Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,520Posts
    • 9,227Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 189
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 5th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Some searches back, waiting on LA searches (should be back Monday), waiting for enquiries to be answered and waiting for the darned survey report! It is taking forever to be written up - it's now 9 days since the survey and nothing yet - I've chased twice but getting nowhere - good job we haven't paid for it yet.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 61,049 Posts
    • 54,260 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    We are ready to exchange this week.
    Originally posted by mattcafc
    Doesn't mean everybody else in the chain is.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • grayfox
    • By grayfox 6th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    grayfox
    Chain free purchase, waiting on the last 4 enquires which were raised two weeks ago and no reply. Estate agent isn't responding and neither is the seller's solicitors, everything was going well up until now. I'm ready to exchange but it's gone all so quiet, what else can be done to put the pressure on the vendor?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Some searches back, waiting on LA searches (should be back Monday), waiting for enquiries to be answered and waiting for the darned survey report! It is taking forever to be written up - it's now 9 days since the survey and nothing yet - I've chased twice but getting nowhere - good job we haven't paid for it yet.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Quite likely that more enquiries will need to be raised after the search results are back.

    A lot of the surveyors I know won't send out their reports until they have been paid. Presumably you have checked this isn't the case with your surveyors?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Chain free purchase, waiting on the last 4 enquires which were raised two weeks ago and no reply. Estate agent isn't responding and neither is the seller's solicitors, everything was going well up until now. I'm ready to exchange but it's gone all so quiet, what else can be done to put the pressure on the vendor?
    Originally posted by grayfox
    Depending on what the enquiries were, two weeks is not an excessive amount of time to be waiting.
    • Jtotz67
    • By Jtotz67 6th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jtotz67
    Good god WE HAVE EXCHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    I honestly never thought it would happen!


    • SG27
    • By SG27 6th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    SG27
    Thought I'd put a new purchase time line up as my sale stress is now transferred to purchase stress!

    29/4 offer accepted
    4/5 draft contract received
    9/5 enquiries raised
    31/5 some responses recieved
    25/6 exchanged on Sale!!!!
    28/6 building survey

    5/7 after chasing twice a week for the last month our solicitor finally managed to speak to theirs about the outstanding enquiries. Apparently the vendor didn't respond to the last 3 and their solicitor didnt bother asking again!

    We have discovered that our seller, as well as using Purple Bricks is also using their recommended conveyancer Premier Property Lawyers. So we have a double (purple ) brick wall to fight our way through!

    To be fair to Purple Bricks they now respond to us the same day when we email. This is only since I moaned about them on here and the PB rep intervened for us. Before that their "post sales support" was non existant.

    As for the conveyancer, they have ignored around 10 emails from my solicitor and failed to return numerous phone calls. I read up reviews of them online and it filled me with dread! They are shocking! If we dont get some movement soon we will start to view other properties. Infact if something suitable comes up we will pull out without a second thought.

    I will never buy a house marketed by purple bricks again!
    Last edited by SG27; 06-07-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    • grayfox
    • By grayfox 6th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    grayfox
    Depending on what the enquiries were, two weeks is not an excessive amount of time to be waiting.

    Waiting on:
    any planned works

    some 3 year account info, no idea what that means

    fire assessment

    management packs



    The flat is leasehold, so I guess the hold up is with the building management company?
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Quite likely that more enquiries will need to be raised after the search results are back.

    A lot of the surveyors I know won't send out their reports until they have been paid. Presumably you have checked this isn't the case with your surveyors?
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Oh yes - triple checked and triple checked again - should be here by Monday now (apparently)
    • mattcafc
    • By mattcafc 6th Jul 18, 6:49 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mattcafc
    Doesn't mean everybody else in the chain is.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    There is no chain.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TamsinC
    as using Purple Bricks is also using their recommended conveyancer Premier Property Lawyers. So we have a double (purple ) brick wall to fight our way through!

    To be fair to Purple Bricks they now respond to us the same day when we email. This is only since I moaned about them on here and the PB rep intervened for us. Before that their "post sales support" was non existant.

    As for the conveyancer, they have ignored around 10 emails from my solicitor and failed to return numerous phone calls. I read up reviews of them online and it filled me with dread! They are shocking! If we dont get some movement soon we will start to view other properties. Infact if something suitable comes up we will pull out without a second thought.

    I will never buy a house marketed by purple bricks again!
    Originally posted by SG27
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot too quickly - we sold with Purple Bricks - refused to use their conveyancers and the house sale completed in 6 weeks. It's their conveyancing service that is complete cr*p.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 6th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    SG27
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot too quickly - we sold with Purple Bricks - refused to use their conveyancers and the house sale completed in 6 weeks. It's their conveyancing service that is complete cr*p.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Thanks. To be fair PB are much better now at responding to us, it doesnt help matters that the vendors are useless too!
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Thanks. To be fair PB are much better now at responding to us, it doesnt help matters that the vendors are useless too!
    Originally posted by SG27
    Beginning to get annoyed by our vendors - seems to always be pushing for an exchange date (you remember the saga of the end of June only 5 weeks after offer and before our survey?) Beginning of last week they wanted 2nd week in July - well I've been trying to contact them for the last 9 days via the EA and they just aren't responding. So mid July isn't going to happen either, Their solicitor is being very slow too. Why give these ultimatums if you aren't willing to move forward yourself? We are bending over backwards to do everything they ask and they just keep sending us stress. I have to try hard to separate their behaviour from the house itself! Grrrrr.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 6th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    SG27
    Beginning to get annoyed by our vendors - seems to always be pushing for an exchange date (you remember the saga of the end of June only 5 weeks after offer and before our survey?) Beginning of last week they wanted 2nd week in July - well I've been trying to contact them for the last 9 days via the EA and they just aren't responding. So mid July isn't going to happen either, Their solicitor is being very slow too. Why give these ultimatums if you aren't willing to move forward yourself? We are bending over backwards to do everything they ask and they just keep sending us stress. I have to try hard to separate their behaviour from the house itself! Grrrrr.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Yes it does make you start to feel bad about the house itself when you have difficult vendors I think thats partly what is making us think to keep our optiins open!

    Hopefully you get your survey back on Monday. Have you spoken to the surveyor at all about the results? Our survey took 9 days to come back but I wasn't too fussed as I've not been worrying about it. Im less worried about the purchase than I was about the sale.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Yes it does make you start to feel bad about the house itself when you have difficult vendors I think thats partly what is making us think to keep our optiins open!

    Hopefully you get your survey back on Monday. Have you spoken to the surveyor at all about the results? Our survey took 9 days to come back but I wasn't too fussed as I've not been worrying about it. Im less worried about the purchase than I was about the sale.
    Originally posted by SG27
    Not spoken to him yet, I wanted to wait to see what it said first. We did ask that he address particular issues which I am interested to see what he says. I doubt there is anything much on there. But I'm just impatient. If they had said at the outset - it will take 2 weeks to get the survey that would have been fine but they didn't and so I didn't know. I feel like I'm trying hard to get things done quickly but getting thwarted all the time.
    • juliang
    • By juliang 7th Jul 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    juliang
    My purchase has moved a lot faster than my sale. Everything is now 'done' with the purchase (bar exchange), but we're waiting on the person buying mine.

    Buyer wants to move by 27th July as tenancy ends then... Really pushed my solicitors, and my vendor pushed too, to try and make sure we could accomodate that.

    Obviously, it's now my "super eager" buyer that we're waiting for...

    My timeline:
    Estate Agents Instructed: 1st May
    First meeting with broker: 1st May
    House on Rightmove: 4th May
    Acceptable offer on mine: 8th May - quicker than I expected so was not prepared.
    Viewed new houses: 12th May
    Second meeting with broker: 14th May
    AIP: 14th May
    Offer accepted on house: 16th May - Chain complete
    Full 'proper' mortgage application: 21st May
    Mortgage offer: 13th June
    Full Survery on Purchase: 18th June
    Searches Returned on Purchase: 19th June
    Buyers Survey: 21st June
    Replies to All Enquiries on Purchase: 4th July
    Ready to exchange on purchase: Now... but not because haven't exchanged on sale yet. Buyer's solcitor has raised more enquiries.
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 9th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Roo89
    I am so tired of waiting. We've been ready to exchange since April, but issues further up the chain meant our vendors vendor had to pull out of their original purchase, and we're now waiting for them to go through all the steps on their new purchase.

    Our offer was accepted 12th Feb, the chain finally completed on the 12th June for the top of the chain to pull out of that purchase, and then had an offer accepted again on 2nd July.

    I swear once we're in this house I will never move again. If it wasn't for the fact we've got a brilliant house which needs no major work and only a coat of paint, I'd have been looking at other properties.

    I really wanted to be in this week at the latest, so we could unpack and get settled before my birthday, then have a combined birthday house warming party on the 28th - but that's not gonna happen now.

    I'm guessing we've got 6 - 8 weeks of waiting still to go
    • devildolly5
    • By devildolly5 9th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    devildolly5
    Joining this thread as we have a buyer for our house and an offer accepted on a property, so onwards to exchange.

    Timelines so far
    15/5 Our house goes up for sale
    1/6 Accept offer on our house
    20/6 Offer accepted on a house, and our buyers have their mortgage offered
    21/6 All documents to our solicitor for both sale and purchase
    21/6 Buyers tell estate agent they want to complete by end of July!!! Dream on.
    22/6 Mortgage applied for new house
    26/6 Contacted solicitor to check they received the money on account - radio silence
    27/6 Mortgage offer received (super quick!)
    28/6 Waiting for something to happen.......

    I know our buyers are super keen to get in the house to be in the area for when school starts I suspect, but they cant surely expect this to all be wrapped up in 5 weeks! It has me a little worried that they may not have the most realistic expectations and will pull out. They are not FTB either, so know the process surely.

    First time buying and selling, eek!
    Originally posted by devildolly5
    So it turns out that despite them telling me they prefer to communicate via email, my solicitors are sending every minute update by post! Grrrr.....but contracts have been issued to my buyer. Just waiting for survey results and contracts from our vendors solicitor.
    • Chanlf91
    • By Chanlf91 9th Jul 18, 1:41 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Chanlf91
    Not getting our hopes up as we haven't exchanged yet, but completion still set for the 13th. Solicitors called this morning to say they've requested mortgage funds. Panic mode setting in so I'm trying to occupy myself by scrubbing this house clean. 1 less job to do when we move!
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 9th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    jennhg88
    Solicitors: "Not much to do now, will be back in touch when ready to exchange on sale and purchase"

    Estate agent: "Well things are moving, but bottom of the chain is waiting on local search and to raise enquiries, and your buyer's solicitor is still waiting on the management pack from your solicitor...."

    So the management pack we paid 192 for and immediately sent on to our buyer's solicitor (via email) on the 3rd July hasn't been received yet? Hmmmmmm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

866Posts Today

6,443Users online

Martin's Twitter