Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,514Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 141
    • milliemil
    • By milliemil 14th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    milliemil
    Hey all,

Update over here and a bit of a rant!
    After accepting an offer on our house November the 6th, reserving our new build property and all ready to exchange by the 8th of December to find out or buyers hadn't even applied for a mortgage!
    A valuation, structural survey, drain survey, and a 6% decrease in price of our house later...
    I have been told we are finally exchanging today!!!

Then we get a phone call from the buyers solicitor asking for a cavity wall insulation guarantee, of which I have no idea where on earth I would get it from!

However the sols have said not to worry and we can still exchange without one - but why wait until the last second to ask for one!!!

Fingers crossed it all goes ahead with a move in date for next Friday - best start packing!
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 14th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Nicola83
    We exchanged on our new build today!!!!
    We can move in next Friday!!
    It has been such a smooth process, our solicitors have been incredible, they've not dropped the ball once, we will definitely use the same firm if we ever move again.
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 14th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Still no progress here, but my lovely solicitor did manage to speak to the solicitor above my sellers solicitor and found out that all their sellers searches are back on their purchase, and that responses to enquiries are coming in bit by bit this week. Unfortunately though not all responses are back, so they cant report to their client, and cant give any indication of when they will be ready to. And so we wait. Still got absolute silence from my sellers estate agent, shes avoiding me completely.
    Last edited by JaneyLouWho; 14-02-2018 at 5:41 PM.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 14th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Still not heard from our Sol....and we'll get the weekly "Where are you up to?" email from our mortgage broker tomorrow, and as usual will have nothing to tell him (I say as usual, the process has only been a month or so, but seems forever )

Btw, is that usual, for the broker to email for updates every week?
    House Deposit:12,569.68/14,000 = 89.78% Money Made'17 August: 41.04July:
    June: 5.35 May:30.30April: 51.09March:28.25Feb: 120.47 Jan:14.35
    Total Made '16:284.60
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 14th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    RXT156
    Completion next week woohooooo! Never thought this day would come
    Thurs 22nd I get the keys!!!!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 14th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    We exchanged today!! Took us 6 months. Completing on 12th March.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 14th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Oooh RXT and Tiglath what brilliant news! Hope to be joining you soon!
    • liquoricet
    • By liquoricet 14th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    liquoricet
    Great news Tiglath and RXT! Hope you're celebrating tonight. !!!55357;!!!56833;
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 14th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Tiglath and RHT Brilliant! I am getting excited when someone exchanges here

A bit of update from me. EA told me that the vendor sent all the docs to his solicitor. Half an hour later he sent me an email with the replay from sellers solicitors. It turned out they got our question last Friday. So so slow. I believe our solicitor because I saw the doc with Initial enquiries on 8th of January. Friday was 9th of February and that's what I called slooowwww.
    Anyway we are thinking to ask about another viewing as we had just one and we can't remember much.
    I am just wondering if to ask for a viewing now or when all enquiries come back so we will know more about the extension and work done in the property. What do you guys think?
    • Goath
    • By Goath 14th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Goath
    Ask for another viewing as many times as you want - it's your money!
    • This calls for cake
    • By This calls for cake 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    This calls for cake
    Well we got the damp survey done for our buyers, the damp course is fine, some remedial work was recommended for penetrating damp caused by a leaky gutter, rather than get into to much toing and froing or having to get work done before we can complete we have agreed to reduce the purchase price by the amount quoted for the work. We have our home buyers survey scheduled for next week, as far as I know everything is just toddling along, going to try and call the solicitor tomorrow but the kids are on half term this week so I seem to be spending all my time breaking up fights and trying to keep them amused/apart!
    Brilliant to hear people are making progress and managing to exchange, good vibes for everyone else!
    • milliemil
    • By milliemil 15th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    milliemil
    WE EXCHANGED yesterday!!!!

Could literally cry with relief! We move in next Friday!

Well done to all who have exchanged recently and wishing everyone else all the luck in the world - I will be following your stories still! xx
    • ashe
    • By ashe 15th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Update...New info in bold

23/06 house listed on Rightmove with EA1
    20/7 discussed fees with EA1 after reading details on here, revamped rightmove ad completely as their photos were terrible and rewrote the description. EA1 not willing to negotiate on fees, they had overvalued the property for the market and despite us reducing it significantly, still wanted their fixed fee, as is their right I suppose. For the record, their fixed fee was equivalent to 4% of the property value now it had been reduced and we were locked in to a 6 month contract.
    15/08 got tired of poor quality viewers EA1 was sending over that had no interest to buy (EA on the day was even saying 'yeah they view all our houses, have done for past 2 years but never offer'!), tried one more time to negotiate a fee and said if not willing to negotiate would price back to their original valuation which wont sell and wait out the contract. No movement on their side, so price increased.
    01/12 requested quotes from other EA's, played off the ones we liked best and had the best local presence and negotiated 12 week contract with EA2 for 1.2% fee, due to go live mid Jan
    23/1 Ad goes live on Rightmove with new EA2
    30/1 first house viewing with new EA2, asking price offer next day
    31/1 Solicitors instructed for sale
    1/2-9/2 Many, Many house viewings, viewed every house that met our criteria in area we were looking to move to
    9/2 first 2 offers rejected, 3rd offer accepted on property with l loads of space that meets all our needs
    12/2 meeting our mortgage broker to go through the full application. Previously had an AIP but it had expired but should not be an issue
    12/2 solicitors instructed, DIP Accept decision received, only asked for payslips
    13/2 Booked Homebuyers survey for thursday. Company has scope for fast turnaround and will get report same day
    13/2 Checked my Credit file on Noddle out of interest to find that my 'excellent' credit rating (Never missed any payments, never had any issues getting credit - any credit card I apply for gives me ridiculous limits like 15k) is tarnished by a 67 default on EE!! Had a heart attack. Took out a phone for an ex partner in 2013, she turned it into her name but then defaulted but looks like EE records have it in my name still, at her address. This was all sorted in 2016 with EE assuring me that it wouldnt impact me - was only when I used Noddle rather than Experian that it came to light. Frantic emails and calls to EE. Panic!
    14/2 Full mortgage application completed with broker via nationwide, decision Accept, will only relax when we get the offer in full! Broker said if accepted at this stage hes never had it come back with an issue and normally they accept small telecoms defaults anyway.
    14/2 Call from EE Credit team, said nothing on my file with experian other than linked address - said yes my info concurs but on callcredit it shows a default, she said let me check and went away for a few minutes, came back and said yes our mistake that, sincere apologies - correction sent to all CRA's to confirm not my default and remove linked address as I have never lived there. said would take 24 hours to remove default, up to 14 days to remove linked address. Relief!
    15/2 Homebuyers survey takes place today, report available at some point later in the day. EA called to say Nationwide have been in touch and are going to contact the seller to conduct the valuation (we booked the Homebuyers independently). Hopefully valuation will be quick and we can find out if we can get a concrete offer shortly so we can relax.
    If it declines, hopefully we have grounds for appeal if its to do with CRA info.
    • BlueTwiglet
    • By BlueTwiglet 15th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    BlueTwiglet
    Congratulations to all that have exchanged! So pleased for you!

A little bit of a hectic week here but long story short, my solicitor has finally emailed me to advise that all remaining enquiries were sent to the buyers solicitors today and they have asked for proposed dates. Trying not to get too excited because I was also told this a week ago today but fingers crossed.

I am also buying a property and now just waiting for my mortgage lender to sign off on the Occupier Consent Form for my partner. Hopefully that will be done in the next couple of days because ideally I would like to tie the two together as all enquiries for the purchase have been answered.

As long as everything continues smoothly, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel! Must keep a level head, must keep a level head.....
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 15th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    lovehols
    Due to seller not being able to answer all of septic tank queries we had to pay for a septic tank survey which was done on Sunday. Awaiting report but it's not good, hoping seller will negotiate price given that basically it all needs replacing!

All the other outstanding queries, eg access etc all been sorted and solicitor says will send letter shortly, so it's just the sh*t issue now - literally.

Seems ages since we had our offer accepted in December! Seems a lot of people have exchanged recently - Congratulations!
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 15th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    lovehols
    Hi gang, I!!!8217;m jumping in with what feels like the worst luck in the world...

July House 1
    Went for a look round- family friend was renovating, loved it.
    August
    House was valued by EA at 220,000. As we were family the offered it us at 210,000. Applied for mortgage and paid 500 application and valuation fees.
    September
    After lots of tooing and froing with paperwork and bank statements for mortgage got AIP. Solicitor instructed and 300 paid. House valued by surveyor at 190,000 and family friend not prepared to negotiate. Pulled out and lost 500
    October House 2
    Found a brilliant house at 200,000 went to see it and put in an offer straight away. Ended up in a bidding war which we won at 212,500. However EA warned us to look at the placement of proposed HS2- turned out to be less than 5 mins walk from the back garden for a 5km viaduct and the East Midlands Hub station. Sadly pulled out.
    October House 3
    Found another great house advertised at 200,000. However land registry said the rest of the street was around 160,000. We put in an offer and was rejected multiple times even though we!!!8217;re first time buyers and they had no other offers. Decided on 195,000 but they would not take it off the market.
    We acted quickly and paid mortgage fees, collected paper work again and instructed solicitor and survey. The day survey was to be booked the couple decided to split up!! And take the house off the market. Lost 135 mortgage fees, managed to get survey fee reimbursed.
    November House 4
    Really despondent so decided to just find any half decent house that at least had an easy transaction. Found one for 180,000 put offer in and was accepted straight away. Paid mortgage and survey fees again, another 500.
    December
    Valuation came back at the right price so begin signing docs with solictor who sent off searches.
    January
    Phone call on the 4th Jan, the house our vendor wanted to buy has gone to probate.
    16th Jan searches revealed subsidence, missing building regs and indemnity.
    February
    Constant chasing to find out what!!!8217;s going on with probate and enquiries on searches.
    Last weekend went to view some more properties thinking of returning to the market.
    Today
    Found out completion date proposed for 23rd March. This was only after I had been chasing...
    The saga continues!
    Originally posted by T4taylor
    Oh my word! Thought we were unlucky with two failed purchases and finally finding our dream.gouse on viewing 48! Hope everything goes ok for you.
    • G.McC
    • By G.McC 15th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    G.McC
    Thanks everyone. We've saved 15k over the last year (which is much easier to do when you're living at home - the only downside to saving every last penny is that I've forgotten what it feels like to spend money so might get a shock when I have to pay all these bills) but the rest of the deposit is coming from an inheritance so we can't take all the credit!

As FTB they're doing the valuation for free but offered to upgrade to a home buyers survey for 225. I've heard mixed reviews about their surveys so I did some phoning around and while the majority of the quotes were 375-400, I spoke to a highly recommend independent surveyor, explained that we'd only want the survey for peace of mind and he has quoted us 295.

There's a bit of a mixed opinion around getting a survey - I'd probably just pay the 295 to say that it's done and to have the piece of paper but partner and parents don't think it's needed and I'm better to save where I can.

The house is old but it's been well kept by the curent owner. It's the same age as my family home (1920s) and we anticipate similar problems - when my parents moved in 30 years ago they replaced floors, ceilings, windows, electrics, added a loft conversion and pretty much everything else you could think of. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be as much work needed on the house we're buying. There's no red flags visually and we've been round at all times of the day in all types of weather. Our seller has told us about any and all problems that they're aware of, right down to a cracked tile.

My parents argument is that a surveyor won't be able to see anything that my dad (who is a plumber/electrician/joiner/annoyingly good at almost everything DIY related) can't see. We won't be able to check under carpets until we're in and we wouldn't be using a survey to negotiate price as the seller has already offered us the house at 25k less than the estate agents valuation. I honestly don't think that there's anything that would defer us from buying - it's a great house in an even better location and we'd never normally be able to afford it.

Other than having some legal protection, would a home buyers survey be much use? Realise the post is probably better suited to another forum but curious to see what you guys think since we're all sort of waiting together!
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 15th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    lovehols
    Thanks everyone. We've saved 15k over the last year (which is much easier to do when you're living at home - the only downside to saving every last penny is that I've forgotten what it feels like to spend money so might get a shock when I have to pay all these bills) but the rest of the deposit is coming from an inheritance so we can't take all the credit!

As FTB they're doing the valuation for free but offered to upgrade to a home buyers survey for 225. I've heard mixed reviews about their surveys so I did some phoning around and while the majority of the quotes were 375-400, I spoke to a highly recommend independent surveyor, explained that we'd only want the survey for peace of mind and he has quoted us 295.

There's a bit of a mixed opinion around getting a survey - I'd probably just pay the 295 to say that it's done and to have the piece of paper but partner and parents don't think it's needed and I'm better to save where I can.

The house is old but it's been well kept by the curent owner. It's the same age as my family home (1920s) and we anticipate similar problems - when my parents moved in 30 years ago they replaced floors, ceilings, windows, electrics, added a loft conversion and pretty much everything else you could think of. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be as much work needed on the house we're buying. There's no red flags visually and we've been round at all times of the day in all types of weather. Our seller has told us about any and all problems that they're aware of, right down to a cracked tile.

My parents argument is that a surveyor won't be able to see anything that my dad (who is a plumber/electrician/joiner/annoyingly good at almost everything DIY related) can't see. We won't be able to check under carpets until we're in and we wouldn't be using a survey to negotiate price as the seller has already offered us the house at 25k less than the estate agents valuation. I honestly don't think that there's anything that would defer us from buying - it's a great house in an even better location and we'd never normally be able to afford it.

Other than having some legal protection, would a home buyers survey be much use? Realise the post is probably better suited to another forum but curious to see what you guys think since we're all sort of waiting together!
    Originally posted by G.McC
    It's hard to say, we paid for a full 800 for a structural survey and a further 200 odd for a septic tank survey. Age of house was 1975 and in future we are doing some major work so wanted to go into it eyes wide open. It was detailed and included photos and specifically addressed areas we had asked him to focus on. It also avoids any future builders doing the whole "oh didn't you know x?" I'd either have the standard one or a full structural. Having had all three at some point, I found the Homebuyer one really not useful, it didn't tell us much of anything that my dad who is similarly to your dad by the sounds of it had picked up.

As we have been saving for a number of years paying out just over 1k in surveys was annoying, but as it's a forever home we wanted to be sure anything had been picked up on. No one can truly answer the question but my dad lifted carpets, went up loft etc and also highlighted a few things for me to then ask the surveyor (RICS) to look into more. If you don't go for the Homebuyer, don't be afraid to ask for multiple viewings or to ask for a builder, etc to Lok at any particular concerns.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Don't want to get all over excited... but we've had a call from solicitor at 12 saying everyone was REALLY ready to exchange today

Mind you then had panicked phone call from buyer saying her solicitor said ours had said we needed 2 weeks to release funds rang him and that's !!!!!!!! - he said he needed to ring me to check we hadn't changed completion date as we had less than 2 weeks left

She went off to kick her solicitor half an hour ago, I'm teaching all afternoon so can only switch phone on between classes

Will we exchange today?! Who the devil knows!
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 15th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    lovehols
    Cheery Daff - fingers crossed for exchange. Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,511Posts Today

5,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin