Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 9,225Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 167
    • GBR78
    • By GBR78 9th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    GBR78
    Moving forward a bit better now (updates in bold);

27/03 - offer accepted on current house
    28/03 - solicitor given the go ahead for sale (purchase not considered at this stage as plan was to move into rental for a few months)
    30/03 - Offer accepted on new build purchase
    01/04 - Mortgage application started
    10/04 - Solictor letter arrives with TA6 forms etc (unfortunately I was out of the country so couldn't fully complete until 12/04)
    13/04 - Solictor forms/TA6/property information all submitted to solicitor
    13/04 - Buyers survey completed. Nice chap, see's no reason to worry about not moving out - lets hope he's right!
    17/04 - Buyers receive valuation survey OK
    18/04 - Buyers get mortgage offer
    20/04 - Our solicitor confirms that he has received enquiries

bit of a pause now as our solicitor sits on the enquiries thinking we need to exchange of our purchase at the same time, but we don't. Cue quick kick up the 'arris!

27/04 - MA confirms Nationwide AIP for us and submits full app saying "just a paperwork exercise now"
    02/05 - Solicitor finally acknowleges mistake and starts to respond to buyer enquiries
    03/05 - SOlicitor passes us remaining enquiries to respond to. Immediately returned by email
    03/05 - Valuation carried out on onward purchase
    04/05 - Contract and title deed document received, signed and returned by hand, buyer negotiates additional items

Hoping now for an exchange early next week ready for completion at the end of the week....
    Originally posted by GBR78
    So, Bank Holiday weekend passes without a hitch and I start to chase for an exchange date. Turns out our buyers solicitor has only just posted out their contract for signing and is now preparing his final report. Needless to say, we haven't exchanged as yet. A contract was emailed instead, which has hopefully been signed and returned by First Class post for receipt tomorrow....so tomorrow looks like our earliest chance. Buyers current rental expires on Tuesday so it's all cutting a bit fine!

If we can exchange tomorrow then we will go ahead and move our things out to storage on Friday. No exchange and I'll have to put the guys off again!
    • warnerr88
    • By warnerr88 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    warnerr88
    Was hoping to be closer to exchange this week but looks like it will drag into next week now. Chased up last week and my solicitor told me they was waiting on the sellers solicitor as they don't have the certificate for the boiler installation so needed an indemnity policy. Rang up today and was hoping for some news but still waiting on it. How long does it take to get one of those?

Landlord is letting us end our tenancy earlier so we can move out on June 10th so we are hoping we could complete at the end of the month so can slowly move in and then make sure we give our rented house a good clean over..bit frustrating at the minute!
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 9th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Roo89
    So frustrated, still no updated on whether or not our chain is complete. The woman at the top of our chain still hasn't found a 'suitable' property. Her husband (ex-husband?) has already vacated the house they're selling but until she vacates or has an offer accepted we're stuck in limbo.

It's really starting to drive my insane, we thought we'd have exchange and completions date by now - we'd mildly hoped to have been in for the bank holiday. Instead we're sat twiddling our thumbs.

I'm not sure who to chase about it though, I've emailed our seller's estate agent, but they're not having much luck getting a response from the top of the chain's EA

I've had to renew the parking permit for where we're currently living which cost me £85, and is non refundable and non transferable. Must admit although in the grand scheme it's not a lot of money, it's still something we'd hoped to avoid paying for, but with no exchange date in sight we had no choice.

I just want to move
    • MS47
    • By MS47 9th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MS47
    We are FTB and offered on a house in Feb and were hoping to exchange and complete next month. We are currenlty in a lease until the end of July but the vendors had offered on a property and the chain ended above them so we were being flexible and taking the hit of rent and mortgage for a month so that they could move earlier. They have now advised us that their purchase has fallen through but they are going to move into rented if they can't find somewhere but they wont move until the end of July. We are happy for them to delay but we can't do the last week of July for various reasons and beyond this we wont have a lease anymore. We have asked for the week before but they have said it has to be the end of July. I feel bad that their purchsse has fallen through and they may have to move to rented but am I being unreasonable pushing for a date a week before their preferred date?
    • GBR78
    • By GBR78 10th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    GBR78
    Was hoping to be closer to exchange this week but looks like it will drag into next week now. Chased up last week and my solicitor told me they was waiting on the sellers solicitor as they don't have the certificate for the boiler installation so needed an indemnity policy. Rang up today and was hoping for some news but still waiting on it. How long does it take to get one of those?
    Originally posted by warnerr88
    We've just had to go through this as it turns out our boiler was never registered when it was installed by British Gas 4.5 years ago. They came back out to us at the weekend, the form was submitted Tuesday and we had an email later the same day to say that it had been registered. Still waiting on the building regs certificate but it at least shows on the Gas Safe register now. I thought an indemnity policy was an instant thing once it had been booked...

