PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cheers all, and good luck! I feel your pain and we both had quite the meltdown last night after all the stress of the last few weeks (not helped by having the police round as they suspect our next door neighbour is being ripped off by roofers, and we're now worried they're going to cause damage to ours! Her roof is pretty much off!).

kezwoz wrote: »

We started our mortgage application on 8/06/2017, and it finally went through on 10/08/2017 (very long and stupid process asking loads of questions to which they already had the answers so a lot of back and forth)

Don't forget the mortgage offer will prob expire after 6 months (I had one for 3 months once and had to extend - was a nightmare). Hopefully it won't take until Feb, but be prepared, and check it is for 6!

Good luck!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • juniordoc
    Options
    Having been on the verge of exchange for a week or 2, it looks like it might actually be happening tomorrow.
    Hope so as we have notice on our rental yesterday. Completion planned for 1st Dec, time to have a pre-packing clear-out this weekend I think!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There have been a fair few meltdowns here too :o Can't believe you're now having a roof fiasco too Hazyjo :eek:

Good luck juniordoc!

Welcome kezwoz, what a dreadful situation, hope you don't have to wait for too long.

We had an email this morning to say our new mortgage offer was issued yesterday :j :j I won't believe it til I see it with my own eyes, mind you :eek: Emailed the seller's estate agent to say we're fine with the survey results, but could they ask them to check the boiler (the house is empty and boiler showing an error code - they said it was working originally). Hope that doesn't delay anything - I've said we'll get on with anything else that needs doing in the meantime!

Just waiting to hear the solicitor has the new mortgage offer now (and hoping ours arrives in the post today)
  • jarshay
    jarshay Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations to Purplepenguin, Vixki & Hazyjo!

We were due to exchange yesterday, revised completion date pushed back a couple of days and guess what, the vendor wouldn't answer phone to her conveyancers to confirm revised completion date. So back we go again.

I am actually crying with the stress of it. I'm a tough cookie, I've lived through a hell of a lot but I'm about to fall apart with this.

You’ll get there @dancing_star .... just keep having a glass on wine whenever there is something annoying out of your control that happens - its been helping me a great deal! LOL
    Mortgage for £212000 - 10/17 for 35 years!
    Aiming to overpay each year as close to 10% as possible!
  • jarshay
    Options
    kezwoz wrote: »
    So I have to post on here, even if it is just to vent about our exchange woes.

We are FTB, currently living with parents with our 7yo daughter and buying a tiny little 2 bed ex-rental property through purple bricks, so no chain either side, super simple I thought originally.

Decision in principle was easy and went through straight away with our fantastic mortgage advisor sorting it out.

Our offer was accepted 26/05/2017, lower than asking which was great.

We started our mortgage application on 8/06/2017, and it finally went through on 10/08/2017 (very long and stupid process asking loads of questions to which they already had the answers so a lot of back and forth)

Survey completed 15/08/2017, no major issues.

Contracts signed and returned to conveyance 16/09/2017

On 20/09/2017 after pestering our conveyancer to try and get answers as to whats' going on, she tells us that after talking to the solicitors for the other side she is now aware that unfortunately the seller has passed away. This happened at some point between July and August, but we were not made aware.
    So now we are waiting for the probate to go through. The seller's wife is very nice and has let us go to the property again but unfortunately we have absolutely no idea how long the process is going to take, in part due to the seller dying abroad.
    Although I feel awful for the family, I can't help but feel annoyed that if we had known sooner we would have been able to withdraw and buy another property in that time, prior to paying for the survey etc.
    It is just a waiting game now, every day seems to bring up a new dramas in this process (the conveyancer has also had a death in the family) and every week where we don't complete is a week closer to Christmas.

But at least we are a healthy and happy family and are ok with living with the parents for a bit longer. With the awful, sad deaths it has certainly put things into perspective, although I would very much like the exchange and get into my house soon!

Good luck to everyone else who is in a waiting boat!
    What an awful situation - sorry about the deaths, but it would have been courteous to have at least let you know.

Finger crossed for you that it all goes through quickly and that you can have an amazing first Christmas as a family in your own new home!
  • jarshay
    Options
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Having been on the verge of exchange for a week or 2, it looks like it might actually be happening tomorrow.
    Hope so as we have notice on our rental yesterday. Completion planned for 1st Dec, time to have a pre-packing clear-out this weekend I think!
    Hope it finally happens for you - we’ve been on the verge to exchange for 2 weeks now then found out from my solicitor when I called for an update after they went silent (again), that we are set to exchange and complete tomorrow - I was livid, but estatic at the same time.

Fingers crossed this all happens for us both!
  • jarshay
    Options
    There have been a fair few meltdowns here too :o Can't believe you're now having a roof fiasco too Hazyjo :eek:

Good luck juniordoc!

Welcome kezwoz, what a dreadful situation, hope you don't have to wait for too long.

We had an email this morning to say our new mortgage offer was issued yesterday :j :j I won't believe it til I see it with my own eyes, mind you :eek: Emailed the seller's estate agent to say we're fine with the survey results, but could they ask them to check the boiler (the house is empty and boiler showing an error code - they said it was working originally). Hope that doesn't delay anything - I've said we'll get on with anything else that needs doing in the meantime!

Just waiting to hear the solicitor has the new mortgage offer now (and hoping ours arrives in the post today)
    Congrats! I know the stress of waiting for a mortgage offer!!
  • spendinglikemad
    Options
    Hi everyone - sounds like there are some struggles going on and hugs to all going through this, I am sure it will work out. We exchanged and completed on our new/forever house in April and now got a buyer for our 'old' house - yipeee so I am tracking the exchange from a sellers perspective rather than a buyer:

30 Oct - Offer accepted after some negotiation over a week (previous offer withdrawn as buyers couldn't secure mortgage but now can!)
    6 Nov - Notification of Sale Received & seller forms and docs dropped at Solicitors
    16 Nov- Survey (looks like mortgage valuation) booked to take place

Does anyone know if I need to let the EA know that the valuation is taking place? I was surprised they called me to arrange it rather than the EA but I guess it makes sense as its my house!

SLM
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Might as well let them know spendinglikemad - then they can keep track of progress and let the buyer know.

Thanks jarshay. I'd be livid too if I found out we were both exchanging AND completing tomorrow :eek: No time to sort out anything!
  • Superclarkkent
    Options
    Offer accepted in February on a tenanted property
    Vendor issued section 21 in March
    Applied to court for possession in May
    Possession order granted in September
    Warrant for Possession applied for and finally received on 30th October
    Bailiffs going in on 15th November
    All other legals, mortgage etc have been sorted along the way so with any luck and all being well following an inspection after eviction:
    Exchange on 17th
    Completion on 17th
    Builders in on 20th!

Good thing I've not been in a rush!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills