certificates for extension in the property.

    I would want to think we are nearly there for exchange but to be honest, who knows... especially when there is a management company involved!

    Good luck everyone,
    Maria
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,100Users online

Martin's Twitter