Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 139
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 10th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    That's great Vicki! Hope the process is smooth and quick.
    Liquoricet, they were trying probably. So good is all fine now.

We are still waiting on response from the vendor solicitor. Sent an email to EA. Didn't get answer. Is been 3 days already. Is making me nervous. Was thinking to book viewing with the same EA but not sure if I want to waste that time as there is no property of thers I like right now. Don't want to tell them we will pull out either as I am in love with the house.
    Don't know what else to do? I am not born in England and feel a bit insecure when communicating sometimes. Feel like I fail at the moment. They are not bothered even to return my email.
    My partner is not foreign but he is working so much so just doesn't have the time to chase.
    We are renting and not in a rush to move out and they know that but I just want to know where about we are.
    Do you think is a good idea to stop chasing for few weeks?
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 10th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Do you think is a good idea to stop chasing for few weeks?
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    In your case no - looking at your previous post it seems you've got no response for a month. That seems pretty poor.

In general, if I don't get a response from the EA after 3 days I would definitely chase to keep the pressure on. But it depends on what stage you are in the process and what you are waiting on the vendor's solicitors for. Your own solicitor should be able to tell you that - find out specifically what you are waiting on. Some things will take time (e.g. management packs) and it might not be the solicitors fault. You can't really chase your vendor's solicitor, so you have to get the EA to do that. Once you have a list of things you are waiting on, get the EA to chase both the vendor and the solicitor. Don't be worried about being forceful with this. The EA needs the sale to go through to get their commission so they should be on your side. Starting to view other properties or threatening to pull out of the purchase are "nuclear options" you have to give the EA and vendor a kick up the backside!
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 10th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Vampyr, thank you!
    I will be chasing every day from Monday till we get something.
    The enquiries are basic I think. 9 in total. Is about building regulation of extension, fensa certificates and eventual electric work done. Also we didn't get any fixtures and fitings.
    We are ready with searches, contract and transfer signed, Mortgage granted and mortgage deed signed. Deposit is ready to be send to solicitors.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 11th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Turns out our buyer has two companies and two solicitors. He's a property developer offering structured finance to investors, so my bet is one solicitor deals with all the investor money into one company, and the other does the conveyancing on the properties on behalf of the second company which does the renovation work on each property. It's the first solicitor who wasn't around on Friday to release the funds, but the second solicitor who was asking questions about guarantees etc on Thursday night on the first solicitor's behalf (referred to "our lender" which must be the first solicitor) - the two solicitors don't work for the same firm. I'm a financial crime investigator so I found out all the background on the second solicitor and could probably write his biography based on what I found. Anyway, hopefully we'll exchange tomorrow if the first solicitor releases the funds - nobody up the chain seems too concerned because we're not due to complete till 12th March after our vendor asked for more time to clear the smallholding.

The people moving in with us (DH's daughter and BF) are coming round today to start plotting the logistics of the move, because the people who said they'd move our 15 cats now can't do it. My blood pressure went through the roof at that point because we definitely can't fit 15 cat boxes in our car, and can't leave half behind in the house while we move the first half. It's going to involve a proper removals firm for our stuff, a hired Luton van driven possibly by BF's Dad, a hired transit van driven by the BF, two or three private cars depending on family members, and somehow keep the 15 cats away from 4 degus. The roadmap will take in Nottinghamshire, Essex, East London and Kent. It'll be like a chaotic chase with the Benny Hill theme tune (all we need is Ernie who drove the fastest milkcart in the West), but once we're in we're in. I'll never move again and they can carry me out feet first from our new property.
    Last edited by Tiglath; 11-02-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • liquoricet
    • By liquoricet 11th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    liquoricet
    Sorry, your description did make me laugh! I hope the moving is less stressful than you anticipate.

Here's hoping we both exchange tomorrow. I'm hoping it happens first thing as well. I've had enough!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 8,135 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear Tiglath!

Gosh I wish I was rich enough to hire in some kind of life admin person to do everything for me

Fingers crossed here for exchange tomorrow too else I'm going to renegotiate the completion date which I'm sure won't go down well, but with bottom of the chain's Granny still on a cruise til Thursday (and therefore apparently unable to provide proof of ID), and our buyers going on holiday on Friday, we really shouldn't have been talking dates at this point anyway as bottom of chain is not ready!

(sorry, on the warpath this morning as I've also been trying to sort out car insurance with a renewal quote more than double last year, for no reason, and they appear to have knocked 5 years off our no claims bonus - going to have to cancel and change the whole thing anyway as soon as we move but I want the right number of no claims years on the record! Sadly they won't speak to me as I'm only the named driver and bill payer and therefore not as important as my partner )

Think it's probably about time I had some breakfast
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 11th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Vampyr, thank you!
    I will be chasing every day from Monday till we get something.
    The enquiries are basic I think. 9 in total. Is about building regulation of extension, fensa certificates and eventual electric work done. Also we didn't get any fixtures and fitings.
    We are ready with searches, contract and transfer signed, Mortgage granted and mortgage deed signed. Deposit is ready to be send to solicitors.
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    Maybe not everyday but yeah I would chase every few days . The lawyers often won't send out replies until they have all 9 answers, so even if there are 8 easy questions and 1 hard one, you might not see anything or a while. The other possibility is that the vendor themselves is the holdup since a lot of those points look like questions for the vendor rather than legal things the solicitor do. Either way, definitely worth chasing.

Here's hoping we both exchange tomorrow. I'm hoping it happens first thing as well. I've had enough!
    Originally posted by liquoricet
    Fingers crossed here for exchange tomorrow too...
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Yes agreed! Good luck everyone!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 11th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Oh dear Tiglath!

Gosh I wish I was rich enough to hire in some kind of life admin person to do everything for me
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    DH doesn't work so he's doing all the chasing of people and booking services. No way could I do any of it inbetween meetings - it was bad enough taking 2 hours to go through our mortgage application over the phone and online. Didn't have my own office at that point so certain bits were done at a whisper. My work life is also insane, but we won't go there! I'm very tempted to go abroad for a week before the removals arrive and come home to the new place all unpacked - I'm not really adding any value because I don't drive (yet). I'm just a bum on a seat in a vehicle. But that wouldn't be fair - getting the removals people to pack for us the day before without letting any of the cats out of the house will be a challenge. We'll have to clear a room at a time, and herd various cats in and shut the door. I don't even want to think about it - that will be the most stressful part because there are alliances, factions and totally obnoxious mavericks. The house is already split into upstairs and downstairs zones, two semi-ferals in the middle bedroom who've never in their life been outside, another one recovering from a cancerous ear, another one in a dogcrate with metalwork in her leg, and the three amigos in the main bedroom who simply won't leave the room.

Because we're moving on a Monday, it may be the removals pack up most of our stuff on the Saturday if they don't work Sundays and store it in their lorry, and we live with minimal stuff and boxes and furious cats running wild till the Monday, living off takeaway. We've already moved the base plate along the sink unit so they can't get behind the washingmachine and hide, and we'll block up the catflap. We thought moving 2000 books and 3 cats last time was a challenge ... we'll just keep smiling and inhale coffee.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 11th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    Joining this thread very suddenly as after zero activity things started moving very quickly!

23/06 house listed on Rightmove with EA1
    20/7 discussed fees with EA1 after reading details on here, revamped rightmove ad completely as their photos were terrible and rewrote the description. EA1 not willing to negotiate on fees, they had overvalued the property for the market and despite us reducing it significantly, still wanted their fixed fee, as is their right I suppose. For the record, their fixed fee was equivalent to 4% of the property value now it had been reduced and we were locked in to a 6 month contract.
    15/08 got tired of poor quality viewers EA1 was sending over that had no interest to buy (EA on the day was even saying 'yeah they view all our houses, have done for past 2 years but never offer'!), tried one more time to negotiate a fee and said if not willing to negotiate would price back to their original valuation which wont sell and wait out the contract. No movement on their side, so price increased.
    01/12 requested quotes from other EA's, played off the ones we liked best and had the best local presence and negotiated 12 week contract with EA2 for 1.2% fee, due to go live mid Jan
    23/1 Ad goes live on Rightmove with new EA2
    30/1 first house viewing with new EA2, asking price offer next day
    31/1 Solicitors instructed for sale
    1/2-9/2 Many, Many house viewings, viewed every house that met our criteria in area we were looking to move to
    9/2 first 2 offers rejected, 3rd offer accepted on property with l loads of space that meets all our needs
    12/2 meeting our mortgage broker to go through the full application. Previously had an AIP but it had expired but should not be an issue
    12/2 solicitors instructed, DIP Accept decision received, only asked for payslips

Brings us to today. Well, tomorrow! Financially we should be fine, but we are concerned now as we both do matched betting and we stopped when we first listed the house, but as no progress was being made and house sales take ages to go through etc, we started up again as the money it makes is too good to turn down.

This has all moved very very quickly and its caught us out, so mortgage broker is going to use a lender that is less likely to ask for statements as we have read that if they review statements they only count money going out through betting not money coming back in, in which case it will look like a car crash despite regular profit. The worrying starts now I guess! We both have very good credit and have never missed any payments or had any arrears so hoping it goes through fine. Fingers crossed as it wont be taken off the market until survey is booked in and we confirm we are happy with the results.

Update: DIP accepted and they only asked for payslips, woohoo.
    Last edited by ashe; 12-02-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 12th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Oh Tiglath that sounds like a massive organising exercise - good luck with the planning on that one and hope the cats play ball with you!!

When we moved my biggest worry was the cat as she was a previous feral rescue and hates being picked up and we only really get one chance to get her in a crate!
    I had tried leaving the crate out for weeks with the door open and treats inside to get her comfortable going into it!!
    We moved out and later that day I went round to find her on the drive sat there wondering what was going on. My son picked her up and lowered her into the crate and we got her in to our relief and drove round to the new house and as we had moved in that day we could just let her out into one room (dining room) for me that was the most stressful part of the move!!

we are all fingers and toes crossed that we hear from our solicitors this week (friday will be their expedited day to sort the land registry boundary and as far as we know thats the current bottleneck.......roll on Friday!!!

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 12th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Well....I tried to chase up for an update with land registry - they are surprisingly vigilant on their website, unfortunately they will only update the solicitors not me, so they called the solicitors who then called me, no real information, slightly worrying as they said that the survey results needed to be reviewed by the lawyers - I know I shouldn't worry and it will do no good but now they cannot give me a date even though its expedited.

Going to have to find ways of occupying myself, something that doesn't involve eating as I have just comfort polished off a load of fluffy pancakes that I made yesterday morning for my daughter and her friends (I over estimated how much they would eat and now paying the price)

Seriously though this house conveyancing isn't good for my mental and physical health!!!

So as its half term its likely to go slowly - it will probably all happen next week as I have a business trip and won't be contactable easily on Mon and Tues - so bound to happen then!!

Working from home most of this week so will be boring you all with my ranting! In the office tomorrow and will make a nice little interlude by discussing kitchen plans at a showroom (hopefully when we have the money from this sale)

Hope its a productive and communicative week for everyone - I hate the radio silence.....

SLM
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 8,135 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Welcome Ashe, hope things go smoothly for you!

SLM I'm eating my way through our house move too

Been sorting out topping up the LPG tank this morning - it's would be helpful if I knew how empty 'nearly empty' was, but I don't without going round again. Going to sort an interim top up delivery as soon as we have a completion date, but they need 10 days notice at the minute so have emailed the solicitor saying if we don't exchange soon we'll have to change dates. He's emailed buyers solicitor (probably useless as it's THEIR buyer who is holding things up, not them - we're all waiting for Granny to get back from a cruise to confirm her ID and that she donated the deposit )

Can't see anything happening this week but I least I know who to ring to sort the gas out when it eventually does happen
    • liquoricet
    • By liquoricet 12th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    liquoricet
    We've exchanged! Apparently our buyers were still trying it on today and asked to wait another week to exchange!

