Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,514Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 137
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 7th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Not quite waiting to exchange but I'm stressed out over trying to find a house! We found one we loved to the end of the earth with a guide price of 200-210k, but before we could even put an offer in two people had already offered 205k, and we just didn't think it was worth the 210k price to get in a bidding war.

We found another property and are haggling over 2k atm, they were really quick to respond at first but I think they are delaying it on purpose on hopes that we will raise the offer when they come back to us. So tempted to e-mail them to push them forward, I'm on night shift tomorrow so don't want them calling me back during the day.

On solictors note Eddows Waldron in Derby were amazing for us all the way through, we're in Sheffield now and going to use them again despite most likely at some point we'll have to make one trip all the way up to see them but we had a few issues with buyers solictors that dragged out our sale and these always responded well to e-mails. It was also the cheapest quote I had, not by much, but it was still the cheapest.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • Astrac
    • By Astrac 7th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Astrac
    16 weeks into the conveyance process and I am still at the first step, i.e. waiting for the seller's side to produce the leasehold management pack. Would it be a good idea at this point to just threaten to walk away if they don't get their act together?
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 7th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Some progress for me!!!8230;.sort of. EA told me yesterday that middle of the chain has sorted their money situation and have instructed their solicitor to exchange. I haven!!!8217;t heard anything from my solicitor though. I!!!8217;ll believe it when I see it.
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 7th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    No news today. Unless we hear some positive news in relation to our purchase in the morning, we will have to resign ourselves to moving into store and going into temporary accommodation, as we wont have enough notice for the bank to release mortgage funds for the 16th. Moving during the week of the 19th wont be the end of the world as its our half term week, but I would have liked to have the 10 straight days off to play at prettying up the new house! Ah well, what will be will be. At least I know that both us and our solicitor are doing all that we can to push things along.
    On the other hand, its exchange day for the sale tomorrow, hurrah! The buyers solicitor has the cash, and its the only transaction in the chain, so hopefully it will all happen without hiccups.
    Astrac - sounds like you need to at least threaten to walk away! That sounds like an inexplicable hold up and would have me worrying that they dont actually want to sell.
    Vampyr - hooray for progress. Hope your solicitor confirms it tomorrow! End in sight?
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 7th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Vampyr - hooray for progress. Hope your solicitor confirms it tomorrow! End in sight?
    Originally posted by JaneyLouWho
    Feels more like “carrot on a stick” than “end in sight”! As always, I’ll believe it when I see it!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 39,537 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    So, the saga continues...

Solicitor has had a fax from our buyers' solicitor, confirming THEY are ready to exchange, but their buyers are not. Then why are we talking dates?? Our buyers themselves have tecnically been ready since November (as have we) but without THEIR buyer being ready, none of us are ACTUALLY ready at all

Buyers' buyer (bottom of chain) has now paid deposit, they now have confirmation that lender will release funds, BUT deposit is a gift,and buyer has not yet provided ID docs for person it came from - who is now on a bloody cruise til 15th

For goodness sake

They're trying to get docs from the cruise but quite clearly that won't happen, so it'll be 15th before they're actually ready at the earliest - and our buyers are going on holiday themselves on 16th.

So at this stage we shouldn't really have been talking dates at all - and 26th is almost certainly off the cards unless they get ID docs while still on cruise as I am NOT leaving less than a week between exchange and completion.

Stupid thing is, I was being quite patient waiting for new person to be ready - until they started acting like they were when actually they weren't and now I'm just cross

Oh well, on the bright side, if it goes into March we'll have another month of savings, and I'll only have a couple of weeks left to work before easter...
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 7th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    RXT156
    Oh goodness Cheery! How annoying that things are taking so long. Surely someone would have mentioned before about ID being needed!?!? Fingers crossed it all gets sorted soon. You seem to be kept in the loop quite well by all involved so I guess that's something?!

I have had some good news today....! Exchange creeping ever closer. I am ready to exchange, seller is ready but there's 1-2 outstanding enquiries for my seller's seller. Then we should be good to go!!! Hoping that it'll all happen before half term as I'll be off for the whole week but that may be pushing it somewhat. Fingers crossed
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 7th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    DH threw a wobbly on the phone to the estate agent today, pointing out that not only are we living in limbo, it's affecting our work life as well. I can't plan training and regulatory stuff. Upshot: someone higher up in the chain (possibly part of the divorcing couple) has agreed to drop a planned purchase, so we think the chain has shrunk back to 5 parties and that missing signature is now out of the equation. Hoping to exchange by the end of the week.

Our vendor has asked for another extension to the completion date to 12th March (yes it's a Monday); we and our buyer have agreed, and hopefully the rest of the chain will agree. He's elderly, frail, and has decades of stuff to sort through. We'd already passed on the message that we don't mind if he needs to leave junk behind, because we can always find a use for it or get rid of it. Thousands of books, houseplants the size of triffids, a garage and workshop full of tools and bits and bobs, double haybarn filled with God knows what. Even the outside loo is full of deckchairs and garden stuff. He's already rehomed the geese and chickens; at one point we thought we'd inherit them as well.

So fingers crossed for exchange by the end of Friday.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 7th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 3,238 Posts
    • 6,640 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    RXT and Vampyr, great that you've had some good news

Astrac, I'd definitely threaten to walk in your position.....it can't hurt, surely?

Janey, sorry you've not progressed any further with your purchase - hope you don't end up in limbo land like us At least your sale is exchanging though.....hope that all goes according to plan tomorrow!

Cheery, what a flipping palava! And what terrible timing that just as the cruise/deposit person returns, your buyers head off......you'll look back and laugh one day, but right now what a faff!

Tiglath, that seems promising for exchange this week! Sounds like the place your buying is similar to one we lost out on - a probate sale that went to best & finals. The four beneficiaries didn't want the hassle of clearing the place, so as part of our offer we said we'd be perfectly happy to take the house *as is* complete with three barns full of tools, rooms with lovely antique dressers and all kinds of interesting stuff and a fair bit of junk. The other buyer (not yet SSTC) wanted it emptied and we were told we were the favoured buyers - close to exchange, no mortgage, no survey - but we lost out. The books alone - not to mention those triffids - at your place would excite me......but I am a bit odd, lol!

Still, we do have an ancient undercroft to explore if we ever get the keys to our new place......who knows what might be lurking down there
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 8th Feb 18, 8:15 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Aliliva
    This forum is turning in the best support group ever no sign of my vendor's solicitor or of the EA, as apparently they're both on holiday till next week. But I'm on my way to a city escape too, so hopefully I'll manage to lock away the house thoughts till Monday... Crazy thing is, when we booked this weekend I was worried cause it was planned to be the week after completion! Silly me hoping everything would be smooth and plain sailing
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 8th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    16 weeks into the conveyance process and I am still at the first step, i.e. waiting for the seller's side to produce the leasehold management pack. Would it be a good idea at this point to just threaten to walk away if they don't get their act together?
    Originally posted by Astrac
    I'd definitely be having stern words about their intentions. You can't buy a house someone doesn't want to sell, and they don't sound like they want to sell it...

Mortgage- £415,749
    BTL- £162,915

• JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 8th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Gave authority to exchange on the sale this morning - just awaiting confirmation that it has all gone ahead but apparently one of the buyers is in training this morning, so unable to give authority until after 12.30pm. Will be email watching after then for sure!

Radio silence on the purchase. My solicitor, bless her, is chasing daily but its not looking good for a completion date for next week. Hi ho, hi ho, its off to store we go!

Hope others make some progress today. Astrac, let us know what you decide to do!
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 8th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Vampyr
    EA thinks we're ready to exchange and has thought that for a few days now.

My solicitor is completely silent and hasn't replied to my email.

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 3,238 Posts
    • 6,640 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    How's it going, Janey? Is no news, good news? Fingers crossed you're celebrating Sympathies on the storage front - and hope you don't need to take out a mortgage to pay for it, as we nearly did, lol! We needed 2 x 150 sq ft units - or should that be cubed? - in the end

What about everyone else......any further progress? Keeping everything crossed someone exchanges today!

Vicki, what happened to the offer you received/other viewings? Any luck with those?

Vampyr, we've not heard anything from our solicitor either, since we emailed to say the signed draft contracts were on their way back to him.......so much for me singing his praises yesterday

As for the EA dealing with the house we're buying - can't get hold of her either........grrrr!

Actually, on the subject of storage, we're reliving the horrors of the 26th today as we're having to put more stuff in, due to needing to empty our unfurnished temporary home ahead of vacating tomorrow.....happy days! I hate to say it, but I'm almost looking forward to being *homeless* as it means we can relax in a hotel for a few days......

• Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 8th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    How to even get an update on our purchase? 1 month since enquiries sent to seller's solicitors. He is buying an empty property cash. Our solicitor says she doesn't get back from sellers solicitors. EA is saying sellers solicitors are slow and he chase them on number of cases.
    Please, can you give me an idea what to do next. My friend is saying to call the EA again and say that we will pull off if there is no update in a week time. Is that a good idea?
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 8th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Amanda_cm the problem you've got is that you can't contact that solicitors firm yourself to complain. But you can encourage the EA to get your vendor to complain - sometimes a letter or call to the senior partner at the firm will work. Do you intend to pull out though? If not I would perhaps hold back that card. But tell the vendors EA that you're looking at other properties now and ask for that message to be given to your vendor. Even better if you book a viewing with their EA. Save a pull out threat for if that doesn't work.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    • 3,238 Posts
    • 6,640 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Amanda_cm the problem you've got is that you can't contact that solicitors firm yourself to complain. But you can encourage the EA to get your vendor to complain - sometimes a letter or call to the senior partner at the firm will work. Do you intend to pull out though? If not I would perhaps hold back that card. But tell the vendors EA that you're looking at other properties now and ask for that message to be given to your vendor. Even better if you book a viewing with their EA. Save a pull out threat for if that doesn't work.
    Originally posted by JoJo1978
    This ^

I'd definitely make them panic by arranging to view some other properties through the same EA You don't have to be seriously interested - although, who knows, you might stumble upon something you prefer - just appear keen enough to force the EA to exert some pressure and your vendor to start playing ball.....

Well, no sooner were the words "we've not heard anything from our solicitor" out of my lips, than DH got back from the storage facility and said he'd received a call from him.

Exchange on the repo is set for Monday - we just need to get over there first (3 hrs from where we are today, but who knows where we'll be Monday, lol!) to check it's still standing - with completion later next week.......yay

He did say they need us to sign some kind of waiver exonerating them from any blame should we get issues, because we opted to have no searches to speed up the process and of course none of their queries were addressed by the lender selling the property

Come on peeps, someone somewhere must have exchanged today?!?

• BlueTwiglet
    • By BlueTwiglet 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    BlueTwiglet
    Ugh, had a bit of a nightmare this morning so I have come here to rant a little bit.

I am selling a three year old new build property and the site has only recently been completed. I received an email from my solicitor regarding the management company who are adopting the site. I was kindly informed that I needed to pay near enough £400 in order to obtain a Deed of Covenant (but £50 I chose to pay in order to expedite, otherwise it would have taken twelve working days!).

Not really having prepared for that expense I was a bit taken aback. Nevertheless, I emailed the management company for their details - they emailed back and I paid the money across. The email requested that I call the management company when the payment was made for them to ensure the funds were received.

I called and spoke to the representative who had dealt with my solicitor yesterday. She confirmed the payment had been received and then asked me if I was the seller or the buyer. When I said I was the seller, she told me my solicitor had misinformed me and it was the buyers cost to bear.

They had the money so I told them to press on anyway and I would haggle over the disbursement later. I emailed my solicitor and they came back to apologise and said they will get the money reimbursed for me at completion. If the buyer is not happy to cover the cost then I will be asking that my solicitors deduct it from their fees for the misinformation I was given.

Hopefully now that is everything needed and we can start talking dates.....

Good luck to everyone on here, I would address everyone individually but I think my post would end up more like an essay!
    • liquoricet
    • By liquoricet 8th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    liquoricet
    Gutted. Our cash buyers are £15k short. They suggested we loan them the amount but we no longer trust them to find the money. They claim they'll have it in a month or two. As they're Muslim they don't want to get a mortgage.

So tomorrow we'll tell our solicitors and our chain will collapse.

Current 'plan' is to accept we've probably lost the house we wanted and consider whether we put our house on the market. Depending on how quickly we decide to do that their 'offer' will be an option and if they prove they've the money we'll get exchanged with an open completion date and look again. We'll also see if we get any other offers.

Very disappointed
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 8th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Ugh, that sounds a bit of a nightmare BlueTwiglet! Hopefully they get it back for you no problem.

We exchanged on the sale today. I think I am supposed to be more excited I would be a trillion times more excited if we had any news whatsoever on our purchase, but again we are dealing with different information from different parties about how far we have progressed. My solicitor tells me the solicitor above has been told that the purchase above my sellers was due to have local searches back today, then we would be ready to proceed. Sellers estate agent says they will be back on Monday, and even then the conveyancing might not be ready. I have told the estate agent that I am getting misinformation from somewhere, and she seems to give zero hoots. She refused to call up the chain to get accurate info, basically telling me I just have to sit tight and be patient. Not a strong point of mine! Anyway, at least the sale exchange happened, just the small point of packing up and moving out into store between now and next Thursday.

Phoebe - storage costs are not too extortionate, £57 per week including VAT which isnt so bad for a 5 bed house I didnt think.

Keep obsessively checking the house on Rightmove to see when it says -no longer on the market-
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,695Users online

Martin's Twitter