PS; you're not our buyers are you??

In other news for ours, really hoping for an exchange today, with completion Monday/Tuesday.......tick tock.....
    • Coldfy
    • By Coldfy 10th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Coldfy
    Hi all!

We’re finally waiting to exchange! FTB, offer accepted on amazing property 8/3. Going through all the paperwork now and shocked at the lack of accuracy from sellers documentation!

We *think* we’re in a short chain (our vendor is buying from end of chain), but its really difficult to get confirmation of that or dates from EA or solicitor. No dates have been proposed yet.

Does anyone know how to stop the EA chasing us every 2 days? We’ve done everything as fast as we can but he keeps phoning and emailing asking for things that are out of our control!
    Originally posted by Coldfy

I can’t believe I thought we were waiting to exchange on the first of April!! How naive we were!

We are currently on holiday, awaiting a call from the solicitor to confirm that we’re exchanging today (email sent to other solicitor last night). I can’t believe how much of a palaver buying a house is.

We had huge issues with getting a mortgage due to a series of clerical errors, taking 8 weeks in the end. Plus the searches took an age, contained loads of errors and weren’t even direct from the council. On top of that our structural survey isn’t really worth the paper its written on, the estate agent is a duplicitous so and so, and no-one barring our solicitor knows how to use the ‘cc’ function on emails.

There’s definitely room for reform in this sector, its cringeworthy how inefficient it all is.

Mini rant over now, fingers crossed we exchange today, and things move back into our control!
    • warnerr88
    • By warnerr88 10th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    warnerr88
    We've just had to go through this as it turns out our boiler was never registered when it was installed by British Gas 4.5 years ago. They came back out to us at the weekend, the form was submitted Tuesday and we had an email later the same day to say that it had been registered. Still waiting on the building regs certificate but it at least shows on the Gas Safe register now. I thought an indemnity policy was an instant thing once it had been booked...

PS; you're not our buyers are you??

In other news for ours, really hoping for an exchange today, with completion Monday/Tuesday.......tick tock.....
    When we were told about it last week did hope when I chased up yesterday that it would have progressed so was disappointing for it not to have. Just hate the waiting as not a lot we can do, and don't really want be ringing up every single day
    • GoingOn30
    • By GoingOn30 10th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    GoingOn30
    MS47 you're not being unreasonable but at the same time neither party can force the other to agree to their preferred completion date.
    Have you looked into whether you could extend your lease for a week or 2? Many landlords would agree to this with this much notice.
    If not you might need to make it worth your sellers while to agree to your preferred date.
    • GBR78
    • By GBR78 10th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    GBR78
    How quickly things change. Despite being told two days ago that the buyers solicitor will email a contract for them to sign and return by post ready for exchange today, i'm now told that the solicitor won't do that and the buyer has to wait for their posted copy to arrive. By the time they have that, sign it and return it, it will be Monday before any exchange can happen. With the buyer needing completion on Tuesday (due to their current rental period being up then), that now leaves us (I say 'us' but with the wife at work it will be 'me') needing to make sure everything is out and the place is cleaned on completion day - not our ideal situation given the lack of available people on the day. That's if the removal company are available.....
    • CHlHlRO
    • By CHlHlRO 10th May 18, 11:56 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    CHlHlRO
    We!!!8217;re just waiting for the top of the chain to confirm they!!!8217;re okay with the completion date. Anything I can do from here, right at the bottom of it?
    • loobiej1
    • By loobiej1 10th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    loobiej1
    Hello
    my solicitor tells me file in dictation with sellers solicitors? im not sure what this means either. does anyone else know?
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    dunroving
    We!!!8217;re just waiting for the top of the chain to confirm they!!!8217;re okay with the completion date. Anything I can do from here, right at the bottom of it?
    Originally posted by CHlHlRO
    You could try prayer.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • FloProActiv
    • By FloProActiv 10th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    FloProActiv
    At what point can I relax?
    I know the answer is really not until I've got the keys but solicitors have our deposit and contracts, mortgage funds have been requested from the lender, and a completion date of next Friday (18th) agreed with the seller. Plan is to exchange as soon as the mortgage lender confirms funds. We're FTBs, and seller is selling a former rental property, so no chain.

At the moment, it feels like tempting fate to organise anything (e.g. time off, packing, etc). Boyfriend doesn't feel same - he's already booked completion day off, and I came home last night to find that he had taken all the posters off the walls of our flat...
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    dunroving
    At what point can I relax?
    I know the answer is really not until I've got the keys <<snip>>...
    Originally posted by FloProActiv
    I think after exchange is the answer, although in an infinitesimal number of cases, things can fall through even after that.

I certainly would avoid doing anything rash until after exchange.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Hansaro
    • By Hansaro 10th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Hansaro
    Can I join?
    I am so stressed...I have appointed solicitors via a company that acts like a broker. Paid 90 quid and they passed my details to a firm in Wales. All good, mixed reviews, cheapest price.

This was in February. Buying SO - new built, with mortgage. Timeline contains, me sending the welcome pack via e-mail because the welcome pack was delayed by post for some reason.
    After that, receiving MOS and forwarding that to solictior
    Receiving mortgage offer which has also been sent to solictors but they kept on saying that they didn't receive it. Kept receiving status updates for my case but the status of the mortgage offer was still "waiting for". Tried to contact the appointed solicitor and couldn't but a colleague confirmed over the phone they have received the offer.
    I have shared the contact details of my solicitor with the vendor and also provided the vendors solicitor details etc, thinking that the communication channel is complete.
    But the solictor appointed to my case was hard to get hold off, from my experience. Even the mortgage broker has tried contacting her but no answer...

The housing association and the council pushed back and back because they could not finalize the head lease therefore there was no finished contract.
    Same status updates kept coming from my solicitor but the status wasn't accurate, still showing as of waiting for the mortgage offer.

Then the updates stopped from my solicitor side.

The developer has been very good to send fortnightly updates, and although delayed, I could get a sense that they are trying their best. They had a meeting with the council and were back on track and so to speed the things up (this is at the end of April) their solicitors have shared files via an online portal to all buyers solicitors so that they can prepare documents before the exchange.

I tried contacting the person dealing with my case to check if she has received the news and documents... but no answer... not even at Reception.. something was not right.
    Alarm bells all over...I am hitting myself for not going with the London firm...
    So, i am sending an email CC-ing the complaints email as well as the company that has found me this company and I get a reply today... the thing is: I don't know what to take from it. It reads:

''Apologies you haven't been able to get through to (the solicitor), unfortunately she is unwell and in hospital at the moment.

Regards the purchase of ........ we were advised this matter was no longer proceeding as we hadn't heard from the Sellers Solicitor nor received your welcome pack. Please can you confirm this isn't the case and we will arrange for a new file to be opened up without further delay...''

Now, this clearly looks like a case of me being passed on to a different team without much care or handover. Is this my get out jail card or should I explain everything to this new team and start from scratch hoping for better?. If I chose to not work with these solicitors any longer will I be charged for anything?

I have searched my mailbox again to see if I missed something and spotted an email from this second team (the assistant of the person that sent me this email above) somewhere at the end of April saying that they have been told by the sellers solicitors that they will get back to them in due course with regards to sending the contract. And then she was wondering why they did not send them yet asking me if I was in contact with the sellers. I was thinking they are being informed or at least that they are chasing the other solicitors if they had questions.
    Today I called the solicitors from London asking them for advice if I could switch to them and it was clear that they were more clued up, they knew the situation, the status of the negotiation for the head lease and paperwork but they have told me to find out what exactly the solicitor meant when she said it is ''no longer proceeding''

I am worrying if I should reply to that e-mail. It is so frustrating to explain myself and to counter that.
    What should I do?
    • CHlHlRO
    • By CHlHlRO 10th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    CHlHlRO
    You could try prayer.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Well that confirms my hunch that the answer to my question is “sweet fa”
    • FloProActiv
    • By FloProActiv 11th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    FloProActiv
    So after several weeks of no progress, the whole thing has suddenly gone into turbo mode of the last week, and we're exchanging this afternoon
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    dunroving
    Background: Cash buyer, no chain, but property to sell. Selling in Scotland, buying in England. House I am purchasing is from estate of deceased couple who purchased it leasehold in 1963 and bought freehold in 1997. My buyer is a professional with no chain and an AIP mortgage approval [information all learned during the sale/purchase process] Throughout the process, I have been in regular contact with the seller's estate agent, who has been helpful in chasing things up, especially regarding intransigence of the seller's solicitor (see notes!).

02-03-2018 BUY: Viewed house (England) and made offer of £10k over asking same day
    03-03-2018 BUY: Offer accepted by seller (I later found that 4 offers had been received, and mine was second highest)
    05-03-2018 BUY: Engaged solicitor for house purchase
    06-03-2018 BUY: Client care pack received from solicitors and returned same day (evidence of ID, funding sources for purchase, etc.)
    10-03-2018 BUY: Full survey conducted
    13-03-2018 SELL: Own house put on market (Scotland), having had Home Report survey completed
    20-03-2018 BUY: Contract papers received by my solicitor from seller's solicitor
    20-03-2018 BUY: Gas safety inspection conducted
    23-03-2018 BUY: Contract pack received from my solicitor; later noticed freehold title contained a note of a pre-existing leasehold title belonging to seller
    26-03-2018 BUY: Electrical survey conducted
    27-03-2018 BUY: Contacted my solicitor that the registered freehold title included a note of a leasehold title, but no leasehold title included in contract pack. Other than this, no major issues with contract pack. Mailed signed forms same day.
    06-04-2018 BUY: Replies to queries received from seller's solicitor. No response received regarding query about the mentioned lease. This was reverted back to the seller's solicitor.
    13-04-2018 BUY: Contacted by seller's estate agent, who had been emailed by seller's solicitor that he did not see the need to cancel the lease, "as it was referred to on many occasions within the freehold"; [this was followed by multiple sporadic communications between solicitors, with seller's solicitor being very reluctant to cancel the lease. Finally, we responded to say that if he did not want to cancel the lease, then he should register it, and sell it with the freehold, but that ignoring it was not an option]
    17-04-2018 BUY: Contacted by seller's estate agent to say she had heard from seller that he had contacted solicitor to say he/we need the lease cancelled.
    20-04-2018 BUY: Asked my solicitor to confirm that seller's solicitor was treating cancellation of lease as a matter of priority.
    25-04-2018 BUY: Contacted by seller's estate agent to say she had heard from seller!!!8217;s solicitor that cancelling the lease "may cause more trouble than it solves ... the conveyance refers to various rights, exceptions and reservations and covenants contained in the Lease and if the Lease is cancelled then the Freehold title and conveyance become meaningless. As we understand it this is the way that the Council have dealt with sales of these properties over the years and we do not wish to end up sabotaging our title to find that the buyers solicitors have changed their minds."
    24-04-2018 SELL: Received offer from a buyer who came for a second viewing two days earlier. Handed over to estate agent (Yopa) to conduct negotiations.
    26-04-2018 SELL: Final sale price agreed with buyer, memorandum of sale completed and house marked as Sold STC. Solicitor engaged to deal with conveyancing (same person who acted for me as buyer when I bought the house).
    26-04-2018 BUY: Spoke with my solicitor, who said she had arranged to speak with seller's solicitor on the Monday (30-04-2018) to request that if he was unwilling to cancel the lease, please register it and include it in the sale with the freehold.
    27-04-2018 BUY: Contacted by my solicitor to say seller's solicitor had been in touch to say he had begun the application to cancel the lease. Aaargh! Only a month since we queried this and requested cancellation! Have been in touch with my solicitor and seller's estate agent to please confirm seller's solicitor is treating as a matter of URGENCY, and has requested expedited processing by Land Registry.

So at this point, my supposedly simple purchase is being held up while the seller's solicitor is applying to Land Registry to cancel the lease so that the freehold title is clean. Just an example of how a transaction that in theory couldn't have been simpler can be held up by an arrogant, lazy solicitor. I'm tempted to say "unethical" also, because I am pretty sure he deliberately tried to fudge the situation in the hope that I wouldn't notice/wouldn't care that the house has an existing (albeit unregistered) leasehold noted on the freehold title. Luckily, I, the vendor, and the seller's estate agent are reasonable people who seem motivated to ensure this transaction completes. Because of course in England, until contracts are exchanged, anything can happen. I feel quite lucky in comparison to some people, that my delay will end up being only 6-8 weeks and that I will "only" have to postpone a planned holiday.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    27-04-2018 BUY: After hearing nothing from seller's solicitor (apparently he isn't replying to anyone, including the seller!) I chased up with Land Registry and found the title cancellation was processed two days earlier. Informed my solicitor and she is trying to exchange today, with a closing date of 21-05-2018. Sale of my own house ticking along, but issue with building consents has arisen (see separate thread about Letter of Comfort).
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • warnerr88
    • By warnerr88 11th May 18, 6:50 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    warnerr88
    Is it just me or does anybody else have difficulty getting through to solicitor on Thursday/Friday...been chasing an update past couple of days but just not managed to get a response (normally get in contact straight away) so frustrating
    • FloProActiv
    • By FloProActiv 11th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    FloProActiv
    And we've exchanged.

Blinking hell, it doesn't half speed up when you get to the end Completion next Friday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

5,736Users online

Martin's Twitter