Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,523Posts
    • 9,227Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 217
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 26,371 Thanks
    Slinky
    Timeline - updates in bold.

    27/09 - Offer accepted on ours and our offer accepted on new house
    28/09 - Solicitors appointed
    02/10 - Mortgage advisor starts application to port existing mortgage & borrow additional funds.
    03/10 - Pack arrives from Solicitors to fill in. Memoradum of sale arrives for the property we wish to purchase. Also contacted a surveyor for a home buyers report to be carried out in due course.
    04/10 - MA emails to ask for Valuation fee. - Holding off for now until those below us in the chain are at that point. The Mortgage company are sending documents via post to read/sign.
    05/06 - We get a call to say our buyers want to pull out. They didnt realise is was leasehold, even though it said so on the listing. Panic trying to explain to the EA that its capped at 5 for the next 920 years and it isnt an issue or the freehold can be bought for 1500. She relays it and they said they'd think about it.
    06/06 - EA calls back and says they're going to go ahead with it and purchase the freehold at the same time as purchasing the house. I feel like im going to be walking on eggshells the entire moving process
    Originally posted by happytails

    Hello Happytails, I was around when you were trying to sell last time. We bought and have a tenant renting our purchase, we were planning on moving in a couple of years time from now. However recent developments mean we're going to have a go at trying to sell in the Spring..... Heaven help us. I'm currently getting quotes for some work we need doing we can't do ourselves (painting high ceilings and some replastering of blown plaster).


    Good luck with your sale, we're up in your part of the world visiting our friends in a couple of weeks time.
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 12th Oct 18, 9:56 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Hows everybody doing?
    We're still going round in circles with the last enquiry, buckets of fun!
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 12th Oct 18, 10:04 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    No progress here, my solicitor was off at the start of the week. So I'm just waiting, looking at home decor ideas.
    • Impatient Coconut
    • By Impatient Coconut 12th Oct 18, 10:12 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Impatient Coconut
    Hows everybody doing?
    We're still going round in circles with the last enquiry, buckets of fun!
    Originally posted by jennhg88
    Oh no STILL?! thats rubbish for you, i'm sorry!

    Today is completion for us! Thanks for all your support, hope the rest moves quick for you.
    Apparently i'm an adult ...
    • Abi2018
    • By Abi2018 12th Oct 18, 11:37 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abi2018
    Oh no STILL?! thats rubbish for you, i'm sorry!

    Today is completion for us! Thanks for all your support, hope the rest moves quick for you.
    Originally posted by Impatient Coconut
    Yay! Well done, that's fab!
    • Magnus91
    • By Magnus91 12th Oct 18, 1:49 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Magnus91
    Now hit the 5 months mark since the offer was accepted

    One issue with the land registry which requires more info from the local court.
    We should have gotten this info 2 weeks ago, the vendor is apparently going there in person to chase it up today.

    So mentally draining, I can't describe how much I'm looking forward to it all being over! I'm fed up of thinking about it.

    My mortgage offer runs out mid November, and I have to give notice for my current rented place at the start of the month.
    • ancilla100
    • By ancilla100 12th Oct 18, 3:30 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ancilla100
    Hi all,

    Feeling very frustrated today as it feels like I've been waiting forever to get to exchange.

    I am a FTB with no chain. My seller is not living in the property and also has no chain. The only complication with the sale is the fact that we're extending the lease as part of the sale - my seller is paying for it out of the proceeds of the sale and I'm getting the benefit of the 90 extra years to the lease.

    Here's my timeline:

    09/05/2018 Viewing of 59 Selhurst Rd
    10/05/2018 Offer made
    11/05/2018 Offer accepted
    21/05/2018 Mortgage submitted
    08/06/2018 Mortgage valuation and homebuyers report survey
    11/06/2018 Mortgage approved
    14/06/2018 Survey report received
    25/06/2018 Paid solicitor for searches
    16/07/2018 Draft contract, fixtures and fittings etc received
    28/07/2018 Second viewing and measurements taken
    01/08/2018 Amended mortgage offer letter sent (with updated solicitor as solicitor had merged with another)
    05/08/2018 Moved out of rented accommodation and into friend's spare room.
    11/08/2018 Seller paid for management pack
    20/08/2018 Lease extension documentation received
    12/09/2018 Management Leasehold pack received
    18/09/2018 My solicitor requested the missing information from the management leasehold pack.
    21/09/2018 LISA applied for with 14 day completion date
    02/10/2018 I approved Deed of Variation for lease extension and my solicitor sent it on to the seller's solicitor to be finalised.
    03/10/2018 LISA money paid to solicitor

    As of today the lease extension stuff is all finalised and ready to go upon completion but we are still waiting for the final missing items from the management company. The first isssue with that was that the management pack wasn't even paid for and requested until 3 months after my offer had been accepted and since then, they've been taking their own sweet time about everything. I've been chasing my solicitor and the estate agent but I feel powerless to move things on.

    Any advice/moral support gratefully received!
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 12th Oct 18, 4:13 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    s_glover
    Literally waiting to exchange here!

    We to view the property we are buying again on Sunday. All is well and the sellers were really helpful. Of the dates suggested by our buyer, we agreed a completion date of 24th would work for both of us. Informed our solicitors of this earlier this week. Received answers to our final enquiries yesterday and received completion statements, hoping to exchange today.

    Our solicitor spoke with our buyers solicitor this morning but it appears they can't get hold of their client to confirm! Looks like exchange will be next week now.
    • mouthscradle
    • By mouthscradle 13th Oct 18, 9:04 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    mouthscradle
    Well this is frustrating...

    10/08/18 - Our house listed for sale.
    22/08/18 - Received two offers on our house.
    23/08/18 - Accepted asking price offer from FTBs.
    24/08/18 - Instructed solicitor to start on sale.
    27/08/18 - Returned our completed Property Info Form and Fixtures and Fittings forms, and copies of all house paperwork and guarantees, etc.
    30/08/18 - Survey done on our house.
    10/09/18 - Viewed house to purchase (after viewing many others in the weeks prior). Made offer.
    18/09/18 - Increased offer finally accepted after some to-ing and fro-ing.
    24/09/18 - Started new job! Applied for proof of salary letter from HR.
    03/10/18 - Salary letter received, phoned First Direct to do initial part of application for porting and additional borrowing. Uploaded payslips and salary letter as requested.
    04/10/18 - Heard documents all accepted by FD, made appointment for full application phone call. Signed and returned sale contract, and answered buyers' enquiries.
    10/10/18 - Full mortgage application phone call.
    11/10/18 - Mortgage Key Facts received by email. Phoned to pay booking fee. Our independent Homebuyers survey carried out on purchase.
    12/10/18 - Heard from purchase EA - vendors are not answering her calls or replying to emails. EA and their solicitor are both chasing them. Vendors still haven't returned their initial paperwork to their solicitor so ours can't start searches yet. Arghhhhh! EA is getting cross with them.
    Told FD valuation booked in for 16/10/18 on our purchase.

    We are hoping to complete by 5th December, but given how our vendors still haven't sent back their initial paperwork and it's been over 3 weeks since they accepted our offer, I'm not holding out much hope...
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
    • slowrunningteacher
    • By slowrunningteacher 13th Oct 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    slowrunningteacher
    I know how you feel.
    Our offer was accepted on 05/09/18.
    Due to one thing and another our sellers have only just got a solicitor. This was supposed to be a quick sale! Our solicitors also won't start the searches until they have a draft contract.
    At least our mortgage is fully sorted and the deeds are signed
    • Abi2018
    • By Abi2018 15th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abi2018
    Completion set for a week today! Yay!
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 15th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Congrats Abi!


    Just chased my solicitor about the pending enquiry as not heard anything since Wednesday. Was really hoping to exchange by tomorrow. Watch this space.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 15th Oct 18, 1:47 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    s_glover
    Just waiting on our buyers, buyer now to give the nod for exchange.
    • mooma29
    • By mooma29 15th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    mooma29
    I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my buyers to sort out their mortgage, but my onward purchase is starting to get a bit twitchy now ( it has been 3 months so I don't blame them). I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to put ours back up for sale, but I'm not in a position to do so until the end of the month, because I'm going on holiday in a few days (so self inflicted delay, but boy I need the holiday
    I'm trying to be zen like in my approach to this, if my supposed buyers haven't sorted it out by then, I will re-advertise and someone will come along eventually who wants it, if I don't get the house we are trying to buy in the mean time so be it, there will be another, the 400 paid out for solicitors so far will have to be chalked up to experience I guess .......
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 15th Oct 18, 3:59 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    s_glover
    I like your thinking Mooma. Go and enjoy your holiday (where are you going?) and see what the position is when you return.

    Easy to say and harder to do but stressing doesn't help anyone at the end of the day.
    • Abi2018
    • By Abi2018 15th Oct 18, 5:06 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abi2018
    Just exchanged this afternoon, all set for next Monday. I can't believe it!

    Make sure you enjoy your holiday! I've just been on mine so stressing less over the weekend and things have all come together! Best of luck to everyone!
    • bigstevex
    • By bigstevex 15th Oct 18, 9:57 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    bigstevex
    We're losing the plot over our sale, called solicitor for an update at 1pm today, not available, will call me back. 430pm comes... still nothing so call them up, told he's now in a meeting an can't talk to me, will call me tomorrow



    Who's in the wrong here? Me for calling twice or them for being unresponsive
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 16th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    jennhg88
    We're losing the plot over our sale, called solicitor for an update at 1pm today, not available, will call me back. 430pm comes... still nothing so call them up, told he's now in a meeting an can't talk to me, will call me tomorrow



    Who's in the wrong here? Me for calling twice or them for being unresponsive
    Originally posted by bigstevex

    I don't think either are "in the wrong". But it was only half a day and maybe they didn't have much to say. For me, their actions today would determine how cross I get!
    • bigstevex
    • By bigstevex 16th Oct 18, 1:10 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    bigstevex
    I had 1 quick question for them, have the sellers responded to the final query as it’s been a week. Surely that takes 5 seconds. It’s now gone 1pm and still no phone call from them...
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 16th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Email them? I would state I'm going to call them again at 4pm if no reply by then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,627Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter