Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,519Posts
    • 9,227Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 196
    • Magnus91
    • By Magnus91 7th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Magnus91
    Estate agent finally got in contact with the seller and apparently we will be receiving responses to our enquires today.

Although I'm not very hopeful because it took us 7 weeks to get draft contracts and every time they would say "you'll have it by the end of the week".

I don't understand why people can't just be honest
    Originally posted by Magnus91
    As predicted, we have not received the responses yet, EA chasing up AGAIN.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Two very frustrating hours on the phone to the solicitors from my hubby today. In the end he was telling her how to do her job. So annoyed. I feel a formal complaint coming on. So FINALLY managed to get her to accept a completion date from us to talk about with the vendors solicitors, FINALLY got her to agree to send out the contracts for us to sign and get back, FINALLY got her to agree to complete the draft statement of monies so I know where to send the deposit etc to. GRRRRRRR

• cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 8th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    cheeky-peach
    Finally exchanged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completion date is set for 20th and we are really excited to finally see the end in sight!
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 8th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Our land registry issue is resolved!

The other land registry issue at the bottom of the chain is nearly resolved too, it's just with their solicitors now to finalise.

Just this pointless stupid survey on the property at the bottom of the chain to get through, then we might finally be able to exchange!?
    Aiming for completion date of 22nd.
    Originally posted by jennhg88
    Twiddling thumbs twiddling thumbs
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 60,018 Posts
    • 53,378 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    So FINALLY managed to get her to accept a completion date from us to talk about with the vendors solicitors,
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Why aren't you discussing this through the EA? Not the solicitors that set the date, but the parties in the chain. Exchange needs to effected first as well. Setting a target date is all well and good. However needs to fit in with everyone elses plans.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 8th Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Looks like we're exchanging this Friday and completing next Friday. Woohoo! Considering we had our bid accepted 16th April and mortgage approved 24th May, this has been a long time coming.
    • PassingOutInTheParade
    • By PassingOutInTheParade 8th Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    PassingOutInTheParade
    I'm getting increasingly frustrated and depressed with the lack of progress on my purchase.

We are in rented, cash buyers, and had an offer accepted on a Probate property in mid May 2018.

My solicitor is still waiting on the draft contract from the vendors' solicitor, even though they have requested it several times.

The estate agent is working his socks off to get answers as to why there is a hold-up but keeps getting fobbed-off.

After 13 weeks, I'm wondering whether to draw a deadline just for my own sanity. Trouble is, the house is the house of my dreams but my partner is quite ill and needs to move ASAP to a more suitable house (which the dream home is).

Wish we knew how long a piece of string actually is!
    • KingMob
    • By KingMob 9th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    KingMob
    I'm sure people are sick of me posting about my woes but appreciate any opinions on this.

Completion scheduled for 15th, exchange same day. Requested earlier exchange but been told my solicitor only does same day. As if currently stands I have exceptionally little faith in my solicitor.

Was told at start of month responses to enquiries had been received but was emailed on Monday to be told they haven't and that my solicitor would not be sending out the offer until they have. Have been talking to vendor and his estate agent who have both been solid and they provided the information weeks ago. They are not aware of any holdup.

Been respectful and have left no more than one voicemail or a day but not getting responses. Solicitor uses an online tracking system which is 100% useless. Over last 2 weeks it's been updated to say 4 individual letters and an SMS have sent to me, received nothing. Queried this in past and was told was a system error, queried again on Tuesday with no response.

Solicitor is part of a large chain and in a nearby town (around 10 miles away), will organize to take a day off to go stand on doorstep but what is a realistic expectation for when I could exchange/complete. Vendor is keen to exchange, I'm FTB they are chain free and have moved already. Unfortunately I haven't even received my solicitor bank details, so haven't transferred deposit yet.
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 9th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    jennhg88
    I'm sure people are sick of me posting about my woes but appreciate any opinions on this.

Completion scheduled for 15th, exchange same day. Requested earlier exchange but been told my solicitor only does same day. As if currently stands I have exceptionally little faith in my solicitor.

Was told at start of month responses to enquiries had been received but was emailed on Monday to be told they haven't and that my solicitor would not be sending out the offer until they have. Have been talking to vendor and his estate agent who have both been solid and they provided the information weeks ago. They are not aware of any holdup.

Been respectful and have left no more than one voicemail or a day but not getting responses. Solicitor uses an online tracking system which is 100% useless. Over last 2 weeks it's been updated to say 4 individual letters and an SMS have sent to me, received nothing. Queried this in past and was told was a system error, queried again on Tuesday with no response.

Solicitor is part of a large chain and in a nearby town (around 10 miles away), will organize to take a day off to go stand on doorstep but what is a realistic expectation for when I could exchange/complete. Vendor is keen to exchange, I'm FTB they are chain free and have moved already. Unfortunately I haven't even received my solicitor bank details, so haven't transferred deposit yet.
    Originally posted by KingMob
    What on earth?! I don't think they can insist on that. Not so much risk if FTB and no chain but imagine if you had a long chain and were expected to exchange and complete on the same day
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 9th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Why aren't you discussing this through the EA? Not the solicitors that set the date, but the parties in the chain. Exchange needs to effected first as well. Setting a target date is all well and good. However needs to fit in with everyone elses plans.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    I have been - and this is what we all agreed - but getting the solicitors to talk to us about it was hell on earth.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Aug 18, 10:30 AM
    • 60,018 Posts
    • 53,378 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I have been - and this is what we all agreed - but getting the solicitors to talk to us about it was hell on earth.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Solicitors aren't going to guarantee dates. For the simple fact that they are unable too. With property transactions they are often last late hiccups. Better to let them get on with their job than waste time which could be spent more productively.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • sondy
    • By sondy 9th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sondy
    We're also waiting to exchange. Part exing on our newbuild - hoping for some news today as the new house is due for completion tomorrow! Our timeline:

23rd June: Reserved newbuild and appointed solicitors. Paid for searches
    27th June: Mortgage Approved
    28th June: House approved for Part Exchange
    29th June: House viewing - offer made and accepted.
    5th July: Our solicitor sent enquiries.
    26th July: Searches back
    1st August: Chased enquiries
    2nd August: Draft Contract Pack through - lots of mistakes made by our solicitors - pinged it back.
    7th August: Updated contract pack sent

Our 'deadline for exchange' to keep our current discount and incentives is tomorrow: 10th August. House is also due for completion then. We are hoping to be in by the 20th as we stupdly bought our sofa a little early and the last date they can deliver is the 21st. Fingers crossed we get some news today. Our solicitors are closed tomorrow for auditing.
    Last edited by sondy; 09-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 9th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Solicitors aren't going to guarantee dates. For the simple fact that they are unable too. With property transactions they are often last late hiccups. Better to let them get on with their job than waste time which could be spent more productively.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    I know that - I'm not asking them to guarantee the date - just to talk to us instead of completely ignoring our emails and calls and not moving forward with the work, and to have a date to work towards - I have been trying for 4 weeks to get them to even reply to an email. We are ready to go - searches, survey, queries etc all done, just waiting for them to send the contract so we can sign it so we can actually get to exchange. Our vendors are nearly ready to pull the plug if things don't move forward soon.

There is just us and the vendors - both chain free now
    • 2004nsnazir
    • By 2004nsnazir 9th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    2004nsnazir
    Finally exchanged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completion date is set for 20th and we are really excited to finally see the end in sight!
    Originally posted by cheeky-peach
    congratts!

how long did it take from offer being accepted?
    • PassingOutInTheParade
    • By PassingOutInTheParade 9th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    PassingOutInTheParade
    13 weeks from offer accepted to draft contract being sent!
    13 weeks from offer accepted to draft contract being sent by the seller's solicitor.

Is this a record?
    I'll bet not............
    • Trixsie1989
    • By Trixsie1989 9th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Trixsie1989
    Still waiting on the fixtures list and have contacted solicitors and estate agents to chase this up.
    I'm sure the EA is fed up of me calling them though, they huffed when I spoke to them on the phone yesterday
    Originally posted by Trixsie1989
    And another email chain to EA and solicitor, I have emphasized that we are now only waiting on these last few bits to exchange so EA is actively hurrying vendors solicitors in providing the information we are missing! Hopefully not too much longer!
    Debt free finally
    First house purchase ... 2018
    • Tiffyb
    • By Tiffyb 9th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tiffyb
    Hi guys!!

Here we are so far,

14/7 viewing, offer, offer accepted!! (yay!!)
    21/7 Solicitors Details sent to estate agent.
    around 15/7 memorandum of sale agreed.

Fast forward to the last two weeks - AIP agreed (finally!!)
    last two days the conveyancey people (like my legal terms hehe) have started speaking to the other side and doing searches etc.
    Today we got tolld our mortgage lender is fine with us and just need to do a house valuation!
    We have no chain and nor does the seller, so i am hoping for speedy speed.
    • KingMob
    • By KingMob 9th Aug 18, 8:52 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    KingMob
    What on earth?! I don't think they can insist on that. Not so much risk if FTB and no chain but imagine if you had a long chain and were expected to exchange and complete on the same day
    Originally posted by jennhg88
    Whole process has been a nightmare, fortunately been lucky the vendor is a really nice/helpful couple and their EA has been very straightforward with me. My solicitor been dragging heels for weeks possibly due to work load. Final hurdles cleared this afternoon after some shouting and received documentation with view to complete next week.

Don't know how anyone could have managed a chain in this scenario, taken me until today to even determine when to book leave/movers/etc.
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 10th Aug 18, 8:32 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Well my sale and purchase are ready to go, BUT bottom of the chain (my buyer!!!8217;s sale) has a massive delay that the EA told me was previously sorted. Absolutely fuming and could potentially lose my purchase.
    Today is going to be fun.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 10th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    FTBNow
    We are now ready to go our end: sent funds for deposit today to our solicitor and given them authority to exchange over the phone. Now just been told that the vendors solicitor is still checking the file for completion and are unable to advise when the review will be completed.

So we need to give authority again.

What a nightmare: the vendors solicitor has been nothing but a pain from the start with constant hold-ups. We are hoping to complete next Friday and our vendor is a primary school teacher who is desperate to complete.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

727Posts Today

6,324Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• Follow Martin