So relieved that it's finally happened. Now to sort out all the moving stuff.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 12th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    We've exchanged! Apparently our buyers were still trying it on today and asked to wait another week to exchange!

So relieved that it's finally happened. Now to sort out all the moving stuff.
    Originally posted by liquoricet
    Great news!!!
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 12th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Wow liquoricet, great news! When are you going to complete?

I am chasing today. No success as EA is not in the office, our solicitor is on holiday.
    Yesterday went to see the house from the outside. Wanted to make sure there is no skip or something like that outside. I notice there is still a sign For sale in the entrance of the cul de sac not infront of the property. The funny thing is that sign wasn't there when we went to view it. The house is marked as Sold on Rm and our offer is 1k on top of the asking price. Maybe they just forgot the sign?
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 12th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Don't understand why sols are so uncommunicative...

Emailed ours on the 1st to ask for an update. She emails back on the 5th saying "I've received xyz, I've also made some enquiries, which I will send to you shortly".........I've not heard from her since. Guess that's another chaser!!
    House Deposit:12,570.12/14,000 = 89.78% Money Made'17 August: 41.04July:
    June: 5.35 May:30.30April: 51.09March:28.25Feb: 120.47 Jan:14.35
    Total Made '16:284.60
    • ashe
    • By ashe 12th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    Don't understand why sols are so uncommunicative...

Emailed ours on the 1st to ask for an update. She emails back on the 5th saying "I've received xyz, I've also made some enquiries, which I will send to you shortly".........I've not heard from her since. Guess that's another chaser!!
    Originally posted by ChicaBonita

i assume its because they take so much on and then firefight which cases to deal with based on oldest work. When you read their breakdown of charges for each solicitor grade its really expensive so for what you pay after disbursements there's probably not a huge amount of man-hours involved! Just a lot of little individual tasks.
    • BlueTwiglet
    • By BlueTwiglet 12th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    BlueTwiglet
    Best of luck Tiglath! Sounds like it would be simpler to run a military operation!

Congratulations liquoricet!

Another stressful day here. After being told the DoC was the only enquiry left outstanding, which was dealt with on Thursday, my EA emailed me this afternoon to say the buyers solicitors still had enquiries outstanding that my solicitor was avoiding.

I sent my solicitor a bit of a blunt email asking what on earth was going on and why I was being informed of different things from different sides. I also rang the EA and had a bit of a grumble, asking if they could confirm what enquiries were outstanding so I could chase my solicitor.

My solicitor finally emailed back (after what felt like an eternity but it was only an hour) confirming that she had dealt with a number of further enquiries from the buyers solicitors this morning and we just need confirmation now from the management company that we are not in arrears (even though the site hasn't been adopted yet and no official agreement entered into as a result).

So all in all, not the end of the world but getting increasingly stressed and a bit fed up of getting false hope all the time.

Considering buying a bottle of wine and a funnel on the way home.....
    • liquoricet
    • By liquoricet 12th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    liquoricet
    It is so frustrating waiting and not knowing what you're actually waiting for, I feel your pain BlueTwiglet and Chica!

Amanda, we're completing 23rd so enough time to sort ourselves out before the move.
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 12th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    i,m back
    My timeline
    Got mortgage dip 06/17
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 07/17 (I know should have had an offer on mine first)
    Solicitors Instructed 07/17
    Cash buyer made offer for mine 08/17
    Contracts ready to sign 10/17
    My buyer falls off the rader 11/17 still no idea where he went
    House I was buying goes back on market 11/17 and gets offer
    I get a private buyer for my house 12/17
    Rejig mortgage 01/17
    I find a new house and get offer accepted last week of Dec17
    Complete my slae and move in with family 26/01/17
    Awaiting my purchase to catch up chased 02/17

So I was told the chain is not progressing ,I have the sellers number so I textd and am told the house he is buying was wrongly listed as freehold and the owner is now buying the lease which will delay things

Not sure how long I can wait before I start looking for a chain free property as I am completely worn out with the whole process
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin