Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,519Posts
    • 9,227Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 195
    • 123kl
    • By 123kl 4th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    123kl
    searches
    I know every situation is different but how long did everyone's searches take to come back? thanks
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 4th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    I know every situation is different but how long did everyone's searches take to come back? thanks
    Originally posted by 123kl
    first set (not council) about 10 days
    second set (council) about 2 weeks
    • SG27
    • By SG27 5th Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    SG27
    1 week. My solicitor said some councils take up 10 weeks though. So depends where you are.
    • TickTok
    • By TickTok 5th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    TickTok
    Yep, FTB here too, and no chain as the property I'm buying is empty!

Apparently he went on holiday for a month before giving in the paperwork, and then they said there was a problem with the land registry that they needed to solve but wouldn't say what it was, I just think it was all stalling tactics!

I've been keeping an eye on rightmove this whole time tbh! It does help that this place is perfect and nothing even close in comparison has come up so at least I didn't have to think about whether I wanted to cut my losses and find somewhere else!

Our final search should be back on Monday, so I'm going to ring around and chase everything up on Tuesday, hopefully we're finally close to the end now!

Wednesday will mark week 13 since the offer was accepted, which doesn't seem too bad seeing as I think the average is 12 weeks and we've had so much problems?
    Originally posted by Magnus91
    Ugh, the games some vendors play! I know what you mean about hanging in there because its the perfect place. I just wanted a flat I could fix up a bit, but I was fortunate to get both a balcony AND designated parking (and I don't even own a car), and location is perfect, too.

It's great that the end is in sight for you, I hope all goes well with your searches. Every success story I read on here gives me a little hope.
    • TickTok
    • By TickTok 5th Aug 18, 11:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    TickTok
    Your council's website may give you an indication of how long they take to process search requests.

Mine published a time frame of 15 to 20 working days, which is longer than most I think. They've also warned that due to staffing and technical issues they have a backlog - which helps to manage expectations. When I rang, they said it was taking about 18 days.
    • devildolly5
    • By devildolly5 6th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    devildolly5
    Updates in bold

Timelines so far
    15/5 Our house goes up for sale
    1/6 Accept offer on our house
    20/6 Offer accepted on a house, and our buyers have their mortgage offered
    21/6 All documents to our solicitor for both sale and purchase
    21/6 Buyers tell estate agent they want to complete by end of July!!! Dream on.
    22/6 Mortgage applied for new house
    26/6 Contacted solicitor to check they received the money on account - radio silence
    27/6 Mortgage offer received (super quick!)
    28/6 Waiting for something to happen.......
    6/8 Contracts signed and all enquirers answered for our sale. We are good to go here I think. Waiting for searches to come back for our purchase (estimated 10th August), and for the vendors solicitor to pass the answers to our enquirers to ours, so we can get the contract signed.

Buyers want early August exchange. I would love to but cant see it happening unless everything falls into place this week.

Its Monday, so back to sending chase up emails to everyone finding out whats going on.

Did anyone chase up their searches, and did it speed things along? Our new council doesn't say how long this will take on the website and there are also searches to be done at the water company etc. This will most likely be the last thing between us and exchange.
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 6th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Roo89
    Week 25 since offer accepted
    Everyone has said they want to complete by end of August, which will be perfect as our mortgage offer (and our vendor's mortgage offer) expires 10th September.
    Originally posted by Roo89

How can they all say they want to complete before the end of August, when they haven't responded to an outstanding enquiry!

We've been ready since April, but our vendor has been waiting for an answer to one enquiry since then, apparently their vendor (vendor2) responded 2 weeks ago but their solicitor hasn't sent the response to our vendor's solicitor.

Everything is waiting on vendor2, and they are really starting to !!!! me off. I know there were issues with their first 2 purchases but that was mostly out of their control. They finally had an offer accepted June 25th and keep saying how they want to exchange before kids go back to school etc but nothing is happening
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 6th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    s_glover
    A quick update (new points in bold) from me:

April 18 Informal mortgage offer
    17/04/18 Put our house on the market
    20/06/18 Accepted an offer on our house
    09/07/18 Valuation on our house
    17/07/18 Had our offer accepted on new house
    18/07/18 Homebuyers survey completed on our house
    01/08/18 Formal Mortgage Application Made and DIP given (subject valuation and paperwork)
    06/08/18 Instructed surveyor to carry out Homebuyer Report

Paperwork to be sent to mortgage supplier 07/08/18 and hopefully valuation completed this week too.

Last edited by s_glover; 06-08-2018 at 2:30 PM.
    • thethirdbar
    • By thethirdbar 6th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    thethirdbar
    Been lurking surreptitiously on this thread since January ! Glad to finally be able to join... 7 months in and counting.

our timeline:
    late Dec - 'MIP' online with Trussle... assumed that would be enough for viewing with EAs as we weren't really planning on offering on anything just yet, but...
    31st Dec - offer submitted to EA
    2nd Jan - offer accepted
    3rd Jan - engaged broker & provided all info
    30th Jan - DIP with nationwide
    [Horrendous void of time where our vendor fails to find a new property to buy. I read what feels like every single thread on MSE house buying forum and become essentially an expert on the whole process ].
    17th May - offer verbally accepted on a new property - back in touch with broker who resubmits our Nationwide DIP
    18th May - original vendor lets us know they've decided not to sell after all. What a shock. Spooky timing, but all for the good.
    22nd May - new DIP declined. panic ! our circumstances haven't changed except for the better; purchase price is the same. aaargh why?!. Broker submits new DIP with new lender.
    23rd May - declined. what in the heck. we're in a good position except for 95% LTV and one tiny 5yr old mobile phone default. Frustration. Broker has alternative option which overall appears to be a better deal so not sure why this was a 3rd choice. Broker came recommended by family members so have to have faith he'll come through...
    25th May - written offer acceptance finally comes through
    25th May - DIP agreed with new lender.
    4th June - full application submitted - there was a bit of a delay as they wanted up to date payslips / statements as the last ones they'd had were for April.

[Horrendous void of time where, having released a very competitive rate, our small lender is drowned under a deluge of applications and advises a 3-week wait to process ours.]

28th June - lender confirms valuation instructed

[Further void of time where lender/surveyor plays communication tennis with Purplebricks/vendor to try and schedule survey. Eventually vendor provides us her mum's phone number to pass on to the surveyor to arrange directly. Valuation scheduled for 12th July]

17th July - valuation report comes back - downvalued by £10k. lol. Explain situation to vendor who agrees to consider new offer.

18th July - vendor rejects new offer.

19th July - we increase our offer by £2.5k. Anxious. Really really don't want to start the whole process again but this is the maximum we can justify given our low LTV.

24th July - vendor accepts. PRAISE BE.

26th July - mortgage offer received !! oh my god.

In the meantime our solicitors have been beavering away - we've had searches and enquiries back and I've just had a message from them stating that they've sent out our draft contract pack. How exciting ! Could this really be happening ? Haven't even started to consider dates till now but now I'm hopeful exchange could happen in Aug... now hoping to exchange before 24th Aug to coincide with our rental period, so we can give notice and leave by end Sept. We've been in our flat for over 5 years so it's all feeling a bit scary - moving hasn't felt like a real prospect till now !

To date this has been a painful, painful process... ee this house buying lark is fun, in't it? Best wishes to everyone else currently stuck in the same boat, hope you all get good news very soon.
    Last edited by thethirdbar; 06-08-2018 at 1:06 PM.
    • FTB0101
    • By FTB0101 6th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FTB0101
    My timeline using Aldermore through a broker
    AIP 22/06
    Offer made and accepted 27/06
    Full Application 04/07
    Solicitor instructed 04/07
    Valuation instructed 10/07
    Draft contract received 11/07
    initial enquiries raised 11/07
    Searches Requested 11/07
    Valuation completed 12/07
    Additional information requested 19/07
    searches received 24/07
    Additonal information provided 28/07
    Validation call 03/07
    Mortgage offer 06/08
    • 123kl
    • By 123kl 6th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    123kl
    Been lurking surreptitiously on this thread since January ! Glad to finally be able to join... 7 months in and counting.

our timeline:
    late Dec - 'MIP' online with Trussle... assumed that would be enough for viewing with EAs as we weren't really planning on offering on anything just yet, but...
    31st Dec - offer submitted to EA
    2nd Jan - offer accepted
    3rd Jan - engaged broker & provided all info
    30th Jan - DIP with nationwide
    [Horrendous void of time where our vendor fails to find a new property to buy. I read what feels like every single thread on MSE house buying forum and become essentially an expert on the whole process ].
    17th May - offer verbally accepted on a new property - back in touch with broker who resubmits our Nationwide DIP
    18th May - original vendor lets us know they've decided not to sell after all. What a shock. Spooky timing, but all for the good.
    22nd May - new DIP declined. panic ! our circumstances haven't changed except for the better; purchase price is the same. aaargh why?!. Broker submits new DIP with new lender.
    23rd May - declined. what in the heck. we're in a good position except for 95% LTV and one tiny 5yr old mobile phone default. Frustration. Broker has alternative option which overall appears to be a better deal so not sure why this was a 3rd choice. Broker came recommended by family members so have to have faith he'll come through...
    25th May - written offer acceptance finally comes through
    25th May - DIP agreed with new lender.
    4th June - full application submitted - there was a bit of a delay as they wanted up to date payslips / statements as the last ones they'd had were for April.

[Horrendous void of time where, having released a very competitive rate, our small lender is drowned under a deluge of applications and advises a 3-week wait to process ours.]

28th June - lender confirms valuation instructed

[Further void of time where lender/surveyor plays communication tennis with Purplebricks/vendor to try and schedule survey. Eventually vendor provides us her mum's phone number to pass on to the surveyor to arrange directly. Valuation scheduled for 12th July]

17th July - valuation report comes back - downvalued by £10k. lol. Explain situation to vendor who agrees to consider new offer.

18th July - vendor rejects new offer.

19th July - we increase our offer by £2.5k. Anxious. Really really don't want to start the whole process again but this is the maximum we can justify given our low LTV.

24th July - vendor accepts. PRAISE BE.

26th July - mortgage offer received !! oh my god.

In the meantime our solicitors have been beavering away - we've had searches and enquiries back and I've just had a message from them stating that they've sent out our draft contract pack. How exciting ! Could this really be happening ? Haven't even started to consider dates till now but now I'm hopeful exchange could happen in Aug... now hoping to exchange before 24th Aug to coincide with our rental period, so we can give notice and leave by end Sept. We've been in our flat for over 5 years so it's all feeling a bit scary - moving hasn't felt like a real prospect till now !

To date this has been a painful, painful process... ee this house buying lark is fun, in't it? Best wishes to everyone else currently stuck in the same boat, hope you all get good news very soon.
    Originally posted by thethirdbar
    I feel you! it's nearly at 11 months for us now and I'm so done with it! just can't seem to get answers as it's further up the chain we are waiting on now and we are approaching the expiry for the 2nd mortgage offer so it's likely we will have to get another one. My patience is wearing extremely thin
    • Peb205
    • By Peb205 6th Aug 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peb205
    Mundic report cost
    A new mundic concrete test cost £400
    However I was given a copy of the mundic report for he house we were buying that was done 1 year ago so all I wanted to do was change the name of client on it. They want to charge me £222 to change the name!
    How can I get out of this or reclaim his money?
    Should I complain to the lender for needing my name on it or the test company who shouldn’t charge so much or both?
    • thethirdbar
    • By thethirdbar 6th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    thethirdbar
    I feel you! it's nearly at 11 months for us now and I'm so done with it! just can't seem to get answers as it's further up the chain we are waiting on now and we are approaching the expiry for the 2nd mortgage offer so it's likely we will have to get another one. My patience is wearing extremely thin
    11 months ! is that all in the same chain or have you had some fall through too ? i dunno how you've not just thrown the towel in at this stage and given up entirely.
    • 123kl
    • By 123kl 6th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    123kl
    11 months ! is that all in the same chain or have you had some fall through too ? i dunno how you've not just thrown the towel in at this stage and given up entirely.
    Originally posted by thethirdbar
    Yep all in the same chain. when our offer was accepted our vendors vendor dropped out so they were looking for another properties. than they were going to go into rented so that we could move and they didn't have to rush finding a house so we got everything packed up just to be told they had changed their mind and weren't going down the rent route they were going to continue looking for somewhere to buy. we kept an eye out for other places but just kept thinking...ahh won't be long and they will have found somewhere and months down the line here we are.

we are in a chain now and only waiting on one of the searches to come back from someone higher up the chain but it's taking forever.
    • KingMob
    • By KingMob 7th Aug 18, 8:03 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    KingMob
    Any tips for dealing with my solicitor being inconsistent/uncommunicative?

Posted a few times about my various woes. FTB, offer accepted in May, no chain, vendor has moved into new place. My solicitor based around 10 miles away uses an online tracking system which is not based on reality and when I query it I get told to ignore it due to system errors.

Keep getting told only outstanding issue is responses to several queries, age of garage, when house was extended, maintenance of shared driveway. These have been outstanding for 6 weeks. Spoke to vendor who assures me his solicitor has been given the info. Two weeks ago found person I've been dealing with in my solicitors stopped responding to voicemail, so wrote them a letter and phoned to escalate. Mysteriously started to receive email responses as soon as I phoned which claimed everything had been resolved and my suggested completion date of 15th August agreed.

Online tracking updated on 3rd to say offer had been posted. Late yesterday I received an email to say offer is being held until responses are received which contradicts what I was told 2 weeks ago. Also some queries about bank transactions from April, which leads me to believe my solicitor has left everything to last minute.

Getting sick of inconsistent comms from my solicitor, lack of progress and being unable to plan anything as have no confidence in completion date. Vendor and vendor's estate agent have been great, would it be reasonable to ask them to chase the vendors solicitor for an update when I expect they are not the hold up?
    • Tink_x
    • By Tink_x 7th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Tink_x
    FTB here.
    Exchange has failed twice now.
    On Friday by the time it reached top of the chain it was too late in the day so had to be restarted Monday.
    Then on Monday it exchanged all way back to top of chain again only for there to be an !!!8220;issue!!!8221; with the top house that needed sorting, apparently it!!!8217;s been sorted now but again too late in the day for exchange.
    So third attempt today. I!!!8217;m fed up and been full of anxiety for weeks.

When we offered on this house, we were told the house vendors were buying was not in a chain and they would be willing to move in with family to get a quick sale. Needless to say all of this was BS and didn!!!8217;t happen. The chain is six houses long. Losing patience.
    • IrritableFTB
    • By IrritableFTB 7th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IrritableFTB
    Morning Ladies & Gents,

I've got a quick question regarding exchanging.

Me and my partner are due to exchange on Thursday (Chain free, empty house, FTB), and I've got a *Very* panicky partner who is worrying she's missed something, we've currently got;

Mortgage approved and ready to go
    Deposit from Parents (lucky me) as a Bankers Cheque (is this an issue?)
    Copy of Letter from parents outlining the deposit is a gift (previously sent to lender)
    Parents ID and proof of address
    Home insurance starting Thursday (I've read that once the contracts for a freehold property are exchanged, the buyer is then responsible for the home insurance, if this is wrong, naughty Google)

Do we nee anything else?

All help appreciated as we don't have a clue what happens next.
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 7th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    jennhg88
    The solicitor won't ask you for authority to exchange if you have missed something.
    You're fine.
    • jedthehumanoid
    • By jedthehumanoid 7th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jedthehumanoid
    So close - one query outstanding apparently then we're ready to go. We're first time buyers purchasing a probate property so no reason for completion to take any time after exchange. Hoping to be in really soon so we can do a little bit of work before we have to leave our rented property at the end of August.

Progress! Contract and TR1 form received today to sign in readiness for exchange. Solicitor has also requested deposit funds and sent us a completion statement. Can see us taking another hit in the wallet as any completion date requested within 2 weeks of exchange attracts a fee but we want to be in ASAP. The end may be in sight.
    Originally posted by jedthehumanoid
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 7th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Our land registry issue is resolved!

The other land registry issue at the bottom of the chain is nearly resolved too, it's just with their solicitors now to finalise.

Just this pointless stupid survey on the property at the bottom of the chain to get through, then we might finally be able to exchange!?
    Aiming for completion date of 22nd.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

365Posts Today

4,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin