Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,520Posts
    • 9,227Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 211
    • SG27
    • By SG27 14th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    SG27
    Just completed!

Just got to wait now for the vendor to let us know they are out so we can go and collect the keys from them.
    • willington68
    • By willington68 14th Sep 18, 12:41 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    willington68
    many thanks Tamsin
    • pinkduvetdiva
    • By pinkduvetdiva 15th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    pinkduvetdiva
    Hooray! So glad to see that you've completed at last!
    Just completed!

Just got to wait now for the vendor to let us know they are out so we can go and collect the keys from them.
    Originally posted by SG27
    • TickTok
    • By TickTok 16th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    TickTok
    Apologies, it's been a few weeks since I've updated. Wish I had an exciting conclusion to post but the process has been ticking along painfully slow.

My original post is buried somewhere in this thread but I'm a FTB purchasing a leasehold flat in London. Mortgage lender is HSBC. Chain free on both sides (vendor is a BTL investor who has decided to sell on and retire, and the flat is vacant). We both want a quick sale. Should be simples, right?

My amended timeline so far...

Week 1
    06/07: Offer accepted
    09/07: Solicitor instructed. Memorandum of sale received from EA.
    10/07: Full application submitted to HSBC by L&C
    11/07: I submit original documents to L&C branch.

Week 2
    16/07: HSBC's valuation done.
    (Waiting for contract pack from seller)

Week 3
    23/07: L&C confirm valuation is fine.
    (...still waiting for contract pack from seller. Slightly worried/annoyed that seller is dragging his feet.)

Week 4
    02/08: Success! Mortgage approval emailed to me today.
    (....STILL waiting for contract pack from seller. I keep prompting my solicitors to chase because they seem content to wait indefinitely. Also prompting EA to tell seller to get on with it.)

Week 5:
    09/08: Contract pack received, finally!

Week 6:
    16/08: I review contract pack and send my questions to my solicitors - not many, just 5-6 points of clarification.

Week 7:
    w/c 20/08: No updates from my solicitors. I chase to find out if searches have started and when enquiries will be sent to seller's solicitors. Radio silence.

Week 8:
    w/c 27/08 Continued silence from my solicitors. I escalate to the Managing Partner, who is overseeing the trainee handling my case. I tell them to copy me on any outgoing correspondence since they are so rubbish at providing updates.
    31/08: Enquiries are sent to seller. Thankfully questions are relatively straightforward and not asking for anything that would take ages to produce. I also receive confirmation that searches are in progress.

Week 9:
    w/c 03/09: Waiting for seller's response to enquiries

Week 10:
    w/c 10/09: No updates from my solicitor but Estate Agent lets me know that responses to enquiries have been returned to my solicitors.

At this point the EA is keeping me better informed than my own solicitors. I'm hoping there are no lengthy follow up questions required and we can sign the contract and exchange soon.

We're both keen to complete by end of month. There's added pressure for me because my landlord is not renewing the lease on my rental. So if this drags on past September, I'll need to find somewhere to live temporarily and also find storage for my belongings. I hope it doesn't come to that!
    • Impatient Coconut
    • By Impatient Coconut 16th Sep 18, 6:24 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Impatient Coconut
    Any progression for you? It has even confirmed for me that the replies are back and being checked, so hopefully not long!
    Originally posted by Abi2018
    We've had a week of radio silence from the solicitor. Getting frustrated now!
    How about you?
    Apparently i'm an adult ...
    • Impatient Coconut
    • By Impatient Coconut 16th Sep 18, 6:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Impatient Coconut
    Ahhh they have been checked through but still missing things from the replies!

Blooming nightmare! Hope they are back this week.
    • Shellsey84
    • By Shellsey84 16th Sep 18, 11:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shellsey84
    Iíve been waiting on a report from my solicitors since 3rd August. Every time I call they are working on it and should have it finished and sent by the end of the week....... thatís happened 4 times now!
    Theyíve cleared their schedule to finish it tomorrow and I should have something by the end of the week...
    Iím not holding my breath. Searches were requested back in June!
    I appreciate that as itís a leasehold, shared ownership property that it will take a little longer and be more in-depth, but Iím getting slightly impatient now!

Housing association solicitors are on their case to exchange (I was told by my sols) but Iíve not even seen a lease pack or contract yet.

I have never done this before so not sure what I should be expecting!
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 17th Sep 18, 2:16 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Trying to sort out the collection of keys for tomorrow and this email comes in from the estate agent - now remember we had to move the completion date as they NEEDED Tuesday morning to finish the packing.
    "Keys are slightly tricky! (not through a fault of their own!)
    They have to be in Lincolnshire for 7:30 tomorrow morning and therefore I might miss them going past the office.
    What they are suggesting if you wish to pick them up tomorrow, is to leave them with the owners of the post office, if that suits you? Otherwise, if you do not need them straight away, plan B is that they will take them to Lincolnshire, send them back to me and I can meet you either here in the office or at Cosford to hand over the keys directly? (purely thinking for security on the latter).
    Do let me know which suits you best and we can go from there."
    a) yes we need the keys tomorrow and b) where the frell is the post office or do the owners of the post office live. Strangely as we haven't moved in yet, WE DON'T KNOW. How can this not be their fault - how can they only know at midday the day before that they won't be in the county to hand over the keys especially given that their removals are due to continue packing tomorrow? I really do despair.
    Last edited by TamsinC; 17-09-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 17th Sep 18, 2:24 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Roo89
    Trying to sort out the collection of keys for tomorrow and this email comes in from the estate agent - now remember we had to move the completion date as they NEEDED Tuesday morning to finish the packing.
    They have to be in Lincolnshire for 7:30 tomorrow morning and therefore I might miss them going past the office.
    What they are suggesting if you wish to pick them up tomorrow, is to leave them with the owners of the post office, if that suits you? Otherwise, if you do not need them straight away, plan B is that they will take them to Lincolnshire, send them back to me and I can meet you either here in the office or at Cosford to hand over the keys directly? (purely thinking for security on the latter).
    a) yes we need the keys tomorrow and b) where the frell is the post office or do the owners of the post office live. Strangely as we haven't moved in yet, WE DON'T KNOW. How can this not be their fault - how can they only know at pm the day before that they won't be in the county to hand over the keys especially given that their removals are due to continue packing tomorrow? I really do despair.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    O gosh Tamsin, your vendors are complete whack-a-doodles aren't they?!

I agree with you, there's no way they can say it's not their fault. Especially when they set the date for completion!

It's the final hurdle though and you'll never have to deal with them again, hopefully the EA can sort the key situation for you so you can get in tomorrow and (finally) start to enjoy your new home
    • MarwoodS
    • By MarwoodS 17th Sep 18, 2:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarwoodS
    This is my second post and disappointing to see that very little has happened for us in the past month!

06/04/18- Put property on market
    28/06/18- Accepted offer on our property
    29/06/18- Mortgage AIP
    02/07/18- Offer accepted on new property
    04/07/18- Appointed solicitor
    06/07/18- Mortgage application made
    12/07/18- Filled in all solicitor forms and returned
    17/07/18- Buyer survey completed
    18/07/18- Mortgage offer received
    31/07/18- Draft contracts received with sellers property info form and fixtures and fittings
    01/08/18- Some searches have come back including water, 1 query on soakaways
    16/08/18- Enquires received from buyers solictior and answered
    22/08/18- Survey completed on new property
    Update
    29/08/18- Survey report returned and no issues as suspected
    31/8/18- Called estate agent to be told good news, nearly all queries are complete and just waiting for FTB at bottom of chains mortgage offer to be confirmed, due any day
    7/09/18- FTB still not received offer and the delay is caused by them changing their provider for cheaper deal, but told not to worry as paper work due any day. Also that new provider has carried out valuation survey
    14/9/18- Chased again to be told their is a delay with the lender but not to worry as everything is okay.

Starting to get concerned now as this has been ongoing for 3 weeks with the story changing slightly everytime and now holding up exchange date!
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 17th Sep 18, 3:05 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    TamsinC
    O gosh Tamsin, your vendors are complete whack-a-doodles aren't they?!
    Originally posted by Roo89
    Complete and utter - and yet everything is our fault apparently
    • harz99
    • By harz99 17th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    harz99
    a) yes we need the keys tomorrow and b) where the frell is the post office or do the owners of the post office live. Strangely as we haven't moved in yet, WE DON'T KNOW. How can this not be their fault - how can they only know at midday the day before that they won't be in the county to hand over the keys especially given that their removals are due to continue packing tomorrow? I really do despair.
    Originally posted by TamsinC

I think (assuming tomorrow is completion day) I'd have been telling them/the solicitor/the EA that they have to ensure that they have the keys available for collection by you at either the house, their Solicitor or their EA on completion day!
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 17th Sep 18, 5:32 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    TamsinC
    I think (assuming tomorrow is completion day) I'd have been telling them/the solicitor/the EA that they have to ensure that they have the keys available for collection by you at either the house, their Solicitor or their EA on completion day!
    Originally posted by harz99
    tomorrow is indeed completion day - unfortunately their solicitor is in Kent, the house is in Wales. We offered to go pick keys up at the house this evening but apparently that's a no go. The EA was going to meet up with them at three am but we decided that was silly and so will go to the post office in the village and pick the keys up.

We are a bit miffed. Put it this way if there are any issues with the house {dirty, stuff left etc} we shall be having words.
    Last edited by TamsinC; 17-09-2018 at 5:39 PM.
    • Abi2018
    • By Abi2018 17th Sep 18, 5:45 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abi2018
    We've had a week of radio silence from the solicitor. Getting frustrated now!
    How about you?
    Originally posted by Impatient Coconut
    I'm still at the same stage too! Let's hope things get going for us both soon! EA has said that the final replies have hopefully been sent last week but are being checked through, just a waiting game for both you and I isn't it! I feel as though I have been stuck in the same position for weeks! Hopefully not much longer!
    • Impatient Coconut
    • By Impatient Coconut 18th Sep 18, 8:37 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Impatient Coconut
    I'm still at the same stage too! Let's hope things get going for us both soon! EA has said that the final replies have hopefully been sent last week but are being checked through, just a waiting game for both you and I isn't it! I feel as though I have been stuck in the same position for weeks! Hopefully not much longer!
    Everything thats going on behind closed doors makes it feel like nothing is happening which is frustrating.

Really hoping for exchange next week - we're not waiting on anything else now so its completely possible!
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 18th Sep 18, 9:07 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    jennhg88
    • House on market - 26 April
    • Accepted offer on house - 22 May
    • Reserved new build - 25 May
    • Full mortgage application in - 31 May
    • Mortgage offer received - 14 June
    • Ready to exchange on purchase - 18 June
    • Enquiries received and answered on sale 14 - 26 June
    • Buyer changed solicitor - 30 June
    • New contract, enquires etc dealt with 13 Jul - 01 Aug
    • Land Registry issue with title plan of sale resolved - 07 Aug
    • Informed ready to exchange on sale 08 Aug.
    • Informed bottom of the chain have now requested survey but will not book it until solicitor returns from holiday on 20 Aug - 09 Aug.
    • Survey for bottom of chain property booked 23 Aug.
    • Bottom of chain buyer requested asbestos survey - conducted 29 Aug.
    • Chaos with bottom of the chain buyer until 05 Sep
    • Put our house back on the market - 06 Sep
    • House valued for part ex - 11 Sep
    • Accepted offer! We're getting our new house!! - 13 Sep
    • Updated reservation form received - 17 Sep
    • Amended mortgage offer for increased amount received - 17 Sep

Plodding along now. Solicitor is waiting for part ex paperwork and I'm waiting for a call from the sales manager to arrange a viewing of current house.
    • mooma29
    • By mooma29 18th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    mooma29
    This is my second post and disappointing to see that very little has happened for us in the past month!

29/06/18- Mortgage AIP
    31/07/18- Draft contracts received with sellers property info form and fixtures and fittings
    Update
    31/8/18- Called estate agent to be told good news, nearly all queries are complete and just waiting for FTB at bottom of chains mortgage offer to be confirmed, due any day
    7/09/18- FTB still not received offer and the delay is caused by them changing their provider for cheaper deal, but told not to worry as paper work due any day. Also that new provider has carried out valuation survey
    14/9/18- Chased again to be told their is a delay with the lender but not to worry as everything is okay.

Starting to get concerned now as this has been ongoing for 3 weeks with the story changing slightly everytime and now holding up exchange date!
    Originally posted by MarwoodS
    similar story to mine that is. waiting for my buyers ( the FTB at the bottom of the chain) to sort their mortgage out, they have been faffing abuot with that since the beginning of August. I am expecting there to be some movement on that sometime this week, BUT they havent sent us a single enquiry or anything yet either, so I think I still have a bit of a mountain to climb. ( and i think my solicitor is about to go on holiday too I genuinely feel your pain, the waiting when you know things are happening is one thing, the waiting when you suspect nothing is happening is just blinking painful.
    • MarwoodS
    • By MarwoodS 18th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarwoodS
    Its very annoying Mooma29! New update to day...but mortgage still not sorted!

29/06/18- Mortgage AIP
    14/09/18- Chased again to be told their is a delay with the lender but not to worry as everything is okay.
    Update
    18/09/18- EA rang today to say that the mortgage is still stuck with the underwriters, she did say she has confirmed that lender is experiencing delay. However in better news, the FTB want to set a completion date which has now been agreed by all parties for 11/10/18. Fingers crossed!!
    Last edited by MarwoodS; 18-09-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 18th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Well, we have completed - yay - BUT . . . no keys - can't get into the house. Vendors left us an external mailbox key. And after all the hassle with needing to be in a different county by early morning were still at the house mid afternoon. The garden has not had all the rubbish removed despite us making sure they agreed to do so. Well !!!!ed off today. The keys SHOULD be with the estate agents tomorrow {they are express delivering them}. A complaint has been put into the solicitors about them. No idea what good it will do though.
    • mouthscradle
    • By mouthscradle 18th Sep 18, 8:42 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    mouthscradle
    We had an offer accepted today, and our sale is well underway. So guess that means I'm going to be on this thread more and more often over the coming weeks!
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

4,928Users online

Martin's Twitter