Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 9,225Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 162
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 17th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    There is a huge thread on here where someoneís vendor changed their mind after exchange so it can happen! Itís a great read.
    Originally posted by ashe
    Ah no, really?! Is nothing safe in this house buying process??

I bet it is a great read though, but might turn me grey before my solicitor does!!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 17th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    There is a huge thread on here where someoneís vendor changed their mind after exchange so it can happen! Itís a great read.
    Originally posted by ashe
    However, to put the minds at rest of everyone panicking after reading that, it is terrifically rare. Not completely unheard of, but nothing that anyone should be realistically losing sleep over.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 17th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    TamsinC
    here it is - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1806123&highlight=welshwoof#topof page
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 17th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    OMG!! I!!!8217;m sure it!!!8217;s rare but wow that is scary...
    • Beetlejuice01
    • By Beetlejuice01 17th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Beetlejuice01
    I exchanged today! Can't believe how quick it's been, due to complete next Friday then I will feel safe to celebrate!
    • Asl77c
    • By Asl77c 17th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Asl77c
    Finally completed yesterday. Was a long old day but now in the new house. It feels strange but also good. In time will become home though! Dont have any complaints about my experience thankfully, it was all pretty smooth and just happy for it to be done. Good luck to everyone else
    • HanSh
    • By HanSh 18th Apr 18, 12:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HanSh
    Helppppp!!! Anyone advice is needed.

So Iím selling my property no upward chain to a first time buyer.
    House was valued by estate agents and sale was agreed upon within a week of it going on the market with lots of interest.
    So house was sold Stc on 5/2/18.
    Solicitors engaged by both parties...
    forms filled paperwork signed. By the middle of Feb..
    then the waiting game...
    survey done by the buyers solicitors on 13/3/18
    Then nothing...... no contact from estate agent my solicitor wasnít getting much back from the buyers apart from that they were awaiting a mortgage offer. Then today BAM! Big slap in the face
    The buyers lender has valued the property at way less than the agreed sale price itís about 20% less!!! So now itís on the verge of falling through but it all feels a little strange!
    My estate agent has said the delay was because the buyer changed lenders TWICE, the valuation I received was from the estate agent via the buyer herself not through the solicitors and it is dated the 10/4/18 so what happened to the original survey on the 13/3/18? I was also not told any of this until today a whole month after the original survey! Which I donít know the outcome of! Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 18th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    So annoyed - shower has broken in the en suite

The flat is sold but not exchanged yet so I feel I'm obligated to replace it. Really didn't want to be spending more money on the flat since we are also buying our house

A few people have said don't bother but as my flat is shared ownership, I've met my buyer a few times and she's a nice girl, FTB, starting out on her own and I just couldn't do that to her! Aqualisa wanted £200 for the part and engineer to fit it But I've managed to find a handyman who can fit it for £40 and I've bought the part from Aqualisa for £80

Bit of an annoying expense at this stage!! Definitely feel obligated to fix it though - would be horrible for my buyer to move in and not have a working shower. Plus she is really nice and we are in regular contact. One thing about selling a shared ownership property is that you have to do everything yourself - from taking the photos to writing the description of the property and doing all of the viewings, so the good thing is you get to know your buyer. The bad thing is that the HA are charging me just over £1000 on completion just for doing their little admin bit!! Oh well, what can you do?!
    • T90FER
    • By T90FER 18th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    T90FER
    Finally - some good news
    We have exchanged!! Completion this Friday.

Start to finish
    House Marketed 28/1
    STC 29/1
    Offer accepted on new purchase 13/2
    Completion 20/4
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 18th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    Congratulations! Enjoy it
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 18th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Hi all!

Well, I've been offline for two months - and blooming BT still haven't got us connected (no landline yet either!) - the joys of rural living, lol

Everyone on this thread is new and I wish you all well with your moving stories......also to those who moved around the same time as us (mid Feb), I hope you're all settling in

We moved into our non-listed 400 year old rural Welsh repossession with majority of our stuff in three huge storage units up in the West Midlands where most of it still remains! We've done a few small van loads - bed, sofa, tv, garden furniture and lots of boxes - and a huge lorry load containing all our potted plants, garden tools, garden statuary etc. We're down to two storage units, due to reduce to one in a couple of weeks and we collect another mega load on Friday.

Already we've made some progress - had a borehole drilled (gosh, what a mess!) as the cottage had no water supply, wood burners/multi fuel stoves fitted (wonderful!), kitchen partially ripped out, started decorating and planting the main garden. Have also landscaped the courtyard that is surrounded by 400 year old walls. We await structural calculations for internal wall removal as we are reconfiguring the rooms

We need to tackle the land, but weather has frequently been wet. This hasn't dampened our enthusiasm and we are absolutely loving living in S W Wales, not least because I get to walk the dogs on several miles of sandy beach once a week......yay!

GL with your moves and a speedy exchange to all x
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 18-04-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • notanotherknot
    • By notanotherknot 19th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    notanotherknot
    What a PITA notanotherknot!!!
    We've only just started and I'm already stating I'm never moving again! I dread to think of the stresses to come!!!
    Originally posted by lena_halo

Indeed, Im hoping to never move again or if we do theres no blooming chain involved!!
    • notanotherknot
    • By notanotherknot 19th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    notanotherknot
    Things are moving! We had confirmation on Tuesday that the Deed of Surrender had been accepted by Land Registry so I asked about pushing for exchange asap. The solicitors said probably next Friday and everyone in the chain said no push for this week if it can be done.

We sent the fees and deposit over yesterday morning, Natwest have been asked to release the mortgage funds and providing they are available for tomorrow we will be exchanging contracts tomorrow! If all goes to plan then we will exchange and complete the same day, probably have confirmation of that today.
    • kk235b
    • By kk235b 19th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kk235b
    eeeek, many congrats Beetlejuice and Asl77c! I hope ye are happy in your new homes and enjoying the nesting process :-)

I haven't had an update either from EA or solicitor in a week. Vendor said last week (via EA) "we are on track for the end of the month". The end of the month is a week and a half away and still just agonising radio silence! Also worrying is that my solicitor has been phoning and emailing the vendor's solicitors for a solid month and has gotten nothing.

Anyone else waiting to exchange just spending their downtime obsessively looking at pics of their almost-house, looking it up on Google Street view, etc...? :-(
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 19th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo

Anyone else waiting to exchange just spending their downtime obsessively looking at pics of their almost-house, looking it up on Google Street view, etc...? :-(
    Originally posted by kk235b
    Yes me! Our house was on with two agents so I screenshotted all of the photos they had up on RM and have them all stored on my phone along with other screenshots of furniture we may purchase once we're in
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 19th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    Things are moving! We had confirmation on Tuesday that the Deed of Surrender had been accepted by Land Registry so I asked about pushing for exchange asap. The solicitors said probably next Friday and everyone in the chain said no push for this week if it can be done.

We sent the fees and deposit over yesterday morning, Natwest have been asked to release the mortgage funds and providing they are available for tomorrow we will be exchanging contracts tomorrow! If all goes to plan then we will exchange and complete the same day, probably have confirmation of that today.
    Originally posted by notanotherknot
    ooh fingers crossed for you!!
    • kk235b
    • By kk235b 19th Apr 18, 2:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kk235b
    Yes me! Our house was on with two agents so I screenshotted all of the photos they had up on RM and have them all stored on my phone along with other screenshots of furniture we may purchase once we're in
    Hah same! Even printed off the floor plan and blocked off where the various bits of furniture will go! Just a time waster as I know you probably have to be in the house to get a feel for it and how things will fit/look, but it's so much fun.
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 19th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    Hah same! Even printed off the floor plan and blocked off where the various bits of furniture will go! Just a time waster as I know you probably have to be in the house to get a feel for it and how things will fit/look, but it's so much fun.
    Originally posted by kk235b
    So glad it's not just me
    Just so worried about jinxing it but I can't help it haha! I also check on RM now and again in the SSTC area just to see it there too. Obsessed!
    • Coldfy
    • By Coldfy 19th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Coldfy
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 19th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    lena_halo
    These little things keep us going
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

6,888Users online

Martin's Twitter